Diablo II Resurrected: Offical Thread

So for those of us that have Ultrawide monitors, will D2 have the big black bars on either end of the screen? If so, then hard pass on this game.
It's called "pillarboxing." As opposed to "letterboxing."

So for those of us that have Ultrawide monitors, will D2 have the big black bars on either end of the screen? If so, then hard pass on this game.

When I played the beta for a little, they made it look like fog of war type thing, you just can't get rid of it.

For those who played both Diablo II (resurrected) and Grim Dawn - which one did you like more?

For those who played both Diablo II (resurrected) and Grim Dawn - which one did you like more?
Not really sure that there's a good way to answer this question; both are good ARPGs that play very differently. D2 set the tone for the entire genre and D2R is, so far, just a facelift/QOL update to that same game. D2R's nostalgia value is likely through the roof for most players, while Grim Dawn is one of several "modern" ARPG options.

To me, the biggest points of emphasis would be:
- D2R has randomly generated maps while Grim Dawn has static maps.
- D2R offers central servers through Battle.net (secured environment) while Grim Dawn only has player-hosted networked games; for many players the online experience really made D2 what it was.
- Grim Dawn, at this point, probably has more overall content but probably has less replay value, although obviously YMMV.
- Grim Dawn's game engine is much newer and has smoother pathing, combat, etc.
- Grim Dawn supports mods while D2R will not.

Personally, I feel there are good reasons to play both games, and the main question is probably simply "do you want to play Diablo 2?"

Not really sure that there's a good way to answer this question; both are good ARPGs that play very differently. D2 set the tone for the entire genre and D2R is, so far, just a facelift/QOL update to that same game. D2R's nostalgia value is likely through the roof for most players, while Grim Dawn is one of several "modern" ARPG options.

To me, the biggest points of emphasis would be:
- D2R has randomly generated maps while Grim Dawn has static maps.
- D2R offers central servers through Battle.net (secured environment) while Grim Dawn only has player-hosted networked games; for many players the online experience really made D2 what it was.
- Grim Dawn, at this point, probably has more overall content but probably has less replay value, although obviously YMMV.
- Grim Dawn's game engine is much newer and has smoother pathing, combat, etc.
- Grim Dawn supports mods while D2R will not.

Personally, I feel there are good reasons to play both games, and the main question is probably simply "do you want to play Diablo 2?"

Thanks for the list! I never played Diablo II before, but have played Grim Dawn (my introduction to ARPG space). While I may miss some quality of life features that are present in more modern ARPGs, I cant see how I can skip Diablo 2 remastered given my interest in the genre. And based on what I can gather a lot of people think that Diablo 2 is more atmospheric with better story line than Grim Dawn and better pacing (most say Grim Dawn has superior build variety). But I suppose the only way to find out how much I will like Diablo 2 compared to Grim Dawn will be to play it myself.

There are also some that suggest that Grim Dawn mod Reign of Terror is better than D2 resurrected, but I am not sure how much of this stems from hatred toward Blizzard and how much of it is actually objective.

Thanks for the list! I never played Diablo II before, but have played Grim Dawn (my introduction to ARPG space). While I may miss some quality of life features that are present in more modern ARPGs, I cant see how I can skip Diablo 2 remastered given my interest in the genre. And based on what I can gather a lot of people think that Diablo 2 is more atmospheric with better story line than Grim Dawn and better pacing (most say Grim Dawn has superior build variety). But I suppose the only way to find out how much I will like Diablo 2 compared to Grim Dawn will be to play it myself.

There are also some that suggest that Grim Dawn mod Reign of Terror is better than D2 resurrected, but I am not sure how much of this stems from hatred toward Blizzard and how much of it is actually objective.
Reign of Terror isn't exactly like D2, so keep that in mind if that is what you're expecting from that mod.

What I'm interested to see (mainly from an online perspective) is whether the game will be botted and, if so, to what extent. A lot of people think of D2 and think of Hammerdins teleporting around wearing Enigmas and just cheesing through the game, but a lot of that stuff relied upon high runes that only saw proliferation due to bots and various duping methods on the old Bnet 1.0 architecture.

