Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I must be doing something wrong, at 1100 resists desecrate in Act 3 melts me fairly quickly (45k hp). Mind to link your character?

Pretty much what LeninGHOLA stated. I have 1000 life/sec as well as 800 life per hit (1.44 attacks per second). Serenity and seven sided strike pretty much keep me immune to all attacks for 6 seconds, and both pretty much give me back half my life (~15k hp, a combo of the life on hit and life/sec for SSS and serenity also includes a heal).

You're just lacking any real life regen at the moment. Trust me, it really helps.

If every item you got was good then there would be no trading because everyone would already have everything they want.

But unreasonable expectations is already something that's way too common with D3. Yesterday a friend said to me "Wow I only got 1 rare out of an elite pack wtf??? I THOUGHT THEY FIXED THIS GAME".

Like how do you even respond to that

you respond with a new friend......biggest Issue I have with some of the people I play with is their utter lack of ability when it comes to know what Items are good and not good. Last night one of them found a 50+ Million gold pair of Depth Diggers and was going to smash it for a fiery brimstone. Then later asked if a pair of boots with no run walk or all res was good.

That and the fact they always seem to find 50+ million gold loot while I'm stuck with the rejects.

much more fun now, found a couple of good items after a couple of hours and act 2 is a breeze on my barb now.. considering doing act 4 on my wizard too but we'll see

Exactly my feelings so far with this patch. First elite pack dropped a (rather lackluster) legendary shield for me, which is only my second set/legendary after over 100 hrs of playtime, both coming from Act 1 inferno. Even still, it was a very pleasant surprise. Got a couple of decent upgrades over the next couple of hours as well. And I was able to progress further into Act 2 than I ever have, dying much, much less, and spending way less on repairs.

I also noticed that there are quite a few little things that they changed that were not mentioned in the patch notes (or maybe I missed them), like automatically replenishing your health by simply clicking the healer once instead of having to click him and then select "Receive a Blessing." Stuff like that always annoyed me and was just boggling why they didn't have it work that way in the first place. At least it's better now.

Same goes for the improved ground effects on mortars and ice bombs - it's now MUCH easier to tell exactly where those mortars are going to land and the exact radius of the ice bombs' explosions.

Overall, I'm actually having fun with the game, moreso than ever.

Exactly my feelings so far with this patch. First elite pack dropped a (rather lackluster) legendary shield for me, which is only my second set/legendary after over 100 hrs of playtime, both coming from Act 1 inferno. Even still, it was a very pleasant surprise. Got a couple of decent upgrades over the next couple of hours as well. And I was able to progress further into Act 2 than I ever have, dying much, much less, and spending way less on repairs.

I also noticed that there are quite a few little things that they changed that were not mentioned in the patch notes (or maybe I missed them), like automatically replenishing your health by simply clicking the healer once instead of having to click him and then select "Receive a Blessing." Stuff like that always annoyed me and was just boggling why they didn't have it work that way in the first place. At least it's better now.

Same goes for the improved ground effects on mortars and ice bombs - it's now MUCH easier to tell exactly where those mortars are going to land and the exact radius of the ice bombs' explosions.

Overall, I'm actually having fun with the game, moreso than ever.

Another thing I noticed (maybe it's my eyes but it seemed different in 1.04) is that sometime, when a elite die, it leave a ticking bomb which explode after a few seconds. Before the patch, it's a very small glimmer of light but now, it glow much bigger so I noticed it early and moved away before it exploded.

That's a comment for another thread, but I don't think you're grasping the system in that "other thread". Rares are rare, uniques are even moreso. The crafting system is what allows most things to be turned into valuable items and orbs. It takes quite a bit of effort to put together gear for your build.

There is no irony, stick to what you know.

You are right. I was being facetious and know what people meant when they say D3 is for the instant gratification crowd.

Another thing I noticed (maybe it's my eyes but it seemed different in 1.04) is that sometime, when a elite die, it leave a ticking bomb which explode after a few seconds. Before the patch, it's a very small glimmer of light but now, it glow much bigger so I noticed it early and moved away before it exploded.

Thank god for that.

You are right. I was being facetious and know what people meant when they say D3 is for the instant gratification crowd.

Yea. Obviously the grindy aspect of any of these games isn't for the instant gratification crowd, they were more referring to the character progression mechanics.

Interesting that the D3 devs added some grindy elements to progression while allowing easier access to items. I think the balance will pay off in the long run for most people.

300 hours and several hundred million gold later, I can say that D3 HC is not instant gratification. It's more like delayed gratification for the chance at instant rage :(
The instant rage part made me LOL hard. You did manage to accumulate several hundred million in HC mode though, that's pretty impressive.

