Diablo 3: Gamer Decisions In Actuality

Even if every single member of [H] stood up and boycotted, we are only 150k people, not enough to make enough of a dent in a game that will sell millions.

We would need at least a million or 2 like minded people to make a sizeable impact.

And before you state it, YES, I am aware of how much money 150,000 x $60 is, 9 million dollars, but that's still a drop in the bucket for them.

Who is "we", you and a couple other whiners on this forum? The only people who constantly complain are piraters or very poor people who can't afford the game anyways and have nothing better to do with their time. $60 is chump change, why waste hours on end bitching about minor flaws and enjoy life eh?

I am not happy with a lot of the decisions they have made with the new one. I am still buying it though because I am a fan of the series. I have decided that Im probably not going to use any of the new services they provide i.e. auction houses, they have no place in Diablo IMO.

Then use the AH to SELL. How does that affect you? You think creating and joining games to trade is better?

Who is "we", you and a couple other whiners on this forum? The only people who constantly complain are piraters or very poor people who can't afford the game anyways and have nothing better to do with their time. $60 is chump change, why waste hours on end bitching about minor flaws and enjoy life eh?

Reading comprehension fail on your part, if you were able to read the paragraph properly, you'd have a greater understanding of what I meant.

If this is beyond your grasp, perhaps ask a neutral 3rd party to interpret it for you.

I am neither a pirate nor broke. Nice try poisoning the well though.

Even if every single member of [H] stood up and boycotted, we are only 150k people, not enough to make enough of a dent in a game that will sell millions.

We would need at least a million or 2 like minded people to make a sizeable impact.

And before you state it, YES, I am aware of how much money 150,000 x $60 is, 9 million dollars, but that's still a drop in the bucket for them.

...Okay... I'm not disagreeing with you here - I've already stated my stance on the issue, though I don't know how this reply relates to my post. We're already aware that we're in the vast minority here and that most people will keep on buying it - probably regardless of what the publishers/devs push our way.

Again though, when they start messing with features or parts of the game that more people seem to care about, I wonder how many will stand their ground and start with the wallet voting, and how many people will just keep buying it regardless.

You and I both know that this is where things are headed.

Definitely buying it on day one. It looks like it's shaping up to be an absolutely fantastic game. No one will care about the few people bitching on forums.

I stick to my principles with the full understanding that my stand may not mean much to those I'm standing against, so Diablo 3 is a definite no for me. I encourage others to do the same, but everyone's principles (or lack thereof) are their own. Millions of people will slurp up whatever Blizzard pours into their trough, but I'd rather support companies who don't treat their customers as livestock. Plus my backlog is monstrous...

The Korean cash stop game model along with requiring an always-online single player (Ubisoft-style) lower its value far below $60. I might play it when it goes F2P or a <$10 deal.

Last edited:
I am reading these discussions about D3 and I don't understand one thing mentioned here or probably on a different thread - will I be able to assign skill points to whatever skill attribute I want? Like in Age of Conan for example?

Buying this day 1 and taking a week off from work. Everything about it so far looks awesome, and I love the real money auction house idea.

It is a Blizzard game. That alone tells you it will be rock solid and tons of fun to play.

Meh, if I dont want game I wont buy game, if I want game, I'll buy it, its not a complicated concept. This boycott thing is stupid IMO, no one cares if you boycott a game. And saying "vote with your wallet" is equally as stupid... how the fuck are you supposed to do anything BUT vote with your wallet? Its a form of entertainment for goodness sake, either you're entertained sufficiently to spend the money or you aren't. lol.

Either the game is worth it or the game isn't worth it. If the DRM reduces its worth, fine, dont buy it, I wont be. But this "boycott" and "vote with your wallet" thing is silly, as if there's some other option than either buying the game or not buying the game (well, there's pirating, but by pirating you're saying it wasn't worth your money for one reason or another). Its not like games are something essential for survival, its not like petrol or bread.

If you boycott a game you want (and actually follow through with it) I highly doubt any developer or publisher is gonna care about the tiny population of genuine boycotters so all you're doing is depriving yourself.

I made my decision awhile back to buy the game even before some of the new details came out. I've enjoyed every Blizzard game since Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.

The Real Money Auction House is still a little nervewracking but I remember items, and characters, being bought and sold since Day 1 of Diablo II. At least Blizzard is making a system to make it a bit more safe for all parties and take a piece of the action themselves. My question on this that I haven't seen an answer to is: what happens when somebody uses stolen credit card to purchase items?

