Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

I put at least 12 hours into this beta. I ended up with a fully geared sorc (ice shards 7/5 build) I tested chain lightning, fireball, meteor, hydra etc but felt ice shards was the best all around for my gear. I was sitting around 180int, typically a single volley of ice shards was hitting lvl 25-27 mobs for 1600. My friend was having a very rough time with his barb -- it seems all the legendries had fooled them into thinking their gear was good when in reality they were stacking gear with 15% resist elements instead of +15 str and +8 all stat gear. At lvl 25 my friends barb in full legend gear was hitting for 80-100 with whirlwind per tick (he had 55 str) You know its a problem when my sorc had 74Str and i was avoiding str gear, lol. After he fixed his gear, he respec upheaval and was much happier. He saw crits over 4k

Anyway, here it is Monday and im going through Diablo 4 withdrawal. I played diablo 3 today and it just feels empty and flat -- Sure Diablo 3 is fast, but just doing rifts feels so boring now.
I got on D2 today and felt the same... I want more D4.

I have no idea how people forget this. Once the paragon boards open up the game really begins just like getting to 70 ASAP is the only thing that matters in D3 leveling.

But the best thing I've seen from the beta is how much variety there is in builds just at level 25. People did a great job trying all sorts of different things out and a ton of builds look amazing, which I find to be encouraging. I don't doubt there will be less variety at 100 but I do fully expect considerably more variety than D3.

And just wait til you all get ahold of the paragon boards and start upgrading various nodes. There's soooooo much more power there

Meh .. it's very D2 as far as the pace/story goes I think. Surez it's not going to take months to hit paragon cap like it would to hit lvl90+ in D2 playing solo. Hell, my pops played religiously for YEARS and I don't think he ever broke 90 on his offline Summoning Necro. Seriously, I bet he had 6 years+ on that thing on that Voodoo 4 4500 and that weird Pentium IV that was smashed on the top of the Pentium III substrate, 128MB RAM, and a Dual 128k ISDN line(thanks, US Navy, Crane Indiana!).
Still so weird that Blizzard told him to buy that GPU for hardware T&L when it didn't support it. Wasn't a slideshow when turning on map overlay after the upgrade, so it did something. That poor Sony Vaio tower. I liked the color of them, however. That odd light matte pastel blue. Would make an interesting racing stripe color on an orange late Mopar.
Can't wait till next weekend. I have 3 side quests left that I have no idea where to pick up and most of the dungeons, and then I've completed the beta for a single character. Once I finish those out, I think I'm going to give the Necromancer a try. I think everyone else will be doing the same. Servers gonna die. Lol.
It is nice that we do get a shot at finishing.

I got on D2 today and felt the same... I want more D4.
I've been playing d2 since it came out, ready for new content 20 some years later. I'm actually playing through the campaign of Wolcen right now its way better than I expected. Graphics are outstanding, story is cheesy but fine. Really unique skill system, reminds me of runes in d3 except each skill has like 20 or so, and they have point values you can allocate to gain multiple skill rune passives. There's regular stats that are straight forward, and a very light version of the PoE passive tree. Oh, and the gameplay is buttery smooth and fun, honestly think they have the best version of whirlwind in any game. I see it's reviews are negative though, had a troubled development and there are some minor bugs on PC, but nothing serious. I haven't tried online I heard that's bugged. But for a couple play through doing a few different builds, I think it's excellent.

You guys know it's a level cap of 100 not 50 or 70 right? I too hope that there's some bonus damage or scaling once you get into paragon levels or something because I do agree that the current world scaling system feels counterintuitive. It's different than D3 in that while the monsters leveled with you, you would gain greater power through gear or certain legendary weapons. Right now the legendary weapons don't feel real legendary.

I'll hold out hope for the release that the devs know what they're doing .

I grew up with Diablo, Fallout and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 :)
Those were the days. But I'm not very old, about to turn 39 so my earliest gaming days don't go back earlier than Sega Mega Drive.

Anyway I don't put a lot of thought into how strong some characters in D4 are. What we're seeing is people hitting lvl 25 then treating it as end game (although it's basically correct as it's end game for beta). They farmed gear and upgraded everything and then went on to nuke a boss. Of course it's not going to go well for the boss that is tuned for lvl 25 with half-shitty gear ;-)

Just watched skill trees for all three classes the Ultimate skills seem to be worth it not sure if skills will be added past level 25.

