Diablotek PHD650 650W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Diablotek PHD650 650W Power Supply Review - There is no better mix than the Devil and technology, but that aside, how the devil does that work out for power supplies? We aim to find out and as we all know, when it comes to PSUs, the devil is in the details. Surely this PSU is straight from Hell.

FAIL_250-Forum.jpg

Last edited:
I used to own a Diablotek case. It was a nice looking case on the outside but not great on the inside. I'd never touch a PSU from them though.

With that quality, I guess you got off light.

It did not go and blow the hell out of your test equipment atleast :D

I used to own a Diablotek case. It was a nice looking case on the outside but not great on the inside. I'd never touch a PSU from them though.

Was it a Diaboliq case? I have that one. The legs broke off, the motherboard never would sit right with the back panel (like the dimensions were wrong for an ATX motherboard), and you had to slightly bend the brackets of add-in cards to get them to go through these little metal hoops the case had. Oh, and I had to cut off part of the handle for the motherboard tray too because they put it smack dab where most motherboards put their side-tilted connections.

Really I only clicked this review in hopes of seeing a flaming power supply picture, or a picture of a melted lump of metal. In this regard you have disappointed me HardOCP - a popping sound and that's it? Bah!

These are by far my favorite power supply reviews. These days, excellent power supplies are plentiful, and if you don't need 500+ Watts (even many enthusiasts don't), you can have a great PSU that will last years for $50. But it's good and very important that the reviewers for equipment that's relevant to hobby/occupation make light of the products that are likely to do more harm than good, and cheap PSUs are the worst offenders. It's good to have solid numbers and reasoning as to why one would recommend that people stay very, very far away from junk like this, especially in the cases where the equipment is quite prolific. I've found Diablotek crap at almost all of the B&M computer stores locally. *shudder*

Nice write-up, Paul, and keep up the good PSU reviews here at [H].

Good review guys. Thanks for the heads up on these rubbish brands.

Brilliant! I agree that these are the most valuable reviews. We all know Corsair, Seasonic and the like are solid units and while reviews of the latest Antec TruPower unit is interesting, we pretty much know its gonna do well. It's these reviews that let us know about the other brands we don't know about as much but may be tempted to buy.

I think it was JG who reviewed their 1050W unit. It made it to about 500W then died as well. I am happy someone else reviewed another of their units so I can now point to two reviews of Diablotek units, neither of them good. Sure they have lights, but there is more to a PSU then having a blue/red light and costing less then $50.

Loved the review guys. This hopefully will get back to some stockholders.

not trying to get off topic but are you guys gonna look at anymore ultra x psu's thats pretty much all compusas stores push nowadays.........well they push more ultra products then they do corsair,seasonic.

The last time I was at Microcenter Diablotek had more shelf footage than any other brand.

probably moves more units than anything else.

hey, look, the Diablotek 650W is cheaper than that stupid Seasonic 650W!! WTF is that stupid price gouging Seasonic thinking!?

Paul, I wish you wouldn't hold back when you summarize your PSU review! Tell us how you really feel.

Hehe I was wondering how this brand did :D now I know! And what the heck? Register your product within 30 days or no warranty for you? Lame!

I have been at this for over a decade and that is the first time I have ever quoted and article that said "polish a turd with a turd." :eek:

We have Diablotek PSUs at our store, I think we get them mainly for the MicroATX form-factor than anything else, but I guess we have to get the regular ATX ones to buy the others... don't see any other reason we'd have them. Not that the Ultra LS PSU's are winners, but (almost) anything would be better than these monstrosities.

Powers supplies really are the heart of the system. I'm glad to see a reviewer pointing out in no BS, plain english when a PSU is flat out threatening to your hardware. PSUs like this need to be removed from the market.

What surprises me is that in a time where consumers are increasingly well informed (hopefully), a new company chooses to take its first step by putting its worst foot forward.

Surely we've grown out of the whole PC Chips and fake 486 cache debacle.

Hah, made my day.

650W couldn't push 450W. I always thought Chinese were good at math but, apparently not. :p

I have been at this for over a decade and that is the first time I have ever quoted and article that said "polish a turd with a turd." :eek:

I'll work on something new for the next decade ;)

HardOCP is the only place where i come to read power supply reviews. Honest and unbiased opinions and heavy, hardcore testing. These kind of reviews should be the only reviews allowed to be posted on the internet. There are many websites that could learn ALOT from HardOCP. Thanks again guys.:cool:

Great work as usual [H]. I only buy power supplies that get reviewed here, and what is funny is that every time im shopping for one i often go to the Ultra X2 750 review for a laugh (note: im easily entertained). Now, we have a new source of power supply comedy.

Thanks [H] crew!

This just makes me want to say. Please die in a fire Diablotek, now. Don't wait, BURN YOURSELF TO SAVE COMPUTER PARTS.

Nice!
If anyone ever tries to tell me [H]ardocp doesn't call it like it like they see it, this is the kind of stuff I point them too AFTER I smack them. This article wasn't just a review it was a public service announcement on what PSU NOT to buy.

My Engineer friend went to a trade show in China where a vendor had a stack of identical power supplies, and a selection of stickers with different power ratings on them. When you ordered power supplies from them you also specified which sticker you wanted stuck to them.

Well DUH, they warned you --- Spanish SATAN Tek!

Maybe that would help their marketing...?

It really says a lot when the most positive praise you can give to a product is that it didn't make your testing equipment break.:D

I <3 this PSU.

My Engineer friend went to a trade show in China where a vendor had a stack of identical power supplies, and a selection of stickers with different power ratings on them. When you ordered power supplies from them you also specified which sticker you wanted stuck to them.

LOL.

Those are Chinese watts, Ii is an honest mistake, they were converted from Chinese horsepower.

I don't know why but I enjoy the reviews of crappy power supplies more than the good ones. :D

HardOCP is the only place where i come to read power supply reviews. Honest and unbiased opinions and heavy, hardcore testing. These kind of reviews should be the only reviews allowed to be posted on the internet. There are many websites that could learn ALOT from HardOCP. Thanks again guys.:cool:

HardOCP isn't the only good PSU reviewer. Jonnyguru's PSU reviews are every bit as good.

I am so glad you review stuff like this!

I feel sorry for the poor souls who think they can run their SLI setups at 600 watts for hour on end with this bad boy.

I think it was JG who reviewed their 1050W unit. It made it to about 500W then died as well.

Yup. I know this because I personally contributed part of the money to purchase the unit for review because I was curious, and of course Diablotek probably doesn't send them out for review (how did HardOCP get theirs?).

Back