Pfft. It's a Blizzard game. Almost a sure preorder for me. Have not been disappointed by one of their games yet.

My question on this that I haven't seen an answer to is: what happens when somebody uses stolen credit card to purchase items?

What happens any other time somebody purchases ANYTHING with a stolen credit card?

Diablo 3 is a day one purchase for me, hell, it's a pre-order purchase for me.

Internet connection required: no big deal, if my internet is not working, I can find something else to do.

RMAH - No big deal for me, it's completely optional. Hell, with the free postings they give you, maybe I'll make enough every month to pay for my WoW subscription. Double bonus there.

Life is short, enjoy it. The glass is better half full.

It's a philosophical question. There are people who are committed to their ideals and those who just like to bitch when they hear about something they don't like, but don't follow through on empty threats.

Personally, I haven't made up my mind on D3 yet. Gonna wait until I have more info. I tend to stick to my guns when I decide something though. I've only bought one or two CD's in the last decade because I hate the record companies. I haven't bought any CoD game after 4, because they took out LAN play. Due to the way EA does the Battlefield series (no way to host your own server that isn't rented from another company, no way to do actual LAN play, etc), I probably won't ever buy another game in that series.

The only way to change the way companies make games and some of the stupid decisions they have is to vote with your wallet. If you really want to make a difference, stop buying games that are missing features you demand. Or at least wait and buy the game when it's in the bargain bin... ;)

I'll be buying it day one. Blizzard has yet to really disappoint me on a game. None of the things people are complaining about here really effect me that much. I've looked over what is known about the game so far and have decided it looks good enough to buy.

That is my opinion. Just because I do not agree with you doesn't make me wrong.

I might even pre-order it! :)

I dont care about the DRM and other stuff. However, as much as I enjoyed D2... I think D3 is too late and too "new Blizzard" for me to care. Everything they've made since D2: LoD hasn't been able to keep my interest. I played way too much D2 that I'm not sure I can get sucked back into a game that will be so similar.

What made D2 great was that experience of running through top down and mowing down a bunch of monsters with friends to try to get more loot and progress through the game. I'm not sure they can recapture that. It's not a new feeling anymore, it's been done over and over. I don't just want a great refinement of a genre I've played to death which is all blizzard seems to do, I want something new and interesting.

We'll see.

It's a philosophical question. There are people who are committed to their ideals and those who just like to bitch when they hear about something they don't like, but don't follow through on empty threats.

Exactly the point of this thread, which seems to be almost completely lost on most people.

I wasn't asking who the hell is or isn't going to buy the game generally speaking, nor is this thread about boycotting the game.

The point of the thread is, for those who've stated so vehemently that they're definitely "not buying the game" due to Blizzard's decision, whether or not they actually going to stand by that, or end-up caving in the end.

Again, why did I ask such a question? Due to the reason stated in the OP, which is that I've seen countless people make statements regarding not buying a game due to a horrid DRM scheme, who I've ended up seeing posting in threads months later about how great the game is, or how horrible, which, either way, means they're playing the damn thing, and ended up not following-through on their rash statements months before, about not buying the game.

Since there are so many people who are unhappy with Blizzard's decision to require an always-on connection, including myself, I was curious as to how many people were actually going to end up sticking by their word... it's not about boycotting the game.

However, since this thread has turned into a damn disastrous mess of shit, I'll say this: no matter how "good" you net connection is, technology isn't reliable, and even my so-called "reliable" high-speed cable goes out every so often, most of the time for no apparent reason at random times.

If I was in the middle of playing D3, the cable goes out and the games tells me to go fuck myself because I lost my connection, I'd probably end up having to buy a new monitor, because my fist would be through my current one.

Requiring an always-on connection, no matter how you look at it or how you want to "justify" it, including "net connections rarely go out", is just simply bullshit, period.

Do I want to play the game? Absolutely. Do I want to deal with the bullshit of not having a net connection interfering with playing the game? Absolutely not, and when you cant even LAN a Diablo title, which is one of the staples of the god damn series, there's no way I'm dropping $60 on a game that requires me to have a net connection just to play the fucking thing. It's not an MMO, and there's no true LAN, since you have to have an online connection... that's just makes it online co-op.

There's no excuse for such a heavy-handed DRM, and when a game has a single-player component, especially, then it becomes exactly the situation of basically paying to "rent" a game, and that's bullshit.

