Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Please don't assume I'm crying because I want the game nerfed. I enjoy and prefer difficult games. Im just getting frustrated because I feel stuck and clearly I am doing something wrong since I know people have cleared act2 with less gear.

The spec I have had the most success with is piercing orb/blizzard/venom hydra. I usually use prismatic armor, force weapon and diamond skin as my three other skills but I am playing around with teleport as well. Im using Blur/Cold Blooded/Astral presence as passives.

I wish I had a bit more LoH and life steal. I can play melee tank with spectral blades, critical mass and diamond skin in act 1 but I can't outheal the damage in act 2. Bummer because I enjoy that playstyle much more than running away from everything :p

Wizard. I've tried a couple builds. Melee tank builds don't work as I don't have enough LoH or critical %. Kite builds are good but certain elite packs are nearly impossible to kite.

As others have said, certain affixes for ranged are just impossible without heavy gear investment(AS and LoH for your wizard, your defensive stats look about right). One of the reasons I stopped playing all 3 of my ranged chars and just went with my monk.

Also a lot of A2 is designed to be ranged unfriendly (Lacuni and snakes anyone?). It's A LOT easier for ranged in A3 and hell for melee in A3. Not sure if that was intended or not.

And don't bother investing in life steal on a wizard IMHO until you are at least at 50k DPS unbuffed. It's FAR more effective for Barb/Monk due to the way your skills work I believe (does hydra even proc life steal???)

Hydra doesn't proc life steal afaik. The only reason I would go for life steal is for spectral blades / diamond skin tanking. If you haven't seen that spec basically you go with high critical %, spec wicked wind and spectral blades, and it crits so frequently that you can essentially spam diamond armor and tank as a wizard. I don't have quite enough crit or life steal to make it workable in higher acts though.

Ill try just pushing forward onto act 3 then and see if it gets any easier. Seems like the kiting specs will be my best bet.

For what class are you using it?

My Barb. Feel that it should last me a while and I only farm act1 anyway. Still working on the rest of my armor.

Anyone want to MF act1 tonight? I should be on a while. Just add pizzahut4lif#1685. I really need more people who play regularly.

Please don't assume I'm crying because I want the game nerfed. I enjoy and prefer difficult games. Im just getting frustrated because I feel stuck and clearly I am doing something wrong since I know people have cleared act2 with less gear.

The spec I have had the most success with is piercing orb/blizzard/venom hydra. I usually use prismatic armor, force weapon and diamond skin as my three other skills but I am playing around with teleport as well. Im using Blur/Cold Blooded/Astral presence as passives.

Clearing an act can mean many things, and that includes skipping most elite packs entirely while corpse zerging. I remember doing just that a long time ago with awful gear, but that didn't make me the "better" player.

The amount of gear it takes to play through an act comfortably is way higher than it takes to simply complete the act. It depends on how much you can tolerate dying and corpse zerging. For example, my friend absolutely refuses to make progress in Inferno until he can take on most elite packs in his way, and as a result he'll be stuck in Act 3 for a long time even though he may be capable of reaching Diablo by now.

My Barb. Feel that it should last me a while and I only farm act1 anyway. Still working on the rest of my armor.

Anyone want to MF act1 tonight? I should be on a while. Just add pizzahut4lif#1685. I really need more people who play regularly.

Sure. Youre a barb I guess? That would be very helpful. :p I do mf runs all the time. I do a lot of act1, but do some act2 as well.

Ill add you. My handle is fallengod. So if you see that invite, its me.

Do you have any MF? Because high mf with low mf players makes it split the mf and my mf then becomes lower if you have none. I really only like mfing with people who have similar mf(around 180-200).

Sure. Youre a barb I guess? That would be very helpful. :p I do mf runs all the time.

Ill add you. My handle is fallengod. So if you see that invite, its me.

Do you have any MF? Because high mf with low mf players makes it split the mf and my mf then becomes lower if you have none. I really only like mfing with people who have similar mf(around 180-200).