~1100 LoH gets me by in desecrate just fine with only 850ish resists in Act III as a Monk. Depending on damage spikes, I will pop heals and Serenity/Instant Karma, though. You using Revenge at all?
Yeah I am using Revenge every time it procs, but the issue is that even though I do not clear the trash when I run into an elite pack the trash just dies too quickly and then I am left with the elites which most often don't create Revenge procs as frequently. The LOH is a problem as mine is way too low. I did switch to some life steal gear but the results are mixed at best. I definitely need more LOH but right now I just don't really feel like farming the AH to A) find an acceptable weapon and B) farm up the 10+ mil needed to actually buy it.

On the topic of loot in D3, the loot is still shit. Higher drop rates statistically increase your chance to get something good but that doesn't make up for the fact that you can spend a whole evening (4-6 hours) in the game with 200%+ MF (after stacks) in Inferno and not get a single item that can be used for anything other than vendor/salvage. That is simply not entertaining.

Yeah, I believe that's part of the attributes of the "molten" affix. In addition to leaving trails of fiery hot death on the ground, they also go nuclear after dying. I didn't happen to notice if the effect's visibility was improved, but I wouldn't doubt it, seeing as how they did the same for some of the other effects.

The instant rage part made me LOL hard. You did manage to accumulate several hundred million in HC mode though, that's pretty impressive.

Yeah I am using Revenge every time it procs, but the issue is that even though I do not clear the trash when I run into an elite pack the trash just dies too quickly and then I am left with the elites which most often don't create Revenge procs as frequently. The LOH is a problem as mine is way too low. I did switch to some life steal gear but the results are mixed at best. I definitely need more LOH but right now I just don't really feel like farming the AH to A) find an acceptable weapon and B) farm up the 10+ mil needed to actually buy it.

On the topic of loot in D3, the loot is still shit. Higher drop rates statistically increase your chance to get something good but that doesn't make up for the fact that you can spend a whole evening (4-6 hours) in the game with 200%+ MF (after stacks) in Inferno and not get a single item that can be used for anything other than vendor/salvage. That is simply not entertaining.

Don't be offended by this, but are you using the proc chance increase for revenge?

Go for a big LoH mod on an amulet, even if it is a blue. Socket your weapon with the 600 LoH gem and that should be enough. You shouldn't have to rework the rest of your gear very much if at all. I'd say expect to spend 2 million tops, likely much less.

Yeah, I believe that's part of the attributes of the "molten" affix. In addition to leaving trails of fiery hot death on the ground, they also go nuclear after dying. I didn't happen to notice if the effect's visibility was improved, but I wouldn't doubt it, seeing as how they did the same for some of the other effects.

Yeah, must be from the molten attribute as I wasn't sure which one trigger a bomb at death.

If you're not a WW barb you're missin out. The skills synergize nicely together, you kill stuff fast, you run fast. It's real fun in my opinion.

If you're not a WW barb you're missin out. The skills synergize nicely together, you kill stuff fast, you run fast. It's real fun in my opinion.

I'm using a new build now

basically rend is my rage spender and it is retarded good

I sold a Sacred Shield for way more than I thought it was worth, 5M. It had 1151 armor, 20% block chance, 257 str, 31 vit, 47 lightning resist, 62 AR, 11% life and a socket (btw I love that I can see what I sold now. I would have forgotten everything). Anyone familiar with the shield market know what made it sell? Maybe Monks with OWE?

I sold a Sacred Shield for way more than I thought it was worth, 5M. It had 1151 armor, 20% block chance, 257 str, 31 vit, 47 lightning resist, 62 AR, 11% life and a socket (btw I love that I can see what I sold now. I would have forgotten everything). Anyone familiar with the shield market know what made it sell? Maybe Monks with OWE?
Lots of 1H barbs out there. I'd classify this as an OK shield and I wouldn't have paid 5M for it, but I guess to folks who have nothing else to spend gold on 5M isn't any significant amount.

It's not as great since they nerfed overpower/crushing advance but its still a good build. I just came back after the patch and I am trying a 2h bash/rend/wotb build..rend is borderline op atm. With wotb up and full rage and 3 stacks of punish from bash I melt act 3 rare/champ packs in literally 2 seconds

Anyone familiar with the shield market know what made it sell? Maybe Monks with OWE?

Yes I'm curious about it too. Shields are the only thing I don't know what to look for/price. Only thing I really know for sure is high block chance (20%+) and block amount. Don't know whats a good block amount range though.

Yea, that's an easy 5M. I don't think you'd get a lot more, but I'm not too familiar with the top end shields as my Barb is more of my alt bitch and he gets the cheap stuff.

