Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I think I'm close to 500ish hours. I can see another 500 hours.

The HC economy isn't as bad as I thought. My items were just priced a little high (based on pre 1.04 experience). Things are selling again and I'm accumulating a nice amount of gold again. Just gotta nickel and dime a little.

I'm working on adding some MF pieces for Act 2 runs without sacrificing too much. The 33% mf from paragon levels and 31% from a couple items seems to help.

I still sell a decent amount of stuff on the gold AH. I added my stuff up from last month and I made like 315m in gold AH and $140 in the RMAH. I'm sure plenty of people made more, but I'm fairly happy with that. My gear came up a lot in quality too, as I've had at least 3 items drop that I used that where all 25m+ items. My Monk is up to about 280 hours played with paragon 31 and enough time on other toons to put me around 500 hours total. I'm still waiting for that really good item that sells for a ton (highest single item I've had is around $20 or 30m).

I still enjoy it. Sure I get bored some times, but that is why I don't just play D3. I still raid lead in the top guild in EQ2 (What in the world right?) and play BF3 to change things up. All things in moderation I guess

I still sell a decent amount of stuff on the gold AH. I added my stuff up from last month and I made like 315m in gold AH and $140 in the RMAH. I'm sure plenty of people made more, but I'm fairly happy with that. My gear came up a lot in quality too, as I've had at least 3 items drop that I used that where all 25m+ items. My Monk is up to about 280 hours played with paragon 31 and enough time on other toons to put me around 500 hours total. I'm still waiting for that really good item that sells for a ton (highest single item I've had is around $20 or 30m).

I still enjoy it. Sure I get bored some times, but that is why I don't just play D3. I still raid lead in the top guild in EQ2 (What in the world right?) and play BF3 to change things up. All things in moderation I guess

Sorry to burst your bubble but none of your gaming habits you've described are "in moderation".

lol...

Legendary bracers just dropped. I knew from the graphic that it was Lacuni Prowlers before I ID'ed so I was excited.. but it turns out that it doesn't have any main stats or vit. FML

edit: wow 12% movement speed feels nice. I've been missing out. I may want to pick up a proper version of these bracers as well as 12% boots. the 20% MF on it doesn't hurt, although I lost 3k dps in the process.

Yep, it was very noticeable when I bought mine. I now have 12% boots too. It makes a big difference keeping archon mode up, so it's like a double bonus, actually moving through a level faster, and staying in face melting mode longer. Some runs I stayed in archon mode through all of sky crown battlements and stone fort, only manually turning it off to refresh energy armor and force weapon. Well worth a slight dps loss.

Sorry to burst your bubble but none of your gaming habits you've described are "in moderation".

lol...

Depends on your measuring stick. Gaming pays my bills, so it is something I actually have to do. I could play vastly more then I do. You also kind of missed the point that people generally play themselves to burnout on games, or are looking for too much instead of just some enjoyment. I can take enjoyment from most things /shrug.

Yep, it was very noticeable when I bought mine. I now have 12% boots too. It makes a big difference keeping archon mode up, so it's like a double bonus, actually moving through a level faster, and staying in face melting mode longer. Some runs I stayed in archon mode through all of sky crown battlements and stone fort, only manually turning it off to refresh energy armor and force weapon. Well worth a slight dps loss.

12% movement speed is the minimum.

My wizard does 19 in act 3 and 25 in act 1. I found those Boots and Pants as well.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075789

My monk does 34% in act 1 and dead speed in act 3. Flavor of time for the win.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075786

Depends on your measuring stick. Gaming pays my bills, so it is something I actually have to do. I could play vastly more then I do. You also kind of missed the point that people generally play themselves to burnout on games, or are looking for too much instead of just some enjoyment. I can take enjoyment from most things /shrug.

Streaming your game play? If so what's your channel? I like watching gaming as much as I enjoy playing.

