Diablo III is getting killed on Metacritic

Got my refund today (after my ticket was open for almost five days)! Going to reinvest the money in a developer that cares.

Got my refund today (after my ticket was open for almost five days)! Going to reinvest the money in a developer that cares.

How much time do we have to do this? Sounds like everyone could get their fill of this simple game and get a refund, making it F2P!

How much time do we have to do this? Sounds like everyone could get their fill of this simple game and get a refund, making it F2P!

Here's my story:
Played the day after release for a couple hours, servers went down.

Played on Saturday for a couple hours, kept getting weird server glitches that forced me and the friend I was playing with to quit for the night.

In all, I played the game for less than five hours, maybe four, because both sessions where dominated by Blizzard's server issues. I opened my ticket at that point, and did not log in to the game again; I didn't want them thinking I was just some petulant child who whines about service but plays anyway.

I have no idea what their policies are, but I imagine someone that logs 100+ hours then demands a refund might not have as good of a case for a refund, but my 4-5 hours were a good indicator that I was not a person who will wait an indefinite time for them to get their shit together, especially after paying a premium price for a game.

I expect a $60 game to be more polished than some $10 indie title. As much as I've disagreed with Jim Sterling in the past, I think his video about gamer "entitlement" (a word nobody seems to know the meaning of anymore) is spot-on.

Last edited:
Here's my story:
Played the day after release for a couple hours, servers went down.

Played on Saturday for a couple hours, kept getting weird server glitches that forced me and the friend I was playing with to quit for the night.

In all, I played the game for less than five hours, maybe four, because both sessions where dominated by Blizzard's server issues. I opened my ticket at that point, and did not log in to the game again; I didn't want them thinking I was just some petulant child who whines about service but plays anyway.

I have no idea what their policies are, but I imagine someone that logs 100+ hours then demands a refund might not have as good of a case for a refund, but my 4-5 hours were a good indicator that I was not a person who will wait an indefinite time for them to get their shit together, especially after paying a premium price for a game.

I expect a $60 game to be more polished than some $10 indie title. As much as I've disagreed with Jim Sterling in the past, I think his video about gamer "entitlement" (a word nobody seems to know the meaning of anymore) is spot-on.

$60 is not a lot of money, tbh.

Thats what im thinking. $60 for some crappy console port single player i can understand complaints but if you like the game at all you can easily get $60 worth from it and then some.

Last time i took the wife out for dinner and a movie it cost almost double that so $60 is not bad.

Also as to his comment D3 is one of the most polished games i have seen in quite a while 99% of the issues revolve around the DRM/login crap. Now that thats all ironed out its a ton of fun.

Thats what im thinking. $60 for some crappy console port single player i can understand complaints but if you like the game at all you can easily get $60 worth from it and then some.

Last time i took the wife out for dinner and a movie it cost almost double that so $60 is not bad.

Also as to his comment D3 is one of the most polished games i have seen in quite a while 99% of the issues revolve around the DRM/login crap. Now that thats all ironed out its a ton of fun.

It's not ironed out, nor will it be for a LONG, LONG, painful time.

What about all the itemization being crap, loot in general being crap, melee being useless? Not as important.

Polished games were Batman Arkham Asylum/City, even Dead Space. Hell, Oblivion was more polished.

If you paid $60 for a meal and they brought you a $10 pizza, you wouldn't go "oh well, $60 isn't that much money".

This whole thing is a SWTOR repeat. Just like SWTOR, they released the game with outrageously buggy servers and scant content ("Don't worry! They'll patch it! The game is already fun anyway!"). Bioware's (Blizzard's) fans rabidly defend it at every turn, finding every flimsy justification they can think of to declare the game to be the greatest event in history. And just like SWTOR, they'll get sick of it in three or four months, in hindsight wondering why they spent so much time and energy defending a corporation that could never love them back.

To Blizzard fans:
I get it. I understand that you have an emotional attachment to a product and you really want your purchase to be a good one, but that doesn't invalidate the opinions of people who have no sentimental symbiosis with Blizzard.

D3 was really fun for the first playthrough. Don't know how many times it has to be said though, replaying on harder difficulty is NOT extra content. Also D2 took a lot longer to get to max level if I remember correctly. 60 is do-able in 1 day in D3. Then what? Farm items. Yes it's online only but it's still a single player game mentality for sure. It's worth a playthrough though, I enjoyed it. I'm playing through Nightmare but I have a hard time believing I'll do a full Hell and Inferno playthrough as well. My attention span just isn't good enough for it. MP3 will be out next week and I'm hoping I'll have a lot more fun in it's online play.