Yes I'm curious about it too. Shields are the only thing I don't know what to look for/price. Only thing I really know for sure is high block chance (20%+) and block amount. Don't know whats a good block amount range though.
If it's not 3706-4706 then it's not a top of the line shield.

If it were HC mode, it could have gone for 20m. At least a couple weeks ago when I was playing. I paid a lot more than 5m for a shield not as good as that.

So ..., now what am I going to charge for this one?
1LsfM.jpg

That staff is going to make leveling pretty trivial and is probably even usable at 60 for a bit till something better comes along. There is a 1.2k dps one with 330 int, 170 vit, and life steal listed for 12M bid and it's got no bids, so conceivably 12M is to much for that one and it's better than the one I have.

Any suggestions and/or actual offers?

Just before 1.0.3 launched, I bought a 650 dps bow with -18 level requirement, used it to level a DH to 60, then sold it back with a radiant square ruby socketed for 2M.

Given the flood of gear now that has caused average equipment to devalue considerably, I'd say just starting it at 1M with a buyout of 10M. Of course, you can just search for other 2 hand weapons with a similar or better DPS, and undercut them slightly.

you respond with a new friend......biggest Issue I have with some of the people I play with is their utter lack of ability when it comes to know what Items are good and not good. Last night one of them found a 50+ Million gold pair of Depth Diggers and was going to smash it for a fiery brimstone. Then later asked if a pair of boots with no run walk or all res was good.

That and the fact they always seem to find 50+ million gold loot while I'm stuck with the rejects.
You should have offered to buy that legendary at 1M :p

Last edited:
Trade chat, before the exploit was found, 63 1handers went for around half a million unid.

Granted not a lot of time has passed but people aren't buying those unids anymore. Maybe its too soon after the patch, but there was a guy throwing them up in the trade channel yesterday and everyone was telling him to gtfo with that crap. So who knows, maybe some day it will come back.

So ..., now what am I going to charge for this one?
1LsfM.jpg

That staff is going to make leveling pretty trivial and is probably even usable at 60 for a bit till something better comes along. There is a 1.2k dps one with 330 int, 170 vit, and life steal listed for 12M bid and it's got no bids, so conceivably 12M is to much for that one and it's better than the one I have.

Any suggestions and/or actual offers?

Start a new character, get yourself a nice -16 level req 1h weapon, and throw that staff on the enchantress for super fast leveling from 44-60 :eek:

Anyone who is bored with the game should consider deleting all their characters and starting over, especially you SC guys. Keep a little gold so you can still buy some gear along the way.

I play HC so I've had to level up new characters quite a few times, but it's not the same when you've got 100m+ gold waiting to buy a full set of top end gear as soon as you hit 60. Before, leveling up a character was just a tedious act that I had to do to get back to farming inferno. Knowing that I'll have to struggle to get gear just to do Act 1 Inferno again has made me enjoy the game and the leveling so much more.

Anyone who is bored with the game should consider deleting all their characters and starting over, especially you SC guys. Keep a little gold so you can still buy some gear along the way.

I play HC so I've had to level up new characters quite a few times, but it's not the same when you've got 100m+ gold waiting to buy a full set of top end gear as soon as you hit 60. Before, leveling up a character was just a tedious act that I had to do to get back to farming inferno. Knowing that I'll have to struggle to get gear just to do Act 1 Inferno again has made me enjoy the game and the leveling so much more.

Heh, since I never got an item that sold for over 25k, I've been struggling like that from day 1!

Kind of unexpected...I guess

A message from Jay:

As many of you probably know, I recently made a comment on Facebook about Dave Brevik. I want to make it clear that I am very sorry for what I said. I have higher expectations for myself than to express my feelings in such a rash way and disrespect a fellow developer like Dave, someone who deserves to be treated with greater respect.

What I said was expressed out of anger, and in defense of my team and the game. People can say what they want about me, but I don't take lightly when they disparage the commitment and passion of the Diablo III team. Dave is awesome. In Diablo and Diablo II, he made two of the games that have most affected me as a developer. I respect his vision for Diablo, but just like he said in his interview, the Diablo III team must drive a vision for the game that is true to us. We believe in Diablo and have stuck by it through years of hard development to make it a reality.

The foundation of the Diablo team was built from the remnants of Blizzard North: Our lead programmer, who built the basis of the Diablo III engine while at Blizzard North; our lead tech artist, who drove much of the combat visuals, FX, and skill direction of our classes and is one of the most avid Diablo II players you can find; our lead concept artist, who helped establish the core look of the game; Wyatt Cheng, our senior technical game designer, who writes many of our blogs and works tirelessly on the live game. All these people and many others made the commitment to Diablo even after Blizzard North shut down. It was hard for me to see their contributions be diminished by someone they worked alongside, and even harder for me not to try to jump to their defense. I only wish I'd done so in a more professional manner.

