Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Cataclysm wasnt as bad launch night, but I guess WoW servers are on a different class (in price and capacity) than D3 servers.

I took part in the Cataclysm launch beta and remember it being pretty great. I was able to get in within about 15 minutes of when the servers went live and the majority of that time was waiting for my position to come up in queue. So no real big-deal there.

The worst part was the community full of jerks on extremely large flying mounts attempting to cover the required-storyline-portal to start the cataclsym quest chain. I swear there was 100+ ppl on my server all on their largest mounts sitting around, in and on the portal to prevent ppl from being able to click on it for fun :)

I recommend checking the auction house every so often.. Sometimes people put up something really good for a really low buy it now price.

I have to laugh at the people wanting 100k+ for some items though. The auction only lasts 2 days. No matter how epic the gear nobody will get that much gold that quick.

You can buy with real money I think.

I recommend checking the auction house every so often.. Sometimes people put up something really good for a really low buy it now price.

I have to laugh at the people wanting 100k+ for some items though. The auction only lasts 2 days. No matter how epic the gear nobody will get that much gold that quick.

Agreed. Not everyone is unresaonable. I threw up a bunch of 76-armor type rare pants with 4 magic-properties for 2k each just b/c they weren't the right stats for a wizard just to recover the cost of crafting it.

It's funny how you can tell how some people have no idea how the AH works, and probably think they can really get 10,000 gold for those level 8 pants.

You can buy with real money I think.

not yet. I'm curious how much real money people will want to charge.

Agreed. Not everyone is unresaonable. I threw up a bunch of 76-armor type rare pants with 4 magic-properties for 2k each just b/c they weren't the right stats for a wizard just to recover the cost of crafting it.

I might have bought something from you then lol. Nah, I got a couple really good rares for under 2k each.

Real Money auction house is not out yet. Comes out next week. Unless you were talking about buying gold from chinese gold farmers... and then using that gold to buy a 100k item on the gold auction house. Lol.

That 100k gold is gonna cost you over $400 from the chinese farmers. I just checked to see haha. That's nuts!

tweeted 3 minutes ago:
BlizzardCS ‏ @BlizzardCS

We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for #D3 servers in the Americas to resolve several issues.

really?

tweeted 3 minutes ago:
BlizzardCS ‏ @BlizzardCS

We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for #D3 servers in the Americas to resolve several issues.

really?

:rolleyes: I guess I'll be in bed before its fixed

Anyone know an estimate on the current downtime? The forums are Battle.net are just ridiculous... I hit refresh and there is another 2-3 pages every minute or two.

[url said:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149005198#1][/url]

The Blizzard family of websites is currently undergoing maintenance to improve your browsing experience. Thank you for your patience!

we don't care so much about the website. we want the game! wife gonna come home soon.

You'd think they'd play on the safe side for capacity, but I wonder how far above actual numbers are above what they considered "safe guess"

Cataclysm wasnt as bad launch night, but I guess WoW servers are on a different class (in price and capacity) than D3 servers.

Well, it's not like you can buy servers that automatically handle a certain amount of traffic. This is Blizzard. They have experience launching ground-breaking games. It's not a matter of money, but configuration and optimization.

Another fail launch.

This time, brought to you by Blizzard.

It seems that no game company can get their shit done right. Oh well.

I have heard a ton of people I know buy this who aren't gamers at all. It really might've been that Blizz underestimated how popular this was going to be.

I have heard a ton of people I know buy this who aren't gamers at all. It really might've been that Blizz underestimated how popular this was going to be.

I have a lot of friends that have been out of gaming for years that are coming back because of D3.

Well, it's not like you can buy servers that automatically handle a certain amount of traffic. This is Blizzard. They have experience launching ground-breaking games. It's not a matter of money, but configuration and optimization.

or.. add a queue.. like every mmo.. So they dont get overloaded.

I switched to the Asia servers for now, nothing is brought over between servers so it's a good time to test other classes.

