Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Up until Friday, I had only found a single legendary (lvl 13, week of launch). Since Saturday, I have found 4. 3 of them were worthless, but one was a legenary wizard source that I sold for 20m gold. Also over the weekend, I found a couple 1H rares that sold for 7m combined. Since Sunday evening, the drops have returned to the normal crap.

At this point, I was sitting on money and wanted to upgrade some gear. Looking at some legendary gear, I noticed that I would lose an auction at like 18m and minutes later the item would be posted for sale by the buyer for 25m. It seems like people are keeping the prices artificially high on this stuff by buying and reselling. I saw this happen many times. I finally got frustrated and cashed out all my remaining gold and gems on the RMAH for gold old USD. I figure this game will get less time from me once Borderlands 2 hits, so I don't want my stuff sitting there depreciating.

Good rares are no longer selling, so the only way to afford great gear is to either buy on the RMAH or find a good legendary and sell it. Since good legendaries are hard to come by, that leaves the RMAH.

The economy in the game is starting to look more and more broken for the average player. Since the entire game seems built around the AH economy, I may be done with the game soon. I am addicted so I still play, but I have quit looking to buy new gear. I only play to sell gear, and cash out on the RMAH. The irony is that my sell-only behavior only hurts the economy that I am already complaining about.

Still have not found a single legendary and never had more than 2.5m gold since launch. Why do I even still play

Up until Friday, I had only found a single legendary (lvl 13, week of launch). Since Saturday, I have found 4. 3 of them were worthless, but one was a legenary wizard source that I sold for 20m gold. Also over the weekend, I found a couple 1H rares that sold for 7m combined. Since Sunday evening, the drops have returned to the normal crap.

At this point, I was sitting on money and wanted to upgrade some gear. Looking at some legendary gear, I noticed that I would lose an auction at like 18m and minutes later the item would be posted for sale by the buyer for 25m. It seems like people are keeping the prices artificially high on this stuff by buying and reselling. I saw this happen many times. I finally got frustrated and cashed out all my remaining gold and gems on the RMAH for gold old USD. I figure this game will get less time from me once Borderlands 2 hits, so I don't want my stuff sitting there depreciating.

Good rares are no longer selling, so the only way to afford great gear is to either buy on the RMAH or find a good legendary and sell it. Since good legendaries are hard to come by, that leaves the RMAH.

The economy in the game is starting to look more and more broken for the average player. Since the entire game seems built around the AH economy, I may be done with the game soon. I am addicted so I still play, but I have quit looking to buy new gear. I only play to sell gear, and cash out on the RMAH. The irony is that my sell-only behavior only hurts the economy that I am already complaining about.

Kulle Story brah!

It's actually the opposite, it has never been easier for the average player to gear up for inferno. Super high MF or 6-figure DPS? yeah thats still expensive, but getting a good starter set and act 3/4 clear worthy is much much cheaper than before. People complained about drop rates, so they increased them for everyone, did you expect better drop rates for you personally but no one else so you can start making money? You made 30m in a weekend and you're still complaining about earning gold from sales?

Still have not found a single legendary and never had more than 2.5m gold since launch. Why do I even still play

That is a good question. If you aren't having fun playing a video game, then dont play it, it's not a hard concept. Pre-1.0.4 i got tired of the game and stopped playing it, but picked it back up with paragon levels. I dont get why people announce to the world that they stopped playing like they're now sticking it to the man or something like that.

It's actually the opposite, it has never been easier for the average player to gear up for inferno. Super high MF or 6-figure DPS? yeah thats still expensive, but getting a good starter set and act 3/4 clear worthy is much much cheaper than before. People complained about drop rates, so they increased them for everyone, did you expect better drop rates for you personally but no one else so you can start making money? You made 30m in a weekend and you're still complaining about earning gold from sales?

That is a good question. If you aren't having fun playing a video game, then dont play it, it's not a hard concept. Pre-1.0.4 i got tired of the game and stopped playing it, but picked it back up with paragon levels. I dont get why people announce to the world that they stopped playing like they're now sticking it to the man or something like that.