Currently your MF is out of my league. I'm working on getting MF with my gear.

Clearing an act can mean many things, and that includes skipping most elite packs entirely while corpse zerging. I remember doing just that a long time ago with awful gear, but that didn't make me the "better" player.

The amount of gear it takes to play through an act comfortably is way higher than it takes to simply complete the act. It depends on how much you can tolerate dying and corpse zerging. For example, my friend absolutely refuses to make progress in Inferno until he can take on most elite packs in his way, and as a result he'll be stuck in Act 3 for a long time even though he may be capable of reaching Diablo by now.
I try to kill most packs. I don't see the point of doing the harder acts if you aren't getting gear for it. I'd rather clear act1 for a massive profit than clear act2 but skip 50% of the monsters. I'm just getting tired of act1, even though I can clear it quickly without skipping any packs at all regardless of affix.

This is why I wish they had a better random dungeon setup. D3 is not very random at all.

Last edited:
Well, we can do some runs and Ill see how it goes. Having a tank with me is helpful enough probably to overlook the lack of mf.
Have they commented at all on changing how mf is averaged in a party? It makes it so no one wants to group and it sucks. It should just be every player has their own MF.

Inferno works really well as a team my barb can hold most packs while the range and casters do damage, also a monk tanking with me leads to much carnage. Soloing act II just sucks really unless u have 500 million or so. Although when other players run off and drag in packs or don't play together death comes swiftly hehe.

Well, we can do some runs and Ill see how it goes. Having a tank with me is helpful enough probably to overlook the lack of mf.

I've mostly been farming act 1 also, wizard here. I've got 223% mf if you wanna do runs sometime.

Oh wow. Just died on my 60 Wiz. RIP.

To the most unlikely mob... a champion skeleton archer pack. Fire chains somehow killed me instantly. Not sure how that happened since I was happily face tanking everything in A1 before tonight.

Inferno works really well as a team my barb can hold most packs while the range and casters do damage, also a monk tanking with me leads to much carnage. Soloing act II just sucks really unless u have 500 million or so. Although when other players run off and drag in packs or don't play together death comes swiftly hehe.
I never had 500 million, and am able to solo A2 just fine with my monk. :cool: A3 is another story... can't do shit in there :p

I've mostly been farming act 1 also, wizard here. I've got 223% mf if you wanna do runs sometime.

Sure. whats your tag? You have slightly more mf than me but thats a good thing. I think I have around 180% or something like that. PM me if you dont wanna post it here.

Have they commented at all on changing how mf is averaged in a party? It makes it so no one wants to group and it sucks. It should just be every player has their own MF.

I completely agree. I dont know what they were thinking with this idea. "Hey lets penalize players with high mf in parties and help poor players get better drops who havnt invested money on mf items. This is a good idea." Blizzard are idiots, what can I say. They derped D3 in many ways for coop play. D3 actually gets harder for coop play which makes zero sense. D2 was easier with coop play, how they failed this basic game play mechanic is mindblowing.

Last edited:

If they did that, the people wearing all MF blues making you carry them will make you want to group even less.

2k regen with 600 loh and 3% lifesteal helps.. but act 2 still sucks for dh in inferno:p

Well I've got around a dozen unidentified lvl 13 rares saved up so far. Oh and I found yet another crappy legendary today" butcher's sickle."

It's awful to try to search for Mojo's on the AH. Anyone have a guess at what the following would be worth in RMAH?

69-208 Damage
83 Dex
86 Int
147 Vitality
9% Life
108 Life per second

Also what should I value unid 63 helm, spear, and 62 quiver (that's max for quiver right?) at?

Probably not too much. No crit % chance and arcane power on crit.

To the most unlikely mob... a champion skeleton archer pack. Fire chains somehow killed me instantly. Not sure how that happened since I was happily face tanking everything in A1 before tonight.

Jesus... you rolled wiz on hardcore? Crazy. And ya, RIP.

