Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

Fact. I have to look at fat people all day, last thing I want to do is look at them in a video game.
I like my big boi, I just wish he didn't suck so much. I also kind of think the game is going to be garbage and I'm not going to buy it on release. They basically attached runes from D3 to items and called them "legendary aspects." It's honestly nonsense, the whole fun of building a character is making choices on how that character plays, not getting your skills from gear. Diablo 3 had this problem, and they added this to fix the issue with the game. It's honestly pathetic it took them 8 years and they basically came up with a very similar system to D3 but maybe arguably worse. It's going to be funny when a respec costs millions / billions of gold, someone gets a legendary for a different build, they can't use it and have to re-roll their character. The whole system is at odds with itself, I fully expect this game to be a shit show like 2 weeks to a month after launch. Much love and respect to the engineers and artists that made this thing work, it looks amazing and the gameplay feel is excellent. The story line seems solid, so love to the writers as well. But whoever was in charge of designing core systems for the game should likely lose their job if it plays out how I think it's going to, and I haven't even mentioned the issue with dungeons. I fully understand I haven't seen all of the systems, I just don't like the direction so far.

Last edited:
Probably not going to happen but I hope they change the size of the items in your inventory. It doesn't seem right to have a two handed sword or any weapon or piece of armor for that matter be the same size as a ring or amulet.

We like playing Tetris.

Reactions: Xrave
like this
Probably not going to happen but I hope they change the size of the items in your inventory. It doesn't seem right to have a two handed sword or any weapon or piece of armor for that matter be the same size as a ring or amulet.

We like playing Tetris.
Normies don't like inventory tetris, also known as "inventory management". Everything has to be accessible to everyone now.

They want you to play the game right to the release of Diablo V. It'd be a colossal, all-time blunder for them to go back on what they've very publicly detailed, likely damaging Blizzard beyond repair and losing Activision and shareholders a massive amount of money. How does this not register?
They don't care. They did monetization models in the previous two Diablo games. How does that not register? In fact Blizzard has gone from a monetization free company, to being bought by Activision and placing monetization in some form or another in every game since. Some of them are just pure monetization like Hearthstone. Those statements are factual. In fact going into Activisions playbook, they put monetization in every CoD game too and fully expect every gamer to play CoD at launch just fine.

It's not a question of whether there will be monetization, it will merely be a matter of what kind. And unlike you that buys the party line they don't deserve a single dollar of mine until I see a completed product and reviews. If you do preorders and the garbage that comes with too, then that's also up to you. But it's also factual to state that the previous two Diablo games were also terrible at launch, even ignoring monetization models.
You have no reason to apply your p2w fears and conspiracy theories to Diablo 4 until they show otherwise. If your only goal is to complain about things that haven't happened to a game you're not buying then sure, I'll gladly have a mod get this back on track.
I don't have to explain my buying behavior or what I want to complain about to anyone. The purpose of a forum is public discussion. If you're bent out of shape on either of those things, that's on you. Heck, the previous posts to this one is all complaining about mechanics in game and character models as well as inventory management.

If no one complained on a forum, there wouldn't be forums. Feel free to call the mod now.

Last edited:

We like playing Tetris.
Or: Inventory management sucks, I really don't care how they set it up as long as it's quick to use.
In D3 there were two sizes, amulets/rings/gems/materials at 1x and everything else 2x.
D4 everything is 2x. I kind of don't understand why they bothered with the sizes at all then other than to make the models longer.
Again, not that it's all that important. So long as you can cram everything in there.

Yep! I'll play Tetris when the mood strikes, and while I agree it's weird that small items are not a single square in size, at the end of the day I don't care. Gameplay>Story>customization>inventory management (I'm sure there are more in the middle).

OH that wolf... got it. Yeah saw it last night. Copy that.
This part was actually more challenging going through at LV25. Admittedly my Barb wasn't geared the best either.

Attachments

• Screenshot044.jpg
    Screenshot044.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 0
hows this compare to PoE? I never played any diablos.
Hard to say right now, but I'd say it's a more polished (bigger backstory) version of PoE. Endgame is still to be experienced, but it should be very polished. Monetization is an unknown right now, and why I'm not going to buy until it's seen in final form. But I'm hopeful, and think the combat plays more fluidly than PoE.

My experience with PoE is limited. However I can say without a doubt that in a lot of ways Diablo 3 pushes more action and less RPG and focuses on being player friendly/centric. It's gameplay generally is about end game content and seasons. The grind then is more about gear/content and far less about trying to hit level cap. Though I think D4 is going to make leveling slower than D3. D3, you can start a season and hit cap in less than 5 hours if you're a noobie. If you're a pro/optimized player then <2 (Raxx showed it's possible to hit cap, and finish the first 4 parts of the season journey to get a six piece set in about 2 hours and 15 minutes). I think Blizzard has stated that they want hitting cap to take 10 hours or so in D4.