A summary is available here, this bit caught my eye:

"Level scaling and party system is terrible, makes you feel weaker, and is not something that may ever be fixed in the game. Gives an example of automatically grouping up with a lower level character that 3 shots a bear, while a level 40 character may struggle with the bear. The level 3 character is going to be stronger in some instanced zones than the level 40 character. It’s too core to the actual game to change as all the monsters scale to your level. The main consequence is that when you level up you are always weaker, because one point on the skill tree at most is 10% damage, and the monsters are most likely gain more than 10% health. So your character isn’t getting stronger, you’re just trying to gear up to keep up with the level scaling. There are no lower level zones. “I hate this, and it doesn’t feel good as you try to progress your character."
So what's the point in leveling up is all you do is get weaker? Wouldn't it make you try your utmost best to complete game with the lowest level possible?

You guys know it's a level cap of 100 not 50 or 70 right? I too hope that there's some bonus damage or scaling once you get into paragon levels or something because I do agree that the current world scaling system feels counterintuitive. It's different than D3 in that while the monsters leveled with you, you would gain greater power through gear or certain legendary weapons. Right now the legendary weapons don't feel real legendary.

It's 50, plus Paragon

So what's the point in leveling up is all you do is get weaker? Wouldn't it make you try your utmost best to complete game with the lowest level possible?
You get access to more skills, which offsets some of the feeling weaker. Also, remember that Unique items are only Level 50+.

Sure, there are exploity features. Such as you can apply a low level affix to a higher level weapon to dump down the level. (This will almost certainly be fixed, but it why you're seeing the Level 35 mob constantly camped atm). And with the level scaling, it makes you ridiculously powerful. You'll be one shotting everything. But remember, you're not always going to be Level <10. When you one shot everything, it's super easy to gain XP. But I guess it could be applied to world bosses. Party up with a bunch of level 1s with twinked gear, take down the world boss to 10% health in 30 seconds, and have them switch to their real characters to finish off the boss.

The level scaling wouldn't bother me too much, if it was ranged. That is, maybe give a +/-10. But we've already seen level scaling in Diablo 3 on the console, and it is super exploitable. It's one of the tricks that I've suggested to level up parties. You do have twinked characters, and can have the lower level carry the higher level characters to even greater levels. Create a new character, rinse and repeat. But as it stands right now, monsters give very little experience. You're getting most of the experience through quests. If you want to level up as fast as humanly possible at the moment, there's a repeatable quest on the north of the map that, with a party, takes about 1 minute to clear, and 30 seconds to reset. Plus, you get 35 murmuring obols, or whatever those things were called for the Curiosity vendor. At level 20, it took about 75 minutes to reach level 25.

I put at least 12 hours into this beta. I ended up with a fully geared sorc (ice shards 7/5 build) I tested chain lightning, fireball, meteor, hydra etc but felt ice shards was the best all around for my gear. I was sitting around 180int, typically a single volley of ice shards was hitting lvl 25-27 mobs for 1600. My friend was having a very rough time with his barb -- it seems all the legendries had fooled them into thinking their gear was good when in reality they were stacking gear with 15% resist elements instead of +15 str and +8 all stat gear. At lvl 25 my friends barb in full legend gear was hitting for 80-100 with whirlwind per tick (he had 55 str) You know its a problem when my sorc had 74Str and i was avoiding str gear, lol. After he fixed his gear, he respec upheaval and was much happier. He saw crits over 4k

Anyway, here it is Monday and im going through Diablo 4 withdrawal. I played diablo 3 today and it just feels empty and flat -- Sure Diablo 3 is fast, but just doing rifts feels so boring now.
I noticed this and had a feeling that people were going to gear based on ilevel alone rather than the actual gear passives. I was also stacking +8 all stats and was wrecking enemies with my Sorceress while wearing pieces with an ilevel as low as 250. Destiny has trained people to only stack item level to get more power when that is far from the truth in D4.

It's 50 standard levels + 50 paragon levels.

I noticed this and had a feeling that people were going to gear based on ilevel alone rather than the actual gear passives. I was also stacking +8 all stats and was wrecking enemies with my Sorceress while wearing pieces with an ilevel as low as 250. Destiny has trained people to only stack item level to get more power when that is far from the truth in D4.

It's 50 standard levels + 50 paragon levels.
I found out pretty quickly to not pay attention to the item level. Unlike Diablo 3, which highlights offense, defense, and regen in green, here it's only the one stat, which gives a false representation. So, I open up the character window & stats window and equip the item to see what my offense and defense are.