Finally started playing again after the last big patch...I have to say, I like the changes. With legendaries actually being badass now, I feel more of a draw to grind for loot. The huge stats on 2H weapons as well makes it interesting; paragon levels are definitely a good start, although I still would like to see a bit more behind it (extra mana/resources? +0.5/0.25% dmg per level? etc).

Made a horrible mistake though, somehow, still not quite sure how, sold my gloves that I paid almost 2M for on the AH. :( I did get a nice upgrade for them, but had to spend 3M to get it, sigh.

paragon levels are definitely a good start, although I still would like to see a bit more behind it (extra mana/resources? +0.5/0.25% dmg per level? etc).

Umm, actually you do. Per paragon level you get 3 points for main stat, 2 points for vitality and 1 each of your off stats, plus 3% MF & GF, AAAAND cool portraits every 10 levels :D Thats MORE than you get just from the normal 1-60 levels.

Ha, yeah I get all that. I was more thinking along the lines of D2, where when you kept leveling you got to allocate a skill point or something. Now all it is, you pop a level and don't even stop running, all the points are auto-allocated for you. I guess I just like actually being involved in my characters development. ;)

I played a bit over the weekend again, and I really hate all of the shit that pops up on the screen. If you're in the middle of a big fight and reach a paragon level, kill 20 monsters in one hit and destroy 8 objects at the same time there is so much shit flying in your face you can't really see what's going on. Nice to have them add stuff in with patches, but screen spamming is bullshit. :)

Ha, yeah I get all that. I was more thinking along the lines of D2, where when you kept leveling you got to allocate a skill point or something. Now all it is, you pop a level and don't even stop running, all the points are auto-allocated for you. I guess I just like actually being involved in my characters development. ;)

I personally think stat points are dumb and lame. I like how its set up, I play chars because of their main stat and it builds automatically. I mean, I don't want to have the choice to put strength onto my DH for example, just seems dumb and cumbersome.

I played a bit over the weekend again, and I really hate all of the shit that pops up on the screen. If you're in the middle of a big fight and reach a paragon level, kill 20 monsters in one hit and destroy 8 objects at the same time there is so much shit flying in your face you can't really see what's going on. Nice to have them add stuff in with patches, but screen spamming is bullshit. :)

Yeah I kind of agree with you on this one. The level effect is kind of cool and doesn't bother me, feels like an accomlishment I guess but do they really need to tell us every effin level that we are getting 3% MF and GF. I think I got the point after like plvl2, now we get to see that for 100 levels. Someone didn't think that one through.

Streaming your game play? If so what's your channel? I like watching gaming as much as I enjoy playing.

i have a stream up, wildace is the channel on twitch.

Act 3-4-Ponies / Inferno / Monk / Paragon 36 US Server / 27k hp / 58k dps unbuffed.

I personally think stat points are dumb and lame. I like how its set up, I play chars because of their main stat and it builds automatically. I mean, I don't want to have the choice to put strength onto my DH for example, just seems dumb and cumbersome.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, and this complaint is probably never going to change due to how they built the game. It's just that overall you don't feel very connected to how your character is built, it's all automatic.

It would be nice if they gave you one paragon point per level to allocate to one spell/ability that would give it a small buff. For example, +2% damage to blizzard if you're a wizard or something like that. It would add more of a custom feel to each character.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, and this complaint is probably never going to change due to how they built the game. It's just that overall you don't feel very connected to how your character is built, it's all automatic.

It would be nice if they gave you one paragon point per level to allocate to one spell/ability that would give it a small buff. For example, +2% damage to blizzard if you're a wizard or something like that. It would add more of a custom feel to each character.

This is exactly what's missing from the game imo, and why i can't play it for more than a couple hours. After awhile and a few dings, you're just like--why? What is this ding getting me? Oh so i can switch to some other move... cool.

I wish they had an option to let you build your character :(

Then come the cries for respec and that whole endless debate. No thanks. Just leave it like it is.

This is exactly what's missing from the game imo, and why i can't play it for more than a couple hours. After awhile and a few dings, you're just like--why? What is this ding getting me? Oh so i can switch to some other move... cool.