Don't think he's quitting. Seemed more like a person lamenting his bad RNG on drops to others that still play. He just wanted to vent some frustration using s public forum and you misinterpreted it as him quitting. He just wanted to connect with others that can understand what's he going through.

I can sympathize with his as I only got one legendary in 200+ hours of playing myself. I killed every elite pack and never skipped one no matter how hard it was. I've only played like 30 minutes since the last patch so I can't say what happens in the game now. But I do know you can play for 200+ hours and never get a decent drop including rare drops.

RNG is forever RNG. But if you like the game then hunting for that needle in the haystack never gets old. But it can be darn elusive! :)

And good luck to me picking up a Witching Hour drop from the floor as the number of legendaries I have gained since 1.0.4 landed is exacty one chicken egg.

I can pretty much emphatize with jasonrb here but then again with the endgame content made easier, people are less interested in buying minor upgrades and saving for something closer to best in slot gear.

Ah well, there's always Borderlands 2 if nothing worth a damn drops for me the rest of this week.

And good luck to me picking up a Witching Hour drop from the floor as the number of legendaries I have gained since 1.0.4 landed is exacty one chicken egg.

I can pretty much emphatize with jasonrb here but then again with the endgame content made easier, people are less interested in buying minor upgrades and saving for something closer to best in slot gear.

Ah well, there's always Borderlands 2 if nothing worth a damn drops for me the rest of this week.

Get some MF gear. I'm swapping to 375% for kills, and I've gotten at least one legendary every dya for the last week.

I found one of those over the weekend. I could sell mine for at least 60 million but the extra 10k dps it gives me is well worth it.

Good luck getting the 50 million that belt cost its worth it if you have 30+ crit chance.

Thanks! Even worst roll belt should net me 11k dps upgrade. If I can snag one and an occy, I'd break 110k, then maybe I'd look at some more survival :)

2 questions for electrocute; does it not proc Life on Hit? For some reason last night I switched to a weird build using electrocute, and it didn't seem to give me any health. Also, using the Paralysis passive, I didn't see anything getting paralyzed, unless it so too subtle to notice.

Build:
Electrocute (+1AP/hit glyph)
Meteor (Cold dmg glyph)
Frost hydra
Diamond Skin (double absorb glyph)
Magic weapon (blood glyph)
Energy Armor (+5 crit glyph)

Passives: Glass Cannon, Cold Blooded, Arcane Prodigy (? +20, +2 AP regen)

It's actually pretty fun, but it's not a good solo'ing spec at all. I usually play with friends who roll barbs or monks though, so it ends up working fairly well. Currently at about 60k DPS with 50% crit and 220% crit damage. Trying to find a high DPS 1H with +crit, socket and LOH...they're all incredibly expensive, doubt I'll get an upgrade to what I have anytime soon (800 DPS, +616 LOH, socket, +160 INT).

Yeah, it's definitley YMMV.

on another note: http://d3up.com is an up and coming site where you can import your character data from the Armory and get a pretty useful readout. I'm not sure if anyone is already using it, but go ahead and check it out. I don't know about the whole builds sharing thing going on, but as far as importing your character and using it to judge and upgrade your gear, it's much more user friendly than the excel spreadsheets i was using before.
I imported my character, but can't see exactly how to tell how my EHP is calculating, and whether all res or vitality is better.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HCBigAug-1950/hero/13096131

That's a link to my SC wizard. I haven't played him in months. See if there is anything you can use on there.
Thanks for the offer, though i can't really use any. MF is so much more important now, i'm trying to add it back in. I've really played this game backwards. Before 1.0.4 when i was just hitting 60, i went full force in getting high MF... was at about 280 unbuffed, but my damage sucked. Then after the patch, when MF became more useful, i dropped it down to 80 because i was tired of sucking, and wanted to pick up crit. Now i've scaled my dps back down to 30k or so, but got my MF back up a little, to 150 or so. It's really annoying... in order to gain MF, i have to lose dps because i can't afford good MF items :(
Get some MF gear. I'm swapping to 375% for kills, and I've gotten at least one legendary every dya for the last week.

