Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I think it makes more sense to have diminishing returns than it does to have a hard cap.

Isn't the whole point of having infinite paragon levels and points you can rearrange those to balance your character against gear?

I get what they're trying to do. Stop some guy from stacking crit to the point of having 80-90%, but at the other end of the spectrum the hard cap prevents people from min maxing.

As an example, someone could intentionally have no points put into attack speed, but then have all their gear put into attack speed and their points into crit. Having a soft limitation with diminishing returns would make it so that placing points into alternate skills or alternate gear would deter as greater damage or eHP would then be gainable elsewhere while still not making points above useless.

Looks like you'll need to earn Loot Run "tickets", so the standard form of grinding will probably still be the main game.

I just picked up this game and just got to level 10 last night.

I'm playing a Barbarian and am having a lot of fun, but I've noticed a couple things about my active skills that I wanted to get some feedback on.

1) Cleave with the Rupture rune seems to be a much better active skill than bash, because I am dealing with swarms much more frequently than single enemies. I switch when I think I need to, but generally just leave this set

2)Hammer of the Ancients with Rolling Thunder seems like a better active skill. While Rend does a lot more damage, it's DOT and most of the time I'm killing things faster than 5 seconds.

3)I find myself using Ground Stomp all the time- the stun is very nice. I've never really tried Leap... so I can't compare right now.

4)Ancient Spear seems really underwhelming for such an incredibly long cooldown time

For passive skills, I went with Ruthless, but now I'm starting to reconsider. I never seemed in danger of dying until I found the fallen star and started the following quest. Out in that field I've died twice- both times because I caught so much damage that I didn't have any time to pop a potion before I was dead. Makes me think Pound of Flesh might be better for right now.

Also, are the green gas clouds poison? If so, then that might explain part of the sudden massive damage I've suffered in that area.

Yep just pick which ever skill you find the most bad ass....In which case start over and do a Tempest Rush Bell monk....Bong.

I just picked up this game and just got to level 10 last night.

I'm playing a Barbarian and am having a lot of fun, but I've noticed a couple things about my active skills that I wanted to get some feedback on.

1) Cleave with the Rupture rune seems to be a much better active skill than bash, because I am dealing with swarms much more frequently than single enemies. I switch when I think I need to, but generally just leave this set

2)Hammer of the Ancients with Rolling Thunder seems like a better active skill. While Rend does a lot more damage, it's DOT and most of the time I'm killing things faster than 5 seconds.

3)I find myself using Ground Stomp all the time- the stun is very nice. I've never really tried Leap... so I can't compare right now.

4)Ancient Spear seems really underwhelming for such an incredibly long cooldown time

For passive skills, I went with Ruthless, but now I'm starting to reconsider. I never seemed in danger of dying until I found the fallen star and started the following quest. Out in that field I've died twice- both times because I caught so much damage that I didn't have any time to pop a potion before I was dead. Makes me think Pound of Flesh might be better for right now.

Also, are the green gas clouds poison? If so, then that might explain part of the sudden massive damage I've suffered in that area.

Yep, just use whatever you feel is best as you level up; the real "builds" don't really start until 60 when you start getting Nephalem Valor stacks for killing elites and your gear is more focused. Also, yes those clouds from the "vicious trees" are high-potency poison and are very dangerous at all levels of the game.

Pound of Flesh is actually a really good passive if you don't have great gear; I completed the game on Inferno with fairly crappy gear running a Birthright + Grim Harvest + Pound of Flesh build (something like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZRQUg!Yae!YcYbYb), and if you're using the AH a lot of "bonus to health globes" items aren't expensive.

Ancient Spear is indeed underwhelming in most builds except for a "Throw Barb" using the No Escape passive. With enough crit chance and the No Escape passive it can be pretty good (a Three Hundredth Spear helps too).

Finally, I just thought I'd mention that Sprint - Gangway has become my favorite HC escape skill for my Barbs. As long as you can take one step in any direction you can pop Sprint and get the hell outta Dodge even if you're walled in or blocked off by enemies (or both).

I'm not playing as much as I did before, but it's still lots of fun playing a session from time to time. I've reached a ceiling with my DH on MP5 (softcore, I have too many lockups on my comp to play hardcore, at least once every few days) But it's fun, I always need to be active and on the move.

I love the monster density when playing as a DH. I hope Loot runs and Act 5 in Reaper of Souls will also have area's with huge mobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeAkck9G5U&feature=youtu.be

Yep just pick which ever skill you find the most bad ass....In which case start over and do a Tempest Rush Bell monk....Bong.