Unless they've messed with droprates then it could be quite a while before the game resembles the D2 environment that players left back in the early 2000s.

What I'm interested to see (mainly from an online perspective) is whether the game will be botted and, if so, to what extent. A lot of people think of D2 and think of Hammerdins teleporting around wearing Enigmas and just cheesing through the game, but a lot of that stuff relied upon high runes that only saw proliferation due to bots and various duping methods on the old Bnet 1.0 architecture.

Unless they've messed with droprates then it could be quite a while before the game resembles the D2 environment that players left back in the early 2000s.
Long live ETH BOTD Warpike and an A3(2?) Nightmare Merc

Reactions: Aix.
like this

We shall find out tomorrow!

Wouldn't bother me, I only ever played Diablo 2 single player or on LAN.

Not sure we will see too many cheaters on a game this old anyway. You will get a big spike in players then when the nostalgia wears off it will thin out pretty quick.

Wouldn't bother me either, but my point was more about how the mass availability of those powerful items (runes, runewords, annihilus charms, etc.) greatly shaped how a lot of people viewed the game, and I've seen tons of both positive and negative opinions in that regard.

Personally, the best time I ever had with D2 was when I had a regular group that would run fun builds together in HC, sharing all drops and just trying to make the party better and survive without a bunch of OP gear. OTOH, messing around with crazy runewords also made for a lot of fun experimentation with different builds, which extended the life of the game in another way, but without people botting the game I don't know that we'll see much of that.

Not sure we will see too many cheaters on a game this old anyway. You will get a big spike in players then when the nostalgia wears off it will thin out pretty quick.
Well the amount of real money trading (RMT) that went on in D2 is what led to Blizzard implementing the Real Money Auction House in D3, and I'm sure there are plenty of item sellers rubbing their hands together right now in anticipation of returning to the glory days. Where there is potential for $$$ there is incentive to bot, and we see it in other ARPGs like Path of Exile and various MMOs, etc.

Well the amount of real money trading (RMT) that went on in D2 is what led to Blizzard implementing the Real Money Auction House in D3, and I'm sure there are plenty of item sellers rubbing their hands together right now in anticipation of returning to the glory days. Where there is potential for $$$ there is incentive to bot, and we see it in other ARPGs like Path of Exile and various MMOs, etc.
The RMAH was great, only thing that made playing that game worthwhile. Should just put it in D2 remastered.

And also trade scams!!! They got me once when I was a kid lol.

RMAH was not a terrible idea, I guess. I remember spending maybe $5-$10 on weapons because the initial drop rates in D3 were so abysmally bad. Then, if you did get a drop you wanted it would roll Int on a Barbarian or some bullshit like that.

Then they got rid of RMAH, tweaked drops, and the money I spent on RMAH was basically for nothing. Meh.

Meh. Got a necro up to lvl 7 then I lost connection to server. Logged back in and my necro is showing lvl 1 lol

Damn, was planning to play with a buddy but he is still using a GTX 580 and apparently the game will literally not launch saying he's below the minimum requirements. He's on Win10 and latest drivers. :(

Sooo, how's the launch?
Typical Blizzard.

1632412352959.png

1632412374842.png

1632412399927.png

I missed Diablo 2 as a kid but I played 3. If I liked 3 do you think I will like this one?
Without the nostalgia factor it's hard to say. It's an older less forgiving game with less variety in activities. If you pick the wrong skills you will have to create a new character. Also the end game is killing the same bosses over and over with little variety unlike D3 rifts.

While d2 resurrected seems to have some character creation issues/ loads. It looks like you can just transfer your old single player d2 guys to single player. So in the mean time, I'm enjoying d2 resurrected with my old single player guys.

I didn't play the alpha or anything. I'm really enjoying just the graphics upgrade.

Rig
5900x
Rtx 3070ti
1440p in all it's glory

Also, shared inventory. Single player lifesaver. No mods needed.

Back