Diablo III’s Necromancer Aims to Be More Than a Nostalgic Act

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Anyone still playing Diablo III? If not, is the return of the Necromancer class enough to get you back in the game? This time around, the content will be available as DLC instead of an expansion: you’ll now be able to use a female version of the character, and the class will have a unique storyline to follow.

The Necromancer was previously a character in Diablo II famous for controlling his own army of undead minions and doing fun things with corpses like making them explode. But I got to play with a build of the Diablo III Necromancer at the Game Developers Conference earlier this month in San Francisco that focused more on blood magic than undead manipulation. I was able to shoot out a Blood Nova from my body, doing a large amount of damage to enemies around me while sacrificing my own health. But I was able to restore my life with other abilities, including one that would siphon health from corpses and another that gave me some life from my giant minion, a Blood Golem.

Just in time to get my super duper ancient weapons as Blizz has no imagination to add content to the game.

Little concerning a price hasn't been released. Anymore than $10 for this DLC would be a mistake since the community is so small for this game now.

Does this require the expansion? I haven't played this game in like 5 years...

Sadly, D3 burned me out shortly after release, prior to the whole console release and redesign. Tried again recently but just can't back into it. I had a lot more fun with Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn.

I still play Diablo 3 for a few hours every week, leveling up my Barbarian. I keep wanting to start a new class, but than just decide to hammer out a few more paragon levels instead.

I tried the "it's fixed with the expansion". It certainly wasnt. Game is flawed.

Exactly This!

came back to the game thought things might get better. But it certainly didn't.

The limitation of skill actions and stats based gears are just fucking stupid. 4 Player limit also makes the run less fun IMO.
Drops on the other hand is just pure crap in general.
The storyline is a complete horse shit....

I will most definitely buy this and play through D3 again. It's become a great game, I've played in since launch and ended playing around Season 2. I've played some seasons to get stash tabs but I ended up being bored with it.

This will be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

While the game has improved there are other arpg or rogues-likes that fill your squish click needs. Friends and I spoke to Wyatt Cheng at Blizzcon last year, and while that guy is very passionate about Diablo and this genre we almost felt embarrassed when he asked us what we thought of the necromancer. He is a good dude though because anyone who can bullshit about Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for hours with me and my friends is a-okay. In my opinion I look at Diablo3 as the casual arpg, because if you have a free weekend you can get things done, get decked out with loot drops, get to a decent GR, and leave it alone; however, If you want something more grindy with better character building mechanics then head to PoE.

Last edited:
D3 is way over due for an expansion, the last expansion was 3 years ago.

Talk to me when they release Diablo II with upgraded graphics but all of the game play and mechanics saying true to the original game. I still play Diablo II. I played it last night in fact. I can't be bothered with D3, haven't played in 6 months maybe?

Got to try the necromancer out at Blizzcon last year, pretty fun where it was back in November.

I was a D2E Junkie back in high school. In college, I wrote/modified a few scripts to play the game, deposit everything into a shell account, and sell on Ebay. Hello $50 week drinking money.

Was stoked for D3, but hated the limited build customization. I enjoy Path of Exile much more, even if the graphics are nowhere near as good.

Was stoked for D3, but hated the limited build customization.

This is a huge understatement. Made the horrid mistake of buying a collector's box with the Diablo head with USB soulstone.

I paid way too much for Diablo's head to sit on my desk while figuring out what the fuck I should do with the shitty game it came with.

This is a huge understatement. Made the horrid mistake of buying a collector's box with the Diablo head with USB soulstone.

I paid way too much for Diablo's head to sit on my desk while figuring out what the fuck I should do with the shitty game it came with.
D3 is a perfectly fine game that got exceptionally betterf over time

Reactions: Rahh
like this
Can’t stand being confined to 6 skills in a game like this, miss D2 freedom style games; those cock blockers at blizzard blew off a good franchise!... :mad:

Can’t stand being confined to 6 skills in a game like this, miss D2 freedom style games; those cock blockers at blizzard blew off a good franchise!... :mad:
No they refined it, and you get tremendous freedom within those 6 skills and what you use. Sometimes less is more and allows easier initial access. D3 has tremendous depth.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
For some reason I still liked d2 and d2:lod more... The "shitty" pixelated graphics fit the universe more than the colorful hd of d3.

The Eastern Sun and Median XL (both DiabloII mods) were better than DIII. Hell vanilla D2:LoD was better than DIII. PoE has faaar surpassed DIII and D2:LoD.

I wish someone would do a updated mod of Eastern Sun though. Or at least just pull some of the key game mechanics out and slap them into DIII or PoE. You could do a lot of really slick stuff in that game.

I like D3 but I play it in spurts or when I have a free 30 minutes. It's a great game for quick sprint players that have little time like myself. I still log in and have fun with it but agree that it is in dire need of new content. That and I onl paid 20$ for it and the expansion on sale so I definitely feel I got my money's worth.

No they refined it, and you get tremendous freedom within those 6 skills and what you use. Sometimes less is more and allows easier initial access. D3 has tremendous depth.

Hahahaha Okay Sparky!... Have out grown Blizzerd……

I don't give a squat about a new class if the stuff I do with it is the same as it's been for a couple years now.

Can they change the static map?!?

Gets so boring after the second run through.

Agree that Torchlight games are the proper successor to D2.

Back