Can you go into detail as to how exactly you swap gear? I assume you just have a whole set in your bag and you change it all at the last minute... but this seems like a major pita.

2 questions for electrocute; does it not proc Life on Hit? For some reason last night I switched to a weird build using electrocute, and it didn't seem to give me any health. Also, using the Paralysis passive, I didn't see anything getting paralyzed, unless it so too subtle to notice.

Build:
Meteor (Cold dmg glyph)
Frost hydra

It's actually pretty fun, but it's not a good solo'ing spec at all. I usually play with friends who roll barbs or monks though, so it ends up working fairly well. Currently at about 60k DPS with 50% crit and 220% crit damage. Trying to find a high DPS 1H with +crit, socket and LOH...they're all incredibly expensive, doubt I'll get an upgrade to what I have anytime soon (800 DPS, +616 LOH, socket, +160 INT).

I believe the coefficient for electrocute is 12%, so each hit will give smaller than what your actual loh shows.. It's low because the increased attack speed of the signature skill, and the fact that it hits more mobs. This also means the 8% paralysis actually only has a 0.96% chance of proccing on any hit, again also designed to balance around the speed and number of mobs it hits. This is why I don't use critical mass with it.

I imported my character, but can't see exactly how to tell how my EHP is calculating, and whether all res or vitality is better.

Thanks for the offer, though i can't really use any. MF is so much more important now, i'm trying to add it back in. I've really played this game backwards. Before 1.0.4 when i was just hitting 60, i went full force in getting high MF... was at about 280 unbuffed, but my damage sucked. Then after the patch, when MF became more useful, i dropped it down to 80 because i was tired of sucking, and wanted to pick up crit. Now i've scaled my dps back down to 30k or so, but got my MF back up a little, to 150 or so. It's really annoying... in order to gain MF, i have to lose dps because i can't afford good MF items :(

Can you go into detail as to how exactly you swap gear? I assume you just have a whole set in your bag and you change it all at the last minute... but this seems like a major pita.

It is, I had a full set swap when I was in act 1. It's even easier now because mobs don't reset health, so there's time to run out(ie cemetery of the forsaken) of the zone to safely swap. I used to do this until paragon levels came out, then I went for killing speed. High dps will make up for lower mf because I clear rooms in a second. This also means my exp gain is good too for paragon level.

My end goal is to max mf at around paragon 66. This means I only need an extra 100 paragon between my follower(currently gives me 20 something) and me, so like 4 pieces with mf.

Build:
Meteor (Cold dmg glyph)
Frost hydra

I'm not really sure where the inflection point is for loh vs life steal, but I just passed the 70K dps mark on my barb and life steal seems to be more beneficial now. I only have 190 LoH, and I roll through A3 without dying. But if your getting up there >60K dps, I would suggest giving that a try if you can. The reason I say this is b/c weapons with life steal are much cheaper than loh.

And another benefit of life steal is that its not static like LoH is. LoH will never go up, always stays the same. But we all pretty much shoot for increasing one thing, and thats dps. Well when you increase your dps, life steal also increases.

Google "Diablo 3 MF Gear Swap"

I personally think gear swappin is dumb. I mean, pretty much every thread I see on reddit where someone has gotten a legendary, they got it off of some trash mob monster. Its RNG. They can come from anywhere, so the probability that you are going to get it off of monster that outnumbers elites and bosses probably 100 to 1 is pretty good. So thats the way I see it, you're probably swapping for only .01% of the monsters you're killing which is probably having a neglibible effect.

I think I've gotten close to ten since patch and I can only recall one that came off an elite.

I personally think gear swappin is dumb. I mean, pretty much every thread I see on reddit where someone has gotten a legendary, they got it off of some trash mob monster. Its RNG. They can come from anywhere, so the probability that you are going to get it off of monster that outnumbers elites and bosses probably 100 to 1 is pretty good. So thats the way I see it, you're probably swapping for only .01% of the monsters you're killing which is probably having a neglibible effect.

