Diablo III is getting killed on Metacritic

I honestly thought offline D2 was a waste of time and couldn't care less that there's no SP mode. The closed nature of the B.Net realms were what kept me interested since they fostered a community, economy, etc.

As for defending their launch debacle...it doesn't bother me. Why? Because, in the grand scheme of things, if the game is good we'll all be playing it for years so who fucking cares if we can't get online on DAY 1 for a chunk of hours after waiting 11 years for a sequel? I sure don't, but then, I expected this and wasn't foolish enough to book a vacation day for the launch.

The people confusing this server-side game with always-online DRM similar to that of Assassin's Creed just have no idea what the hell they're talking about. It's not "always online single player mode DRM", it's a multiplayer game that you can choose to play by yourself. Don't have an internet connection? Sorry, D3 isn't for you. Servers are down? Them's the breaks, just like it was back during D2 for me.

This. +1

I know people will kick D3's ass over some basic graphics, voice acting and so on, but it's Diablo. Diablo II wasn't a 180 degrees turn from Diablo I.

Also, I believe the game industry (Blizzard in this case) actually chose to do things like this because it works. Countless Call of Duty versions being only the same FPS in different environments, with some little changes here and here, still raked in lots of money. Diablo III will be a commercial success because it will be played for a long time, and it is still a Diablo game. You don't like it? Don't play it. You don't like being on the Internet all the time? I believe you already ARE on the Internet all the time, only for other reasons than playing the game. Get over it, plz.

I'm quite aware of this. Buying items in D2 was actually very prevelant as were hacked items and duping. The difference is Blizzard is now saying to the community that it's OK to sell your items for real money instead of it being against the EULA or TOS. This is the first game I've seen where the company endorses their playerbase selling items for RM. It sets a bad precedant for future games.

I don't know about you but I don't want my video game economy to interfere with my gameplay. And don't just tell me "if you don't like it don't spend your money" because I won't. The problem is other people will and then it turns into a "pay-to-win" type gameplay for pvp.

You are right though, it was a smart move on Blizzards part because now they are gonna make a ton more money from there 1$ per trade fee. It would also be a smart move to make marijuana and hookers legal so the goverment can tax them, but would it really be a good idea? (Arguable but not in this thread, only using as an example)

I know it's been argued to death eleventy billion times already, but I really, REALLY just do not understand people's gripes with the RMAH? People need to understand that in any online game that has the ability to trade assets between players, that there will ALWAYS be some sort of RMT transactions occurring. It's a simple fact of the massive online gaming world, and there is no escaping it. None. It's not going away. Accept it and move on.

Know what the most annoying thing is any online game that allows such trading? Having to put up with the constant bombardment of in-game advertisements from other "players" that are nothing more but bots trying to get you to go to buy crap from their shitty, sketchy, gold-for-sale website that will probaly end up injecting a key-logger onto the PC of anyone stupid enough to be doing business with this scum in the first place.

With Diablo 3, Blizzard started a brilliant (yes, BRILLIANT!) trend to bring those RMT transactions under a sanctioned umbrella. Let's take a look at the pros here:

1. Zero need for anyone to go outside of the D3 RMAH for their RMT needs.
2. Legitimate players can now make a few bucks for themselves if they choose to
3. Acitivsion gets a chunk of the change from every RMT transaction

Game, set, match. I see nothing but good things from the RMAH, and absolutely ZERO negatives, since it's all completely optional. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. Just like you don't have to go to any old chinese gold farming site and buy crap from them (and probably get virtual-herpes in the process). That's it. Period. All there is to it.

And the whole "D3 turns into a pay-to-win" argument with the RMAH? Um, again, the RMAH has absolutely nothing to do with this. People who wish to buy their items instead of finding them in-game are going to seek out the RMT method of obtaining them regardless of where they go to obtain them. And this isn't like some free-to-play MMO where the best items are available to you ONLY by way of mirco-transactions. Every item on the RMAH will be available to be found in game by any other player. The RMAH just swings the time-versus-money scale towards the money side for those that care to use it.