I wish they had an option to let you build your character :(

There are many many many many options to build your character. Unless you have bIllions of gold to get perfect items that have main stat/vit/crit/critdmg/IAS/resist all/armor, you have to pick and choose how to build your character. If you had to choose, which many do, which would you rather have on your gear: IAS or crit? CrIt dmg or crit chance? What about two out of the three? Would you want vit on it or resist all? Or even armor? Movement speed? How much? Resource regen? What would you sacrifice for magic find? Do you have a paragon level goal to hit 300mf before level 100? Life steal, life on hit, health regen per second, or +life per globe and pickup radius?

It is practically impossible to max out everything I mentioned above, you have to pick and choose. There is a lot of choice on how to build a character ieven if you use the exact same skills as the person next to you. The responses between men and yoshiyuki on this thread recently is proof of that.

I still have issues with loot rng, lag, and other aspects, but build diversity is not one of them.

There are many many many many options to build your character. Unless you have bIllions of gold to get perfect items that have main stat/vit/crit/critdmg/IAS/resist all/armor, you have to pick and choose how to build your character. If you had to choose, which many do, which would you rather have on your gear: IAS or crit? CrIt dmg or crit chance? What about two out of the three? Would you want vit on it or resist all? Or even armor? Movement speed? How much? Resource regen? What would you sacrifice for magic find? Do you have a paragon level goal to hit 300mf before level 100? Life steal, life on hit, health regen per second, or +life per globe and pickup radius?

It is practically impossible to max out everything I mentioned above, you have to pick and choose. There is a lot of choice on how to build a character ieven if you use the exact same skills as the person next to you. The responses between men and yoshiyuki on this thread recently is proof of that.

I still have issues with loot rng, lag, and other aspects, but build diversity is not one of them.

Yeah, I completely agree and to add to that, I love the fact that I can jump on any char and respec/regear on the fly essentially and just play the game. Oh if I feel like using trail of cinders tonight, no problem. If I want to use use blizzard, or archon or slaughter on WoTB I can and they are there to easily switch. When I think of allocating stat points, like someone mentioned allocating say a point or two to blizzard, then I feel like you're pigeon-holed into using blizzard. I feel like allocating points takes away from diversity, but it may make your build feel more one of a kindish I guess.

But I'll will also say that I've been playing since release and while I mainly play solo now, I didn't always, I have yet to come across others who seem to have my same gear/build.

Building gear isn't building a character. It all still boils down to the dps number and not much else matters.

This 'gear building' you describe though, is only possible through use of the Auction house, which i've stopped using altogether. I don't enjoy using it, so i don't use it. I still play this game, but not end-game because it just feels like a grind. So i was referring more to the 1-60 range, where you aren't really doing any character building. You upgrade your gear with what drops, and usually you don't have to make considerations like you've laid out above.

So, when you ding--it's a spiffy-looking effect, plus some auto stat points, plus some new runes or w/e unlocked, which just replace other moves that you were using. I never feel like you're building a character, or making myself more powerful... just rather going through the motions, and so i get bored.

This 'gear building' you describe though, is only possible through use of the Auction house, which i've stopped using altogether. I don't enjoy using it, so i don't use it. I still play this game, but not end-game because it just feels like a grind. So i was referring more to the 1-60 range, where you aren't really doing any character building. You upgrade your gear with what drops, and usually you don't have to make considerations like you've laid out above.

So, when you ding--it's a spiffy-looking effect, plus some auto stat points, plus some new runes or w/e unlocked, which just replace other moves that you were using. You never feel like you're building a character, and so i get bored.

Yeah I defintely know what you are saying and honestly not to get on this debate again b/c this mechanic has not changed from the get go, but all I can really say then is D3 is not really for you. It suits me really well though as I seem to like what it has and like for what it doesn't have.