A bunch of my buddies have been asking me to make a video of how I run Siegebreaker. I registered a full version of fraps and recorded a 30 minute gameplay video. But even at half size and 29 fps, the file's 33 gb :( Next time I'll lower resolution before doing a run so that I can actually upload it and have it encoded before a week is over.

Here is a short clip of my wizard build on a blue and yellow pack together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlX6x6_bYKE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
So I sucked it up and cleared all of Act 2 Inferno last night. I had much better luck with elite/champion spawns this time. Only had to skip maybe 4-5 packs, out of probably 25-30. My friend (also a similarly geared wizard) joined me for Khule and Belial and I came out pretty much even on gold after repair costs, which isn't bad. Thanks for the encouragement internets :D

Can someone explain to me why the chipped gems are going for so much gold? Am I missing something? I was looking to free up some space and checked the auction house to see what I could get there and the chipped gems are going for 1,000 gold or more.

ouch sorry man :(

What happens to your gear and stash when you die? Do you still have access to the stuff you were storing or is that gone too?

What happens to your gear and stash when you die? Do you still have access to the stuff you were storing or is that gone too?

Your gear, character, and everything in his inventory is gone. The gold and the stuff in your stash stays

I believe you lose everything on your body, but keep your entire stash.

oops, already answered

Probably not too much. No crit % chance and arcane power on crit.

Jesus... you rolled wiz on hardcore? Crazy. And ya, RIP.

A bunch of my buddies have been asking me to make a video of how I run Siegebreaker. I registered a full version of fraps and recorded a 30 minute gameplay video. But even at half size and 29 fps, the file's 33 gb :( Next time I'll lower resolution before doing a run so that I can actually upload it and have it encoded before a week is over.

Here is a short clip of my wizard build on a blue and yellow pack together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlX6x6_bYKE&feature=youtu.be

You should use a program to shrink the size of the file and cut it into parts. Then you can upload it much easier. I think Handbrake should do that for you although I use something else.

Great video btw. I wish I could get my moves to execute like that when I played but the lag just killed the game for me. That's exactly how I envisioned a Wizard would play. Thanks for sharing!

You should use a program to shrink the size of the file and cut it into parts. Then you can upload it much easier. I think Handbrake should do that for you although I use something else.

Great video btw. I wish I could get my moves to execute like that when I played but the lag just killed the game for me. That's exactly how I envisioned a Wizard would play. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

As for my 33 gb file, I ended up using Windows Movie Maker to compress it down to a 1.2 GB, 640x480 resolution file. However, I get errors after 30 seconds of uploading to youtube. It gave me a few suggestions, but I still can't get it to upload.

In my video, one of the related links on the right is a guy who does what I did in about 1/4 of the time. I don't have the resists to pull that off, but it does look like lots of fun. I have a feeling that build wouldn't work with invulnerable minions though.

Finally broke into Act 3 Inferno after changing skills and switching around some gear I was going to put on the AH. Then proceed to spend 70k in repairs on the first two mobs in Act 3.

:rolleyes: The fuck

Nice job with that, I probably would have died several times over to take out such a pack. :D This had me curious about my own farming times so I busted out fraps and did a recording. Clocked in at 33 mins from the moment I started the game to logging out. I usually get the resplendent chest in the ice cave, which can add some time. I don't actively wear MF gear, and just try to do the swapping just before killing Siegebreaker. I wonder if I should try the 1H/OH combo and mix up my build a bit. I've been lugging around a slow 2H mace since forever. I just don't have the gold and enough curiosity to experiment though.

Nice job with that, I probably would have died several times over to take out such a pack. :D This had me curious about my own farming times so I busted out fraps and did a recording. Clocked in at 33 mins from the moment I started the game to logging out. I usually get the resplendent chest in the ice cave, which can add some time. I don't actively wear MF gear, and just try to do the swapping just before killing Siegebreaker. I wonder if I should try the 1H/OH combo and mix up my build a bit. I've been lugging around a slow 2H mace since forever. I just don't have the gold and enough curiosity to experiment though.

