Diablo Is Now Available for Purchase on GOG

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Blizzard Entertainment has announced that the original Diablo is now available on GOG.com for $9.99. The GOG version cannot connect to Battle.net and only supports up to 4 player multiplayer via LAN and P2P connection. The GOG-enhanced version offers several quality of life additions, including minor audio fixes, up-scaling support for resolution and refresh rate control, and compatibility fixes. It still keeps the period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics! GOG will handle troubleshooting for the game. Blizzard also announced that GOG.com will be the future destination for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II.

Darkness stirs beneath Tristram. An ancient evil sweeps across the land, plunging it into civil war and terrorizing the populace. A mad king, his missing son, and a mysterious archbishop are all pieces of the puzzle you need to hack through. You have journeyed to the source of this evil. The town of Tristram - now inhabited only by a handful of survivors, broken and twisted by the madness that has befallen them. A cathedral stands there, built over the ruins of an ancient monastery. Eerie lights and ungodly sounds are heard echoing through its abandoned halls, and that is where you shall venture.

Peaks my interest, especially if it looks ok on higher resolution monitors, the 640x480 was a real killer for its longevity...

About a week ago I started replaying Diablo 1 with The Hell 2 mod. The mod adds a bunch of content and quality of life enhancements (stash, bigger inventory, more enemies, items, classes, levels etc..) but keeps the core game the same. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing since I played it back on my windows 95/98 pc as a kid but I'm enjoying this game way more than Diablo 3. I love the slower pace and actual horror atmosphere of the game.

I'm glad to see this game being available again.

Why no battle net? :( If only we could run a community battle net server... Oh wait, Blizzard already sued those into the ground...

At least it has LAN! Too bad Blizzard won't add that to newer titles of theirs... -.-

Why no battle net? :( If only we could run a community battle net server... Oh wait, Blizzard already sued those into the ground...

At least it has LAN! Too bad Blizzard won't add that to newer titles of theirs... -.-

LAN all the way! I do not want old games requiring connections that didnt require them originally. Just sayin :D

Peaks my interest, especially if it looks ok on higher resolution monitors, the 640x480 was a real killer for its longevity...

It has the original resolution with no graphical improvements...YMMV.

I loved Diablo and I couldn't say how many hours I spent playing it - but that's just it, I already bought it once... naturally, no way I'd be able to find my original copy, it was 20 years and 12 timezones away, but $9.99 seems a bit steep to repurchase a game that old as well, especially when not a remaster - it's had bugger all done to it...

I loved Diablo and I couldn't say how many hours I spent playing it - but that's just it, I already bought it once... naturally, no way I'd be able to find my original copy, it was 20 years and 12 timezones away, but $9.99 seems a bit steep to repurchase a game that old as well, especially when not a remaster - it's had bugger all done to it...
I'm not sure the price of Blizzard games drops below $10 ever.

That is awesome. D1 was such an amazing game. Great spooky atmosphere, excellent pacing, and great music. I remember the first time playing it and walking into some random room, hearing "fresh meat" and then murdered by the Butcher very quickly. I was surprised to see a boss so quickly in some random location. The game also had no mercy since when you died, you dropped your gear. Really made my friends and I on BNET be careful when walking around corners or entering rooms. Good times.

but does item duping still exist when clicking the potions the second you pick up a godly bow of the bear. That knockback was amazing

Given Blizzards general behaviour I am very surprised that they didn't release this on their own platform .....

Given Blizzards general behaviour I am very surprised that they didn't release this on their own platform .....

One story I read on this said that D1 doesn't play well with the current Blizzard launcher setup. Rather then have to re-write the parts of D1 that needed fixing, they opted to release via GOG.

Doesn't appear that any changes were made to LAN play. Still IPX. Some of the GOG forum postings say that IPXWrapper is included. Sad that someone hasn't fixed the LAN module to support generic TCP/IP since TCP/IP support is already there for Battlenet.

Oh yeah, the game where you wanted to be careful with whom you grouped. A death meant all your stuff flew on the floor, and you had to go get it back. Should you be with a jerk, they'd of course pick it all up and log out.

I remember standing watch over a little corpse and a pile of Things-Of-The-Zodiac/Whale until my friend got back.

This game brings back a lot of memories. My friends & I used to play either this or C&C all the time on LAN. College days...
I also had to support a convention in Las Vegas back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I was at the Mandalay Bay for 2.5 weeks. For the record, I don't gamble, don't drink much, and was trying to save money to buy a house. After long working days, I stayed in my hotel room playing Diablo on an IBM Thinkpad. It was great! I probably saved myself hundreds of dollars :)

So would tens of other people, and I guess that's the problem - note, that's not a stab against Linux gaming, but this would be a niche within a niche on Linux I think... so probably not worth their while.
So is the people who would play Diablo from GOG. Port it to Linux cause Linux is the future.

I am surprised that they are just re-releasing these in their original format on GoG, I really thought they would have done what they did for Starcraft and remastered it and re released it on Battlenet.

From GoG's website
Unite to destroy Diablo - up to 4 players can band together via Internet, or play head-to-head via direct IP.
soooo is it lan only or can you play across the web? i know what the OP says but im reading the site differently.

Does it come with the expansion that was made for it? I lost the disc a while back.

LOL $10? They should be giving it away for free by now. Who is going to pay for a 20 year old game?

I am surprised that they are just re-releasing these in their original format on GoG, I really thought they would have done what they did for Starcraft and remastered it and re released it on Battlenet.
They will release that later - for $39.99.

Back