In regards to the graphics; yeah, the textures aren't all that great. But where you really see the improvement is the animations; much, much better than they could have been back in the day. We're used to it at this point, but if you take a step back and pay attention to them for a minute it's quite apparent how much more fluid and lifelike it is.

The environments are excellent (in regards to interactivity; the physics are wonderful) but I really would have liked to see better lighting textures and character models. It doesn't make the game less fun, but it sticks out to me. The game just looks dated.

In regards to the graphics; yeah, the textures aren't all that great. But where you really see the improvement is the animations; much, much better than they could have been back in the day. We're used to it at this point, but if you take a step back and pay attention to them for a minute it's quite apparent how much more fluid and lifelike it is.

Well "back in the day" it was 2D sprites. :p

Well "back in the day" it was 2D sprites. :p

True that. :) I definitely would have liked to see better textures; even just faking it and making the character creation screen it's own model would have impressed me more. The extremely bland and low-res face on each toon is pretty jarring for 2012.

Diablo 3 isn't even made by the same people that made Diablo 1 and 2. Blizzard North shut down, Diablo 3 was developed by Activision and the creators of World of Warcraft. They successfully created a brainless teen game with the Diablo name and story. If you were a Diablo addict looking for that thrill again, it's not Diablo 3. Look up some of the "Diablo clones". - Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2...

Torchlight 2 while being more cartoonish than Diablo 3, it is actually made by the developers of Diablo 1 and 2. Check out Runic Games. You can now prepurchase for $20!

Path of Exile for many captures the thrill that you felt playing Diablo 1 and 2. It also has updated realistic graphics, not the drawn artsy graphics we see in Diablo 3. These realistic graphics really help you feel submerged in the game. Path of Exile Open Beta is expected to begin in June, however you can buy into the Beta right now for $10.

Grim Dawn is another ARPG to look forward to. Created by 2 of the lead developers for Titans Quest. They currently have a KickStarter going where you can prepurchase the game for $18 or pay a little more and prepurchase alpha/beta access. This game looks really promising. No DRM, offline, or co-op. Check it out.

If you were addicted to Diablo 1 or 2, or both, Diablo 3 probably doesn't do it for you. But Blizzard and Activision don't care. They think you'll buy Diablo 3 just because it is "Diablo", so they're basically saying "**** you, you're already sold, lets focus on everyone else and dumb down an already simple game, lets remove consequences, lets make this game attractive to the WoW crowd."

Anyways, if you don't agree with my ranting, that's fine. If you actually like Diablo 3, good. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just not true to it's predecessors, not true to what made Diablo such a great game. Don't forget, there will be no PVP at launch, and after there will only be Arena PVP - lol. Also there is no longer 8 person co-op, only 4 person co-op.

The game is clearly designed to be console friendly, after all where can Activision make the most money? It hasn't been announced, but it's clear as day. Why do you think you no longer add stats or why skills can be changed anytime. No consequences for your decisions takes the fun out of the game. I played Diablo 2 for years, not just for the loot, but for creating the perfect character, and being able to PVP randomly with a friend who you were just playing co-op with. Remember, screw the quest, lets fight.

I'm not looking for Diablo 2.5, I'm looking for Diablo 3. This game they made should have used a new story and called it Demon Slayer or something. I would not have been expecting Diablo. I mean look at the changes from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2. They were huge, yet most fans of Diablo 1 welcomed the changes as they didn't destroy what Diablo 1 was, they expanded upon the game. Diablo 3 is an entirely new game, yes it's still a hack and slash, but it's really not "Diablo". /End