33 minutes is probably what I average. This assumes that there are only five elites before siegebreaker. Sometimes, you can get as many as 7 or 8 if you want to include the underbridge. This lengthens the run to 40 or more minutes. I'll check out the underbridge occasionally, but because of limited kite room, the elite won't be worth it to me unless it is an easy combo. I don't typically do the run death free, but I happened to get it on video yesterday. I still can't upload the dang file! Youtube has been giving me the same server error message a dozen times over now. I've tried uploading the original files, the files compressed through Windows Video Maker as well as through Handbrake. The one file I was able to get online was clipped and compressed through Video Maker and was only about 100 megs. Their trouble shooting section was not very helpful at all. Tried all their suggestions to no avail. What other websites do people upload gameplay videos to?

You should definitely give the 1 hand / source combo a try. The cast animation for me is the biggest benefit over using a slow 2 hander. I think my attack speed is about 1.8-1.9. If it were closer to 1.0, I don't think I would have taken that pack without dying.

That's pretty fast if you start from the quest before killing Siegebreaker. I tend to start from the "kill Siegebreaker" quest. This lets me port to Rakkis Crossing, pick up Tyrael and clear the area up to the demon gate (very short area). Depending on the spawns, you can get 2 elite kills, 3 including The Underbridge, all near each other. Some elites hide out at the sides of the demon gate entrance so its good to look around there. Once that's over with, I head back to the bridge and farm up the rest of the stacks. A lucky encounter like that can cut a tremendous amount of time from the run.

As for the video, do you have privileges to upload longer than 15 mins? That may cause problems, though I'd think it would warn you. Youtube tends to upload anything you throw at it. The upload limit is 20 GB if I remember correctly, so it shouldn't be a problem with a 1.2 GB file.

With my 2H weapon, I use Electrocute with the Lightning Blast rune (turns it into a projectile like the popular Shock Pulse rune). Its super weak but feels pretty good. I guess it's the compromise I make for having stronger Blizzards.

I just went back and recorded 4 different videos of various file sizes ranging from 900 MB to 4 GB. Each one gave me the same server error when I attempted to upload. So Frustrating! Then I took the smallest file and compressed it using Movie Maker and it was able to upload the 65 MB file. It uploaded and processed in less than five minutes. It's unfortunate that the quality is horrid.

As for starting at Rakkis Crossing, I don't like doing that because then you have to work southbound, rather than north bound. This is a lot harder because the monsters see you before you see them.

Do you have gameplay footage too?

EDIT: Uploaded an elite fight in the Underbridge. This was only 65MB, so was uploaded before it had a chance to give me a server error. Then I tried uploading a 220 MB file and it failed three different times. Once at 50%, 95%, then 20%.

And I'm pretty sure I do have privileges to upload longer than 15 minutes, though that's not the issue as I'm getting errors even on five minute videos.

Last edited:
So finally decided to push forward on inferno a bit with my monk instead of hanging about farming Act I. Tried to kill Belial for about 45 minutes, was unsuccessful, and had to leave for work. That dude is fucking difficult toward the end when he just starts SPAMMING the friggin explosions-from-the-sky shit. It's almost impossible to get more than 1-2 hits in between bouts of that shit raining from the sky, and there are so many explosions it's nigh-on impossible to successfully avoid it time and time again. I keep getting him down to ~1/3rd health and then he starts doing it. Perhaps it's an enrage timer?

I tweaked my build from when I last posted about it, I'm at ~970 resists, 19k DPS, 29k HP, and ~1500 life on hit with a meaningless amount of regen. I tried switching from the dodge mantra to the healing one, but I just keep getting to the same place and eventually dying. I can literally just stand there in front of him and not move the entire time, until he starts the explosion spamming. I was thinking about whether I need to increase my LoH or health regen, but I'm just not sure I can get it high enough to withstand the explosions (I think the ones at the end or one shot kills!?). Any tips? :(

EDIT: If it is an enrage timer, perhaps I should start using the mantra of increase-your-damage-lots?

Last edited:
Back