Diablo III coming to consoles.

So the mere fact that they are porting it over to the console means some people don't want to play it? Wow.

PC gamers are a passionate and completely ridiculous people, so... yup. Not only does it make them not want to play it, they feel betrayed.

PC gamers are a passionate and completely ridiculous people, so... yup. Not only does it make them not want to play it, they feel betrayed.

Nah, most of us don't care. It isn't like they have to change the game elements to fit the console, it's a hack and slash isometric game, which can easily be played on either platform. I doubt it would be a candidate for "dumbing down".

lol controller vs keyboard/mouse on diablo. Look forward to it.

though, honestly I dont know that Im in any hurry to pick this up.

Actually, with Halo 2, the console fanboys still had their little aimbot, while M/K didn't. I think it's the only way for them to compensate for the massive difference in skill between the two platforms.

But seriously, what happened to you Blizzard?

I'll just hold out for Torchlight 2, or Grim Dawn, or Path of Exile, or any other of the other fantastic looking Action RPGs coming out in the near future. You know, the ones that don't force me to be online when I just want to kill shit in singleplayer.

Edit: I'm not refusing to buy it because of the console thing, so don't take it that way.

Probably already been posted (too lazy to read the entire thread) but Diablo 1 was also ported to the original Play Station so this move is neither a surprise nor a big deal.

So the mere fact that they are porting it over to the console means some people don't want to play it? Wow.

296nrmd.jpg

I dont think this is a good idea, diablo doesnt have a history on the console like it does on the pc, diablo one did have a console version I think but it was crap. Action rpg's aren't exactly a hot genre on the console right now.

Don't really see what the big deal is since it was developed for the PC first and is, I'm assuming, being ported over to consoles. Fine by me and makes sense from a business that wants to broaden their market.

I dont think this is a good idea, diablo doesnt have a history on the console like it does on the pc, diablo one did have a console version I think but it was crap. Action rpg's aren't exactly a hot genre on the console right now.

Torchlight did well on 360.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath 1 and 2 were very good console action RPGs. Sacred 2 was also released on consoles. Then there's War of the North coming out soon which looks promising.

And the Diablo 1 port wasn't crap by any means, the only difference was slightly downgraded graphics.

I think the Diablo genre is one that works pretty damn well for a console controls. I'll still play it on PC, but I think it's a good fit for consoles.

I think the Diablo genre is one that works pretty damn well for a console controls. I'll still play it on PC, but I think it's a good fit for consoles.

The more I think about it, it might actually work BETTER for combat with a controller. Diablo is basically Robotron-style controls, guy in the middle of screen shooting and whacking crap surrounding him. LS moves, RS aims. You lose fine tuned aiming on close up enemies, but it is probably more fluid that way.

I'll still be playing on PC.

The more I think about it, it might actually work BETTER for combat with a controller. Diablo is basically Robotron-style controls, guy in the middle of screen shooting and whacking crap surrounding him. LS moves, RS aims. You lose fine tuned aiming on close up enemies, but it is probably more fluid that way.

I'll still be playing on PC.

Aye, I think Diablo III would transfer very well to a twin-stick shooter style control scheme.

Though it's quite obvious that the PC version has been at the helm ever since the announcement, so I'm not going to condemn Blizzard to hell or anything, since I doubt (hope) the port to console won't affect the PC version.

I hope it doesnt lead them to eventually develop future games for consoles 1st, PC 2nd. This is not the same Blizzard as it was before.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Blizzard has always been a console developer. Their first game was a game for the SNES called RPM Racing. They were making games for consoles before they made PC games. All of their games up until Diablo 2 had a console version.

Anyone who's worried about them developing for consoles ruining their PC games obviously doesn't know the company's history.

This has been known for some time now. I even posted a link leading to the Gamasutra announcement from Blizzard looking for a console developer back in one of the Diablo III threads.

I'm with those who think this does not mean the game will be some bad port. There are other reasons to dislike the game in my opinion...

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Blizzard has always been a console developer. Their first game was a game for the SNES called RPM Racing. They were making games for consoles before they made PC games. All of their games up until Diablo 2 had a console version.