The only argument i'm seeing against Diablo 3 not playing the same is that there are no consequences for your choices. So basically you like having everything locked in with no changes and having to play through each act with those mistakes to get to respec. Not to mention stats, stats are such a terrible argument. Most of the time its just a waste of time, you max your main stat while making vitality just high enough so you don't get 2 shot. Also creating the perfect character? In an ARGP, kinda hilarious. Its easy enough to just look online within 48 hours to find the best build for everything, this was true of Diablo 2 as well. Also in the beginning of Diablo 2 you couldn't respec, so this person is at ends with themselve. They want to create the best character, but don't want to respec, instead everytime they want to recreate their character. Well that seems so productive, I've leveled to 55 but damn, I screwed up the first skill point, can't make my character better since I can't change anything about him. Lets recreate a character. Thats not compelling gameplay, that's entirely just a waste of time.

Most of the stuff I've seen people get mad about were just time sinks and worthless features. Stats are a waste of time, like I said before you put all your points into your main stat and some into vitality. Talents are a waste of time, you just go and respec in Diablo 2 now, and before you just had to recreate a character because you screwed up. There really isn't much to it, and if you screw up you have to play with it just because you misclicked. Much of what I'm seeing here is that people don't care for it being hard, they just miss the time sinks in the game. Which I guess is fine if that's what you like but I wouldn't say it makes the game play worse.

Phantom Menace? That movie is terrible and obviously for children while not staying true to the star wars universe. The amount of terrible acting and terrible story telling combined with Jar Jar, I can see that most people could just not like Diablo 3, but putting it on the same level as the Phantom Menace is just... stupid. Its putting on rose colored glasses while remembering Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was riddled with people buying items with real money and spammers as well. Not to mention dupes and several other exploits. Diablo 3 stays pretty much within the Diablo universe in terms of story and has breathtaking cinematics as well as hack and slash gameplay without the time sinks. The graphics i can say cool, if you don't like them, its an artistic choice but comparing it to the Phantom Menace of video games is ridiculous.

I liked every Star Wars movie. I also enjoy Diablo 3 very much. Crying about the "old days" is pointless.

The only argument i'm seeing against Diablo 3 not playing the same is that there are no consequences for your choices. So basically you like having everything locked in with no changes and having to play through each act with those mistakes to get to respec. Not to mention stats, stats are such a terrible argument. Most of the time its just a waste of time, you max your main stat while making vitality just high enough so you don't get 2 shot. Also creating the perfect character? In an ARGP, kinda hilarious. Its easy enough to just look online within 48 hours to find the best build for everything, this was true of Diablo 2 as well. Also in the beginning of Diablo 2 you couldn't respec, so this person is at ends with themselve. They want to create the best character, but don't want to respec, instead everytime they want to recreate their character. Well that seems so productive, I've leveled to 55 but damn, I screwed up the first skill point, can't make my character better since I can't change anything about him. Lets recreate a character. Thats not compelling gameplay, that's entirely just a waste of time.

Most of the stuff I've seen people get mad about were just time sinks and worthless features. Stats are a waste of time, like I said before you put all your points into your main stat and some into vitality. Talents are a waste of time, you just go and respec in Diablo 2 now, and before you just had to recreate a character because you screwed up. There really isn't much to it, and if you screw up you have to play with it just because you misclicked. Much of what I'm seeing here is that people don't care for it being hard, they just miss the time sinks in the game. Which I guess is fine if that's what you like but I wouldn't say it makes the game play worse.

Phantom Menace? That movie is terrible and obviously for children while not staying true to the star wars universe. The amount of terrible acting and terrible story telling combined with Jar Jar, I can see that most people could just not like Diablo 3, but putting it on the same level as the Phantom Menace is just... stupid. Its putting on rose colored glasses while remembering Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was riddled with people buying items with real money and spammers as well. Not to mention dupes and several other exploits. Diablo 3 stays pretty much within the Diablo universe in terms of story and has breathtaking cinematics as well as hack and slash gameplay without the time sinks. The graphics i can say cool, if you don't like them, its an artistic choice but comparing it to the Phantom Menace of video games is ridiculous.

