Diablo III: Reaper of Souls' Expansion Revealed

I often wonder if being a veteran dev hurts your creativity and foresight. It seems that way to me.

Hell, it's the same problem in the film industry.

Not totally, I fear the day that people like Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan (though a newer addition), Michael Mann, John Lasseter, & Ridley Scott are no longer with us. It seems apparent (to me) that none of the new-comers have any desire to out shine these pillars of modern film making.

who the hell played diablo on LAN?

I did. Quite a bit leveling many characters into the 60-70's with my roomate.

Characters I still have. Characters I can still play, and all their little gear too.

I am the sucker who always stood in line for the CE version of all Bliz games, because they had the secret sauce just right for their games.

Then came D3, along with its lack of randomness, completely pointless crafting and crap loot drops. It went beyond crap design; there were technical problems like a lack of fullscreen multi-monitor support.

Not this time Blizzard. What a shame.

Well, since I'm one of the few that enjoyed D3, I'll be picking this up as well. Crusader looks neat. I did recently get back into D3 after not playing for several months, since it didn't have the saying power that D3 did. Seems like good loot drops way more often. And I'm looking forward to Loot 2.0 and the Smart Drops systems.

How noone has commented on the name "Reaper of Souls" being probably the most accurate name for a Blizzard expansion due to the undying hatred for this game made me laugh.

Bunch of whiners. D3 isn't perfect, but which game is today? They are all destroyed in the name of micro-transactions or monthly fees. Nothing will probably change that back. Not that it has to be as catastrophic as Sim City (or most things EA really), but going back to D2 is still to me actually less fun than D3 today. So for this style of game D3 is good enough for mindless fun for a bunch of hours now and then, and for all it's faults, it is for me more fun than D2 (even though I subjectively HAD more fun with D2 at the time). I will get the expansion, I will probably get value for money at least.
Also, I think most of the changes they have made since launch has been for the better, even if you had to cry a little over a few good items turning to crap, it was for the better in the long run.

All you need to do is play Path of Exile to realize how truly horrible D3 is. Path of Exile's budget was probably less than D3's craft service budget and yet they managed to create a game that is more enjoyable, has better voice acting, better level randomization, better graphics and infinitely better storyline. When I played D3, I thought it was fun, if a bit short and full of stupid bugs. But after playing PoE, I realized the whole D3 studio should have been fired.

Bunch of whiners. D3 isn't perfect, but which game is today? They are all destroyed in the name of micro-transactions or monthly fees. Nothing will probably change that back. Not that it has to be as catastrophic as Sim City (or most things EA really), but going back to D2 is still to me actually less fun than D3 today. So for this style of game D3 is good enough for mindless fun for a bunch of hours now and then, and for all it's faults, it is for me more fun than D2 (even though I subjectively HAD more fun with D2 at the time). I will get the expansion, I will probably get value for money at least.
Also, I think most of the changes they have made since launch has been for the better, even if you had to cry a little over a few good items turning to crap, it was for the better in the long run.

Oh, sooooo sorry we complain about the obvious flaws instead of just settling.

sad Diablo and Wow are both what got me into gaming and an IT career, and with the d3 release and most recent wow expack, my gaming as pretty much stopped, I own a macbook air, not even a gaming pc anymore

sad i need to fill all my free time with archery and hunting now... lol

worthess post A+ wouldn't read again

The only game to come close since D1D2 is/was Path of Exile(www.pathofexile.com). A game made by a garage size team of talented noobs. It is an amazing game. It's only shortcoming is that is lacks the polish of a Blizzard title.

For Multiplayer perhaps ... I would argue that the Fate/Torchlight series and the Titan Quest titles were equally good (although not as dark as D1/D2) ... Grim Dawn (from the same team that did TQ) looks extremely promising also :cool:

Titans Quest was a great game I loved playing that coop with my roommate, Grim Dawn made by same company going to have to look that up now...

Awesome, I'm pretty excited for this. Loved the cinematic and what was shown so far. The game is far from perfect, but still fun at its core, and it seems the developers really know now what to change and what the fan/playerbase would want.