I think I've gotten close to ten since patch and I can only recall one that came off an elite.

I've gotten 10 in a week and all came from eilites *shrug*

Also, I've stock piled about 150 unid ilvl 63's since Friday.

might as well id them now and get over the disappointment :) Unless you stocking them for someone elses disappointment :)

might as well id them now and get over the disappointment :) Unless you stocking them for someone elses disappointment :)

Yea, I'm kind of addicted to collecting them now. I don't know what I'll do with them. I might buy another account or two and just save up 1000 or so. *facepalm*

Build:
Meteor (Cold dmg glyph)
Frost hydra

I never found LOH good for a wizard, I much prefer Life per Second, because as a wizard with no shield no matter what you do.....Some times you just have to run and you don't gain life while running.

Which is why I love using Sky Splitter. Adds Smite (which is pretty much stun) and Life per second.

Electrocute doesn't stun very well.....But living lightning does....Couldn't find a video of people using it without frost nova though.....Here is a little fun one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4LSZy6qik

I'm confused by that video... do you have any idea what his crit was before he switched to his dmg gear? He only had 2k dps, yet frost nova was up every second?

edit: according to the comments, the build was nerfed.

Go to your characters build page and there will be tabs on the right:

12gEo.png

The EHP tab has a bunch of EHP related info, if you want the actual formulas , i think you're gonna have to look elsewhere

I'm confused by that video... do you have any idea what his crit was before he switched to his dmg gear? He only had 2k dps, yet frost nova was up every second?

edit: according to the comments, the build was nerfed.

yeah it doesn't work nearly that good anymore after attack speed and proc nerfs....but it still works much better than electrocute. But the 8 % from the passive alone isn't enough to make much of a difference. but add that in with some other effects and it works out pretty good. If I wasn't too lazy I'd make a video.

I can stun lock down white groups ( have to play multiplier for them to have enough life) with just living lightning. Mobs, depending on the mob, I'd say are about 30% slowed down/attack interrupted. All while having unlimited Dimond Skin.

And what's your crit at, stevedave?

Go to your characters build page and there will be tabs on the right:

12gEo.png

The EHP tab has a bunch of EHP related info, if you want the actual formulas , i think you're gonna have to look elsewhere

Thanks a ton for this, i can't wait to get home and look!!

That's quite interesting. I've been thinking of using Shock Pulse: Fire Bolts for its strength. I messed with it in the past and I might do so again. Seeing that it has a good proc coefficient looks great too. The only major flaw I can think of with my current build (with living lightning) is that it's utterly horrible against high health single targets, particularly treasure goblins. It's also horrible burst, so I consider myself dead when I run into fallen maniacs without Archon up. I recently realized that my crit is high enough that my Energy Twisters can almost sustain themselves after a short period, so LL isn't as mission critical as it used to be. I'll look into how other heavy hitting signature spells work with Energy Twister to see what feels most comfortable for me.

oh wow, did anyone happen to notice how cheap the 6 Property Plans got?

Were talking 1m for 6 prop gloves plan/recipe.

i went ahead and bought them and started crafting about a hundred, and surprisingly i'm going to make my plan+mats money back (hint: very lucky trifecta! [i hate that word :eek:] )

Interesting. I still only have the 6 prop shoulders from a long time ago (actually found 2, sold the 2nd one for over 10M yessss). I made a little money off of them but never really committed to some real crafting sessions. The sheer cost of crafting is still a real killer for me though.

Time to go on a tangent. I dislike the artificial gold sinks they've implemented into the crafting system, including gem combining. I wish they'd just make it free or extremely cheap so that we can just make items on a whim whenever we find our own mats. That's what I liked doing in D2. Find gems by chance, transmute, trade for something better later. This should raise the value of the commodities themselves, which seems way better IMO. Right now, gems barely sell for the price of their total transmute costs and mats unless they're very high tier. Originally, there was an entire tier of gems that ended up getting removed (round, flawless round, perfect round, radiant round gems). Those should make a return to keep demand for flawless square gems high due to the sheer volume required.