Done this. Was fun as fuck too. Especially hitting mobs of 40 +/- with 1.4Mil crits

Done this. Was fun as fuck too. Especially hitting mobs of 40 +/- with 1.4Mil crits

Yep its crazy amounts of fun. Low damage high speed attacks have just never done it for me I like to drop bombs and move fast while doing it.....Luckily for Monk players you get both options.

I'm not playing as much as I did before, but it's still lots of fun playing a session from time to time. I've reached a ceiling with my DH on MP5 (softcore, I have too many lockups on my comp to play hardcore, at least once every few days) But it's fun, I always need to be active and on the move.

I love the monster density when playing as a DH. I hope Loot runs and Act 5 in Reaper of Souls will also have area's with huge mobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeAkck9G5U&feature=youtu.be

Whats the build on that DH? You're just standing there without a scratch.

Whats the build on that DH? You're just standing there without a scratch.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JH24-2152/hero/30618442

It's mainly because of Gloom and Ball Lightning. Damage reduction + 15% Life Steal from Gloom helps the DH "tanking" white mobs/some Elites. However, without Gloom my DH could easily get one/two-shotted during a fight, especially from Elites like those at the start of the video, and even with Gloom I still need to move around a lot.

Most of the gear on the DH came from a Monk, which I started playing early this year. The DH was created two/three months ago.

Punishment/Bat Companion help with Hatred, Vengeance + Pick Up Radius help with both Hatred and Discipline, Nightstalker refills Discipline on Critical Hits and the Perfectionist Passive helps with survival and reduces Discipline cost.

Last edited:
You can tank with a dh with caltraps + jagged edge + numbing traps and focus everything else on damage if you have enough ar + armor + life steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Slade-1404/hero/5315249

This build is mp7 efficient, and mp10 capable. (Just barely under rage timer solo)

This is stupid fun in large mobs where spray of teeth can bring up damage up to 400k on a crit for me on 1 target + 50% wd to all surrounding enemies so say ~100k per enemy and in a mob... 1 mill dps is quite possible. The bolts are used to mitigate damage along with the caltraps + numbing and the rain of vengence, when fighting some elite pairs or certain fire chain/plague/fire/desecrator combos, you can only regain so much life and standing still is the only time you can attack. To put in perspective, elites do 7-9k damage per solid hit in mp10, but my life regen/steal puts me around 6-7k per second.

Last edited:
^

Very nice build. Looks fun too. I've tried working with Calltrops before but I found it at times a bit unpredictable, but I think I'm going to give your build a try as well. Thanks for the tip.

Interesting proposed change

*Life Steal is less effective when you are higher level.
*At level 60, Life Steal gains a 0.10x multiplier.
*At level 70, Life Steal no longer functions.
http://www.diablofans.com/news/2085...-passive-effects-item-graphics-and-much-more/

I remember seeing an designer article talking about health in the game. He didnt want to make the damage/health restore "spiky" because that will make all the small hits irrelevant. Going from full to dead in a second, or near-dead to full in a second isnt fun. Taking away life steal will allow possibilities and mechanics where your depending on gear to survive rather than skill.

Maybe they can bring back that nostalgic feel of old school rpgs where you have to manage your resources for an entire dungeon run, not just a bunch of separate skirmishes that reset between battles. It would definitely go against the norm ARPG formula.

Edit: also just noticed the picture of skills that shows a 4th passive. That will give a lot of build diversity!

Noticed something interesting in my game last night.

During my Normal run for my Barbarian, I had 2 legendary weapons drop during the same large scale encounter in the oasis. It was a large group of assorted demons with a gold mob and a pack of blues, as well as assorted other mobs of lesser levels.

I'm now playing through on Nightmare, hit the oasis, and had a near mirror encounter at the same area. Result of the encounter: 2 legendary weapons dropped. Are there hard coded areas for legendary drops in the console version or something? (I'm on the 360) It just seems strange to have something so similar happen again.

Interesting proposed change
http://www.diablofans.com/news/2085...-passive-effects-item-graphics-and-much-more/

I remember seeing an designer article talking about health in the game. He didnt want to make the damage/health restore "spiky" because that will make all the small hits irrelevant. Going from full to dead in a second, or near-dead to full in a second isnt fun. Taking away life steal will allow possibilities and mechanics where your depending on gear to survive rather than skill.

I think the way Path of Exile handles life steal is excellent - you can only regen a certain percentage of your total health per second via life steal. This keeps max life / defense important while still letting life steal do its job.

