Diablo III Won't Have PvP Features at Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
There’s good news and bad news. The bad news first: Blizzard has announced that the much anticipated player-vs-player features in Diablo 3 will not be making the initial release schedule. The good news is the player-vs-player features will be added at a future date through a patch later in the year.

PvP will be added to Diablo III via a post release patch. Wilson stated that when it is ready, players will get access to a number of multiplayer arenas along with PvP specific achievements and matchmaking features.

Fine by me, PvP was an silly feature to add to previous games. Supposed to be band of heroes vs ultimate evil, not little pricks screwing with others

Does the patch cost money? If not, then Bobby Kotick isn't doing his job well enough.

Lol, Blizzard just guaranteed that it will not receive my patronage.

Fine by me, PvP was an silly feature to add to previous games. Supposed to be band of heroes vs ultimate evil, not little pricks screwing with others

Eh...... even in factions and "heroes" there will be disagreements.

I never played Diablo II seriously...but i played it shortly (very shortly) with some friends a little while back, for the first time. I have also played numerous SCII and WC3 mods/maps that tried to immitate its gameplay. Diablo III is just going to be a continuation of a cult classic for those interested. There won't be anything new or any kind of innovative gameplay. It was the same with SC2 - I just enjoyed it because it was somewhat new to me - I never played SC1. I got bored of SC2 FAR quicker than I did with an innovative game like World in Conflict. With Diablo 2, the very nature of its gameplay is ancient and boring (only people similar to those whole like to grind in MMORPGs enjoy those click-click-click-click-click...forever repeat...games).

I will pass...people are just desperately holding onto false hopes that an old guard company like Blizzard or Bioware, who both no longer exist in any respect creatively, will miraculously create a game that brings back old feelings of nostalgia from an era that seems forever lost, an era when games were made for a consumer base that did not consist only of two groups of people: those who want to have a bunch of random flashling images and loud noises thrown at them without thinking for 30minutes or so and hardcore-addicts that will pay for tons of repeating content to occupy them for hours on end every single day without break.

lost hope in blizzard a long time ago. bethesda is the only game studio still worth my money.

PvP will be a later paid DLC. Just watch.

Agreed. I expect it'll be ~6 months after release, touted as an "optional expansion pack" and will be missing half the features they promised when/if you do buy it.

I fear that D3 will be watered down, DLC heavy, mess. They simply don't care about making a great game that sells on it's own merit. They want a game made with the highest calculated potential for profit.

yup, i read this yesterday, i fully expect it to be a paid DLC later on.

just remember though, the majority of the diablo 2 team doesn't even work for blizzard anymore... so just keep that in mind...

Don't care, I am buying it for the PvE content. I'll PvP in GW2 or something else.

This is ok.... if you want to play a PvP game there are plenty to chose from.

Having played all of the classes to level 13 in the beta I can't say that the game feels balanced for pvp at all.

PvP = play VERSUS player.. so ya,, it kind of was meant to be people dicking around with others, if you didn't want to PvP you shouldn't of left town or made a PvP player.

Eh...... even in factions and "heroes" there will be disagreements.
Then play WoW, Granted I haven't been keeping my eye much on the D3 beta, but Diablo has been a single player game or a campaign with co-op experience. "Disagreements" really shouldn't be in the mix as the social aspect really isn't (wasn't) that big in any other past Diablo game.

The PvE of D1 & D2 were fun for a few days, but PvP is ultimately what most people played for. Castrated without it. I don't do DLC or subscription BS. Expansions are one thing, but intentionally shipping without a core feature is just too greedy.

See I don't know, the lexicon apparently changed on me since Diablo 2.

PvE?? Yeah we just called that Single Player

PvP - That's when other players could kill you

Coop - This is what I liked about D1/2 having other players play with me, but we weren't playing AGAINST (synonym of versus), we played WITH each other. As a result this would not be considered PvP in any way shape or form.

So, if they've removed co-op I'd be pissed, if they've removed other players being able to kill me then I stand by my original statement of "I don't give a shit let them"

Then play WoW, Granted I haven't been keeping my eye much on the D3 beta, but Diablo has been a single player game or a campaign with co-op experience. "Disagreements" really shouldn't be in the mix as the social aspect really isn't (wasn't) that big in any other past Diablo game.

How does that mean anything? Disagreements happen in any factions, and usually story wise, it happens. Wouldn't be surprised if Diablo's got it's fair share. Things are rarely ever black and white, so I don't see why PVP shouldn't be in it just because it's a good vs evil.

I'm not saying I'm all for pvp, because I'm not. But if it's there, who gives a shit, as long as it doesn't mean the quality drops on the other aspect of the game. I'm sure the quality drop will be due to the many other influences... like Activision.