Anyone who's worried about them developing for consoles ruining their PC games obviously doesn't know the company's history.

Don't want to add too much fuel to the fire, because I honestly don't think it'll matter that it's being developed for consoles as well. But I think it's pretty silly to say that Blizzard's past console ports are on the same footing as this one. The landscape is very different from the PS/N64 days, consoles are far more popular.

That said, I like Blizzard as a company (for the most part) and I think they'll do the right thing, whatever that is.

It should translate very well to the Wii, where the IR pointer can be used just the same way as the mouse pointer. Just point at the screen, and A and B can be bound to primary and secondary skills. Should work surprisingly well!

Unfortunately, I doubt this will ever happen.

I love how the OP states "another game I'm not buying". Let's break down why this is a stupid reason .

1. They've already made console games before, the original Diablo was ported over the console eventually, and they've had a few other console titles.
2. This is a PC game first, they don't even have a full development team for making a console port of the game.
3. They might be a very rich company now, but clearly the development of games is exactly the same and what makes them so good. They've been trying to make console games for YEARS, if they though Ghost would have been a success and released it, this wouldn't even be something worth mentioning.

Wasn't their very first game a console game even? A port/remake of a old C64 racer nonetheless?

Blizzard has a long history of developing for consoles, they just haven't done anything for consoles in awhile since their focus has been games that wouldn't translate well (SC2 and WoW).

This still shouldn't come to surpise to anyone since the job posting for a Playstation 3 developer was (might still be) on their website for quite awhile under the Diablo 3 Job Openings.

The game is still a day one purchase for me just like Diablo II was. The online-only doesn't bother me because I can't even remember how few times I acutally played Diablo II offline. If my internet goes out more than likely I have bigger issues to deal with since it's been a rock solid connection.

Were people this upset when The Orange Box (or just HL or HL2) were ported to consoles? What about any other number of games that came out on PC first then later on a console?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-blizzard-serious-about-console-diablo-3

Blizzard has given its firmest indication to date that Diablo 3 is coming to consoles.

While lead designer Josh Mosqueira stopped short of confirming the port out right during a Gamescom press conference today, he stated that the developer "is very, very serious about bringing the Diablo 3 experience to the console."

He added that, as reported earlier this year, Blizzard is currently in the process of recruiting a team to handle a potential console version of the action RPG sequel.

"Today, we're trying to build the best console team at Blizzard. We're looking for programmers, designers, artists who think their dream job would be to bring Diablo to the console. Trust me, it is a dream job.

"All I can say is it's going to be awesome. Stay tuned."

The PC version of the game is still without a firm release date though an open beta is expected to go live before the end of September.

Another game I'm not buying.

At no point did he even fully confirm that its a straight release of Diablo 3 directly to the console, he only states a potential console version, which may actually be an entirely different game based on the Diablo universe.

I hate articles like this that would rather raise speculation rather than deliver real facts!

It does all make sense now, the changes to skills points and attribute points, the rune system that only allows you to use 6 skills at one time. (much easier for console controls) stream lining D3 for console play.

But I highly doubt it will ever happen. Blizzard wants to have complete control over it's IP, and D3's RMAH wont work on consoles. Sony, Nintendo, MS, are all going to want a cut of money that blizzard is raking in from the RMAH. Also how would Blizzard integrate B.net with PSN, XBL, etc. B.net will still be required for all authentication, purchases, and other transactions..

People are upset because they've seen this story before with other great PC developers. Unreal Tournament '99 came out on the PS2 and Dreamcast, but that didn't make Epic a console developer. It wasn't until a little bit later when they realized that they could make oodles of cash for minimal effort games cranked out once a year that they made their transition into console focus.

It's just good business. For the PC gamer, it stands in the way of good games, sadly. Even more sadly, the PC gamer is a considerably smaller demographic, so they just end up not giving a shit at some point.

Blizzard has a long history of developing for consoles, they just haven't done anything for consoles in awhile since their focus has been games that wouldn't translate well (SC2 and WoW).