There was never a point where 1 skill point would ruin a build in D1-2. Also, what's wrong with making a new character when you want to play differently? Do you just want a lvl 99 character to do Baal runs with? As it is now, the most you'd ever want in D3 is maybe 1 character of each class. I mean, people are still playing D2 to this very day. It must have done something right.

From what I gather so far Diablo III is pretty fun...always online drm not so much. Is that about the jist of it?

From what I gather so far Diablo III is pretty fun...always online drm not so much. Is that about the jist of it?

I haven't played the game, but I've been reading A LOT about it (I played D2 a ton, so I have a lot of interest in D3), and to me it seems the jist of it is that Blizzard has taken D2, stripped away all of the elements that actually made it a great game, and put the addictive elements that are left into D3. That could be totally wrong, because like I said, I haven't played it.

Pretty much. The game is a fun dungeon crawl, the loot is cool and playing with friends is the only way to go. That said, the game is clearly dumbed down (some people would say streamlined/made more accessible), and a huge cash grab by blizzard.

Doesn't make me regret buying it, since I'm enjoying it, but IMO it is indicative of what kind of company blizzard is becoming (cough cough EA).

The environments are excellent (in regards to interactivity; the physics are wonderful) but I really would have liked to see better lighting textures and character models. It doesn't make the game less fun, but it sticks out to me. The game just looks dated.

Character models definitely are a letdown. As far as lighting goes, there is an FXAA profile for D3. I haven’t tried it yet but the video looks pretty impressive.

I haven't played the game, but I've been reading A LOT about it (I played D2 a ton, so I have a lot of interest in D3), and to me it seems the jist of it is that Blizzard has taken D2, stripped away all of the elements that actually made it a great game, and put the addictive elements that are left into D3. That isbe totally wrong, because like I said, I haven't played it.

When playing it feels a lot like D2 to me. Running around and destroying monsters. Blizzard did this one right. Well, except for server issues, but I expect those to be ironed out soon.

I haven't played the game, but I've been reading A LOT about it (I played D2 a ton, so I have a lot of interest in D3), and to me it seems the jist of it is that Blizzard has taken D2, stripped away all of the elements that actually made it a great game, and put the addictive elements that are left into D3. That could be totally wrong, because like I said, I haven't played it.

Here's my take: They took D2 and kept the core gameplay. They stripped away hassles like TP / ID scrolls / Muling and optimized those aspects of the game. No one can really argue that they missed making private games transferring things between their different stashes.

I'm curious which great elements of D2 are missing in D3?

The two biggest issues that keep coming up are:

- Stats and skill allocation. I was skeptical personally but it's grown on me after unlocking all of my skill slots. Elective mode helps immensely.

- No SP mode. Some people compare this to Assassin's Creed. That's just a plain dumb comparison and no one in their right mind will take that comparison seriously. I can see a legitimate complaint with this though. I personally didn't have a problem since I spent maybe 2 hours out of 2000 in SP in D2. How much this impacts you and how much you care about it will be completely based on your own personal situation (i.e. stinks for deployed military with crappy internet).

How about you play the game before commenting on others comments?

The gist of the complaints either revolve around DRM or gameplay. For gameplay, it is people either want Diablo II redux, or they they want something not Diablo. Diablo III is Diablo with the same sorts of art and graphics, and some changes to gameplay that streamline it. Old school players don't like the streamlined version, they want the previous method. Personally, I like the current method. There is still a lot of customization through different abilities, different runes, different items, different gems, etc.

As for online DRM. I hate it, but understand what they are trying to do. They could have made separate single player and multiplayer options, but that takes something away from the overall game. I like the ability to just jump in friend's games and get items that can help them or me to play. What I don't like is losing my own progress in my own game when I jump to another game...

All in all, I think the game is very solid and fun to play. It has its issues, but all games have their issues.

