Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

When I started the server slam there was the occasional stutter. That same night the stutter was horrible, now with insane rubber banding.
Turns out a reboot = almost no stutter at all. Also found out leaving my 146 tab Chrome open will eventually cause stutters. lol.
T1 World Boss is easy if the group knows mechanics. Fastest I've had is 8 minutes.
Much easier on the rouge due to movement. I have dodge, dash, and shadow step to avoid damage and close in for DPS.
Killed the boss twice without dying.
As a soloer Kor Dragan is very difficult. I tried farming the chest at the bottom left house, but my patience ran out.
Edit: Didn't know about the looting corpse option until a few minutes before beta ends.

Last edited:
Anyone out there farming Kor Dragan I can join? I exploded the stronghold so no longer farmable for me =/.

Those vampires had very punchable faces.

call me somebody that doesnt know what theyre doing because I managed to get a warrior to 20 and kill Ashava but I died around 10-15 times

Hmm - no life on hit stat anymore?

1684091543651.png

Last edited:
I don't understand why they couldn't just let it run for the day. End it at midnight, or even 6pm. I just don't get why developers don't give people an entire weekend to play so the people with prior commitments or weekend jobs can still get a chance to play a bit.

Anyway, I enjoyed this one a bit more than the others. I ran it with a barbarian and it was pretty fun. Also messed around with a wizard but didn't want to do too much with her as I planned that to be my starting class when the game launches.

I rolled a Rogue last time and enjoyed it but I think I like the barbarian a little bit more.

Heh, brave man. Though maybe the early access stuff will prevent error 37 problems this time.

I'd make the assumption that the server slam would have more players than the actual launch given that it's free and I barely had any issues. I was only kicked like 3 times the whole weekend and never had to wait to get in.

Didn't have any connection issues with the server slam. The only problem I had was that earlier today, my CPU overheated while playing. I heard the fans spin up to max, and the first time when I quit the game, everything went back to normal. The second time, my PC shut off.

This is the first time it's ever happened, so I've been monitoring my PC thoroughly today.

I'd make the assumption that the server slam would have more players than the actual launch given that it's free and I barely had any issues. I was only kicked like 3 times the whole weekend and never had to wait to get in.
Zelda released on the 12th so probably far less D4 players if I had to guess.
I had no disconnects / crashes.

Agreed, the only issue I had the whole slam was that I never found a good crowd to do the world boss- I swear half of them just stood in place and got whacked over and over.

in closed beta I was able to beat Ashava on first try when people were level 25.

This time around I first tried at midnight PST with probably 10ish people and couldn’t get her below 50%

Tried again at the last spawn at 9AM…same story

No mount skin 🙃

in closed beta I was able to beat Ashava on first try when people were level 25.

This time around I first tried at midnight PST with probably 10ish people and couldn’t get her below 50%

No mount skin 🙃
I got downvoted on reddit for this, but having that trophy time gated as it was is bad game design.

It's one thing if the challenge came out on the first beta, and was for all of them. But the challenges that were out were the getting a character to 20 and reaching town for the first time. That should have been the one that was only for one weekend only.

The problem here is that there were only 9 attempts total to get the skin. And as with you, many people would probably only be limited to three or four attempts at most.

But what makes it bad game design is that killing Ashava is not 100% dependent on you. You could have all the skill and motivation in the world, but if you get 5 players who have no clue what they're doing, that punishes the entire group of players in that instance. Sure, a couple streamers beat her on WT2 in Hardcore solo, but if you're playing Softcore, which is the majority of the player base, you don't really get to pick and choose who you play with beyond your initial group. You just have to pray that you have enough players who know what they're doing. Two to three players can carry one deadweight, but if you have four or five players who are useless, that's going to be too much for almost any group to overcome.

I got downvoted on reddit for this, but having that trophy time gated as it was is bad game design.

It's one thing if the challenge came out on the first beta, and was for all of them. But the challenges that were out were the getting a character to 20 and reaching town for the first time. That should have been the one that was only for one weekend only.

The problem here is that there were only 9 attempts total to get the skin. And as with you, many people would probably only be limited to three or four attempts at most.

But what makes it bad game design is that killing Ashava is not 100% dependent on you. You could have all the skill and motivation in the world, but if you get 5 players who have no clue what they're doing, that punishes the entire group of players in that instance. Sure, a couple streamers beat her on WT2 in Hardcore solo, but if you're playing Softcore, which is the majority of the player base, you don't really get to pick and choose who you play with beyond your initial group. You just have to pray that you have enough players who know what they're doing. Two to three players can carry one deadweight, but if you have four or five players who are useless, that's going to be too much for almost any group to overcome.
Didn’t help that there were some level 16 and 12 people jacking up the HP and offering no real benefit.

Didn’t help that there were some level 16 and 12 people jacking up the HP and offering no real benefit.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand why they came. Most players are not hardcore players, thus they just hear "Kill Ashava" for the trophy, and they don't realize the level requirement. Yeah, I'm sure there were some griefers, but probably not many of them. And if I saw a group of 4 Level 12s come into the zone, I'd just quit immediately to find a new instance of the game.

