diablo 3 accounts hacked

I've heard that theory so many times and I think it's irrelevant. The number of would be SP only players is such a low percentage of the total... and how many of those would really spend money on the RMAH?

You're missing the point. It's not SP only people that would do it. I played a lot of multiplayer D2, and eventually wondered what it would be like if I actually had all the items for the builds that I wanted to try.

I downloaded the character editor and made single player character with all those items and tried it out. After that the mystery was gone and I really didn't have a desire to play all that much.

If there is no other way for me to try out a build than to actually get the items, it's going to take more time and effort or money.

I'll point out again, that when I lost my FFXI authenticator, I was able to play script kiddie and remove it from my own locked account with an exploit I got through someone on a FFXiApp forum. Took 10 min tops.

I wouldn't be putting much faith in the security tokens, sure they might work fine when they are in place, but it was trivial to get it removed from the account without any cooperation from Square Enix...I don't have the slightest clue how to create my own 'tools' but had no problem 'finding' one...

I know that tool was probably infested with had all kinds of keyloggers and shit, but I didn't care, by that time I only played to goof off and troll a little, I didn't really care if I got banned/hacked.

But if ya'll want to keep on believing that an authenticator makes you unhackable then whatever I don't really care.

lulz. This has never happened with a blizzard product and hopefully never will. Not sure why you felt the need the share it.

I'll point out again, that when I lost my FFXI authenticator, I was able to play script kiddie and remove it from my own locked account with an exploit I got through someone on a FFXiApp forum. Took 10 min tops.

I wouldn't be putting much faith in the security tokens, sure they might work fine when they are in place, but it was trivial to get it removed from the account without any cooperation from Square Enix...I don't have the slightest clue how to create my own 'tools' but had no problem 'finding' one...

I know that tool was probably infested with had all kinds of keyloggers and shit, but I didn't care, by that time I only played to goof off and troll a little, I didn't really care if I got banned/hacked.

But if ya'll want to keep on believing that an authenticator makes you unhackable then whatever I don't really care.

Haven't heard of any Blizzard exploit allowing the removal of authenticators for Battle.net accounts. Authenticators make you as close to unhackable as possible.

I just logged in and find out all my shits are gone beside 1 ring...

WTF?

You're missing the point. It's not SP only people that would do it. I played a lot of multiplayer D2, and eventually wondered what it would be like if I actually had all the items for the builds that I wanted to try.

I downloaded the character editor and made single player character with all those items and tried it out. After that the mystery was gone and I really didn't have a desire to play all that much.

If there is no other way for me to try out a build than to actually get the items, it's going to take more time and effort or money.

Well first off D3 really doesn't have builds like D2 where they are irreversible.

Second off you just proved my point. You got all the god items so you stopped playing. Most developers don't want this as to why you see gameshark devices not around anymore.

Plus they don't want their games reverse engineered for hacks.

I think you're very naive if you think people who used trainers will now spend a ton of money to the same effect. I'm not even sure where to begin with that train of logic, but I think it speaks for itself with how ridiculous it is.

I think you're very naive if you think people who used trainers will now spend a ton of money to the same effect. I'm not even sure where to begin with that train of logic, but I think it speaks for itself with how ridiculous it is.

+1. I tried to point that out with the Mustang logic. If people can find a way to get something for free and it is easy to do, people aren't going to just "go out and buy the item now".

Similar with most internet pirates.

+1. I tried to point that out with the Mustang logic. If people can find a way to get something for free and it is easy to do, people aren't going to just "go out and buy the item now".

Similar with most internet pirates.

Of course they won't. They also won't destroy the economy with dups.

I understand them...I don't agree with them, what don't you understand about that. Diablo 3 is getting hit on Metacritic due to the server issues directly related to having always online drm for everyone. That is a fact. There have been multiple reviews and articles on why that is not a good thing, explaining it much better than I can. That is a fact. Reports of usernames/passwords getting hacked when trying to logon...that would happen to everyone, except people playing SP if always online wasn't required. That is a fact.

Metacritic is getting hit by trolls not critics. The only facts on metacritic is that is represents less than a 1/10 of a percent of the diablo 3 community and thats assuming all of those user reviews are actually people who bought the game and even that is unlikely. Stop trying so hard to troll you're not even doing it well.

Funny , I can remember Diablo 1 and 2 having the "Singleplayer" option. Multiplayer games don't have singleplayer options.