That's my major complaint so far with the beta. The UI is really awful. Like, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being a great UI, I'd give it a 2.

I found out pretty quickly to not pay attention to the item level. Unlike Diablo 3, which highlights offense, defense, and regen in green, here it's only the one stat, which gives a false representation. So, I open up the character window & stats window and equip the item to see what my offense and defense are.

That's my major complaint so far with the beta. The UI is really awful. Like, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being a great UI, I'd give it a 2.

I'm good with the UI. Doesn't need to be fancy and bright and a resource hog.

Diablo 2 & 3 are so much more intuitive here. The following is just a slight list of stuff about it, and I could be wrong about it, so feel free to correct me.

These are just off the top of my head:

1. The extended stats are off by default. Like, in Diablo 3, it tells you a range of stats. So, you'll have an item that says it gives +12% of an item. But, is that good or bad? If you go into settings, you can turn on extended stats, so now it will say it gives 12% [10-15], meaning, it ranges from 10-15%.
2. No ability to join people at the start screen. With Diablo 2 & 3, you can do this at the lobby, or the title screen. Here, you have to go into the game, hit social, go to your friends/recent players list, then join them. Way too many steps.
3. Map overlay. Yes, it's somewhat translucent, but both 2 & 3, it's very translucent with the outlines, so I can have it up and running while playing. In HC, it's somewhat scary bringing up the map, because I lose sight of what I'm looking at.
4. Too much tied to the action wheel. You want an emote wheel, fine, have it be for emotes only. But stuff like exiting dungeons, trading, or viewing other people's characters are tied to it also. Right clicking on them, and having a menu, like in Diablo 3, is so much easier.
5. When you bring up the map, it gives you a list of what quests, map sections, altars, etc. there are. And that's one of the problems I had, as I was trying to complete all the available quests. You can't actually click on that section. So, I had 33/35 quests done, but which 2 quests were I missing? In my collections, it said I only had 5 quests complete. Some were expandable, but it came out to only listing roughly 12 quests. So, I had 21 more complete, but no clue what they were.
6. As mentioned in the previous posts, just because you see green on new gear doesn't mean it's better. You have to try it out. And even then, it doesn't really tell you much. I have so much attack, so much armor, and so much life. But resists are in the stats page. So, should I be focusing on armor or resists? Well now, you have to highlight over it, which tells you how much damage reduction each does. Diablo 3 handles this a bit easier with a base defense rating that takes all of this into consideration.

Diablo 2 & 3 are so much more intuitive here. The following is just a slight list of stuff about it, and I could be wrong about it, so feel free to correct me.

These are just off the top of my head:

1. The extended stats are off by default. Like, in Diablo 3, it tells you a range of stats. So, you'll have an item that says it gives +12% of an item. But, is that good or bad? If you go into settings, you can turn on extended stats, so now it will say it gives 12% [10-15], meaning, it ranges from 10-15%.
2. No ability to join people at the start screen. With Diablo 2 & 3, you can do this at the lobby, or the title screen. Here, you have to go into the game, hit social, go to your friends/recent players list, then join them. Way too many steps.
3. Map overlay. Yes, it's somewhat translucent, but both 2 & 3, it's very translucent with the outlines, so I can have it up and running while playing. In HC, it's somewhat scary bringing up the map, because I lose sight of what I'm looking at.
4. Too much tied to the action wheel. You want an emote wheel, fine, have it be for emotes only. But stuff like exiting dungeons, trading, or viewing other people's characters are tied to it also. Right clicking on them, and having a menu, like in Diablo 3, is so much easier.
5. When you bring up the map, it gives you a list of what quests, map sections, altars, etc. there are. And that's one of the problems I had, as I was trying to complete all the available quests. You can't actually click on that section. So, I had 33/35 quests done, but which 2 quests were I missing? In my collections, it said I only had 5 quests complete. Some were expandable, but it came out to only listing roughly 12 quests. So, I had 21 more complete, but no clue what they were.
6. As mentioned in the previous posts, just because you see green on new gear doesn't mean it's better. You have to try it out. And even then, it doesn't really tell you much. I have so much attack, so much armor, and so much life. But resists are in the stats page. So, should I be focusing on armor or resists? Well now, you have to highlight over it, which tells you how much damage reduction each does. Diablo 3 handles this a bit easier with a base defense rating that takes all of this into consideration.
  1. This isn't the default in D3, either. You need to turn on advanced tooltips, just like D3. You can also still hold shift to get the stat range like in D3, too.
  2. Because the game is "MMO-lite." I have no opinion on it either way.
  3. I didn't have an issue using the map, but an option to have a large translucent overlay like Diablo 2 would be nice to have.
  4. You can exit a dungeon by opening the map and clicking on the entrance. There is really no difference between the actions needed to interact with other players. You still need to open another menu to do it. I felt the emote wheel was intuitive to use when I could just hover my mouse cursor over another player and press E. I do enjoy how you can use emotes at altars to receive gifts and buffs rather than them just being an amusing extra to annoy other players with.
  5. You need to find them. I would hate it to just list all the quests in a region without the player needing to do anything to find them. In that way I also like how other than needing to talk to a specific NPC that once you do have a quest, the map usually just marks a large general area for the objective instead of pointing out specifically where to go (the "Oblivion" Effect). That said, the Challenges menu may not be complete yet, or they are only tracking key quest lines for them.
  6. Diablo 3 is the same way, though. Your resist number in particular means absolutely nothing unless you take your level and difficulty into account, in which case you still need to open the extended stats window and hover over your resist to find out how effective it actually is. Again, I like how they are taking more of a light touch in this approach. The decrease in hand holding is welcome in this day and age.