I'll keep my eye on this, but as it stands now I'm definitely going to buy it.

What the fuck kind of expansion includes only 1 new class and only 1 new chapter? Welcome to the fucking 2013 video game industry boys. They should be giving this "expansion" away for free after that fucking travesty that their original D3 release. Disgusting.
How are people even enjoying D3 right now? I just dont get it.

I hope it has extremely disappointing sales so they can see where they missed the mark so hard with D3.

the game and its expansions are now microtransactions too

although theyll probably want 30-60$ for it

I hope it has extremely disappointing sales so they can see where they missed the mark so hard with D3.

I honestly hope the opposite. I would have no qualms with the game, or giving them my money if they fixed the game and actually churned out a good product.

What the fuck kind of expansion includes only 1 new class and only 1 new chapter? Welcome to the fucking 2013 video game industry boys. They should be giving this "expansion" away for free after that fucking travesty that their original D3 release. Disgusting.
How are people even enjoying D3 right now? I just dont get it.

Uh...Diablo 2's expansion added only 2 new classes and 1 new chapter. This expansion is pretty similar

I won't touch the expansion. Diablo 3 was the biggest disappointment in my life as far as games go. Blizzard desecrated my precious when they concocted Diablo 3. I'd rather play Diablo 2 in all it's 800 X 600 low res glory.

Shhhhh, you hear that?

That's the sound of nobody caring

Diablo III is a trainwreck, WoW is a trainwreck, SC2 is getting its ass kicked by DOTA/LoL despite being a somewhat ok game.

Unless Blizzard pulls an amazing rebound with this (Unlikely) they're dead, and its all due to that asshole Bobby Kotick

Shhhhh, you hear that?

Diablo III is a trainwreck, WoW is a trainwreck, SC2 is getting its ass kicked by DOTA/LoL despite being a somewhat ok game.

Unless Blizzard pulls an amazing rebound with this (Unlikely) they're dead, and its all due to that asshole Bobby Kotick

How would Blizzard be dead? They make money hand over fist. They also don't work for Bobby Kotick.

How would Blizzard be dead? They make money hand over fist. They also don't work for Bobby Kotick.

They do so work for Bobby K, it was his nagging to put the RMAH into D3 because he saw all the money being made through black market sales and he wanted in on it

Where did you get this information?

Inside comments from blizzard dev's after games release, off the record shit of course

No I don't have direct links, just shit that flew around the forums after the D2 lead took a wild shit on D3, and all of Blizzard went into full damage mode, though the only thing public you can find now about D3 and the RMAH is Blizzard will admit "It was a mistake"

Shhhhh, you hear that?

dogs and cats living together...MASS HYSTARIA!

I'm looking forward to this. Waiting to see what else Blizzard added or removed to piss of their remaining fans. I'm really curious as to the level cap increase. Of the people still playing the game they already have more than enough exp and gear to walk through inferno MP 0-8 solo. The 9-10 crowd just coop and loot run. If they "fix" the game with the level cap to allow to use more of your skills when you want I can see it adding some life to the game but if its just to get more damage and so on.... what's the point since they already added paragon leveling?

They we be smart to bring back some of D2 like runes, charms and more of the various gameplay additions they took away. Oh and scrap the damn AH.

everyone still playing the game I've talked to since the announcement is really looking forward to the expansion. A bunch of people here on this forum complaining about it are the same people who have been complaining about it for the past two years. might be time to move along because Blizzard doesn't give a shit about you or your opinion on the matter

Shit game made by a crew that doesn't get it. The game felt like a poorman's version of PvE WoW. I don't even think the old crew from Blizzard North could do it again. Every ARPG these teams(Blizzard and old Blizz North) have worked on since D1 & D2 has failed in comparison.

The only game to come close since D1D2 is/was Path of Exile(www.pathofexile.com). A game made by a garage size team of talented noobs. It is an amazing game. It's only shortcoming is that is lacks the polish of a Blizzard title.

I often wonder if being a veteran dev hurts your creativity and foresight. It seems that way to me.

Hell, it's the same problem in the film industry.

