Diablo 3 PC for $19.99 @ Gamestop

I ordered 4 copies from Amazon (using two accounts since there is a 3 copy limit) then downloaded the demo from Blizzard on two machines for my wife and I to give it a try. We played 100's of hours of Diablo 2 together and with the Auction House going away (the main reason we didn't bother with D3) we we're both hopeful that it would offer a similiar fun experience.

Our experience was disappointing. In a 3 hour play session, we had a dozen disconnects and numerous times where the game would desync forcing a restart. The next day when I tried to play I was unable to because it was "maintenance Tuesday". I ended up cancelling my order with Amazon.

Was my experience just a fluke? Do the people who recommend the game play mostly single player?

I totally get where you're coming from. When I first restarted playing a few weeks ago (played for a few weeks after launch, then got bored) it was great. Literally everything I farmed from before (and by farmed, I mean played auction house simulator) I found better and more interesting items from my through playthrough. The most surprising part were the public games. I joined public games occasionally and they're a blast. They're not just people running through a single objective/dungeon and disconnecting. People clear entire acts together and it's a lot of fun. I play either on my own, in pubs, or with two of my friends .

I will say that I definitely get the experiences you're talking about though. There have been so many patches preparing for the new expansion that there are a ton of maitenance/patching days. There have been multiple days where I really want to play... but can't connect. Then it fades and I do something else and forget about D3 for a few days. I assume it'll get better since the huge changes from 2.0 and the expansion will settle down soon, but I'm not going to try to sell you on anything. D3 is definitely still fun for me, but I play it occasionally rather than obsessively.

I recently just came back to D3 (about a week or so ago).

I have been having a blast, and I love the new loot system.

I have not had ANY disconnects. Not a single one. So I am not sure why some of you are having problems. Everything has been great for me, and I have put in probably 40 hours in the past week or so playing this game.

I ordered 4 copies from Amazon (using two accounts since there is a 3 copy limit) then downloaded the demo from Blizzard on two machines for my wife and I to give it a try. We played 100's of hours of Diablo 2 together and with the Auction House going away (the main reason we didn't bother with D3) we we're both hopeful that it would offer a similiar fun experience.

Our experience was disappointing. In a 3 hour play session, we had a dozen disconnects and numerous times where the game would desync forcing a restart. The next day when I tried to play I was unable to because it was "maintenance Tuesday". I ended up cancelling my order with Amazon.

Was my experience just a fluke? Do the people who recommend the game play mostly single player?

Yeah it was rough for a day or two after launch, like many popular online game launches. Nothing close to the launch problems Diablo 2 suffered however. But they fixed their server issues pretty quickly for Diablo 3 so if you had hung in there for another day or two you would've been fine.

Not sure if RoS will bring about similar Day 1 issues, but it looks like Blizzard did the smart thing and introduced Loot 2.0 in advance to help stagger the increase in players.

Your experience isn't normal. I have hundreds of hours played in D3 since launch and it's extremely stable and solid. Even at launch with it's problems, just from the mass of people trying to log in at once, it was solid and I played for 12 hours straight without disconnect once the launch problems were cleared. (couple hours after launch time)

I'm playing again heavy after 2.0, like 6 hours a night or more, and only been dropped once.

Shipping sucks. $3.5 but I will bite. Wish stores around here carried it but the nearest is 25 miles away.

Edit: didn't see that Amazon had it on prime.

Last edited:
If only Blizzard would sell their old games on Steam I'd actually spend some money on them. Just not appealing to buy a disc, then lose it after a few years or mess with cd keys, activation, battle.net nonsense...lol

If only Blizzard would sell their old games on Steam I'd actually spend some money on them. Just not appealing to buy a disc, then lose it after a few years or mess with cd keys, activation, battle.net nonsense...lol

Can't you store your keys under your battle.net account? I seem to remember doing that.

All Blizzard games are stored onto your Battle.net account. So once you activate it, you're good to go and never have to worry

BTW to those who are on the fence of buying D3....I just got done playing my 9th hour on a fresh character....and I probably saw a good 8 or so legendary drops....and a metric F ton of rare (yellow) drops. I played Diablo 3 for about 100 hours back during launch....and the drops were NOWHERE near this good....you were literally forced to use the auction house to grab new gear. So I would say give it a try....it's a MUCH MORE fun game now. This is definitely the way it's meant to be played.

They definately seem to have made the loot drops better. That or set it up for returning players to get a lot of decent loot in the first couple of hours. :) I actually got a legendary nagelring within 30minutes. Still burned out on this type of game though. If only they'd kill the online requirement too.

I also had the game push my system hard. Fans going max speed and getting rather high temps compared to other games.

They definately seem to have made the loot drops better. That or set it up for returning players to get a lot of decent loot in the first couple of hours. :) I actually got a legendary nagelring within 30minutes. Still burned out on this type of game though. If only they'd kill the online requirement too.

I also had the game push my system hard. Fans going max speed and getting rather high temps compared to other games.

I'm really happy about the new drop system. I remember them saying at the start that in order to farm act 2, you needed items from act 3, etc... to promote the auction house. Now with that out of the picture, I actually enjoy playing the game rather than freaking about auction house deadlines.

Can't you store your keys under your battle.net account? I seem to remember doing that.

All keys are entered into the battle.net account and once the game is attached you're done. Blizzard can even go and attach different games to your account without you having to add a key, they've done this for some betas.

Blizzard has a battle.net app that's acts similar to the steam client, and is slowly being made a requirement to launch games.

Up until last night there was not even a consideration in my mind that I might get the expansion. Then my son was playing and he was talking about the drops were better than what he farmed at the auction house. So, I jumped on from my current pc crack, Planetside2, and enjoyed it. I mean, I was surprised. With the auction house there was no reason to play, just get some money and play auction house because it beats the drops every time. But then why play because after you get your awesome auction items you still are just farming money to buy crap from the auction house. What's the point in that?
New drop system and no auction house makes it interesting. Hopefully it stays this way.

Well now that this thread came back up. I will add my two cents. Blizzard and Amazon had it for $19.99 but it was free shipping on Amazon because of Prime. Still hasn't shipped a week later. Wonder what is going on.

Well now that this thread came back up. I will add my two cents. Blizzard and Amazon had it for $19.99 but it was free shipping on Amazon because of Prime. Still hasn't shipped a week later. Wonder what is going on.

I went the Amazon route because of the free shipping. It said it would not ship for a couple weeks when I purchased. I got notice this morning shipping had been moved up and this afternoon notice that it had shipped.

Of course people on [H] would be complaining about this game. :rolleyes:

Lol, wat. People are complaining about shipping times/status, not the game itself. Actually the overall feeling is pretty favorable since the Loot 2.0 patch that completely revamped the loot system.

On-topic, kinda wish I had waited and just ordered my second copy straight from Blizzard, rather than pay tax/shipping/etc from GameStop. Oh well.

Lol, wat. People are complaining about shipping times/status, not the game itself. Actually the overall feeling is pretty favorable since the Loot 2.0 patch that completely revamped the loot system.

On-topic, kinda wish I had waited and just ordered my second copy straight from Blizzard, rather than pay tax/shipping/etc from GameStop. Oh well.

Thats what I thought. I'm enjoying the game very much since Loot 2.0.

There are a few people complaining about how "it still isn't worth it" blah, blah, blah. I just wasn't surprised that I see more of those posts here than at other forums.

Back