POE is a much more technical game. You basically have to know way more to play it. And if you don't know how you're going to build your character from level 1, you're going to have a really hard time. There is a lot more memorization consequently. It also means some builds are significantly better than others.

Diablo in general will of course have tiered builds with certain ones being better than others, but because of how easy it is to re-roll, it's not limited at all like PoE is.

PoE gains skills through a gem system.
Diablo uses a skill tree.

Refunding in Diablo is going to be relatively inexpensive (just gold cost, and gold is plentiful - and can literally be done at any time) and it's designed to support players that want to change up how they play their character often.
PoE, refunding is pretty punishing. Trying to remove points from the tree (especially all at once to do a full rebuild) could take days to farm.

Endgame content I would say that PoE has consistently been more advanced than Diablo. Generally Diablo is just kill end-game content for drops in various zones. Seasons just adds flavors by adding some powers here and there. PoE generally adds full-blown story content and a much more intricate game play loop.

Diablo IV we don't really know anything about end game content other than what has been shown. However because Diablo IV is an open world, it is much more built/designed to have diverse end-game content than before. D3 had a linear story mode and then had to make non-linear content on top of that, which was very hard to do. That's also similar to PoE. D4's open world should mean that end-game content could be in any zone and going from zone to zone should be a lot more interesting than it has been previously.

My experience with PoE is limited. However I can say without a doubt that in a lot of ways Diablo 3 pushes more action and less RPG and focuses on being player friendly/centric. It's gameplay generally is about end game content and seasons. The grind then is more about gear/content and far less about trying to hit level cap. Though I think D4 is going to make leveling slower than D3. D3, you can start a season and hit cap in less than 5 hours if you're a noobie. If you're a pro/optimized player then <2 (Raxx showed it's possible to hit cap, and finish the first 4 parts of the season journey to get a six piece set in about 2 hours and 15 minutes). I think Blizzard has stated that they want hitting cap to take 10 hours or so in D4.

POE is a much more technical game. You basically have to know way more to play it. And if you don't know how you're going to build your character from level 1, you're going to have a really hard time. There is a lot more memorization consequently. It also means some builds are significantly better than others.

Diablo in general will of course have tiered builds with certain ones being better than others, but because of how easy it is to re-roll, it's not limited at all like PoE is.

PoE gains skills through a gem system.
Diablo uses a skill tree.

Refunding in Diablo is going to be relatively inexpensive (just gold cost, and gold is plentiful - and can literally be done at any time) and it's designed to support players that want to change up how they play their character often.
PoE, refunding is pretty punishing. Trying to remove points from the tree (especially all at once to do a full rebuild) could take days to farm.

Endgame content I would say that PoE has consistently been more advanced than Diablo. Generally Diablo is just kill end-game content for drops in various zones. Seasons just adds flavors by adding some powers here and there. PoE generally adds full-blown story content and a much more intricate game play loop.

Diablo IV we don't really know anything about end game content other than what has been shown. However because Diablo IV is an open world, it is much more built/designed to have diverse end-game content than before. D3 had a linear story mode and then had to make non-linear content on top of that, which was very hard to do. That's also similar to PoE. D4's open world should mean that end-game content could be in any zone and going from zone to zone should be a lot more interesting than it has been previously.
thanks.

I flip-flopped between D2/D3 and PoE for a few years. I'm a filthy casual.
I never needed/wanted a build guide or an Excel spreadsheet for D2/D3. PoE, I felt like you needed to invest *way* more time into builds in order to make noticeable progression.

I'll definitely be playing D4 and PoE2, though.

Yeah- Goblins are fun, and tough little SOBs! Not as bad as the Butcher (only got a pair of kills there).

It will be a lesson in pain.

Smart daddy's take PTO a week after a Diablo game comes out.
Well if the servers shut down or whatever it's going to happen it's going to happen I don't think everyone who played the Open Beta will buy the game so they will have a better threshold on what the severs can do. I did have rubberbanding playing the short time I did so I hope that is fixed anyway.

It will be a lesson in pain.

Smart daddy's take PTO a week after a Diablo game comes out.
If the servers can survive a free weekend beta, the release can survive a Tuesday.
I had a 10 minute queue Friday noon, no queues after that. It was actually very impressive.

Well if the servers shut down or whatever it's going to happen it's going to happen I don't think everyone who played the Open Beta will buy the game so they will have a better threshold on what the severs can do. I did have rubberbanding playing the short time I did so I hope that is fixed anyway.
If the servers can survive a free weekend beta, the release can survive a Tuesday.
I had a 10 minute queue Friday noon, no queues after that. It was actually very impressive.

I just hope there isn't the dreaded "error 37" on launch day again 😨

The beta newness has wore off and many people are now holding for the full game. I fully expect release day to be a mess like the first beta weekend.

The beta newness has wore off and many people are now holding for the full game. I fully expect release day to be a mess like the first beta weekend.

Like the first beta weekend? Nah. They had and will have plenty of time to iron out those issues.

Back