Did we just become best friends?
Everytime I see your name I think Dune (OG or 2000). :ROFLMAO:

But on topic, gearing up got me also for a while, then I started realizing that the added skills / stats are more important. Then I was able to solo clear the bosses that I was getting stopped by (never saw the world boss).

We got to 25 running a whirlybarb and a Pyro sorceress. Was alot of fun. Only thing we missed was the world boss due to atrocious timing and a handful of dumbgeons...

Strongholds were the most fun for us. The dumbgeon experience is dumb. Nice variety initially, then they start to suck.

Yep me too, Diablo and C&C is what got me into PC gaming.
For me D1 was 1 amongst many. It certainly affected me.
It was that, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke 3D, Doom I/II, Fallout and StarCraft that all had a big impact on my PC gaming trajectory in the mid to late 90s. Technically I played other stuff prior to all that (SpaceWars? Anyone know that one?), but didn't change me like that pile of games did.

Console side of course was totally different. SNES was the big one. Though technically I played NES as well throughout the late 80s and small amount in the early 90s. And then the N64 was another big one.

For me D1 was 1 amongst many. It certainly affected me.
It was that, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke 3D, Doom I/II, Fallout and StarCraft that all had a big impact on my PC gaming trajectory in the mid to late 90s. Technically I played other stuff prior to all that (SpaceWars? Anyone know that one?), but didn't change me like that pile of games did.

Console side of course was totally different. SNES was the big one. Though technically I played NES as well throughout the late 80s and small amount in the early 90s. And then the N64 was another big one.
We never had a computer when I was growing up, I had an Atari 2600. We had neighbors that had computers, their parents would let us play on them from time to time. I remember playing Star Wars and Carmen Sandiego. Diablo blew my mind when it came out, Especially being able to play, chat and interact with other people over the internet, So I saved up my money and built my first computer primarily around playing Diablo and C&C.

Funny now that I don't want mulitplayer in a Diablo game or it to be always connected to the internet. The idea has definitely warn off its luster.

We never had a computer when I was growing up, I had an Atari 2600. We had neighbors that had computers, their parents would let us play on them from time to time. I remember playing Star Wars and Carmen Sandiego. Diablo blew my mind when it came out, Especially being able to play, chat and interact with other people over the internet, So I saved up my money and built my first computer primarily around playing Diablo and C&C.
I did play a fair bit of C&C, that was one of my friends favorite games.
Funny now that I don't want mulitplayer in a Diablo game or it to be always connected to the internet. The idea has definitely warn off its luster.
As a semi-competitive D3 player (honestly not competitive at all compared to streamers etc), I think generally the moves on D4 are for the best in terms of being able to play a game with more fun end-game play loops. However, we don't really truly know what those are. I played the D3 beta which only showed up to SK and had a cap of 15 and it was not at all representative of the slog fest that awaited at launch. I won't dive too far into it though, as the D3 mess ups are pretty legendary for anyone paying attention at the time.

The big issue I'm sure for people like you are mostly related to just wanting to play the game without having to be connected to the internet or have to wait in a server queue etc. But they've more or less designed these games to be "casual friendly" for those that will play the game for 50-100 hours then leave and also for the hardcore people that will eventually play the game for 10,000 hours. And for better or worse, the only way they feel they can do that with a unified experience is fully online play.