How is comparing it to phantom menace ridiculous? The original star wars were magical, immersive, life changing, edgy at times, created a rabid fanbase that watched it for decades and it never got old. All those things also hold true for diablo 2. Wether D3 stands the test of time is too early to tell, but my gut instinct feels it will be die a slow ugly premature death and be remembered with a mixture of denial and disgust like the Lucas kiddie fluff phantom menace. You must have skipped all the dialogue if you didt think it was unbearably cheesy and ripped straight from a made for a 14 year old WOW game.

There was never a point where 1 skill point would ruin a build in D1-2. Also, what's wrong with making a new character when you want to play differently? Do you just want a lvl 99 character to do Baal runs with? As it is now, the most you'd ever want in D3 is maybe 1 character of each class. I mean, people are still playing D2 to this very day. It must have done something right.

1) in my builds, after building 30-40, one point here and there takes away from a build, especially if you were planning on PvP and wanted to hit your breakpoints

2) There's nothing wrong with making a new character when i want to play differently, BUT i think the important thing is: the current system ALLOWs you to make a new character if you want to. The old system REQUIRED it.

in the old days, i had time and resources to gear 5 or 6 characters really well and level them up. now i do not, i want to be able to regear my character because i don't have the time i used to to build new characters, find/trade for their gear, and then rebuild them because i didn't like certain skills.

Here's my take: They took D2 and kept the core gameplay. They stripped away hassles like TP / ID scrolls / Muling and optimized those aspects of the game. No one can really argue that they missed making private games transferring things between their different stashes.

I'm curious which great elements of D2 are missing in D3?

The two biggest issues that keep coming up are:

- Stats and skill allocation. I was skeptical personally but it's grown on me after unlocking all of my skill slots. Elective mode helps immensely.

- No SP mode. Some people compare this to Assassin's Creed. That's just a plain dumb comparison and no one in their right mind will take that comparison seriously. I can see a legitimate complaint with this though. I personally didn't have a problem since I spent maybe 2 hours out of 2000 in SP in D2. How much this impacts you and how much you care about it will be completely based on your own personal situation (i.e. stinks for deployed military with crappy internet).

I totally agree. I played the shit out of Diablo 1 & 2, and I am liking Diablo 3 just as much. I certainly DO NOT miss having to maintain a small army of mules to store all of my gear and the royal pain in the ass it was to keep track of it all.

How is comparing it to phantom menace ridiculous? The original star wars were magical, immersive, life changing, edgy at times, created a rabid fanbase that watched it for decades and it never got old. All those things also hold true for diablo 2. Wether D3 stands the test of time is too early to tell, but my gut instinct feels it will be die a slow ugly premature death and be remembered with a mixture of denial and disgust like the Lucas kiddie fluff phantom menace. You must have skipped all the dialogue if you didt think it was unbearably cheesy and ripped straight from a made for a 14 year old WOW game.

Except the part where D2 was a lot like D1. So why isn't D2 the phantom menace? There was nothing that 'magical', 'life changing', 'edgy' about D2 over D1. So no, all those things do NOT hold true for Diablo 2. Too many people are just living in the fantasy of the past and not really facing reality. It's like the grump old men that grew up in the 1950s and don't like the way things have changed. Some things you may like better, but others don't. If game companies listened to the few hardcore fanatics, they would end up going out of business.

This. +1

I know people will kick D3's ass over some basic graphics, voice acting and so on, but it's Diablo. Diablo II wasn't a 180 degrees turn from Diablo I.

Also, I believe the game industry (Blizzard in this case) actually chose to do things like this because it works. Countless Call of Duty versions being only the same FPS in different environments, with some little changes here and here, still raked in lots of money. Diablo III will be a commercial success because it will be played for a long time, and it is still a Diablo game. You don't like it? Don't play it. You don't like being on the Internet all the time? I believe you already ARE on the Internet all the time, only for other reasons than playing the game. Get over it, plz.

I have a 9 hour flight on Saturday and a 9 hour return...there are times when I definitely wish it wasnt internet connection required.

