diagnostic sidebar - this new one is very impressive

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/41x7xa/couldnt_find_a_simple_diagnostic_sidebar_so_i/
VD7OiLR.png

Pretty cool for those who like very clean but informative system sidebars;)

Dev "ArcadeRenegade" keeps updating almost daily....just gets better and better. I hope people who can afford it give donations. first time i have seen a side bar that can actually be used as a fancy osd in some cases.

This is extremely cool. Unfortunately, it won't run as a non-admin. And I can't for the life of me schedule it to run as an interactive task as my admin account.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll just say I've got too many years in infosec: Windows admin ~ Linux root; principle of least privilege.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll just say I've got too many years in infosec: Windows admin ~ Linux root; principle of least privilege.

well you might ask the dev if he can change it to work.....i asked to for a minor change regarding decimals and had changed the following day. It may not be possible i guess

Great app but the reddit thread is crap. I tried explaining to one of the commenters that Windows 10 already has .NET Framework 4.6 but it appears a mod or the OP decided to nuke my post. The OP/dev recommended using the 4.5 version but that doesn't address the cluelessness regarding Windows 10.

It irks me that I can't give pertinent information, especially when it addresses what was being asked.

Since there didn't seem to be a simple sidebar diagnostics tool out there for Windows, this guy decided to make his own. The layout is great, works on multiple monitors and can be customized but, at least for some people, it seems to have a few glitches when it comes to displaying some system information. Hit the link if you want to give it a try. Thanks to primetime for the heads up! Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my work rig.

Anyone else have issues with CPU speed being off and mislabeled hardware?

My CPU speed is reading as 4.2GHz instead of 4.4GHz
My GTX 980Ti is being reported as a GTX Titan X

This used to be the best part of Windows "gadget / widget" platform. Paired with Aida64.

Heh, when Windows ditched the gadget platform, I bought a Deathstalker Ultimate keyboard just for the LCD to display all that info from Aida64.

1502373_10151793965512204_811196257_o.jpg

That said, Aida does do an overlay that works in Win8/10 as well. It's just not an open source program.

Since there didn't seem to be a simple sidebar diagnostics tool out there for Windows, this guy decided to make his own. The layout is great, works on multiple monitors and can be customized but, at least for some people, it seems to have a few glitches when it comes to displaying some system information. Hit the link if you want to give it a try. Thanks to primetime for the heads up! Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my work rig.

Steve if i had to guess its reading correctly...as in the results of some type of c-state or other type of power saving...mine reports 2291 sometimes during very idle usage....thats c-states working on mine...depending on what i set the polling rate to makes a little difference as well. Does yours report correctly while the cpu is under a heavy usage? as in when power saving is not in effect? lol i have no clue how it mislabels your hardware.....unless they really gave you a titan x lol

Untitled_zpshdbd6oiw.png

Last edited:
There is something similar to this already, it is from Sysinternals/Microsoft and is called BGinfo.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bginfo.aspx

Ah, yes, I remember this one.
I also remember writing a very similar piece of software for Linux (KDE).
It collected data from sensors and such, used imagemagick to apply the diagnostic messages onto the background and IIRC then it used some KDE API to place the new background over the old one.

This is way better than spending time trying to get rainmeter juuuust right.

Steve if i had to guess its reading correctly...as in the results of some type of c-state or other type of power saving...

POWER SAVING???? HOW DARE YOU!!! This is the [H]! It's all cores, all the time, 100%, 24/7 and all that other stuff ;)

I installed the 452 version and it works fine now. :cool:

I installed the 452 build and it is working well, Thanks for this.

I wish it had a way to make it fade to the side or hide but other than that it's very nice and gives a lot of info.

looks really cool, gonna test it when i get home.

But isn't the term diagnostic kinda wrong ? It's a hardware monitor software. I see no diagnostic capabilities or am i I just missing something ?

I just wanted to provide an update - I was able to get this to run interactively as an admin, while logged on as my standard user account, using the RunasRob utility.

Wow...really impressed. If the author added some weather info in the blank space, I think I'd actually pay for this. Looking forward to more updates.

Back