And while I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyones tail, I have of course used the GAH, never RMAH, but honestly I have not bought any earth shattering trophy items in the GAH. some things I've gotten I got to fill some holes here and there and in some cases they have usually been replaced by what I actually have found. Most of my gg items are found b/c I've never have had the gold to buy any real serious items. Also once I started and got all my chars to lvl 60, I noticed the drops were a lot more rewarding only b/c I had more chances of it being a keeper b/c I had 5 lvl 60s.

Great post here. This is the truth.

Do I want a huge crit dps barb or do I want a tanky barb with lots of IAS and LOH to go along with it? There are lots of options, but people still want to make multiple characters of the same class AND have multiple sets of gear for the same class instead of just multiple sets of gear.

Do I want a huge crit dps barb or do I want a tanky barb with lots of IAS and LOH to go along with it? There are lots of options, but people still want to make multiple characters of the same class AND have multiple sets of gear for the same class instead of just multiple sets of gear.

Again though that is all gear-related and has nothing to do with skill or stat allocation. Right now I cannot find any upgrades for my wizard other than items that cost multiple millions, usually 3M+. And of the items that drop, none are good enough to sell on the AH for millions (or even hundreds of thousands). So I'm stuck in limbo in a single spec, god forbid I try to build a second set of gear.

I do like the new patch, I'm enjoying playing the game again. But there is still a lot to be desired in the "RP" of this ARPG. Adding some basic stat allocation to skills per paragon level, with respeccing handled the same way it is now for skills, would go a long way to adding true character customization, outside of the gear/AH grind.

Again though that is all gear-related and has nothing to do with skill or stat allocation. Right now I cannot find any upgrades for my wizard other than items that cost multiple millions, usually 3M+. And of the items that drop, none are good enough to sell on the AH for millions (or even hundreds of thousands). So I'm stuck in limbo in a single spec, god forbid I try to build a second set of gear.

I do like the new patch, I'm enjoying playing the game again. But there is still a lot to be desired in the "RP" of this ARPG. Adding some basic stat allocation to skills per paragon level, with respeccing handled the same way it is now for skills, would go a long way to adding true character customization, outside of the gear/AH grind.

Post your profile link.

Building gear isn't building a character. It all still boils down to the dps number and not much else matters.

Not true, if dps was the only thing that mattered the following stats would sell for nothing on the ah (not exhaustive)...

Vitality, resist all, armor, reduced damage, reduced movement imparing effect duration., life on hit, life steal, hp regen, %life, resist element, pickup radius, magic find, fold find, block, block chance, reduced elite damage, etc.

Show me a viable build with none of those stats. Show me life steal or loh weapons don't increase the value of a weapon. Would you really take a 100k dps monk with 4k health and zero resist and very low armor?

Even if dps is all that matters, how does point allocation make it any different? Pump all points into main stat?

Not true, if dps was the only thing that mattered the following stats would sell for nothing on the ah (not exhaustive)...

Vitality, resist all, armor, reduced damage, reduced movement imparing effect duration., life on hit, life steal, hp regen, %life, resist element, pickup radius, magic find, fold find, block, block chance, reduced elite damage, etc.

Show me a viable build with none of those stats. Show me life steal or loh weapons don't increase the value of a weapon. Would you really take a 100k dps monk with 4k health and zero resist and very low armor?

Even if dps is all that matters, how does point allocation make it any different? Pump all points into main stat?

Gotta have enough str to equip SS and enough dex for max block bro

That doesn't differ from any other aRPG or proper RPG. The point is that isn't a "build", those are gear stats.

There shouldn't be one "main stat". We are talking about specializing abilities and increasing the variability of base attributes. Point is that gear has much much much more to do with how effective your character is in comparison to what skills you use.

Would I take your theoretical 100k dps monk? Might be fun, yea. Would that work as a wizard or DH? To the extreme, it would.