If you played Diablo 1 or 2 you know that for one SP was garbage and basically unplayable at harder difficulties. It's kind of silly to use those two as an analogy because Diablo 3 actually supports solo play more thoroughly. However its a multiplayer game thats what diablo is and thats what its always been. You can play alone but its not ideal theres a reason they made benefits to playing co-op

Of course they won't. They also won't destroy the economy with dups.

Not like Diablo 1 where every multiplayer game had the archangel staff of awesomeness.

If people are able to dupe the best items in the game then they will flood the AH. If enough best items flood the AH then it drives the price down to a level where people could just buy the best items in the game with like 5,000 gold.

What is the incentive for people playing the game if the best items in the game can be had in under and hour of game play.

Then people would bitch to blizzard about how they let this happen!

I have never been affected by hacks in a Blizzard product (played WoW from 05-06, D2 years prior) but I am very careful with my gaming machine, on an almost paranoid level. I won't use the system for usual browsing, like forums, social media, searches, etc. I use my netbook or phone for that (which also in the long run, saves on power).

I am not really worried about this issue. My battle.net password isn't shared with any other sites, and I have an authenticator prompt upon every login. My email address of my account is used on other sites, but my email password is also unique. One larger issue that has stemmed up only recently is that your battle.net account email address has become much easier to retrieve due to the Real ID system; if attackers can get into your email, just about every one of these security measures can be circumvented. Although an attacker going through that much work would likely be for a larger yield (like an entire WoW account, not a few hundred thousand gold in D3).

Security is only as good as the people implementing it, do everything on your end and hope Blizzard can keep up.

I used a trainer. I will probably be purchasing stuff from the RMAH.
I fail to see your point.

Not like Diablo 1 where every multiplayer game had the archangel staff of awesomeness.

If people are able to dupe the best items in the game then they will flood the AH. If enough best items flood the AH then it drives the price down to a level where people could just buy the best items in the game with like 5,000 gold.

What is the incentive for people playing the game if the best items in the game can be had in under and hour of game play.

Then people would bitch to blizzard about how they let this happen!

Dupes aren't possible with D3 anymore than they are with WoW. I am failing to see your point. This is one of the major reasons Blizzard move to the always on client/server implementation. An auction house where it was possible to have dupes would indeed be pointless.

So you are what's going to happen to every single person that used a trainer to buff a SP char?

Quite literally, every single person is going to be just like you?

These people are also a big driving force in the RMAH?

If it weren't for Battle.net 2.0 you would have not played online? You would have stuck to SP and your trainer? You would not have used the RMAH?

Seriously, get over yourself.

Dupes aren't possible with D3 anymore than they are with WoW. I am failing to see your point. This is one of the major reasons Blizzard move to the always on client/server implementation. An auction house where it was possible to have dupes would indeed be pointless.

faceplam....

I was responding to the guy who said dupes wouldn't destroy the economy, which I believe they would.

Are you saying dupes exist in WoW? Only on private servers. The problem with private servers has to do with population. People are reluctant to play on private servers due to the fact that there are lower population and because they would have to migrate all their friends over to private servers that may not exist one day.

faceplam....

I was responding to the guy who said dupes wouldn't destroy the economy, which I believe they would.

Are you saying dupes exist in WoW? Only on private servers. The problem with private servers has to do with population. People are reluctant to play on private servers due to the fact that there are lower population and because they would have to migrate all their friends over to private servers that may not exist one day.

Ops, not sure we're disagreeing.

This isn't a good correlation. First off you can't use a trainer in D3 so the easiest way for you to get items without playing the game is to buy them.

This is similar to the free to play model, only D3 isn't free to play. Buy the items doesn't destroy the economy because

1. Items that are super rare will have high asking prices that people will not pay.
2. There will be so few of these items that if someone doesn't want the item and is willing to trade it there is no negative effect on the market, only the incentive for farming that item due to supply/demand. Which I am sure blizzard is watching and plans to adjust.
3. Duping items and flooding the auction house does destroy this economy.

So far I quite doubt this is account hacking now.

It's more like a glitched in their part.
(I have work on MMO server for years, these problems are common in early stages)

Only 1 of my good ring left on my body, and the CE exclusive items line up correctly in the inventory while it was totally out of order before.

95% sure Blizzard fucked this up, even with Authenticator too.

So far I quite doubt this is account hacking now.

It's more like a glitched in their part.
(I have work on MMO server for years, these problems are common in early stages)

Only 1 of my good ring left on my body, and the CE exclusive items line up correctly in the inventory while it was totally out of order before.