As long as life steal exists as a fixed percentage of your damage done with no limit, it will always become overpowered as gear inflates.

I was going to say removing Life Steal will completely suck because I don't have any life on hit gear. But with Loot 2.0 I'm going to be replacing 100% of my gear so it doesn't matter.

If they remove life steal by the same same logic they should be changing reflect damage.

Just removing Life steal doesn't help make builds less gear dependent. Life on hit and Life per second will just be the new gear dependent stats.

Its been over a month since I have logged in and my friends have finally stopped inviting me into games. Getting excited for PoE and can't go a single day without thinking of DarkSouls 2. D3's expansion occupies zero of my thoughts currently.

Anyone still playing this game? I re-started playing this game again like last week and just got done normal mode. I'm hoping to get someone to help me out to run through the act 1 and 2 on nightmare. I hate those acts :(. If anyone interested or bored enough to help out lol.. let me know. :D

I think everyone (or most) are waiting for Loot2.0 at least, if not for the full expansion itself. No reason to grind a huge amount right now knowing vastly improved loot and drop rates are coming...

I think everyone (or most) are waiting for Loot2.0 at least, if not for the full expansion itself. No reason to grind a huge amount right now knowing vastly improved loot and drop rates are coming...

This.

Plus I'm a bit burned out after loosing my 4th HC monk to lag.

I know quite a few people who are playing and loving the console version....All casual gamers which was likely the objective.

Simply put, the console version is the better game right now. As someone who did not expect it to be very good and purchased it under pressure from my girlfriend (Barry and Barbara the Barbarians are our characters, lol) I was pleasantly surprised.

Once they get the PC version up to par with the updates I'll be all over it again

oddly enough, last week I had an urge to play this game again (grind) after months of inactivity...

My enthusiam lasted 1 quick key run in a1 and haven't touched or didn't think of the game in it's current form since :D

This.

I fire it up every once in a while but Im pretty much waiting for at least loot2.0 before i start grinding again.

Right now, I just just want to get unlock the inferno mode for my Barbarian so when the new expansion and new character, I can use something for farming while grinding again with the new character. But I know a lot of people dont have the urge to play this game at current state. Sucks that It was once a good game and all ruined it cuz of that RMAH and lag. :(

IMO

Item design is the core issue. There are other issues but when you put those issues up against the issue of item design they look very very small in comparison.

Though one could argue that if they allowed the game to be open, like Warcraft 3, then the community would have fixed the item issues and created alternative play modes. So locking the game down could also bee seen as the biggest issue depending on your perspective.

I'm looking for people to help paragon up with. I'm currently grinding at MP10 so just send me a PM and we will exchange information!

Simply put, the console version is the better game right now. As someone who did not expect it to be very good and purchased it under pressure from my girlfriend (Barry and Barbara the Barbarians are our characters, lol) I was pleasantly surprised.

Once they get the PC version up to par with the updates I'll be all over it again

I finally got over to my buddy's and we had a D3 marathon night.

The game is definitely better on console... in the one evening we saw 3 legendaries drop.

But the loot drops are not all. There's all sorts of extra polish on the UI and shit.

Get this: The console version has a game browser...

Shit is so back asswards.

The game is definitely better on console... in the one evening we saw 3 legendaries drop.

But the loot drops are not all. There's all sorts of extra polish on the UI and shit.

I know 2 couples who play in a party of 4 and it sounds like a blast. If I had friends I'd play console for sure.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11516518 ... adventure mode sounds pretty nice (watching the stream in the virtual ticket for Blizzcon) ... should make loot runs much more interesting ... might have to get back into the game next year :)

Looks like they added Path of Exile mode to the game also. But with better animations of course. Copying is the best form of flattery as PoE copies D2 a ton also. :)

Blizzard...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11516518 ... adventure mode sounds pretty nice (watching the stream in the virtual ticket for Blizzcon) ... should make loot runs much more interesting ... might have to get back into the game next year :)

And people wonder why other human beings go crazy and shoot/kill other people.

Why, under any circumstance, should you be excited for features that should have existed from release?

p.s. "flattery" via PoE isn't exactly pertinent when the D3 / D3X team have absolutely zero ties to D2, aside from the parent company. ( that clearly has no interest in preserving the ideals of the genre).

Honestly I'm a little upset this thread got necro'd for this of all things.

And people wonder why other human beings go crazy and shoot/kill other people.

Why, under any circumstance, should you be excited for features that should have existed from release?

7ckf.jpg

hemad.jpg

Back