Not to speak for him, but I think the original point made by TwistedAegis is that specializing and making your character your own is a good part of what makes, or should make, these games fun. It doesn't have to be a make it or break it feature. It could be a simple pool of extra Paragon-like levels that allow you to incrementally increase certain build aspects. Add a gold/item bought respec option to appease those that whine about any restrictions in an RPG.

The way you guys describe "builds," I honestly can't care for it. I spend plenty enough time allocating stats to specific pieces of gear. It has its own dynamics. I have to choose the order of acquisition and even when it's appropriate to reach my target. Prior to 1.0.4, I spent 11M on trashy crit gear just to see how a particular build would play out and it failed spectacularly. I used the pieces to experiment with other types of crit centric builds and settled with what I have now. After hearing about Archon's potency, I incorporated into my build and optimized my gear around it accordingly. That is plenty enough customization for me. I think you guys are still uncomfortable with the idea of using the AH as an active tool for your customization. Yeah, it's not a 1 hit button to put the stats where you want, but it's more than accessible for everyone.

That doesn't differ from any other aRPG or proper RPG. The point is that isn't a "build", those are gear stats.

There shouldn't be one "main stat". We are talking about specializing abilities and increasing the variability of base attributes. Point is that gear has much much much more to do with how effective your character is in comparison to what skills you use.

Would I take your theoretical 100k dps monk? Might be fun, yea. Would that work as a wizard or DH? To the extreme, it would.

Not to speak for him, but I think the original point made by TwistedAegis is that specializing and making your character your own is a good part of what makes, or should make, these games fun. It doesn't have to be a make it or break it feature. It could be a simple pool of extra Paragon-like levels that allow you to incrementally increase certain build aspects. Add a gold/item bought respec option to appease those that whine about any restrictions in an RPG.

Don't bother. Anyone still playing or defending this game is better left to their own borderline-psychotic views on character development and the genre in general.

I'll bother just for you though, old boy. Here's the post you were referencing:

So to summarize: you and people like you seem to understand that items are the only way to develop your character. Items are the only thing making Blizzard money on Diablo 3. This is not a coincidence. It is a painfully-obvious fact that every facet of this game has been designed with the RMAH foremost in mind. If this is not an issue to you (which I somehow doubt it is), that's just pathetic.

Diablo 3 has no character development beyond Naming your character.

Gearless all characters are the same in every aspect except name.

Its a simple truth I don't see the confusion.

Does this fact make it a bad game....No......
Does this fact make it much less of an RPG.....Yes......

I'll bother just for you though, old boy. Here's the post you were referencing:

So to summarize: you and people like you seem to understand that items are the only way to develop your character. Items are the only thing making Blizzard money on Diablo 3. This is not a coincidence. It is a painfully-obvious fact that every facet of this game has been designed with the RMAH foremost in mind. If this is not an issue to you (which I somehow doubt it is), that's just pathetic.

Oh this argument again, it's been quite a few pages since this whining came up. It's kind of like a stalker ex-girlfriend on facebook that keeps posting on your wall every few days because she has a vendetta against you for dumping her.

I completely understand they focused on items to build your character, and that focus is driven by making money off the RMAH. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest. I got all the way up to Inferno Diablo all the way before RMAH went live, and I beat Diablo the day RMAH went live because I wanted to see if I could sell anything on the RMAH (I didnt buy anything). The game back then was completely beatable without using the RMAH, and since then, items and drop rates have recieved numerous buffs, inferno has been nerfed to the ground, and any argument about needing to use real money (beyond buying the game) to beat inferno should have gone out the window by now. If you still cant beat inferno without having to spend extra money on the RMAH these days, then your really should find a new hobby outside of video games.

It's there if you want to use it, but by no means is the RMAH required to beat inferno, or even make Act 3 farm able. Every once in a while someone pops up and cries that Blizzard holds your first born ransom and forces you to use the RMAH to progress in inferno.

Enlighten me, wabbitseason, what game developer isnt out to make money? What philanthropic person is willing to develop an entertainment medium, be it video game, music, movie, book, etc, and just give it out to everyone for free day one and never make a cent off of it?