If you paid $60 for a meal and they brought you a $10 pizza, you wouldn't go "oh well, $60 isn't that much money".

This whole thing is a SWTOR repeat. Just like SWTOR, they released the game with outrageously buggy servers and scant content ("Don't worry! They'll patch it! The game is already fun anyway!"). Bioware's (Blizzard's) fans rabidly defend it at every turn, finding every flimsy justification they can think of to declare the game to be the greatest event in history. And just like SWTOR, they'll get sick of it in three or four months, in hindsight wondering why they spent so much time and energy defending a corporation that could never love them back.

To Blizzard fans:
I get it. I understand that you have an emotional attachment to a product and you really want your purchase to be a good one, but that doesn't invalidate the opinions of people who have no sentimental symbiosis with Blizzard.

This guy, he's got it.

D3 was really fun for the first playthrough. Don't know how many times it has to be said though, replaying on harder difficulty is NOT extra content. Also D2 took a lot longer to get to max level if I remember correctly. 60 is do-able in 1 day in D3. Then what? Farm items. Yes it's online only but it's still a single player game mentality for sure. It's worth a playthrough though, I enjoyed it. I'm playing through Nightmare but I have a hard time believing I'll do a full Hell and Inferno playthrough as well. My attention span just isn't good enough for it. MP3 will be out next week and I'm hoping I'll have a lot more fun in it's online play.

Replaying on harder difficulty is a staple of the diablo series. If you expected 3 to be different you where fooling yourself.

Why is it if you defend something you're instantly labeled as a fanboy and have an emotional attachment? I think those with the emotional attachment issues are the ones ranting and raving like bitches over a game most of them have never even played.

Piss and moan all you want but its pretty fucking hard to find more fun for $60 than D3. All the bitching and whining about DRM and everything else about it dont change that. The fact that its the fastest selling PC game of all time now should tell you that much at least. :rolleyes: So keep crying and whining and bashing those of us that like it we will be too busy having FUN to give a fuck.

Remember FUN? That thing you used to have before deciding games where more about political and ideological statements than playing?

Buy it or dont nobody cares but if you're not going to buy it lay off those who did. Voting with your wallet dont require you to run your mouths all day long about a game you have not even played.

It's not ironed out, nor will it be for a LONG, LONG, painful time.

What about all the itemization being crap, loot in general being crap, melee being useless? Not as important.

Polished games were Batman Arkham Asylum/City, even Dead Space. Hell, Oblivion was more polished.

I thought you were a major fan, or am I remembering wrong?

Of course I'm a fan still. I'm still playing it aren't I (I am, and plan to). But it doesn't take a genius to see there's a ton of issues. I'm a fan of German cars. Do they break down? HELL TO THE YES. I'll still keep throwing money at the dealer. I'll also buy the next model.

Replaying on harder difficulty is a staple of the diablo series. If you expected 3 to be different you where fooling yourself.

Why is it if you defend something you're instantly labeled as a fanboy and have an emotional attachment? I think those with the emotional attachment issues are the ones ranting and raving like bitches over a game most of them have never even played.

Piss and moan all you want but its pretty fucking hard to find more fun for $60 than D3. All the bitching and whining about DRM and everything else about it dont change that. The fact that its the fastest selling PC game of all time now should tell you that much at least. :rolleyes: So keep crying and whining and bashing those of us that like it we will be too busy having FUN to give a fuck.

Remember FUN? That thing you used to have before deciding games where more about political and ideological statements than playing?

Buy it or dont nobody cares but if you're not going to buy it lay off those who did. Voting with your wallet dont require you to run your mouths all day long about a game you have not even played.

The post you're quoting really isn't laying into fans, at all. It seems more like you're bashing those with different opnions, rather than the other way around.

Having said that, I've played it and it falls short in several areas. The story itself, especially the last 2 acts, had me a bit miffed that I dropped $65 for it. My issues with the game have nothing to do with politics or ideology. There are issues that detract from the FUN.

You are making a lot of assumptions there, chief.

I too was a major fan. You get done with a normal playthrough and all it's problems come into focus. Same thing happened with Skyrim, for me. I still enjoy both games, but the "honeymoon" effect wore off REALLY quickly with D3.