The problem they had to solve between D1 and D2, was duping. Giving access to characters/items saved locally gave too many vectors for attack. Not that always online prevents all cheating, but it certainly makes it harder. That and obviously the game has world events and wants to create fomo too. FWIW, I also mostly play single player stuff at this point in my life. But D3 is one of the few games I enjoy for a few weeks or a month out of every season for the mild competitive aspect of it and just to challenge what I can do. And for most other folks that will continue in that seasons vein, I imagine this is the best balance that they could come up with (while also, lets be honest, maintaining their corporate goals and do data collection amongst other things).

Last edited:
Rhykker's Thoughts.

If you're not a big Diablo 3 fan, he has basically been making D3 content the most consistently of anyone I know. I also watched a part of his stream showing the awful server issues (typical).

He does a breakdown in here of the classes. The way the map works. Level scaling. Team play. Legendaries (drop rates and other), itemization. Pretty much all of it.

He seems mostly positive and upbeat.

Last edited:
Rhkker's Thoughts.

If you're not a big Diablo 3 fan, he has basically been making D3 content the most consistently of anyone I know. I also watched a part of his stream showing the awful server issues (typical).

He does a breakdown in here of the classes. The way the map works. Level scaling. Team play. Legendaries (drop rates and other), itemization. Pretty much all of it.

He seems mostly positive and upbeat.

I've been following Rhykker since pretty much his start. He's the only streamer I watch other than Kibbitz
Haven't watched this one yet.

No but it sure as shit needs to be tightened up. Also, the total lack of information with rerolls is terrible. The costs are already bad enough without having things be a total shot in the dark when rerolling.

No but it sure as shit needs to be tightened up. Also, the total lack of information with rerolls is terrible. The costs are already bad enough without having things be a total shot in the dark when rerolling.
Yes I didn't see where it would show the possible outcomes with rerolls.

We got to 25 running a whirlybarb and a Pyro sorceress. Was alot of fun. Only thing we missed was the world boss due to atrocious timing and a handful of dumbgeons...

Strongholds were the most fun for us. The dumbgeon experience is dumb. Nice variety initially, then they start to suck.
Just a heads-up for anybody playing this weekend: You only get one shot at the world boss per character. I was very disappointed when I found this out. My first run at the world boss was the second to last spawn on Saturday night, and my group got it down past 90% before we ran out of time. The last spawn was just 4 hours later, and I didn't have enough time to level a new character to take another swing at it.

There was a console version of the original Diablo on PlayStation. It came out a year after PC.

Just a heads-up for anybody playing this weekend: You only get one shot at the world boss per character. I was very disappointed when I found this out. My first run at the world boss was the second to last spawn on Saturday night, and my group got it down past 90% before we ran out of time. The last spawn was just 4 hours later, and I didn't have enough time to level a new character to take another swing at it.
That isn't true. At least it wasn't for me. I fought it three times on Saturday. It killed my first two groups. Third we killed it.

That isn't true. At least it wasn't for me. I fought it three times on Saturday. It killed my first two groups. Third we killed it.
I ran to the spawn location 5 minutes ahead of time and it didn't put me in an instance. The first time I got a global notification about the spawn, but I didn't get it the second time. The map showed the marker and simply said "Weekly Reward Claimed." I tried porting back to Kyovashad and running back into the arena, and still nothing. Do you have to leave your game and come back in to get into an instance? That would be stupid if that was required with the kind of game this is. Nothing else in the game requires you to quit and start again to create a new instance like the older games. You can just leave a dungeon and come back to it to run through it again, and events and enemies respawn when you run a few hundred yards away.

Yes I didn't see where it would show the possible outcomes with rerolls.
It's always one of my biggest concerns going from a very matured, heavily changed and patched game to something new. QoL improvements mostly happen over time so I hope this gets addressed sooner rather than later.

I ran to the spawn location 5 minutes ahead of time and it didn't put me in an instance. The first time I got a global notification about the spawn, but I didn't get it the second time. The map showed the marker and simply said "Weekly Reward Claimed." I tried porting back to Kyovashad and running back into the arena, and still nothing. Do you have to leave your game and come back in to get into an instance? That would be stupid if that was required with the kind of game this is. Nothing else in the game requires you to quit and start again to create a new instance like the older games. You can just leave a dungeon and come back to it to run through it again, and events and enemies respawn when you run a few hundred yards away.
No idea. I didn't do anything special. I just went to the locations about five minutes before spawn time and waited with whoever else was there.

Back