Joining the Diablo team was a dream come true for me. In my house, the name Diablo was always spoken in hushed tones. It meant late nights that turned into early mornings, moments of pure adrenaline and pure joy. It meant countless conversations, debates, scouring websites for good builds, and more than one or two sick days. :) When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state... and she was pregnant at the time! I played Diablo II with my dad during one of the most difficult times of his life, and the experience brought me closer to him, and I hope helped him through it. I joined the Diablo team because the idea of a world without more Diablo seemed like a pretty crappy world to me. I wasn't sure if I'd be good enough. I'm still not sure. But I felt I had to try.

Regardless of how I've done, my team has been more than good enough, and I'm proud of the game we made together. We believe it's a great game. But Diablo III has flaws. It is not perfect. Sales mean nothing if the game doesn’t live on in all of our hearts, and standing by our games is what Blizzard does. Patch 1.0.4 is a step in the right direction, but we have no illusions that our work is done.

Playing Diablo III needs to be a rewarding experience. The new legendaries are a big step in the right direction, as are tweaks to item drop rates. But I'm not convinced that we've gone far enough. If you don't have that great feeling of a good drop being right around the corner -- and the burst of excitement when it finally arrives -- then we haven't done our jobs right. Out of our concern to make sure that Diablo III would have longevity, we were overly cautious about how we handled item drops and affixes. If 1.0.4 hasn’t fixed that, you can be sure we'll continue to address it.

Part of the problem, however, is not just item drops, but the variety of things to do within the game. Many of you have stated that there needs to be more to the game than just the item hunt, and we agree completely. The Paragon system is a step in the right direction, giving meta-progress for your time in the game, but it does little to address the variety of activities you can do while playing. I don't think there’s a silver-bullet solution to this problem, but I do think we can make this aspect of the game better, and as such we're planning more than just PvP for the next major patch. Not trying to be coy, but we're still firming things up and will talk about this as soon as we can.

Difficulty has been a constant source of division when discussing the game. Some players believe Diablo has never been about crushing challenges, but more about efficiency and farming. Some players want a game that tests them to their limits. Neither player is wrong. As it stands, Diablo III simply does not provide the tools to allow players to scale the game challenge to something appropriate for them. We set Inferno as the high watermark and took a one-size-fits-all approach to game challenge. Later in the development of Diablo II, the 'players 8' command -- which let people set monster difficulty -- was added to address this issue, and we're considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

The Auction House has also proven to be a big challenge. It adds a lot of power for players to trade and acquire items. Getting a great Monk drop that you can trade for better gear for your Wizard is obviously a great benefit, but it does come with a downside. The Auction House can short circuit the natural pace of item drops, making the game feel less rewarding for some players. This is a problem we recognize. At this point we're not sure of the exact way to fix it, but we’re discussing it constantly, and we believe it's a problem we can overcome.

While these are some of the major issues with Diablo III, they aren't the only things we're looking at. On a daily basis we ask ourselves if the classes are satisfying to play, if rares and champions are fun to fight, if they’re tuned well relative to normal monsters. Can we make further improvements to social elements of the game? How can items be even better?

We made Diablo III because we believe in the Diablo games. We think the gameplay is awesome, the world is compelling, and it's the game we all wanted to play. Because we believe in it, we'll continue to stand by it and make it better. We are committed to making Diablo III the best Diablo game to date, and we hope you'll continue to help us do just that.

Saying that, I'd like to apologize to all of you, the players in our community. You deserve better than my reaction to Dave's comments. You deserve more honest communication about the game and what we're doing to make it a more awesome experience for us all. We care about Diablo very much, and appreciate your passion for it. Without you, we wouldn't be able to do this, and for that I can't thank you enough.

Wow, pretty neat to see such a post. I'm hoping it's honest and not publicity BS. We'll see what happens.

Wow, pretty neat to see such a post. I'm hoping it's honest and not publicity BS. We'll see what happens.

Yeah I agree, while we have to wait patiently to see where this game is going to end up, its def nice and reassuring to hear about the passion and commitment they have to making this a great game. Hopefully when all is said and done it will be.

That's a decent shield. 257 str? + AR+ vit+socket. Block and armor is a bit low, but a good shield overall. Also missing crit chance as well, but good decent. Not sure if 5 mil good, but I would probably use it.

Fuck that los... nah, good to see he is at least appearing to swallow some pride. Whether it's PR, honesty, or a mix of both, he made a smart move.

Unsuprisingly, he didn't say what he said out of sheer arrogance. At least he finally made a formal statement out his "poor choice of words" regardless. :p

Back