Yeah, you get me. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying playing the game again after the new patch. But it could be better/more engaging

The way you guys describe "builds," I honestly can't care for it. I spend plenty enough time allocating stats to specific pieces of gear. It has its own dynamics. I have to choose the order of acquisition and even when it's appropriate to reach my target. Prior to 1.0.4, I spent 11M on trashy crit gear just to see how a particular build would play out and it failed spectacularly. I used the pieces to experiment with other types of crit centric builds and settled with what I have now. After hearing about Archon's potency, I incorporated into my build and optimized my gear around it accordingly. That is plenty enough customization for me. I think you guys are still uncomfortable with the idea of using the AH as an active tool for your customization. Yeah, it's not a 1 hit button to put the stats where you want, but it's more than accessible for everyone.

I'm not sure how spending 10s of millions of gold on the AH is more accessible...that's defintely something I'm not able to do, I've nowhere near that kind of gold. I'm actually one of the people more comfortable with the AH; however I'm not really comfortable with it being nearly the sole means of "customization."

Yeah, you get me. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying playing the game again after the new patch. But it could be better/more engaging

I'm not sure how spending 10s of millions of gold on the AH is more accessible...that's defintely something I'm not able to do, I've nowhere near that kind of gold. I'm actually one of the people more comfortable with the AH; however I'm not really comfortable with it being nearly the sole means of "customization."

I think it works out all right when you combine gear and abilities for potential customization. More of every stat is always better, but as my gear keeps improving in certain directions, I can continue to change up my skillset to better suit my playstyle and clear faster.

The big one back and forth for me is glass cannon. I'm sitting ok without it, but if I can bump my surviabibilty just a bit, I can push up my DPS much higher with glass cannon and make my lifesteal more effective. I also go back and forth between force magic weapon (15% damage and knockback) and Blood Magic weapon (10% damage and 1.5% lifesteal). It just all depends on the upgrades I keep getting. If I get Chantando's will (or force? the wand part of the set), I'd get shock pulse dmg and change my signature skill to that instead of electrocude. If I can somehow get high AP on crit, I'd change electrocude to disenegrate and just beam in both archon and non-archon mode, then I'd switch my passive from paralysis to temporal flux. Without enough AP on crit, my IAS burns through my arcane too quickly to be useful (the same reason why many avoid IAS).

I think when I came back after 1.0.4 hit, I had maybe 2 mil to my name and sat at 50k with no lifesteal, glass cannon on, and like 22k hp. All my money went to decking out my barb, so I sold what I could to re-jump start my wizard since I knew it was the one I'd get as high as I could on paragon levels. Between selling stuff on the RMAH and GAH, I've probably gone through about 30mil in upgrades over the past 2 weeks and currently have about 10 mil to my name. It's a lot harder to make money, but not impossible. At the same time, prices for non-godly items have crashed, so getting a good "starter act 3" set is cheaper than ever. Some can make good money by sniping badly priced godly items with buyout then flipping them for amazing profit (I dont have that good an eye to flip for profit well).

You don't really have to be spending 10s of millions of gold. This is especially true now more than ever. Decent gear, that could have made big differences even in the old Inferno, are almost worth dirt now. Everything above that threshold will shift the game's difficulty from comfortably challenging to face-rolling easy, as that's where my wizard is at now.

And I agree, gear is currently the only form of stat customization at the moment, which is a problem, but that alone has been enough for me. It has the dynamic of a live market place, where hot deals can come up once in a while and you gotta be there to grab that chance. It's unlike regular stat allocation where all you have to do is level up and put stats in.

With Paragon levels, I was able to take my mind off of getting gear and into leveling up and money came in as a natural result. I find legendaries regularly, so does my brother. Next thing I knew, I made it to level 22 with almost 100M gold accumulated+spent since the start of the patch. It's a pretty rewarding feeling that I got a build going that I enjoy playing and that it scales to the gear tailored for it.

Last edited:
Back