Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

There's no way to instantly swap skills, you'll have to take a few seconds in a safe location to do it. With 6 active skills to choose from you should have a good mix of aoe and single target skills to work with.

I played for about 30 min last night. I'm an FPS guy, so my opinion probably doesnt/shouldnt count...
I rate is 7 out of 10 on the meh scale.

This is my favorite part of any beta. Looking for those people who don't understand the beta is not for their enjoyment and whine and complain about how the game isn't online or working or omg a patch already! Cracks me up everytime. :D

This is my favorite part of any beta. Looking for those people who don't understand the beta is not for their enjoyment and whine and complain about how the game isn't online or working or omg a patch already! Cracks me up everytime. :D

Agreed. They expect full games in demos/betas because I guess other games they pirate to "test it out" are the full game.

This is to test out bugs and balancing, not for your enjoyment.

it's like they took diablo 2, updated the graphics and tweaked some non-direct gameplay.

that's not necessarily a knock against it, it's just that well, that was awesome... 10 years ago.

the fact you have to choose between essentially single-target and aoe attacks is interesting, but mildly annoying. I'll likely still get it b/c i want to play with my buds and i've successfully kicked my WoW habit.

I think my beef with this (now that I finally played beta throughout this week) is that instead of everyone donning school uniforms (1.10 RW), the school uniforms are in the skills. I get that they wanted to remove the re-spec/cookie cutter build aspect...so I feel this is probably the compromise. Note I've only put like 4 hours total now in the game, but it's gonna take getting used to.

The defensive buffs being on the 'hot bar' is almost easy-mode rofl, for anyone who is accustomed to using 7-10 hot keys at a time. E.g. on D2, my zon had SM, MA, MS, Strafe, GA, weapon switch, CS, LF, Jab, Decoy, Valk as all active skills/bindings to use. I almost feel bored playing hehe. Then again, tele hybridzons don't have a direct equal in D3 :p

I think my beef with this (now that I finally played beta throughout this week) is that instead of everyone donning school uniforms (1.10 RW), the school uniforms are in the skills. I get that they wanted to remove the re-spec/cookie cutter build aspect...so I feel this is probably the compromise. Note I've only put like 4 hours total now in the game, but it's gonna take getting used to.

The defensive buffs being on the 'hot bar' is almost easy-mode rofl, for anyone who is accustomed to using 7-10 hot keys at a time. E.g. on D2, my zon had SM, MA, MS, Strafe, GA, weapon switch, CS, LF, Jab, Decoy, Valk as all active skills/bindings to use. I almost feel bored playing hehe. Then again, tele hybridzons don't have a direct equal in D3 :p

Well in my opinion, regarding your "cookie cutter" build comment, of course most people are going to be using the same skillsets right now - the level cap is very low. I'm sure at higher levels you'll see some strong differentiation between characters.

And regarding ez moad, yes the defensive skills can help you cruise around like nothing, but again this is low level content on normal difficulty. I'm quite sure that as you progress through the levels and difficulties, those defensive skills will be required just to survive. They'll be needed, rather than just used to trivialize the challenge of killin' and stuff.

My 2 cents

Pretty sad. Outside of gear, there's going to be no difference between your level 40 barbarian and my level 40 barbarian.

Aside from gear what was the difference between your lvl 40 barbarian and mine in Diablo 2?

I am pretty sure everyone who played a Barbarian had a shout, bash, whirlwind or leap.

If you get some time read through this. It will calm your fears.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

There's no way to instantly swap skills, you'll have to take a few seconds in a safe location to do it. With 6 active skills to choose from you should have a good mix of aoe and single target skills to work with.

Ok, found how to enable Elective Mode. That makes things quite a bit better. But the inability to quickly switch skills on the mouse buttons is kind of lame.

Just got my first quest and then I got kicked from the game saying servers are down.

Well I played a Monk and its definitely much more fun. The Wizard class needs some work or at least its just not my play style anymore.