But it requires a connection. That's my complaint. If I wanted a game requiring a connection, I'd play a multiplayer game. I don't buy Ubisoft games for their DRM. I view the online component of D3 just as a well disguised DRM system.

The game was marketed as a multiplayer game though. They know that's where the longevity of the game lies. Think of the single player as a public game with a private password. Because that's really all it is, you make it MP on the fly.

Except the part where D2 was a lot like D1. So why isn't D2 the phantom menace? There was nothing that 'magical', 'life changing', 'edgy' about D2 over D1. So no, all those things do NOT hold true for Diablo 2. Too many people are just living in the fantasy of the past and not really facing reality. It's like the grump old men that grew up in the 1950s and don't like the way things have changed. Some things you may like better, but others don't. If game companies listened to the few hardcore fanatics, they would end up going out of business.

They wouldn't go out of business. If Blizzard had released Diablo 2.5, everyone would have bought it anyway.

Fuck this. Just logged in to try again..Cant get lower than 400ms ping and it's been going between 500-800ms. FFS..This is getting old.

If game companies listened to the few hardcore fanatics, they would end up going out of business.

If the few hardcore fanatics didn't elevate their games to cult like status, then maybe they would actually listen to their fans instead of catering to the largest common denominator because they assume the real fans will already gobble up anything they put out branded with the franchise no matter how diluted it is. There are plenty of studious listening to the hardcore fans with upcoming titles that are very highly anticipated in gaming circles like PoE, TL2, Grimm Dawn and while they might not sell nearly as many copies as souless companies like Activiosion/Blizzard, EA etc. I highly doubt they will be going out of business if the true gaming community supports them. Those are the companies I will be giving my money to and no amount of "you sound like a whiny spoiled gamer" putdowns will ever dissuade me from publicly stating my feelings for something thats been an integral part of my life since I could hold a joystick.

Last edited:
I finished it, now I'm going to uninstall and forget. And luckily it was an early birthday gift, so didn't waste money on it. It's okay game, but just okay. I feel a bit like expecting a good slow food meal, and instead I feel like getting a McD burger.

Seems I was spoiled by gems like Demon Soul and Dark Souls and I was expecting same level of fun and quality gaming like in those. I was disappointed.

Cant say much about servers, as I had only trouble at launch day, then it was all well. And I'm not great fan of being always online for single gaming. I treat diablo and was always treating it as single player. I don't like playing with other people, unless it's Mmo on RP servers, because I hate those "min max" attitude, as I play for fun, and not as 2nd job.

Except the part where D2 was a lot like D1. So why isn't D2 the phantom menace? There was nothing that 'magical', 'life changing', 'edgy' about D2 over D1. So no, all those things do NOT hold true for Diablo 2.

No one played D1 for 12 nonstop years and poured thousands of hours of their lives into it, if thats not as magical and life changing as it comes for a video game then please tell me what is?

No one played D1 for 12 nonstop years and poured thousands of hours of their lives into it, if thats not as magical and life changing as it comes for a video game then please tell me what is?

Life changing? Sure, you just spent thousands of hours on a game that drops loot. Magical? Hardly. Still think you're looking at D2 with rose colored glasses.

As for those saying it is an apt comparison to phantom menace i really don't see what they made so childish about the game. No talent tree? ok... so what? it still has tons of skills and different ways to customize them. No skill points, stupid anyway main stat and again vitality to stay alive for long enough. No scrolls to get back to town or identify stuff? pointless. Dialog in D2 is similar to D3 and you can finish D2 in about 4 hours not even had played it before without skipping the dialog. Honestly you're seeing D2 with nostalgia. It was a game you put hundreds of hours grinding because it caught your fancy to roam dungeons and get gear and level up. Its a dungeon crawler with a decent (not amazing) story, awesome cinematics, and fun gameplay. What made D2 magical really thats changed? because i'm mostly seeing the grindy elements gone from it with again a decent story and great cinematics.

