Diablo III Open Beta Weekend

Was the auction house "live" during the open beta?
Is it just a repository for ridiculously over powered items that you buy with real money?
I mean, if its just there and really has nothing to do with the real game, thats cool. I mean, I'm trying to find out whats its purpose, because it doesn't seem like a DLC/nickel and diming type of market.
Then again I could be completely wrong....

Yeah it was live, at least for the closed beta testers, not sure about open beta for the RMAH. I had 50 beta bucks in the RMAH account though (I'm in closed beta). Regular gold one was there too

Is it just a repository for ridiculously over powered items that you buy with real money?
I mean, if its just there and really has nothing to do with the real game, thats cool. I mean, I'm trying to find out whats its purpose, because it doesn't seem like a DLC/nickel and diming type of market.

I don't think it was in the beta (or I don't remember seeing it rather), but I imagine it will be much like the WoW AH.

Actually I know the AH was live for open beta users too as my friend commented about it - but he didn't mention RMAH vs Gold though.

It's only accessible from the char select screen... bottom right button I believe.

does it currently work like that? I only played through the open beta once on wizard, but i didn't notice weapon speeds. If they tied in weapon speed to spellcasting speed, that would make for some more interesting decisions.

It definitely does (I just checked).

It's completely player-driven like any other game, so there's no infinite supply of overpowered items for everyone to buy. That's not to say that they will never start adding their own stuff later on, let's just hope that won't ever happen.

Yeah, thats where I saw it, didnt click on it though.
But, what the whole point of it? Its not a trading hut or is it? Is it just randomly generated overpowered items up for auction? As of right now it just seems like something I will never use.

Yeah, thats where I saw it, didnt click on it though.
But, what the whole point of it? Its not a trading hut or is it? Is it just randomly generated overpowered items up for auction? As of right now it just seems like something I will never use.

All items AND GOLD that are for sale on the gold AH and the real money AH are put there by other players. Blizzard will not put up items and they have said multiple times that they have no plans to put up items.

All items AND GOLD that are for sale on the gold AH and the real money AH are put there by other players. Blizzard will not put up items and they have said multiple times that they have no plans to put up items.

OK, that actually sounds pretty cool. Maybe I will use it. So items found in your various games can be put up for everyone to buy and vice versa. I have a feeling this will be addictive.

I was excited but this damn game took all weekend to download and finished after the trial was over. Guess I will have to wait for the launch.

After getting some time in playing the beta, I went from being on the fence to getting D3 to pre-ordering it and taking a day off of work so I can catch up to my other friends who already have a whole week off. However, a couple of things....

After playing the beta and experiencing a very small portion of the game, you can very obviously tell this game is "simplified" in many ways over D2. Blizzard had to make the game more accessible to the console crowd and Bobby Kotick wasn't going to let all of the money to be made off of consoles go to waste. Console money combined with the RMAH means profits galore. Customization is certainly just as much of a part of D3 as it was in D2, just very different. Making it so all you have to think about is the gear your wearing with big, easy to read numbers so you don't have to think very hard about what an "upgrade" is going to be. Basing damage done off of weapon damage means there is no complicated math or secret formula to figure out DPS when it's all laid out in front of you. The last minute changes to the skill/rune system was made to make it easy to pick how you wanted to play. You don't have to respec or level a whole new character. Just pick something different and off you go - very casual, very easy to pick up and play. These are just a few examples, but again, they had to make it accessible to a wide variety of people.

When it's all said and done, it works, it's still fun and I'll still be playing on launch day. If consoles weren't in the equation, I feel we'd have a better game than what is currently D3. But just about any game you can say that about these days.