Agreed. I expect it'll be ~6 months after release, touted as an "optional expansion pack" and will be missing half the features they promised when/if you do buy it.

I fear that D3 will be watered down, DLC heavy, mess. They simply don't care about making a great game that sells on it's own merit. They want a game made with the highest calculated potential for profit.

If all they wanted was profit they would have released two years ago. Blizzard is taking time to do things right.

just remember though, the majority of the diablo 2 team doesn't even work for blizzard anymore... so just keep that in mind...

Might it be because Diablo 2 is 12 years old now? Nah, it couldn't be...

:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, (literately). I pretty much thought Diablo 3 looked like a piece of garbage and now it just seems even more so. No PVP at all? Just PVE? So less features than Diablo 2 offered in some-ways.

It's already great when a company starts taking giant leaps backwards in future titles. Like how well Final Fantasy 14 turned out when they skipped lessons learned from FF11 *giant /sarcasm tag* and didn't include most of FF11's developments or other basic features like an action-house. :rolleyes:

I normally skip over PVE content and focus on PVP in games, but I never thought the PVP in the Diablo games was any good.

No offense to Blizzard.. I love and own pretty much all their games... but wtf man.. I mean is their development time so relaxed and so open ended that they can't stick to anything?

I mean if you're going to delay a game that many times through the course of changing things, the least you can do is release a final and polished product.

I've yet to be disappointed with a game from Blizzard but from what I've seen of D3 development, it's been a clusterfuck.

Might it be because Diablo 2 is 12 years old now? Nah, it couldn't be...

:rolleyes:

Nope its because they left Blizzard North and formed Flagship Studios and then formed Runic games. The same company that brought us Tourchlight.

No offense to Blizzard.. I love and own pretty much all their games... but wtf man.. I mean is their development time so relaxed and so open ended that they can't stick to anything?

The majority of players like me are just frustrated it's taking so long then there are people like you who want the game delayed more? Blizzard are absolute perfectionists unlike every other game company out there. They refuse to release something until it's perfect in their eyes. They now had to make a choice in delaying the game for god knows how much longer to make PVP work or release the game as is without PVP so the 10+ million players casn start playing the game. It's not like anyone who actually PVP's is going to at least until they start getting drops from inferno.

And to all the people who hate Blizzard in here. You're the same people who hate Apple aren't you? You're all alike. Blind.

Don't care, I am buying it for the PvE content. I'll PvP in GW2 or something else.

That's quite hilarious, considering that Diablo 1 / 2 storylines were shit. The only thing good to ever come out of the Diablo series is a loot-based game with a decent skill system.

The majority of players like me are just frustrated it's taking so long then there are people like you who want the game delayed more? Blizzard are absolute perfectionists unlike every other game company out there. They refuse to release something until it's perfect in their eyes. They now had to make a choice in delaying the game for god knows how much longer to make PVP work or release the game as is without PVP so the 10+ million players casn start playing the game. It's not like anyone who actually PVP's is going to at least until they start getting drops from inferno.

And to all the people who hate Blizzard in here. You're the same people who hate Apple aren't you? You're all alike. Blind.

Aren't you the one generalizing? What does that make you? A blind Apple/Blizzard fanboi?

A lot of us have good reasons to gripe against Blizzard. Panda-land from World of Warcraft being the prime example. The dumbing down of content in WoTLK/Cataclysm.

The biggest issues about Diablo 3 are the art direction (why the f* is this game so colorful) that is literally the opposite of Diablo 1/2, the low-res textures (it could be beta-only to save download time, but that is doubtful), and the non-fluid movement/casting.

PvP was never really a popular feature in the Diablo series. But seriously, the way they implemented it in Diablo 2 was ridiculously simplicated. It just feels like a step backwards. For me, Hardcore Mode PvP was some of the most thrilling PvP moments I've ever had (due to the fact that you have SO much to lose).

That's quite hilarious, considering that Diablo 1 / 2 storylines were shit. The only thing good to ever come out of the Diablo series is a loot-based game with a decent skill system.

Speak for yourself, the storylines of Diablo 1/2 were good enough to support what it was, a dark overly bloody massive click fest rpg type of game.

If that means the game will be released sooner, good. If I wanted this so-called "PVP" action then I'll just hop on Battlefield 3.

My main issue with this is that blizzard talked about pvp and arenas in D3 some time back. I thought D2 pvp was crap, but I was excited to think blizzcon was going to offer something new and innovative for D3 - namely fun addicting pvp.

So ya, disappointed with this one.

Back