All the data is server side = much better online experience. And before you say "learn to stop exploits." The very way to stop them is by knowing how to make them. It doesn't matter how good the code is, if the data is client side, it can and will be manipulated.

Have an offline, single/Lan only mode where characters created there can't be played online perhaps?

This isn't an MMO...and there's still crashes, errors, problems with queues/overflow system. I just find it funny that people are raging over this :rolleyes:

This isn't an MMO...and there's still crashes, errors, problems with queues/overflow system. I just find it funny that people are raging over this :rolleyes:

Thank you captain obvious. If you didn't get what i meant.. sorry for you.

If they stop allowing people to open new instances to play solo then they wouldn't have these problems. Team up or don't play!

Or they could have added in an offline mode. Just saying! :)

Have instructions on how to do this?

Its in your options. Start the game to the point where you are being asked to enter your password but don't. Click on options on the left hand side, go to 'account' and change the region drop down box to Asia. Hit apply/accept, login. Follow same instructions but 'The Americas' to turn it back afterwards.

Is anything else thinking Blizzard is having more than just 'minor' issues or that these issues are more like an unexpected server crash/hardware failures to take the game down now at a fairly high-demand time-frame as opposed to say 2:00am-6:00am?

I'm hoping for their sake that they had some kind of catastrophic equipment failure, because otherwise this is downright pathetic at best.

Is anything else thinking Blizzard is having more than just 'minor' issues or that these issues are more like an unexpected server crash/hardware failures to take the game down now at a fairly high-demand time-frame as opposed to say 2:00am-6:00am?

I'm just surprised it isn't more distributed...they have to take the entire thing down instead of cutting off one box and adding another? Perhaps that is simplistic, but shouldn't it not be an all or nothing affair?

Dude they bought Dells. Hopefully they get it sorted out, the game is a blast to play when you can get into it.

Got to play a whole 20 minutes all day. I work in infrastructure, manage data centers and application uptime on all my systems. If something like this happened under my watch, I wouldn't have a job.

I'm dumb founded that ANY company in the world has to completely down a system to perform any kind of maintenance. It proves to me that their infrastructure teams are inept, and this isn't an accident. They build systems, they test load and they prepare for months before something like this. And no failure of any kind should mean taking everything down for 'maintenance' of any kind.

Its very unprofessional, forget the customers for a second and their rage. The idea that the staff is ok with taking the system offline is laughable.. and the furthest thing from professional.

edit. Just saw a Tweet that they'll be down for 2 more hours! lol http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149175175

Also, guarantee guys that every server they are running is virtual. This is a good thing, easy to control expand etc.. My guess is this has nothing to do with server load, they could leave servers online and bleed in new virtual servers in a matter of hours to compensate. My guess is severe data base overload, blocked spIDs in SQL from millions of users locking SQL tables with authentication requests. The only reason you take down everything is when the one thing they all connect into has to be downed ...

... the database cluster(s). Bet money on serious database issues, rescripting fixes that once deployed can take several hours to then replicate throughout the cluster. You cannot let users into the system until anything non blob data has finished replicating. Thats why they can say 2 hours, because they're expecting it done in the next 30 but are giving themselves enough time to test afterwards to ensure everything is functional.

Last edited:
Aside from the server stability issues, what is with the lag? I ping WoW at 20ms, but I ping D3 at 250-400ms? From the US on a US server? And I have seen other people with the same issue.

I alt-tabbed and ran speedtest.net to my max speed and 5ms, so it doesn't seem like its on my end.

And this combat that supposedly is not affected by latency is bs--my DH will randomly not fire for a few seconds.

Heh, the Asian servers are working fine. Thanks for the tip.

With the system specs in my sig, do you guys think I'd be better off:

A) unchecking the max and min fps sliders, leaving vsync disabled, and just let the graphics card do its thing? (some people have said this is too much stress on the gpu)

B) should I leave the sliders checked, leave vsync off, but drop the max fps down to 60 on the slider since my monitor's refresh rate is 60hz?

Back