Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

Think the muted colors are for immersion so when a world boss Spawns it looks special if everything was florescent it wouldn't be very fun and would wreck immersion.

Looks closer to D2's art style, which is what I recall a lot of people wanted from D3 versus the WoW art style we got. As one of those people, I like what we've seen so far a lot.
You are correct, a lot of people complained that D3 was too colourful. It’s no surprise they are going for a muted and darker style this time around.

I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.
Same here. The last video in the update has me sold on the atmosphere and tone both visually and aurally. We'll obviously be able to increase the gamma but it also seems like the game is going to show just how poorly modern monitors do with deep shadows.

Same here. The last video in the update has me sold on the atmosphere and tone both visually and aurally. We'll obviously be able to increase the gamma but it also seems like the game is going to show just how poorly modern monitors do with deep shadows.
Just about all of the "good" gaming monitors have IPS panels. They don't compare at all to the picture quality of a high quality television.

Just about all of the "good" gaming monitors have IPS panels. They don't compare at all to the picture quality of a high quality television.
I have to agree here. That said i'm in the market for both.

If they can just string together a somewhat coherent storyline that doesn't pointlessly kill off main characters, this might actually be immersive and fun again.

Over a decade of playing this franchise, and you go through a door in D3 to see Cain dead. Yeah, that wasn't anticlimactic and dumb or anything.

If they can just string together a somewhat coherent storyline that doesn't pointlessly kill off main characters, this might actually be immersive and fun again.

Over a decade of playing this franchise, and you go through a door in D3 to see Cain dead. Yeah, that wasn't anticlimactic and dumb or anything.
It still hurts. What a stupid decision that was. Just lazy storytelling.

I would have made Deckard Cain Belial, which would have made sense, since the lesser evils were always trying to usurp the Prime Evils in the storyline. What better way than to have Belial string along the character to do his bidding? Stupid Blizzard, I would have given them that idea for free!

Well, to be honest, it'll be four more years before it actually comes out, so, plenty of time to work on it.

Blizzard has always been bad about hyping a game waaaaaay before it even becomes available. Either way, I'll either be seeing this or POE2 when they are finally out.

Blizzard is looking for a project manager to manage the "in-game store" for the game. Talks about "seasons," identifying sales trends, and analyzing purchasing behaviors. "Battlepass" incoming, with other microtransactions.

https://careers.blizzard.com/global/en/job/R012336/Product-Manager-Diablo-IV
1654784475490.png

Almost a given that a battle pass is going to make it into this one.

(Not that it wasn't already obvious from the trend. That said, I was almost ready to cough up something like $5 per season back when D3 got "fixed" - and this is before battle passes got popular - so that's also interesting.)

Almost a given that a battle pass is going to make it into this one.

(Not that it wasn't already obvious from the trend. That said, I was almost ready to cough up something like $5 per season back when D3 got "fixed" - and this is before battle passes got popular - so that's also interesting.)
I still don't understand why people hated the RM AH so much, at least as players we got a cut of the money, now we get nothing but battle pass and microtransaction garbage.

Eh, didn't care about that. Was nice to get paid for stuff I couldn't use.
For the "average" person it's neat. The system could be gamed and therein lies the problem.

(I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, years ago, that the real problem was the taxes.)

For the "average" person it's neat. The system could be gamed and therein lies the problem.

(I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, years ago, that the real problem was the taxes.)
I wasn't average and thought it was great. I made $500 net and pretty much stopped playing shortly thereafter. The fees were wicked, they took something like 30%, but whatever if it's between that and $0 I'll take it. Screw the battlepass/microtransaction F2P model.

Surely they won’t have the scummy pay to win immortal has. On that note it’s a shame because I love the the game. It is so scummy though. I don’t mind battle passes but damn lol.

No clue whatever happened after I bailed, but I completed Diablo 3 on all of the standard difficulties except the last one ("Hell", or whatever they called it) using the shit that dropped on the ground and with items from that auction house that didn't use real money. That was 4 passes through the entire game and I stopped because I just got tired of it. As long as I can still do that, I don't really care what some people feel like paying for.

No clue whatever happened after I bailed, but I completed Diablo 3 on all of the standard difficulties except the last one ("Hell", or whatever they called it) using the shit that dropped on the ground and with items from that auction house that didn't use real money. That was 4 passes through the entire game and I stopped because I just got tired of it. As long as I can still do that, I don't really care what some people feel like paying for.
Diablo in general isn't for you. I don't say that as a criticism.
Honestly the storyline and storymode are a shell placed on the game. And the real game is all end game content based around the power fantasy of gearing out the most powerful character and being able to clear the most demanding end-game content.