That's an inherent flaw with multiplayer games. Your version of fun is not necessarily the same as theirs. Because it didn't have a level requirement to enter the zone, you just can't kick them out.

But that's also a difference with games like Diablo 2 or 3. You can choose who you want to join your game. With Diablo 4, you can choose who you have in your party, but you can't choose who you have in your world.

Sure, this will probably be a non issue come the live game, where 2 months in, players will be able to kill the world bosses blindfolded. But we're not talking live.

No mount skin 🙃
I had the same experience until the last spawn yesterday. The worst was the one I had before that one. Didn't even get her down to the first break point because people would not stop dying, and this was on WT1. They didn't realize that you need to stay by her rear legs and kept getting one-shot by her 360 claw attack. The last spawn we killed her in 6 minutes because everybody knew what they were doing.

I feel bad for the players that made attempts in earnest and failed. I killed her 5 of 7 attempts and carried most of the kills. I got a quirky legendary early with an execute effect on it once a mob hit 35 % health. With my crit + the execute effect I was critting 3 or 4 times every 5 swings. Insane damage compared to all of my previous D4 betas. With vulnerable on Ashava hitting for 6000 + back to back @ 35 percent or below was normal and I actually watched her health bar drop like a rock on my Hammer + Deathblow combos.

I'm OK with this and bosses designed like this. I hope they do more. Overcoming stuff like these encounters is what formed my play groups and ultimately guilds/clans in other mmos.

We'll find our "people" that help us make the most of our play time. My achievement this beta round wasn't even Ashava... I managed to beat the shit out of The Butcher solo on T2... Took a while, ran like a little bitch for some of it, but was determined to win lol. He dropped 3 of my legendaries, lol. I tried fighting him in the first beta and got instagibbed... Tried the second and got dead again. Finally got vengeance.

That, and I solo-cleared the level 30 fortress... which in hindsight was dumb, but whatever.

I had the same experience until the last spawn yesterday. The worst was the one I had before that one. Didn't even get her down to the first break point because people would not stop dying, and this was on WT1. They didn't realize that you need to stay by her rear legs and kept getting one-shot by her 360 claw attack. The last spawn we killed her in 6 minutes because everybody knew what they were doing.
You're lucky you even got to try. Thought they were spawning the damn world boss often enough for everyone to get a try...

I had one crack at the game Friday/Saturday 10-2a. Didn't think I was even gonna play, but the game ran incredibly well on my laptop 5700u, couldn't believe it was pulling 30+ FPS on low most of the time right around 1080P with no down scaling. Looked good on my 17.3" screen. It was an "unsupported" graphics card on the Blizzard side of things but after updating to the latest Catalyst it ran fine. No graphical issues. Hit Level 20 and at least I get the cosmetic stuff.

I know there will be bugs in this game but this is the kind of polish I think most of us want to see from a AAA title coming out. Where the game looks beautiful on higher end hardware but still is playable and looks and runs pretty damn good on minimal GPU/APU hardware.

When's this coming out? June 1? I bought an played a lot of the Anno 1404 series this weekend. Was...ok, but last night I found myself mapping in Path of Exile. Just my preferred genre I guess. I'd hit this game up I suppose.

You're lucky you even got to try. Thought they were spawning the damn world boss often enough for everyone to get a try...

I had one crack at the game Friday/Saturday 10-2a. Didn't think I was even gonna play, but the game ran incredibly well on my laptop 5700u, couldn't believe it was pulling 30+ FPS on low most of the time right around 1080P with no down scaling. Looked good on my 17.3" screen. It was an "unsupported" graphics card on the Blizzard side of things but after updating to the latest Catalyst it ran fine. No graphical issues. Hit Level 20 and at least I get the cosmetic stuff.

I know there will be bugs in this game but this is the kind of polish I think most of us want to see from a AAA title coming out. Where the game looks beautiful on higher end hardware but still is playable and looks and runs pretty damn good on minimal GPU/APU hardware.
It's a blizzard game, they pretty much always run well on lower-end HW so nothing surprising there. Just wish we could zoom out a bit more.

It's a blizzard game, they pretty much always run well on lower-end HW so nothing surprising there. Just wish we could zoom out a bit more.

I'm sure I'll grow used to the more zoomed-in view (and will probably even prefer it), but I kept trying to zoom out more initially. I wish there was more control of the zoom.

I'm sure I'll grow used to the more zoomed-in view (and will probably even prefer it), but I kept trying to zoom out more initially. I wish there was more control of the zoom.
I can see keeping it this limited for consoles but on PC we should have just a bit more leeway on it. We can fine tune our performance pretty easily.

I was thinking about this. I don't think its the zoom, I think its the scale of everything else that makes it feel that way. I was looking at some original Diablo 1 and 2 gameplay. Back them your character, environment & monster models were a lot smaller, could be the angle too.

I was thinking about this. I don't think its the zoom, I think its the scale of everything else that makes it feel that way. I was looking at some original Diablo 1 and 2 gameplay. Back them your character, environment & monster models were a lot smaller, could be the angle too.