Back to gear, I want crafting gear to be a "chance for a good freebie" for casual players and a legitimate "business model" for more hardcore players. It seems only to work for the latter atm.

That's quite interesting. I've been thinking of using Shock Pulse: Fire Bolts for its strength. I messed with it in the past and I might do so again. Seeing that it has a good proc coefficient looks great too. The only major flaw I can think of with my current build (with living lightning) is that it's utterly horrible against high health single targets, particularly treasure goblins. It's also horrible burst, so I consider myself dead when I run into fallen maniacs without Archon up. I recently realized that my crit is high enough that my Energy Twisters can almost sustain themselves after a short period, so LL isn't as mission critical as it used to be. I'll look into how other heavy hitting signature spells work with Energy Twister to see what feels most comfortable for me.

I'm looking at no rune electrocute (50% coefficient) with crit mass because of its amazingly high attack speed. Then with crit mass, use slow time with time reversal (increased attack speed inside) and pop that for safety and cool down reduction of it and archon.

I can even go more glass cannon to change prismatic armor to the extra crit one. I'd be squishy as hell, but at 43% crit and 100k+ dps.

Can someone help me?

What is the down side on a wizard to using a two handed staff compaired to a Wand and Source?

Currently I run a wand that has 2.9 life steal, +100 Int, Emerald for crit dmg, and 849 damage. The source has +77 Int, 5.5 crit chance, and a socket with a topaz.

I was looking at a wand called the tormentor... for about 1 mil I can buy one with +220 int, +100 or so crit damage, 5.0 life steal, and 1100 dmg. My thought is that I could run disentegrate with the low cast speed.

The only down side is losing that crit chance (which can be a big deal), but what else am I not seeing here. Why is it so cheap, has to be a negative effect.

And what's your crit at, stevedave?

Between 39 and 42 depending on whether or not I use my second Zunimassa's ring or skull grasp.

Having 2 old and 2 new sets of Zunimassa's is pretty cool I get a bonus 260 INT...........and if I ever get around to making a witch Doctor I'll have 260 INT + 110 all res from having 3 old and 3 new.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075789

Have some funky skills set I was trying some strangeness out.

Nice stash! I like iding them to much myself to do that. To me, thats like the whole game, lol. Might as well just buy gold if you're gonna do that imo.

So true.

I've said this exact same thing to others before. I might just ID them. I don't have much desire to farm Act 3 solo anyway, so I can basically go full tank mode as long as I keep shout up =P

Can someone help me?

What is the down side on a wizard to using a two handed staff compaired to a Wand and Source?

Currently I run a wand that has 2.9 life steal, +100 Int, Emerald for crit dmg, and 849 damage. The source has +77 Int, 5.5 crit chance, and a socket with a topaz.

I was looking at a wand called the tormentor... for about 1 mil I can buy one with +220 int, +100 or so crit damage, 5.0 life steal, and 1100 dmg. My thought is that I could run disentegrate with the low cast speed.

The only down side is losing that crit chance (which can be a big deal), but what else am I not seeing here. Why is it so cheap, has to be a negative effect.

2 Handed weapon are cheap because most people need the source for crit and/or Arcane on Crit.

Given the status of your Source I'd say go for the 2 hander. Its a cheaper option to getting High damage.

Finally making my way through Act 3 and saw my first set piece drop!

Even better, it rolled near perfectly on the LoH stat (478/479), 20% MF, 12% life, and the "+2 random properties" ended up being +204 life regen and over 100 vit.

AixGotSlacks2.jpg

Glorious! I've been fortunate enough to find a bunch of legendaries but unfortunately they've pretty much all been trash, so this was a refreshing change of pace to actually find an upgrade this late in the game. The only other self-found legendary I'm using is one of those Messerschmidt's Reavers...and my Enchantress is wielding it. :p

Back