Diablo III Patch 2.0.1 Goes Live As Reaper of Souls Approaches

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With the Reaper of Souls expansion pack release right around the corner, Blizzard has released a fix-all patch (2.0.1) that will hopefully clear the table for a trouble free rollout of the Reaper of Souls.

To be honest, the number of changes added in Patch 2.0.1 is staggering.

interesting. I haven't had a chance to play recently, but I'll see if I can carve out some time to install it on my notebook.

New patch is awesome!

inb4 all the salty people that quit around ~1.0.3 coming in the thread to crap about the game and how they got burned and how blizzard will never get their money again and something about d2.

I was a HUGE Diablo 2 fan, and I've played WoW for 10 years now.

I played through Diablo 3 and it was OK but I've never really had any desire to go back and play it again. Here's to hoping that the changes make it a more compelling game.

New patch is awesome!

inb4 all the salty people that quit around ~1.0.3 coming in the thread to crap about the game and how they got burned and how blizzard will never get their money again and something about d2.

Yeah it was a quite an accomplishment to be riding on the shoulders of a classic like D2, have literally millions of people pumped up about the coming D3, and then release the garbage that was D3. It died after a few months and took D2 well done.

Yeah it was a quite an accomplishment to be riding on the shoulders of a classic like D2, have literally millions of people pumped up about the coming D3, and then release the garbage that was D3. It died after a few months and took D2 well done.

dude...you're forgetting what D2 was at release...it wasn't as shiny as many would have you think it was before the x-pack. A similar thing is happening with D3. After this patch it is a great game and it seems that after the x-pack it'll be even better. Sure, it might not be to your liking but it's definitely not garbage. It is a much different beast than it was at release (and even at release it wasn't as bad except for the end-game stuff).

Anyway, I am glad with the way it's going, here's to hoping more improvements like that will come in the future!

Blizzard is good again in my book. New patch proves that they listen and that the original was fucked up.

I haven't really followed the patches or anything since I finished the game the first time but with Jay Wilson gone maybe this might prove to be an improvement. I have read/heard that this expansion is suppose to move it more toward what people expected but I still have rather foul taste in my mouth. I really wanted it to be good and to enjoy it. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Though I don't see how game mechanic and loot systems can improve the awful story.

Is the patch for PC only?

I avoided the PC version, but the console version got really good reviews so I picked it up and play it in occasional spurts of a few days at a time.

The PC version is the one with tthe patch. The loot on console was already patched to be something in between what this patch does and 1.08 , some people called it loot 1.5

The game is now based around looting items instead of pay to win through auction house , AH is still up till 18th of March.

And the patch makes this a different game.

The game is now based around looting items instead of pay to win through auction house , AH is still up till 18th of March.
Does the patch (latest maybe?) address the loot drop rate percentages? From what I understand the program had built in "safeguards" (for their money making auction house scheme) to make sure rare things stayed rare, meaning the auction house (and hence what everyone else did in the game) affected the shit you got regardless if you ever played with them.

I'd be happy to have them patch out the always online requirement, since it was obvious from the start that was the only way they could control their economy of fake goods for real money.

I sat down with the game for a few hours yesterday, it is most definitely moving in the right direction. I will miss my archon wiz but now it feels like all of the skills are useful and potentially build worthy instead of pigeonholing into either archon or cm/ww builds.

Loot that is actually useful for character improvement actually drops now, which is a nice change even if it comes at the cost of the auction house being shut down.

dude...you're forgetting what D2 was at release...it wasn't as shiny as many would have you think it was before the x-pack. A similar thing is happening with D3. After this patch it is a great game and it seems that after the x-pack it'll be even better. Sure, it might not be to your liking but it's definitely not garbage. It is a much different beast than it was at release (and even at release it wasn't as bad except for the end-game stuff).

Anyway, I am glad with the way it's going, here's to hoping more improvements like that will come in the future!

I'll be honest. I'm a huuuuuuge Blizzard fan and basically grew up on their games, when D3 came out it felt like a betrayal to me and of their own standards. I haven't even really looked into the patch or the expansion much but I keep hearing people say it's improves the game alot, so maybe I'll fire up my account again and give it a shot.

I want to try the patch but I do not want to install the Battle.net app. I ran into an issue where I had to reinstall WoW, D3. and SC2 because it was not loading a WoW patch.

I want to try the patch but I do not want to install the Battle.net app. I ran into an issue where I had to reinstall WoW, D3. and SC2 because it was not loading a WoW patch.

Balls, that must've taken forever and then some....

That woulda sucked. I hope you didn't hit your bandwidth limit. :p

This patch is a game-changer for me.

I was one of those people that dropped D3, because the loot system was not what I enjoyed. I didn't find it fun to grind for useless items, where the only goal was to make gold off of the junk so you could finally buy something off of the AH just so you could progress in the game.

I only played a bit so far and the loot is quite impressive now (I'm finding stuff that I'm actually equipping right away). I like to think I'm making progress in my loot progression, otherwise the endless grind just isn't fun.

So if the above was one of your gripes, it's worth another look.

