Diablo II and Warcraft III Remasters Confirmed by Job Opening

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Great news for anyone who never played Diablo II or Warcraft III proper: Blizzard is currently on the lookout for a new senior software engineer to work on remasters of those very games. Judging by their work on StarCraft: Remastered, we should expect the titles to play exactly the same but with 4K visual upgrades, new artwork, and re-recorded audio.

The remastered editions are directly referenced in a new job opening listed by the company, in which they are trying to find a senior software engineer with 5 years of experience. The text of the listing directly mentions Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3, as titles that offered compelling stories, intense multiplayer, and endless replayability, which allowed them to become the “titans of their day.” And while the constant evolution of hardware and online platforms has left them behind current games, Blizzard confirms that they are “restoring them to glory.”

Diablo II was the first game I ever played. I'll look forward to trying the remastered edition. Just wish they would make CODII playable on W10 now.

Diablo II Remaster ... I hope they do it properly and don't just do a re-release with new widescreen choices.
After Diablo 3, I can only hope they do as little as possible to the actual game. Last thing I want is an "updated" art style or core design choice that is anything remotely similar to that atrocity.

After Diablo 3, I can only hope they do as little as possible to the actual game. Last thing I want is an "updated" art style or core design choice that is anything remotely similar to that atrocity.

Yeah no kidding. No thank you to 3D textures. There better be a good amount of Pentagrams & dead naked bodies on pikes and mass graves too i.e Durance of Hate.

The game engine might be dated but the story, music and voice cast is amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. I still have the original Diablo II I bought back in the 90's. I would be all over a updated graphics version.

The game engine might be dated but the story, music and voice cast is amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. I still have the original Diablo II I bought back in the 90's. I would be all over a updated graphics version.

I still have my Collectors Edition Box :)

Too excited for a D2 remaster. My favorite all time game probably.

They did give D1 some love back in jan/feb in D3, and it was damn good love I think as well. I really enjoyed The Darkening Of Tristram event

Another voice for a Warcraft 2 remaster, here. That game is one of the all-time best RTSs.

Reactions: blkt
like this
I am cautiously optimistic, but for some reason I can see them doing the same crap with it as D3, meaning PC folks will have to be online all the time to even play it single player.

back to the legendary games they used to make, unlike the typical "AAA" they do now.

back to the legendary games they used to make, unlike the typical "AAA" they do now.

Only problem is, they don't have any of the legendary team left to make it :( ....But I'm really hoping they will listen to the community this time and get some people with that kind of passion they had working on D2 to develop it. Really hope they don't just gut it & start replacing things because they're "new".

They must work towards the east!.....Always, to the east.

Great news for anyone who never played Diablo II or Warcraft III proper: Blizzard is currently on the lookout for a new senior software engineer to work on remasters of those very games. Judging by their work on StarCraft: Remastered, we should expect the titles to play exactly the same but with 4K visual upgrades, new artwork, and re-recorded audio.

The remastered editions are directly referenced in a new job opening listed by the company, in which they are trying to find a senior software engineer with 5 years of experience. The text of the listing directly mentions Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3, as titles that offered compelling stories, intense multiplayer, and endless replayability, which allowed them to become the “titans of their day.” And while the constant evolution of hardware and online platforms has left them behind current games, Blizzard confirms that they are “restoring them to glory.”

I don't need Diablo 2 again. I have Path of Exile.

Too excited for a D2 remaster. My favorite all time game probably.

They did give D1 some love back in jan/feb in D3, and it was damn good love I think as well. I really enjoyed The Darkening Of Tristram event
Play Path of Exile. It beats Diablo 2 in every way and is what Diablo 3 should have been. Its free, and is updated in a major way a couple times a year typically.

I don't need Diablo 2 again. I have Path of Exile.

1r2j8q.jpg

Also, Path of Exiles story is pretty mediocre.

In your heart of hearts, you know it to be true, Diablo always finds a way. :p

Can't wait to play Diablo II with bright, cheerful colours and cartoony WoW inspired characters...

So the light finally went on at Blizzard? Many years late but glad to see it.

DII is the greatest game ever made. Hopefully the care bears at Blizzard won't bugger up the pvp.

So the light finally went on at Blizzard? Many years late but glad to see it.

I know right, took them a good while to realize there is money to be made selling peoples childhood / memories back to them. They are way late.

I'm so looking forward to it! I can't wait to play both games again in all its remastered glory. This will be instant purchase for each collector's edition the moment both are ready for pre-order.

Not much free time but that won't be a problem. Even VR games will take a backseat to Diablo 2 and WC2.

If they update DII, DIILoD to modern graphics/software standards AND allow mods like Eastern Sun or MedianXL to work in full then this is a pretty big deal.

My WAG is they'll probably still fuck over the mods though.

I assume this remastered edition will support resolutions higher than 800x600

Keep hoping they will give Diablo 1 some remaster love. But some high def exploding mobs of cows from a pair of trapisians will do.
Look at the remake of the first Diablo within the third one. Its "proper old-school Diablo experience" was a mockery with features such as pixel and audio filters, restricted movement and intentional frame stuttering as if these were the reasons the first Diablo was so great. It was a joke.

And yes, WarCraft II was better.

Diablo 2 remastered, now featuring in-engine cinematic scenes with lower fidelity than the 1999 original game renders. But it's more immersive they'll say!

Am I the only one who finds original games perfectly fine, playable and acceptable just as they are? (provided they can be run on modern systems) I play old classics occasionally and find them as much fun as I did back then. They don't need HD, 4K, remastered, bla, bla...to be great. Maybe it's the younger (AD)HD crowd that can't enjoy a great candy if it's not wrapped in a shiny package, or I'm an old grumpy grandpa, what do I know.

WC3 is very playable as is, but D2 is pretty hard to play due to the resolution / lack of fidelity.

If they remaster the war3 map editor as well it'll be the last game you ever need.

Back