Of course I'm a fan still. I'm still playing it aren't I (I am, and plan to). But it doesn't take a genius to see there's a ton of issues. I'm a fan of German cars. Do they break down? HELL TO THE YES. I'll still keep throwing money at the dealer. I'll also buy the next model.

Fair enough, just thought I'd check. I'm also a fan, but I think this is Blizzards weakest release ever. I didn't play Starcraft II though.

Okay I agree with some of what you are saying but there are plenty of things more fun for $60 than D3. Skyrim, more fun. BF3, more fun. Batman Arkam City, more fun. SC2, more fun. Portal 2, more fun. etc. D3 being the best selling game of all time is meaningless if most of purchases were knee jerk nostalgia seeking buyers. Do you consider CoD hands down the greatest thing ever because it sells a billion copies? No. That is not an argument for a good game. As I said in the other thread, D3 is mediocre. Mediocre games are SAFE and they sell tons of copies. Does that make it a 9/10 game? No.

The game has its moments but it feels sloppy. I am glad you enjoy the game but for me it was not as good as other games I have played and not engaging enough that I simply got a refund for it. I love Diablo 2 but I feel like D3 was a sophomoric attempt to revitalize the Diablo franchise. It didn't work for me but for many it did. I sort of understand how someone could like it but I don't fully understand how people can say it is a GREAT game. It just fell short and is an overall disappointment.

I too was a major fan. You get done with a normal playthrough and all it's problems come into focus. Same thing happened with Skyrim, for me. I still enjoy both games, but the "honeymoon" effect wore off REALLY quickly with D3.

Sadly for me, I saw all the issues as they popped up. There was no honeymoon.

But, I have a couple close friends who are really into it. Rolling around in a group can be pretty enjoyable.

So, im in the middle of act 3. The story and voice acting has taken a nose dive. The plot feels so rushed at this point. The lag doesn't help either. I'll finish D3 for sure, but I couldn't tell someone it's a worthy sequel with a straight face.

Ya, I call this Diablo 2.5 now.
The story line is very sub par, the cinematics are cool. But no individual character stories etc.

The AI is brutally bad, pretty much "HULK SMASH!" type attitude, I expect if I throw up Rain of Arrows a boss would GTFO of there etc. Really wish there was more world interaction, such as the walls you knock down, why aren't there any boss fights where you have to use the world to hurt them etc. I would have loved to of played with my friends and we had to figure out weakspots, shadow of the colosuss was amazing for the fights.

Trying to not spoil anything, when you get there tell me if Diablo reminds you of the movie "Aliens".

Diablo 1 & 2 bosses were way cooler IMO, Belial and the Butcher were cool, I really liked the Butcher actually, nice world hazards etc.

D2's bosses were cooler? I thought they were all pretty lacklustre, excepting maybe diablo. D3's bosses have more varied abilities, IMO

Ya, I call this Diablo 2.5 now.
The story line is very sub par, the cinematics are cool. But no individual character stories etc.

The AI is brutally bad, pretty much "HULK SMASH!" type attitude, I expect if I throw up Rain of Arrows a boss would GTFO of there etc. Really wish there was more world interaction, such as the walls you knock down, why aren't there any boss fights where you have to use the world to hurt them etc. I would have loved to of played with my friends and we had to figure out weakspots, shadow of the colosuss was amazing for the fights.

Trying to not spoil anything, when you get there tell me if Diablo reminds you of the movie "Aliens".

Diablo 1 & 2 bosses were way cooler IMO, Belial and the Butcher were cool, I really liked the Butcher actually, nice world hazards etc.

Diablo games have never been about individual characters story lines. More or the less the issue with the story is the fact that it never ties in with Diablo 2, like Diablo 1 did.

D3 is the only game that I regret buying within the past year. Even Guild Wars 1 (a 7 year old game) is a much, much better and diversified game than Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is all about killing stuff for loots and running through things. At least in Guild Wars you could do that, go back to town where there were hundreds of players and go on other 8 man runs and do all kinds of stuff. Diablo 3 feels ancient in retrospect.

Are you aware that Guild Wars and Diablo 3 are completely different genres?

Diablo games have never been about individual characters story lines. More or the less the issue with the story is the fact that it never ties in with Diablo 2, like Diablo 1 did.

Diablo was excellent about stories of other characters.... (i.e. not you and not your party). Their lore was pretty rich. First time playing through each was quite an experience.