Finally got a solid 15 minutes in a row! Then server crashed again. Hopefully they'll get it working right by release day.

This will likely be the first game I buy for retail price on day 1 in several years.

Well I played a Monk and its definitely much more fun. The Wizard class needs some work or at least its just not my play style anymore.

Same feeling here, caster classes are almost always my first to play but I had more fun with the demon hunter than I did the wizard.

Got my wizard set up, started the game, walked about 3 steps and disconnected. can't log back in now either. God fucking dammit, i want to play this.

The only saving grace is that it's raining here and will continue throughout the day - anything else and I'd feel guilty as hell

Fun game so far. Really no complaints for me. Went through the demo twice with the monk yesterday.

and so the servers are down again :( damn its impossible to get on.. been trying all day almost.. not much gameplay....

And the servers are over cap.

How does Blizzard after decades of knowing with first hand knowledge. Not prepare themselves for an open beta...

They should have an offline mode so that we could at least play single player. I understand the need for anti-piracy but this is frustrating as all hell...

I got a few games in, beat the beta last night, I find the game is decent. Obviously there are performance issues, because its just beta. But it sounds like many patches are ready- as for the korean guy, I hear you guys are doing a seperate beta after our open beta weekend-

Overall I am happy with the game- Runs well to me, seems fun- Definitely happy to see the story continue after so long.

I finished the beta with a barbarian, and was wanting to try witch doctor, but I can't log on. I have been playing a lot of PoE lately, so my first impression was that D3 is zoomed so far out. I wish I could zoom in.

I was finally able to log in and I started a witch doctor. I am really liking this class, very different.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to log on all day. Says the servers are busy.

The game is polished and fun. It does seem to lack some depth, and the console UI is annoying. (not a fan of fonts made for TVs on my 2560x1600)

They should have an offline mode so that we could at least play single player. I understand the need for anti-piracy but this is frustrating as all hell...

Blizzard wants people to discover that "always on" is quite a nuisance. ;)

*sigh*

Never gets into closed betas = check
Always has problems logging in to open betas = check

Lovely...

Servers were flawless last night when I got home, seems I got lucky. Played through it with 4 of the 5 classes... takes like 45 minutes to go through the beta content.

Beta didn't disappoint me, was pretty fun throughout.

I expected much worse graphics based on some of the comments in these threads. Instead what we got was a pretty distinct and unique artstyle. The painted look gives the game an almost surreal or dream-like feeling which I think is pretty appropriate.

What is it with blizzard and shitty graphics, SC2 already looked terrible when it came out and Diablo 3 looks like a piece of shit. Now I will not judge it on the graphics completely since this is just a beta and I am guessing they will be made better. But I've played for about 10 minutes now and am already bored, does it get better?

What is it with blizzard and shitty graphics, SC2 already looked terrible when it came out and Diablo 3 looks like a piece of shit. Now I will not judge it on the graphics completely since this is just a beta and I am guessing they will be made better. But I've played for about 10 minutes now and am already bored, does it get better?

It does not sound like Diablo is for you. Did you ever play D2?

D3 beta, which is about 1/3 of act 1, is not even fair to compare it to D2 because its actually fun and better in almost every regard through the early portion of the game. If you're bored with d3 after only 10 mins, I can only imagine you would last much less in d2 if you have yet to play it.

Move on if a diablo type game isn't for you, but nobody else cares. A Blizzard game has never been about graphics and this has always been the case.

I think it's worth noting that people complained about Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3's "lackluster" graphics back when they were first released as well. Blizzard has never been about cutting edge graphics... so I don't know why everyone seems to forget this.

Beta didn't disappoint me, was pretty fun throughout.

I expected much worse graphics based on some of the comments in these threads. Instead what we got was a pretty distinct and unique artstyle. The painted look gives the game an almost surreal or dream-like feeling which I think is pretty appropriate.

People always over exaggerate. The graphics are pretty nice.