And it's basically always been that way. In D2 it was about the cow level, Baal Runs, and Pindleskin. Which also gave way to other mechanics such as PKing.
D3 it's all about Greater Rifts (primarily). Other mechanics also integrate into that, like getting as many levels as possible. But ultimately it's about the leaderboard.

Again, no criticism on you, but you basically didn't even make it to the end game content. I will say though, that Diablo in general as a result of this game design, doesn't offer "enough" for people wanting to play a single-player story driven ARPG. Just beating the game on "normal" takes about 10 hours. MAYBE. And if that's all you want to do (complete a story mode), I'd argue it's not worth the $60 price of admission.

Also, D3 changed a lot after patch 1.0.3. And even more after the expansion. I'd say 1.0.2 and before the game was in beta. And the game really didn't get balanced properly until much later (1.0.6 or so? I can't remember). D3 was a cluster. And it's obvious Blizzard was testing the player base and grinding models to get people to pay money by making the game way more grindy than it ever needed to be. Hence why it has changed as much as it has in the years following.

It's unfortunate how many people gave up on D3 so long ago. Since the expansion and new game modes the original D3 game is easily less than 10% of the overall game now. And they added a lot of replay value with adventure mode.

Diablo in general isn't for you. I don't say that as a criticism.
Honestly the storyline and storymode are a shell placed on the game. And the real game is all end game content based around the power fantasy of gearing out the most powerful character and being able to clear the most demanding end-game content.

And it's basically always been that way. In D2 it was about the cow level, Baal Runs, and Pindleskin. Which also gave way to other mechanics such as PKing.
D3 it's all about Greater Rifts (primarily). Other mechanics also integrate into that, like getting as many levels as possible. But ultimately it's about the leaderboard.

Again, no criticism on you, but you basically didn't even make it to the end game content. I will say though, that Diablo in general as a result of this game design, doesn't offer "enough" for people wanting to play a single-player story driven ARPG. Just beating the game on "normal" takes about 10 hours. MAYBE. And if that's all you want to do (complete a story mode), I'd argue it's not worth the $60 price of admission.

Also, D3 changed a lot after patch 1.0.3. And even more after the expansion. I'd say 1.0.2 and before the game was in beta. And the game really didn't get balanced properly until much later (1.0.6 or so? I can't remember). D3 was a cluster. And it's obvious Blizzard was testing the player base and grinding models to get people to pay money by making the game way more grindy than it ever needed to be. Hence why it has changed as much as it has in the years following.

Where is all that other stuff? If they're hiding it somewhere beyond making you beat the game 4 consecutive times...that seems like a problem with the game's structure.

Where is all that other stuff? If they're hiding it somewhere beyond making you beat the game 4 consecutive times...
A lot of that content was added later, in truth. But even in vanilla, yeah, it was about being geared to kill all that high difficulty level content.

Now there are multiple game modes. Adventure Mode made the game non-linear, which is what it needs to be for this type of ARPG. And things like Greater Rifts, keys, etc are all functions of Adventure Mode.
For D2, it was all built directly into the story mode (there are no other modes), which did require getting into and through Inferno difficulty.
that seems like a problem with the game's structure.
You are correct. Which is again why I say D3 was a cluster that was designed to get people to pay money with the real money AH. It was designed to be overly grindy and intentionally unintuitive. A lot has changed since launch. It's practically a different game at this point (other than graphics and the very basics of mechanics).

Because the difficulty and drop rate was lopsided in order to inflate the value of items.
The auction house absolutely ruined the core gameplay experience of gaining loot for character progression. Uniques were so rare I only got ONE in my first playthrough at release. A pair of fucking Frostburn Gauntlets from Diablo 2 hahaha. Loot 2.0 should have been the standard from the beginning.

Diablo IV | Necromancer Cinematic Trailer

Command the dead with the final playable class in Diablo IV...

Looks good, but I'm sure the monitization will ruin a lot of it.
I’ll withhold judgment until we know how garbage it is or isn’t. But honestly no macOS version basically means this will be the first Diablo game I likely will never play (not counting Immortal. I might try that, but let’s be honest it’s just a slot machine that only takes money and sometimes gives a worthless digital asset).

Back