That's my complaint, why does the Demon Hunter hate all things evil etc, did he wake up one morning and decided he REALLY hate quill fiends? And different character story lines would add more replay value etc. With the amount of time it was in development I was expecting a LOT more.

All they did was change the way skills are done and merge some classes

I'm going to stick with my "AI" sucks remark, Act 3 final boss is just stupid and stands there taking a beating.

Side note; what really chokes me is that awesome video they showed with "smasher" in the graveyard that picked up a character and bit his head off etc...but that was too much work to add in, nice excuse on Blizzards behalf.

I'm disappointed as well, but you know you would play D2 with updated graphics if it was just redone...

Side note; what really chokes me is that awesome video they showed with "smasher" in the graveyard that picked up a character and bit his head off etc...but that was too much work to add in, nice excuse on Blizzards behalf.

I remember seeing that, yet haven't run across it in game yet. Where's that at?

Can't wait for this work day to be over so I can play this game all evening!! Best game I bought since MW3!

Seriously. That preview video was one of the main reasons I actually wanted the game. Not to mention the environment it was set it looked more interesting than 99% of what actually made it into the game.

D3 is on track to be the best selling PC game of all time with 3.5 million in the first day. Do they even touch 2 million without their DRM? I don't think so. If anyone has day one sales figures on non MMO PC games would love to hear what is in second place.

I remember seeing that, yet haven't run across it in game yet. Where's that at?

It's not in game, they said it was too much work to do that kind of stuff and removed it.

That's right, no bosses picking you up and biting your head off.

No boss weak spots/Specific tactics to beat them, such as luring them to world hazards etc, it's just beat the snot out of them.

It's not in game, they said it was too much work to do that kind of stuff and removed it.

That's right, no bosses picking you up and biting your head off.

No boss weak spots/Specific tactics to beat them, such as luring them to world hazards etc, it's just beat the snot out of them.

Well poop.

The Metacritic score is exactly how I would rate it.

This is what happens when a developer builds game around a greedy money gimmick(AKA auction house). 2 years from now no one will be playing it. An MMO like WOW would be a great place for a real money auction house. An action RPG single player game doesn't need it. Building the entire game around it was the worst thing they ever could have done. It made it have to have an always on connection which is the dumbest idea for this type of game. They built the skill system around having the runes be loot drops to be sold on the RMAH but everyone complained in beta and they added them to the skill system while leveling so now we have a retarded skill system. The attribute system is lame and boring, max main stat and vitality with all your gear and other bonus like attack speed a plus. The new gem system is lame, It should have been exactly like diablo2's but that would have meant they needed to have a more complex defense/resistance system. Defense and resistances are just about worthless. And last but not least the content is half that of diablo2.

The only thing this game has going for it is the crafting systems.

My brother in law let me use his account while he is gone on vacation hoping i would like it and play with him like I did with diablo2. My answer was "no, I will not be buying it".

Torchlight 2 will be a more robust game in all ways. Sadly it won't be in the diablo universe with the dark, gloomy, and gothic feel but then Diablo3 doesn't really deliver there either.

So what you're saying is that you cannot control yourself when it comes to cheats so you play online so you cannot cheat? And you could have the best internet in the world and still not connect to the servers right now.

Fanboy.

Name calling? Keeping it classy I see. ;)

This is what happens when a developer builds game around a greedy money gimmick(AKA auction house). 2 years from now no one will be playing it. An MMO like WOW would be a great place for a real money auction house. An action RPG single player game doesn't need it.

Um, really? Did you ever see the prices 3rd party sites were able to charge for gear? We're talking about $300-$600 for a Windforce at one time, and rare bows with amazing stats could also approach the hundreds of dollars. SOJs, etc.

The money was so compelling that a friend and I actually drafted up a business plan - running multiple instances of D2 on several PCs (there was a tool for this) and botting. Sleazy, I'm sorry to say, but the money was there. However with some job changes and other stuff going on, it never came to fruition. But to say that it is a "gimmick" is only because you haven't utilized something like that in the past; there is a huge amount of demand for one and by bringing it into the game Blizzard is better able to control it.

It's like drugs, if you make it illegal only the bad people make money off of it. ;)

I have about 12 friends that I see on my buddy list every night playing this game - all of them played D2 pretty religiously and all love D3, including me. I think people complaining on the forums are the minority. Blizzard has fantastic post release support so the game will only improve.

Back