Definitely might be. The knock on it was when monsters start rolling in from a distance, you don't really see them coming in advance like you used to. I found it odd with KB/M, but when I swapped over to a gamepad it felt way more natural. No cursor after all. Of course the menu UI is gimped for pads, though.

Yeah, my Butcher kill is my crowning achievement so far in D4. I was so excited I didn't think to grab a screenshot. I was just jumping up and down like yeah mutherf*! That's what you get for murderhoboing me before!!!

The Butcher fight made the Ashava fight feel like a vacation. Once you master it, you can do Ashava comfortably taking very little damage.

Yeah, my Butcher kill is my crowning achievement so far in D4. I was so excited I didn't think to grab a screenshot. I was just jumping up and down like yeah mutherf*! That's what you get for murderhoboing me before!!!

The Butcher fight made the Ashava fight feel like a vacation. Once you master it, you can do Ashava comfortably taking very little damage.
I only met the Butcher with my Hydra wizard, and never had a problem with him, except one time when he mysteriously despawned after 15 seconds. (And it's not like I even left the room, as apparently he only goes so far before he despawns.) Ashava, I had a little more difficulty trying to play a close quarters build with the wizard.

Though, I was super surprised with the rogue. Whereas I had to use Fire Shield or die if I ended up getting poisoned with Ashava, I never took any significant damage at all with my rogue.

I still think, come June, I'm starting with a wizard. At least during all the betas, they felt the most balanced, that you couldn't screw up a build, at least until 20 or 25. The other classes it felt like you had to follow 1 or 2 builds or end up struggling your way through leveling up.

But I'm struggling on figuring out how I'm going to start Day One.

Wizard leveling last weekend:

Finding all Lilith Altars: I reached Level 17 with just one dungeon for the Level 15 enchantment power in roughly 2.5 hours, but zero legendaries.
Campain: I reached Level 13 in roughly 2.5 hours, but got the 2 guaranteed legendaries.
Spamming events: I reached Level 20 in roughly 1.75 hours, but zero legendaries.

Now, probably getting the mount will help with the altars, but definitely won't get as much XP. But you have to do the campaign for that. So, I think that will ultimately be the approach to go. Run the campaign up until the point you get the mount. The question becomes though, if you just join someone who's at that point, while you just level outside of that, will you also unlock the mount reward as well? In that situation, it might just be good to sacrifice one group member to run it for everyone in the group.

I only met the Butcher with my Hydra wizard, and never had a problem with him, except one time when he mysteriously despawned after 15 seconds. (And it's not like I even left the room, as apparently he only goes so far before he despawns.) Ashava, I had a little more difficulty trying to play a close quarters build with the wizard.

Though, I was super surprised with the rogue. Whereas I had to use Fire Shield or die if I ended up getting poisoned with Ashava, I never took any significant damage at all with my rogue.

I still think, come June, I'm starting with a wizard. At least during all the betas, they felt the most balanced, that you couldn't screw up a build, at least until 20 or 25. The other classes it felt like you had to follow 1 or 2 builds or end up struggling your way through leveling up.

But I'm struggling on figuring out how I'm going to start Day One.

Wizard leveling last weekend:

Finding all Lilith Altars: I reached Level 17 with just one dungeon for the Level 15 enchantment power in roughly 2.5 hours, but zero legendaries.
Campain: I reached Level 13 in roughly 2.5 hours, but got the 2 guaranteed legendaries.
Spamming events: I reached Level 20 in roughly 1.75 hours, but zero legendaries.

Now, probably getting the mount will help with the altars, but definitely won't get as much XP. But you have to do the campaign for that. So, I think that will ultimately be the approach to go. Run the campaign up until the point you get the mount. The question becomes though, if you just join someone who's at that point, while you just level outside of that, will you also unlock the mount reward as well? In that situation, it might just be good to sacrifice one group member to run it for everyone in the group.
Well, to be fair... Sorceress outclasses the Barbarian in almost every aspect right now. Sorceress can kite him while the hydras eat him up. My Barb could take MAYBE 2.5 solid hits before having to back off. On Ashava... I think melee is easier on positioning. Having 2x dodge helps a bit, too.

I rolled a Sorceress in between Ashava runs and the experience between the two was worlds apart. Drop Hydras, pewpewpew, fireball SPLOSIONS! Previous betas I also played Necro and Druid. So leveled 4/5 to 20.

The sorceress is the Torgue of D4.
View attachment torgue_explosion_sounds_14224_0.webp

I disagree, I was busy more than normally this weekend but managed to get my char to lvl 20. I did not get one single attempt at the world boss because somethhing came up. It should've been spawned on a hourly basis.
Not to mention they didn't spawn the boss once on Friday. I wouldn't mind if I failed killing a hard boss, but not even getting the chance is stupid.

I disagree, I was busy more than normally this weekend but managed to get my char to lvl 20. I did not get one single attempt at the world boss because somethhing came up. It should've been spawned on a hourly basis.
Not to mention they didn't spawn the boss once on Friday. I wouldn't mind if I failed killing a hard boss, but not even getting the chance is stupid.
I don't understand the disagreement. Because I literally was just complaining about not getting to fight the world boss...

I agree with you, they should have been spawning it every hour.

Back