Regarding actual gameplay, as soon as classes were announced, I chose wizard for my main. All of my beta time was spent playing the wizard and I only made it up to level 12. I had a 13 DPS rare mace that had +int and my overall int was about 45. When playing in a party of 4 with a WD, monk, and barb, my wizard felt very, very underpowered. By the time any of my spells hit, the mobs were already dead due to the monk and barb completely destroying everything. My primary spells were the shock pulse and arcane orb. If I got all up in the action on the frontlines, I felt I was helping out but standing in back casting arcane orb was next to useless because it's so slow. Sure, I could lash out with the frost ray but that's only good for single target DPS. Playing solo, I felt just fine and I was pleased with the wizards performance. I'm only hoping he gets more powerful by endgame, especially when in a party.

Regarding actual gameplay, as soon as classes were announced, I chose wizard for my main. All of my beta time was spent playing the wizard and I only made it up to level 12. I had a 13 DPS rare mace that had +int and my overall int was about 45. When playing in a party of 4 with a WD, monk, and barb, my wizard felt very, very underpowered. By the time any of my spells hit, the mobs were already dead due to the monk and barb completely destroying everything. My primary spells were the shock pulse and arcane orb. If I got all up in the action on the frontlines, I felt I was helping out but standing in back casting arcane orb was next to useless because it's so slow. Sure, I could lash out with the frost ray but that's only good for single target DPS. Playing solo, I felt just fine and I was pleased with the wizards performance. I'm only hoping he gets more powerful by endgame, especially when in a party.

I agree with your comments here about the wizard and I mostly attributed it to the fact that by the time you have a couple cool spells and some good damage on the wizard - the mobs are way under-level to you since you've already hit 8-9 and your going through the play through again (or SK runs) to reach 10+. At that point it's easy to two shot or one shot most mobs with any class and the monk/barb have good movement abilities, esp the monk... so they get in close very quickly and everything dies. It'll be much different on live when mobs are equal level or higher and then even better on the harder difficulties.

I was much more effective as a Monk compared to Barb, not sure if I attribute that to my playstyle, or perhaps Monk is just OP.

Either way, Monk will be my starting class on release.

You know what the worst thing about all this is?

I have to wait until May 15th to play more Diablo 3.

I played all 5 classes through the beta. The monk has by far the highest dps right now (assuming everyone has average gear). I felt the demon hunter fit my style the best.

Playing with others and seeing your skills not dominating is a common placebo. The wizard is not lower in dps than the other classes (except the monk who IMO is on another level than everyone else, at least in the 1-12 level range).

I was much more effective as a Monk compared to Barb, not sure if I attribute that to my playstyle, or perhaps Monk is just OP.

Either way, Monk will be my starting class on release.

I found the same thing.. Monk, to me, felt like the strongest class from the beta. Very fun to play also. First playthrough will be a monk, then Barb, then Witch Doc, then DH and Wiz.

Of course, as Intel_Hydralisk mentioned, the tides could turn at higher levels.

I found the same thing.. Monk, to me, felt like the strongest class from the beta. Very fun to play also. First playthrough will be a monk, then Barb, then Witch Doc, then DH and Wiz.

Of course, as Intel_Hydralisk mentioned, the tides could turn at higher levels.

I did also find the WD with swarms to be quite effective, but you can't be reckless, like the Monk.

I did also find the WD with swarms to be quite effective, but you can't be reckless, like the Monk.

Definitely.. The Witch Doc is very fun to play.

I've always had a penchant toward the hands-on melee fighters in ARPGs, so Monk fits my playstyle perfectly.

I found myself criticizing the game and enjoying it, but not loving it while playing it. Now that the beta is over, I need to play more.

Really enjoyed playing a wizard this weekend, especially so the more I leveled up.

I have a feeling there is a lot more to the game than what the beta showed. Went ahead and pre-ordered a collectors edition at a local Best Buy for release day pick up.

Hope I'm not wrong!

So, when game is officially released, im stuck between Monk and Demon Huntress for sure now.

BTW, this open beta weekend, only made me finish paying for my collectors ED pre-order.

I had a blast playing the open beta weekend content. It took some work finding the time... I can't wait for the release.