But, the internet is forever, right? Right... cant wait to see what happens when someone, who's connection rarely goes out, loses their connection out of nowhere for what ever reason, and their stuck with a $60 fucking "paperweight"... where will your high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou, Blizzard apologist attitude be then? As you end up playing Torchlight 2...

Originally Posted by Valshistixol

This is one of most retarded threads I've ever seen.

Really? So, you never get tired of seeing post after post, in thread after thread, of people raging with their "I refuse to buy this game" mentality, just to end up caving in the end, after polluting these forums with their bullshit for months on end? Or are you just one of the hypocrites I'm talking about, and feel offended by this thread?

People spout far too much bullshit in general, and it's fucking tiresome. Over and over, the supposed "hardcore gaming crowd", with their "mighty opinions" being the "final word"... it's fucking out of control around here; only so that, in the end, the same fuck-heads who rant and rave consistently about not buying a game due to the DRM scheme, and making a massive stink about it everywhere they can, end up buying the fucking thing in the end, regardless.

It's easy to piss-and-moan on forums where there's no accountability, so I'm "calling out" all the loud mouths, to find out who actually is going to end-up standing by their word. I'm asking people to do something that most without honor or a backbone, which is too many in this world, don't do: have the balls to stand by their word and to be honest as to whether or not they truly will... two things most people cant do in this world anymore.

*snip*Rabble rabble rabble

Honestly man at least on these forums everybody I've talk to has stuck to their guns, but I rarely see anybody "boycott" anything except Kyle. We just choose not to buy a game. I know everybody keeps sighting that Steam MW2 Boycott group, but come on that was stupid anybody could join it. If they could make a steam group that requires you to never own a game thatd be great, but I don't think Valve would like that very much.

Is there somebody here or somewhere else thats being a hypocrite and raging you up?

Comparing yourself to the Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae for not buying a frikkin' video game?

Doctor, I think we have a case here of severe delusions of grandeur, combined with an epic lack of perspective. :rolleyes:

Comparing yourself to the Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae for not buying a frikkin' video game?

Doctor, I think we have a case here of severe delusions of grandeur, combined with an epic lack of perspective. :rolleyes:
I think the point of a metaphor is to compare two things that are unlike to show a small area in which they are alike. You're assigning a literal interpretation to a figurative comparison.

If he had said "games are going to hell in a handbasket", would you be saying things like "I'm not sure there is a hell, and who uses handbaskets anymore? Are you seriously comparing the gaming industry to Satan's domain?"

They are absolutely nothing alike. You have a thread in which people's statements on whether they will or will not buy a game are being used to judge a person's character and worth, and then you have ridiculous over the top statements like that added on to it.

They are absolutely nothing alike. You have a thread in which people's statements on whether they will or will not buy a game are being used to judge a person's character and worth, and then you have ridiculous over the top statements like that added on to it.
It was one small sentence in a much longer post. He was just saying that it's small group versus a big one in a hopeless cause that he'll fight anyway. It's not like he was suggesting that we all take up shields and swords and stab people. You're taking it too literally.

It was one small sentence in a much longer post. He was just saying that it's small group versus a big one in a hopeless cause that he'll fight anyway. It's not like he was suggesting that we all take up shields and swords and stab people. You're taking it too literally.

No actually I'm reading behind it and not taking it literally at all. I don't think he is going to take up sword and shield; I find it ridiculous that somehow he feels his stance puts him on the same moral footing as the 300 Spartans, and everyone who disagrees with him is a mindless slave controlled by a dictator.

Personally I like the always-online DRM. This should mean that Blizzard has tabs on every piece of loot in the game, and can crack down on people trying to dupe and exploit much easier.

They could have made the system similar to D2 where you had Battlenet, open Battlenet, and singleplayer; that worked pretty well. Regardless of what they do, there will always be people trying to cheat in one way or another.

For those who are taking issue with the persistent online access, would you still have an issue with this if Diablo 3 were marketed and presented as a purely multiplayer game? Do consider this to also be an issue with more traditional MMOs, such as WoW? Do you consider this to be an issue with Guild Wars, and likely the upcoming Guild Wars 2?