Love POE ... played the DIII in beta, every class to beta cap and hated it. Did not even buy the game. Pity as I loved D2.

everyone still playing the game I've talked to since the announcement is really looking forward to the expansion. A bunch of people here on this forum complaining about it are the same people who have been complaining about it for the past two years. might be time to move along because Blizzard doesn't give a shit about you or your opinion on the matter

Yup, definitely picking it up. I have a lot of fun with D3. Of course, I also wasn't expecting a game that I would be playing every night. I play D3 the same I played D2, play for a couple months and then take a couple months off. I get a chuckle at the amount of hate filled posts this game gets. I find it weird people actually "hate" some games. To me, a game is either interesting or uninteresting. If it's uninteresting I don't read or post about it. If it's interesting I'll probably buy it and if it eventually bores me, oh well, on to other things. The way some people are acting it's as if they were dating the Diablo series and it just broke up with you, Diablo 3 must have broken a lot of hearts (fake edit: After thinking about it, I think this is pretty accurate as to what's going on).

D3 is the reason why I no longer will pay full price for any game any longer. I now wait till games are out a while and see what they do. I really believed in D3, like a lot of people, and got burned. Personally, I think that game is about done. I don't hear anything speaking about it all in any forums. I'm sure it has it's small following, but not enough to be relevant.

Uh...Diablo 2's expansion added only 2 new classes and 1 new chapter. This expansion is pretty similar

It did a hell of a lot more than that. It also added runes/rune words, revamped anti cheat/map hack (which sucked at first but got better over time), and a huge number of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks. The LoD expansion practically made DII into a new game and breathed quite a bit of new life into it.

I'm looking forward to this. Waiting to see what else Blizzard added or removed to piss of their remaining fans.

If you really want it I'd wait until it goes on sale, buying it at launch price on the launch date is just silly given the way Blizz has been blowing it consistently for a while now.

While you're waiting go dl and play Path of Exile, it'll cost you nothing but its a better game than DIII.

If they were smart they'd just flat out copy a lot of stuff from the DII mod Eastern Sun. Now THAT was a fun game. Too bad Blizz kept screwing the developers over by not updating the mod tools and breaking the mod constantly with each patch.

Blizzard.com said:
Crusader. Driven by a centuries-long quest to cleanse the corruption blighting their beloved Zakarum faith, Crusaders are warriors of righteousness who have been hardened through relentless, brutal combat with the foul evils plaguing eastern Sanctuary. In addition to wearing immensely heavy armor and wielding a wide range of cruel and punishing weapons, this new playable class in Reaper of Souls uses battle magic to strengthen allies and weaken foes. A natural walking tank, the Crusader adds power and versatility to any party of adventurers.

Paladin? Is that you?

It did a hell of a lot more than that. It also added runes/rune words, revamped anti cheat/map hack (which sucked at first but got better over time), and a huge number of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks. The LoD expansion practically made DII into a new game and breathed quite a bit of new life into it.

It also added high-resolution support! Of course, back then that was only 800x600... But still. :D

I won't touch the expansion. Diablo 3 was the biggest disappointment in my life as far as games go. Blizzard desecrated my precious when they concocted Diablo 3. I'd rather play Diablo 2 in all it's 800 X 600 low res glory.

You have to be fucking kidding me, the biggest gaming disappointment in your life???

Ever fucking played Superman 64? Just start there, we could sit here and list games that were WAY worse than D3.

Only on [H] can people buy a game, put 400 hours in, and say it sucked.

Un-believable.

I play D3 the same I played D2, play for a couple months and then take a couple months off.

This... D2 was great, but I didn't play it every night for 13 years. I played for 2-3 months and built toons, then forgot about them.

Then I would just go back and do it all again. D3 is no different.

I wonder when they will announce when they are going to change the stats for the gear your already have to something worse. :p

They destroyed my 15% attack speed build by modifying my gear to 7% months after I had it. Never seen a RPG give such a middle finger to their players until Diablo 3.

Waste of time and money, if it weren't for Starcraft II I would hate Blizzard with such a passion.

That's nothing compared to the nerf bat that hit SWG with the Combat Upgrade...and then again with the NGE.

Back