I felt the same way. When soloing with the Wizard it felt like a chore to play. When partying with three other players I felt useless. When soloing with my Monk I had a lot of fun. When I partied with three other players I felt part of bulldozer of destruction. The Wizard really needs some work. The starting skills are really boring an anemic. The Monk feels badass from level 1.

I still can't decide what to play first on release. I think I had the most fun with barb though... dat leap is op - let's you cross gullies, jump down ledges/staircase, etc

Monk was crazy fun too teleporting fists and dashing strike is total movement dominance. Didn't really get any movement spells on the wizard that I remember - need to look further in each of the classes skill trees.

I'm sure enjoying all the positives in the D3 threads now after open beta - before it was muddled with a bunch of whiners. :D

I felt the same way. When soloing with the Wizard it felt like a chore to play. When partying with three other players I felt useless. When soloing with my Monk I had a lot of fun. When I partied with three other players I felt part of bulldozer of destruction. The Wizard really needs some work. The starting skills are really boring an anemic. The Monk feels badass from level 1.

You really need to upgrade your weapon then... the Wizard has pretty high dps output provided you don't run around with the starter wand. Keep in mind you can use just about any weapon.

A couple of patches ago they had different spells for the wizard to start out with and they felt fairly overpowered. There was a signature spell call Electrocute (I think) that would just destroy everything, plus another one like ray of frost but a lot more powerful. They switched them around so you get them later in the game now. Also, you have to remember that by level 8 or 9 you have out leveled the content in the beta. In the actual game you will be fighting harder monsters by level 12 so they will take longer to kill.

You really need to upgrade your weapon then... the Wizard has pretty high dps output provided you don't run around with the starter wand. Keep in mind you can use just about any weapon.

QFT

At first I felt completely useless, but after I found a better wand I was decimating - I wasn't having as much fun as I did as the Barbarian (the exploding upon death rune makes melee hilariously awesome), but I was definitely as powerful.

This game needs to come out NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

plus another one like ray of frost but a lot more powerful.

I think it's called disintegrate - a friend of mine in the closed beta was talking about it, apparently it goes through an infinite number of enemies and demolishes shit.

Fucking hell I am going to go broke buying all these games. Mount and Blade + Napoleon DLC, GW2 preorder, Diablo 3......damn you game gods, damn you!

Fucking hell I am going to go broke buying all these games. Mount and Blade + Napoleon DLC, GW2 preorder, Diablo 3......damn you game gods, damn you!

Just wait for the steam sale in the summer all your moneys to valve :D

Wait a second, there's a new M&B coming? Ah nvm, just a content pack. Shame, i can't wait for M&B 2, whenever it comes. Their engine is feeling really old nowadays.

Last edited:
I put an order in earlier to get the collector's edition of D3. Hope they actually get enough stock.

I enjoyed it. Friday it was lagging real bad for me. Saturday and Sunday it ran fine. I killed the Skeleton King with the wizard, monk and demon hunter. I think I will start with the demon hunter when released.

I put an order in earlier to get the collector's edition of D3. Hope they actually get enough stock.

There's a collector's? Hm. I'm just using my WoW Annual Pass to get a "free" copy of the game.

What comes with it?

I don't play WoW but that is a pretty sick deal for those of you that do.

Here's the incredible kicker: I don't either. But it runs out in a few months (the pass). I played up until a month ago, and figured I'd just let it go so I can get my Diablo 3 copy. I don't want to cancel it and have my BNet account not eligible for future beta's or anything like that. Heard some funky stuff after cancellations happened (if they even let you cancel).

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't purchase through Amazon, but it's easier to just provide a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Co...ZC5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335299805&sr=8-2

For some reason I really dig art books of games. I love seeing concept art and drawings.

I got the Skyrim Collector's for my GF and the art book is pretty cool.

I had the collector's for Warcraft 3, the big black box. I remember the hours of oogling I had when I got that, at all the drawings and listening to the soundtrack when I got that game. Took a full solid day or two of just looking at the extras before I actually played the game. Nowadays, no one does that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back