I asked this same question earlier in the thread and no one responded, so I am glad you reraised it. This is the biggest question for all these "boycotters." Diablo 3 added a number of changes (most of which I think are for the better) which now require it to be online all the time. This isn't like Ubisoft putting a Prince of Persia game online all the time; this is like WoW or Guild Wars being an online-only game. For example:

The Auction House -- if the game was not online only, this could not exist. The game has to be online for item generation to prevent hacks and duping. I see some people bitching about the real money auction house, but very few people bitching about the gold based one, and both require the game to be online all the time to work properly. In hardcore mode, the only AH is the gold based one, and I consider that to be a substantial improvement over player trading, and thus a substantial improvement to the game. This could not exist without being online all the time.

I'll take my persistent character, auction house, unification/elimination of open, closed, and single player diablo, and crackdown on bots, dupers, and hackers in exchange for being online-only. I find it interesting that everyone complaining about it being online only are complaining about it on an online-only interent forum. Take to the streets, brothers!

They could have made the system similar to D2 where you had Battlenet, open Battlenet, and singleplayer; that worked pretty well. Regardless of what they do, there will always be people trying to cheat in one way or another.

open bnet was the reason d2 had bunch of bugged items online

BLAH BLAH WORDS WORDS

Really? So, you never get tired of seeing post after post, in thread after thread, of people raging with their "I refuse to buy this game" mentality, just to end up caving in the end, after polluting these forums with their bullshit for months on end? Or are you just one of the hypocrites I'm talking about, and feel offended by this thread?

MORE WORDS

I don't plan on buying Diablo 3 unless I have a way of playing non-hardcore without IRL money transactions. Honestly I haven't been that excited about it since it was announced, no stat points, not made by Blizzard North, WoW style art (which is great in WoW, which I play, but not Diablo. I still to this day think that D2 is one of the coolest looking games ever released), no health potions, so on and so forth. I don't think the game has a rat's chance in hell of capturing me like Diablo 2 did. I already got burned on SC2 where bnet2.0 has all but crushed most of the custom maps since you can't get a map populated past page 2 of most popular.

Guild Wars 2, Natural Selection 2, Battlefield 3, and Torchlight 2 are almost done, I'll have plenty to do.

I also don't care what other people buy, people are dumb.

I find it ridiculous that somehow he feels his stance puts him on the same moral footing as the 300 Spartans, and everyone who disagrees with him is a mindless slave controlled by a dictator.

Yeah that's the kind of attitude I've seen from a few posters here. The whole "bend over and take it" and "eat up whatever shit they feed us" attitude is rather silly, and generally demonstrates a lack of understanding the wide scope of things (not because of those specific statements they made, but other statements made regarding a particular issue). That said, most people here have a much better understanding of the situation and voiced their distaste in various ways (both in hostility and disappointment). Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah that's the kind of attitude I've seen from a few posters here. The whole "bend over and take it" and "eat up whatever shit they feed us" attitude is rather silly, and generally demonstrates a lack of understanding the wide scope of things (not because of those specific statements they made, but other statements made regarding a particular issue). That said, most people here have a much better understanding of the situation and voiced their distaste in various ways (both in hostility and disappointment). Nothing wrong with that.

There's lots of irony to be found within this post.

No not really. Just because someone is going to buy the game does not make them sheep. Just because someone does not buy this game does not mean they are doing it for the good of the industry.

Please get real, stop thinking your opinion is the only one that matters people.

Will buy, if good.

Prideful game purchase restrictions = need new healthy hobby.

I'll buy the game just like I did on Duke Nukem Forever. I could careless what other people think about the game I like to play. I play the game to have fun and to escape from problematic reality (economy wise).

LOL did you play D2? Worked well my ass.

The single player part did, but obviously there were many issues online. I'm actually glad they are fixing the online portion, I'll probably play a little bit online. I would like an offline separate single player character, though.

Do you expect the 'always online' part of D3 to work any better? Instead of hacked items, we'll have bots running rampant, we'll have them whispering and spamming for us to go buy their real money auction. I'd rather have a system like Diablo 2, where you can play offline and avoid the shit altogether, now we are all being corralled onto Bnet where we are at Blizzard's mercy to block the bots, and spam.

Do you expect the 'always online' part of D3 to work any better? Instead of hacked items, we'll have bots running rampant, we'll have them whispering and spamming for us to go buy their real money auction. I'd rather have a system like Diablo 2, where you can play offline and avoid the shit altogether, now we are all being corralled onto Bnet where we are at Blizzard's mercy to block the bots, and spam.

You know, in a rather indirect way, you just fucking perfectly described the transition from CoD 4 being dedicated servers of your liking to MW2 going to IWNet

Back