Phantom menace was a movie that caters to children because the dialog is incredibly simplistic and the story line is terrible along with an annoying character that can't speak properly (jar jar). You went from great trilogy that could be on par with an epic to one that cheapened the series by introducing characters like jar jar and such and completely changing the formula for the movie to be one that didn't even pull from much of the main themes of the original trilogy. The original formula is there, gear, customization (more so than d2), leveling, questing, dungeon exploring and killing monsters and bosses. Again not the greatest game of all time but not a 2/10 movie like Phantom menace.

I finished it, now I'm going to uninstall and forget. And luckily it was an early birthday gift, so didn't waste money on it. It's okay game, but just okay. I feel a bit like expecting a good slow food meal, and instead I feel like getting a McD burger.

Seems I was spoiled by gems like Demon Soul and Dark Souls and I was expecting same level of fun and quality gaming like in those. I was disappointed.

Cant say much about servers, as I had only trouble at launch day, then it was all well. And I'm not great fan of being always online for single gaming. I treat diablo and was always treating it as single player. I don't like playing with other people, unless it's Mmo on RP servers, because I hate those "min max" attitude, as I play for fun, and not as 2nd job.

you'll get your Demon/Dark Souls level of fun & quality at Hell & Inferno difficulty. Normal is meant to be easy and obviously tuned that way.

D3 difficulty should be renamed Easy, Normal, Hard, Death

Blizzard diminished the min/max attitude in D3 greatly by removing stat customization and easily showing +/- for damage, HP, and damage reduction between same gear type

True. Min/maxers and grinders aren't left with a whole lot until the final difficulty, I'd imagine. It's too bad, as I play that way probably 1/3 of the time.

you'll get your Demon/Dark Souls level of fun & quality at Hell & Inferno difficulty. Normal is meant to be easy and obviously tuned that way.

D3 difficulty should be renamed Easy, Normal, Hard, Death

Doesn't it force you to play through Normal first, though? That's kind of the difference in my mind.

Plus, it's not so much a difficulty level since you can't really just start at a higher difficulty because everything is way higher level anyway.

Basically you have to play through the game on "easy mode" to get to the good stuff, which then requires you to play through the same content AGAIN.

Doesn't it force you to play through Normal first, though? That's kind of the difference in my mind.

Plus, it's not so much a difficulty level since you can't really just start at a higher difficulty because everything is way higher level anyway.

Basically you have to play through the game on "easy mode" to get to the good stuff, which then requires you to play through the same content AGAIN.

guess you never played D2 then because it has always been about farming and getting loot and a whole lot of repeating content

i think his point was if you had played diablo 2 you'd be expecting the repetition through difficulties.

I did play Diablo 2, but I didn't grind a whole lot and played mostly SP. So clearly, Diablo 3 does not appeal to me that much. :p

I have a 9 hour flight on Saturday and a 9 hour return...there are times when I definitely wish it wasnt internet connection required.

I understand you would have liked to play during your flight. But then again:

1) There are other offline games available for play (unless your backlog is empty, which I doubt ;)

2) Sorry for that, but I don't think you are a part of the majority.

I believe the always-online feature, as opposed to one offline/online (for SP and MP respectively) was made so that casual players can play (who can't actually afford to start all over again on ANOTHER character just to play with your friends online). And casual is where the money lie. Business decision.

i dont think the scores are over the top. i mean what does this game bring in terms of originality/refreshness of it?

This game is based on OLD and i mean OLD-school hack and slash gameplay thats been done to death when the likes of Bastion(a similar game) offers more then this.

This game is fine. but not worth the price of a brand new current gen game.

The fact that you have to bloody be online to play single player is a joke and anyone who constantly bashed other games with similar DRM and not this one is smoking Blizzard's crap.

If and IF you yourself are happy with the DRM in this game then dont fucking moan and complain about other single player games having same DRM as you are just being a blatent BLIZARD fanboy.

Back