95% sure Blizzard fucked this up, even with Authenticator too.

Wait, are you saying hackers/fraudsters are exploiting something on Blizzards server side to gain access to characters, or are you saying you think that the loss of gear is purely a game glitch?

I have never been affected by hacks in a Blizzard product (played WoW from 05-06, D2 years prior) but I am very careful with my gaming machine, on an almost paranoid level. I won't use the system for usual browsing, like forums, social media, searches, etc. I use my netbook or phone for that (which also in the long run, saves on power).

I am not really worried about this issue. My battle.net password isn't shared with any other sites, and I have an authenticator prompt upon every login. My email address of my account is used on other sites, but my email password is also unique. One larger issue that has stemmed up only recently is that your battle.net account email address has become much easier to retrieve due to the Real ID system; if attackers can get into your email, just about every one of these security measures can be circumvented. Although an attacker going through that much work would likely be for a larger yield (like an entire WoW account, not a few hundred thousand gold in D3).

Security is only as good as the people implementing it, do everything on your end and hope Blizzard can keep up.

This is a very good way to prevent IP spoofing, if that's how D3 players are indeed getting hacked. Force any battle.net login to request a new authentication code every time you login, as by default it will not if the IP address hasn't changed. You'll need to login to your b.net account to make the change, and it's a VERY smart thing to do.

just makes people create new accounts...assuming they dont do IP blocks.

Love companies these days "we have a flaw in our system but we will punish you for it if you become a victim!"

60 Dollars per account is pretty steep. Also, theres no flaw in their system. Its a flaw on the user's part, whether it be a virus or them entering their details into a website that they got from an email telling them blizzard needs their account details.

4 hours ago....
Thank you all for your reports, and for your investment in account security. We're treating this situation very seriously and have been from the start. While we've investigated numerous reports of Battle.net and Diablo III accounts being compromised, we have yet to find any situation wherein a player's account was accessed outside of traditional compromise methods (that is, someone logging in with an account's login email and password). Additionally, while the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

If you believe your account may have been compromised, please notify our support department as soon as possible. Contact information and instructions for account recovery can be found at http://us.battle.net/en/security/help on our Blizzard Support page. We will do all that we can to assist.

Additional security steps (which we highly recommend reviewing) are also available online. For more information visit: http://us.battle.net/en/security/checklist

As of now, they claim no one using an authenticator was hacked, but goes on to say its not full-proof. I guess we will have to believe it. I dont think this is over by any stretch...

Wait, are you saying hackers/fraudsters are exploiting something on Blizzards server side to gain access to characters, or are you saying you think that the loss of gear is purely a game glitch?

It could be either way since the CE exclusive items apparently line up correct like I just start a new character...

If it is hacker that line up for me, I have to say he is damn impressive for lining it up... :D

People are full of shit
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149008932?page=1

Turtle

Hi all, Just got hacked with an authenticator. Blizz told me they haven't detected any suspicious activity. All my items and gold are gone. Diablo = 0/10.

Bashiok

Hi Turtle. According to your account records an authenticator was not attached to the account until after the compromise. If you'd like to discuss further, or have any questions, please contact our customer service department: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

It could be either way since the CE exclusive items apparently line up correct like I just start a new character...

If it is hacker that line up for me, I have to say he is damn impressive for lining it up... :D

Was this immediately upon logging in, or after talking to Blizz and having your account rolled back?

Was this immediately upon logging in, or after talking to Blizz and having your account rolled back?

immediately after logging in.

Still havent got a reply back from Blizzard yet.

But if they don't respond by tomorrow, I don't think I will ever play D3 again....

This is the most horrendous game launch I ever had.

i think people lie about there account security in hopes that bliz will restore there account quicker or believe them.

This is another reason why bliz keeps putting it back on the customers that account security is there own task and not blizards. Everything is logged and sadly they have more situations where people claim one thing and the logs show another. In the end it looks like bliz is choosing the logs to believe and as an IT guy myself... I do not blame them.

i think people lie about there account security in hopes that bliz will restore there account quicker or believe them.

This is another reason why bliz keeps putting it back on the customers that account security is there own task and not blizards. Everything is logged and sadly they have more situations where people claim one thing and the logs show another. In the end it looks like bliz is choosing the logs to believe and as an IT guy myself... I do not blame them.

Bingo. People will try to deny all day long that they didn't try to download a bot, or hack and then when they get keylogged, it's suddenly Blizzard's fault.