I think it's worth noting that people complained about Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3's "lackluster" graphics back when they were first released as well. Blizzard has never been about cutting edge graphics... so I don't know why everyone seems to forget this.

Yeah, and both those games were enjoyable to us "few" who didn't really give a shit about the gfx and just enjoyed the game for its game play...what a concept.

People always over exaggerate. The graphics are pretty nice.

Yeah, I agree w/ They are fine by me as well

This is not an excuse. My friends and I (five of us) are d2 vets and replayed d2 a bit last night, finishing Act 1. There were a few deaths between us, mainly due to getting trapped and not being able to escape through a door, and also from lightning enchanted mobs. There were also multiple pots spammed throughout the Act by all of us. Granted, it didn't start getting harder until at least half way through Act 1. In Diablo 3, I have beaten the beta with every class and some classes multiple times (due to big patch changes, etc.) and have never had to drink one of those potions that end up in your inventory, on a single character. Like I mentioned though, the difficulty didn't really ramp up until half way through Act 1 in Diablo 2. I hope it is still going to be this way in Diablo 3. Nonetheless, I will be playing a single Softcore character and then moving to Hardcore.

Our experiences seem to conflict with each other. I soloed D2 Act 1 Normal with /players 8 on and spent most of my time holding down the left mouse button on enemies (auto attacking) while pressing 1-4 periodically to regen health. Keep in mind how often your health regens from those health globes, which substitute the old school pots.

But yeah, the best we can do is "wait and see" if it ramps up significantly by the end of D3 Act 1.

I like the game. I am completely new to the Diablo games, so it's all virgin territory to me (closest I have come to D3 is playing Torchlight year ago). I personally liked the game, and I will most likely buy it when it comes out next month. I usually gripe about graphics, but considering that this is a isometric third person game, I don't really have an issue with them. And playing with the ENB mode found in the other thread makes the game look pretty good for me. I am not expecting cutting edge graphics for this type of game, serviceable and good art direction yes, but it doesn't have to be DX11 (although I wouldn't mind at all if it had tesselation or anything of course :p). What I liked about the game was the flow and the gameplay. So far I have only finished the Barbarian line and I loved the smashy smashy. I plan on doing some other classes tomorrow to see the other ways of playing it.

Now, my only concerns are the "endgame" if you will. I know this is but a small part of the game (1/3 of the first act), but once we finish the storyline, are there are things to do in the game? Will there be random dungeons to mess around in? Will there PVP or anything of that sort? I mean, once I finish doing all of the classes through the whole story, is there any replay value or will we have to wait for expansions down the line? Help a Diablo noob out.

Now, my only concerns are the "endgame" if you will. I know this is but a small part of the game (1/3 of the first act), but once we finish the storyline, are there are things to do in the game? Will there be random dungeons to mess around in? Will there PVP or anything of that sort? I mean, once I finish doing all of the classes through the whole story, is there any replay value or will we have to wait for expansions down the line? Help a Diablo noob out.

The end-game will pretty much be about gathering the best loot. After you clear the game on Normal, you step it up to Nightmare, Hell and Inferno. Inferno is intended to be for max level players. If what Blizzard said is true, its difficulty is high enough that you might have to spend time farming for items in Hell to survive Inferno.

For me, the animations are smooth, I can run AA for smooth edges, visual and spell effects are good without completely cluttering the screen, and the general visuals of the game give a decent sense of atmosphere while keeping the framerate constantly high. That's pretty much all I want out of a game that I'm playing for the game. It's the same reason Valve's games don't bother me: I'm not playing them for a tech demo, I'm playing them for a game.

As it turns out, I still play almost every Valve and Blizzard game I own and I haven't played Crysis in 4 years. So in short, fuck graphics and stop whining about them in this kind of game.

If the graphics were any better, the system requirements would need to be higher. This would mean not as many people would get to experience the brilliant Auction House...

I'm not finding the theme to be terribly serious. No sense of dread. It is, however, pretty fun.

Back