BTW: Lot more in patch besides loot change... I only touched on that as that is what basically made me put down the game.

only tried the open beta and the graphics were so bad (google cherenkov radiation, the bloom looked just like that imo) i thought i had problems with my eyesight while playing. what a wasted opportunity due to corporate greed to shit out a terrible game with a real money auction house.

I installed the patch, last night, and finished the game after not touching it for months. Loot was a lot better. I'm all in for Reaper!

"To be honest, nobody is going to give a fuck"

Fixed that for you

No loot sharing for high end items? Essentially the entire core of the Diablo experience?

Yeah, pass

Fixed that for you

No loot sharing for high end items? Essentially the entire core of the Diablo experience?

Yeah, pass

Been reading the patch notes and the game has been almost completely changed. I dunno if it's enough change to wash the bad taste from D3 release but I'll give it a shot.

Fixed that for you

Yeah, pass

you can trade with your party within a 2 hour window.

How does that change the fact that after those two hours, you can never trade those items?

What good is farming gear if you can't trade it?

Can't have their precious economy disrupted by in-game trading where it might be possible to sell stuff through back channels.

Can't have their precious economy disrupted by in-game trading where it might be possible to sell stuff through back channels.

The thing is, I never sold items in Diablo 2, but I did trade for them

Diablo 3 was Activision trying to get in on that market, and failing spectacularly

And instead of giving us back the old system, where we could trade anything, they took it away, cause fuck giving us anything fun, gotta make money money money

Gonna give it another go-around. Seems like the patch that should have been "the" patch a long long time ago.

Been on and off and haven't paid attention to D3 news. So with the new system, what do you do with items that you don't equip, was anything added? Is there new purpose of gold without the auction house?

The patch has made the game exponentially better, in my opinion. So what you can't trade the items after two hours, or to other people outside of the party. This actually encourages you to run with a party. Drop rates are high enough that you will get upgrades to your gear just by playing. I've been playing since the patch came out, and have upgraded all my Demon Hunter's gear except for his weapon (with legendaries and set items). A friend of mine couldn't play very well before the patch (because his monk died too often), but is now playing and having a great time.

2.0.1 is a great improvement, and Reaper of Souls will be even better.

I really don't like this way of thinking. "Hey Game A sucked when it came out 15 years ago, so you shouldn't expect any of the lessons learned to be carried over to Game B." It's like a car company building a Model T today and someone excusing them because that's how Ford started. There really is no excuse for how far off the mark D3 was at launch.

Anyway, I have given the game another shot after the latest patch and have to say it is what the game should have been at launch. A lot more fun farming loot for myself instead of farming gold to buy what I really want off the AH.

It still isn't going to get me to spend $40 on the x-pac though. I'll wait until it hits about $15.

Does it still require a persistent internet connection for single player?
If the answer is yes, I'm still not buying.
Screw you Blizzard.
I used to love you.

I completely disagree with you. I remember playing D2 when it was released and it was a great game. In fact, when I still played D2 (maybe 1 or 2 years ago) half of my characters were non-expansion, just because I thought the difficulty increase made the game a lot more fun. I'd also like to add that I think D2 has become worse over the years due to bad decision making on patches.

With that said, while the attempt at trying to fix the abomination called Diablo 3 is a nice gesture, they still have no idea what the hell they are doing.

MissCheetah (tech support) said:
Trading as you know it...is removed. Blizzard does not want to run an economy simulator, they want people to be able to find their own gear instead. Gear that drops now is different and the rate at which is drops is different (improved most say). The most efficient way is to play with 3 other friends and give each other items you don't need that would be good for them. So, no, it is not single player if you want to gear up the fastest way.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11885008402#12

They essentially removed trading from this game. This is basically a single player game that you can play online with your friends. Found an awesome item that you don't need? That sucks, no trading for you (trading a legendary within 2 hours exclusively with your party is NOT trading). For the D2 fans out there, I'm sure all of you can remember some of the most exciting moments of that game for yourself, and probably all of them include finding some crazy rare item that had incredible value. Those days are officially gone (to be fair, they were never really a big part of D3).

I quit playing this game maybe a month into release (I've tried it a few times recently) and was looking forward to this patch as a reason to get back in the game but clearly it's just another let down. Apparently the only fix is to reinstall D2 and forget that this game exists.

Does it still require a persistent internet connection for single player?
If the answer is yes, I'm still not buying.
Screw you Blizzard.
I used to love you.

because dammit! none of us have internet everywhere we go!

I found D3 to be easy, boring and predictable and short. I finished the game with weak armors and weapons and not once used the AH. I guess I'll go give this patch a go it might make it worth another play through and try some alternate builds. As for the Reaper of Souls I will wait till it is almost free on steam over Christmas.

I think a blend of Witcher and D3 would rock.

because dammit! none of us have internet everywhere we go!

Exactly!
And some of us live in rural areas with shitty service from Time Warner that's about to get worse since Comcast is buying them out!

Console is Loot 1.8 with some 1.9 features
This 2.0 patch brings PC's up to date with consoles
Grinding for Gear, not the action house, is what made D2 fun.
This makes the game much more fun for 1 person on the PC.
Console has the advantage of being extremely fun for 2 people on the big screen.

Back