Bingo. People will try to deny all day long that they didn't try to download a bot, or hack and then when they get keylogged, it's suddenly Blizzard's fault.

My gaming PC have nothing on it but games, doesn't sound like a issue to my end.

Everything else is done under my Mac, which I find it hard to believe its done under key logger.

My gaming PC have nothing on it but games, doesn't sound like a issue to my end.

Everything else is done under my Mac, which I find it hard to believe its done under key logger.

I meant the people on the B.net Forums, not you. Do you use an authenticator?

I meant the people on the B.net Forums, not you. Do you use an authenticator?

I used the one that I got BlizzCon 2011, a Diablo 3 edition..

Don't know if that counts, since most people seem to use the mobile one which looks quite different.

Sorry...knowing what has happened to Sony and a couple other gaming sites this past year I'm going to have to NOT give them the benefit of doubt. You do know that banks get hacked as well right...I'd say online gamers are more cautious about entering account details like that from an email, but who knows.

banks get hacked more then game sites.. i had to change my credit card and account number/pin 7 times with bank of the west in a 2 year period and thats only the times they admitted to their system being hacked. none of that ever got to the media either.

yay just another set back for this awesome game we all waited years for. sweet. I really wish they could give me my money back.

So you are what's going to happen to every single person that used a trainer to buff a SP char?

Quite literally, every single person is going to be just like you?

These people are also a big driving force in the RMAH?

If it weren't for Battle.net 2.0 you would have not played online? You would have stuck to SP and your trainer? You would not have used the RMAH?

Seriously, get over yourself.

:(

I don't even think we are disagreeing. I have no problem with online only, I actually prefer it because of the scenario that roaf85 pointed out...it will probably lengthen the amount of time I play.
However, to completely discount additional monetary gain in their reasoning to go online only just seems a bit naive.

Quoted for truth.

I used the one that I got BlizzCon 2011, a Diablo 3 edition..

Don't know if that counts, since most people seem to use the mobile one which looks quite different.

im sorry but i tend to lol @ people who post "I have a separate gaming rig that is used for NOTHing but gaming.

So let me ask you the following if I may and please do not take this as an attack.

When you installed windows.. How did you patch it? Did you install and update antivirus software before plugging it into your home network? If not.. then your computer was at risk.

When you updated your drivers on your freshly installed windows.. Was the computer patched to Microsoft latest patch level at the time? Was antivirus / malware protection installed and updated? Lastly did you surf directly on the computer or did you thumb drive the files over? If you surfed the net to download the files.. your computer was at risk

On any of the installed games you run on your separate rig.. Are you running only the game or do you have add on's/plugin's installed? If you do.. your computer is at risk

Bottom line.. No one knows how this happening. Nothing is hack proof. The second you connect your computer to a network it's at risk. Firewalls, antivirus, maleware protection software is hacked every minute of every day. There is not one single person who is at fault here. Stop blaming solely blizzard and open your mind up to the fact you had a part in it.

Blizzard isn't making you or anyone else do anything. You voluntarily buy the game, you also voluntarily click to launch the game as well. By doing so you agree 100% to their regulations for accessing their content.

I'm not trying to push a big argument here, just stating the obvious. I think Torchlight 2 is going to be the saving grace for my fallen Diablo fans over the DRM. I also think we should keep our eyes on Grim Dawn as well. But I am very much enjoying D3 right not, so much fun and I feel 12 years younger every time I log in.

No time in my life to complain much about gaming, its a hobby I use to relax and escape life. If my hobby ever gets to a point where I'm upset about it and vocalizing it on enthusiast forums online, perhaps its time for a new hobby. My advice for people who are upset about the DRM is to just walk away then .. don't stress about it, play something else. Blizzard doesn't owe anyone anything, we are entitled to nothing and we take 100% of the responsibility when we voluntarily buy games, agree to EULAs and sign into Blizzards systems.

truestory.jpg

Last edited:
If you notice, Blizzard did not say their wasn't a problem with their security in-game (session ID getting hacked, etc). They simply said that the break ins were through traditional stolen username, password methods. And once again people are lying about having authenticators attached to their accounts, like Blizzard isn't going to know this.

Now, if you do have an authenticator, I would STRONGLY URGE you to go onto your battle.net account and set it to require authentication at every login. At that point it won't matter if someone has your username, password, and spoofs your IP address. They still won't have your authenticator code. Protect yourself.

Back