They haven't done anything on consoles since consoles became a lot bigger than PC for the middlecore gaming demographic.

People are upset because they've seen this story before with other great PC developers. Unreal Tournament '99 came out on the PS2 and Dreamcast, but that didn't make Epic a console developer. It wasn't until a little bit later when they realized that they could make oodles of cash for minimal effort games cranked out once a year that they made their transition into console focus.

It's just good business. For the PC gamer, it stands in the way of good games, sadly. Even more sadly, the PC gamer is a considerably smaller demographic, so they just end up not giving a shit at some point.

They haven't done anything on consoles since consoles became a lot bigger than PC for the middlecore gaming demographic.

Different situation as Blizzard's biggest cash cows right now (WoW and StarCraft 2) wouldn't really work on consoles and they already have roadmaps set for all their future games, which are currently PC-exclusive.

Even if they ditch the PC and go for the consoles just like Epic, it won't be for a long time.

If Gears of War is a "minimal effort" game, I don't know what all these other shitty games coming out are. They must be thrown together in a weekend.

It does all make sense now, the changes to skills points and attribute points, the rune system that only allows you to use 6 skills at one time. (much easier for console controls) stream lining D3 for console play.

But I highly doubt it will ever happen. Blizzard wants to have complete control over it's IP, and D3's RMAH wont work on consoles. Sony, Nintendo, MS, are all going to want a cut of money that blizzard is raking in from the RMAH. Also how would Blizzard integrate B.net with PSN, XBL, etc. B.net will still be required for all authentication, purchases, and other transactions..

diablowiki.com says there are a max of 7 skills at once. i'm trying to think though, how many do you really need? with my amazon/necro toons i wasn't using that many, other than buff skills maybe.

diablowiki.com says there are a max of 7 skills at once. i'm trying to think though, how many do you really need? with my amazon/necro toons i wasn't using that many, other than buff skills maybe.

Yeah really I only used about 3 maybe 4 Skill when playing my Necromancer and even less than that playing Amazon and Barbarian.

With a barb or paly, you have 3-4 buff skills that you use in addition to your attack skills, so having only 7 skills could get tight, depending on how they work it out.

after thinking about it. i hope that diablo3 doesn't go to consoles, but that they make a separate diablo game for consoles. the only reason is so that i can buy it to play with friends. a console based dungeon crawler with diablo's loot system? sign me up. i wouldn't want to buy diablo 3 for console.

I think this game would be PERFECT for the Vita.... imagine how awesome it would be with the back touch controls and the ability to point and click with the touch screen! Make it happen Blizzard, portable D3 epicness!

I'm pretty sure, no matter what happens, it will be better than the Diablo 1 and Starcraft ports were.

Really? How many skills did you use in Diablo 2? 99 levels = 99 points, at 20 points per skill + pre-reqs, you were looking at having 3 skills per build, maybe 4 if you went with sub-max skills. Oh, and then there were the synergy skills when they changed it to that so that you used even less skills because you had to pump your synergies.

Altho I do miss my sorceress who ran around with 2 points in every spell. I sure had a lot of versatility on that char.

:rolleyes:

after thinking about it. i hope that diablo3 doesn't go to consoles, but that they make a separate diablo game for consoles. the only reason is so that i can buy it to play with friends. a console based dungeon crawler with diablo's loot system? sign me up. i wouldn't want to buy diablo 3 for console.

When Diablo came out on the Playstation it wasn't the same game.

In response to the guy who said it'd have to be tied into b.net and crap with an RMAH for the consoles too... just no.

LOL LOL CONSOLITIS, DIABLO 3 IS FOR NOOBS NOT PROS LIKE ME. IF I WANTED TO USE A CONTROLLER I'D SIT ON MY COUCH LIKE A BITCH AND PLAY A DUMBED DOWN CONSOLE GAME FOR WEAKLINGS.

BRO UR LEIK SOMEONE I KNOW IM NOT SURE THIS A COINCIDIENCE BUT UNLESS U CAN CONFIRM I MIGHT HAEV TO LOOK INTO YOUR BRIAN

Back