diablo 3 accounts hacked

But ive read that the session ids arent encrypted when playing with others and you can hijack the ids so how is this users fault?

"Be aware that there are restrictions on the number of rollbacks available - it seems to be two based on answers to submitted tickets - and that being hacked more than once will cause your account to be banned permanently from using the soon-to-be-released real money auction house. "....lol. Even if it's not the fault of the user?

I decided to change my Battlenet password again after reading about it, and I can only hope the hackers are not actively pulling login credentials from Blizzard's system. :eek:

That's quite a shitty policy to be honest. Especially if there's some kind of issues on Blizzard's end.

Saying that it's "quite a shitty policy" is like saying "cancer is bad"... not a personal attack, but could a more egregious understatement be made?

It's not bad enough you drop $60 on what truly does play like a single player game but that's forced online as a form of DRM, under the guise of "being a multiplayer game" etc. etc., which then forces us all to not even have access to what amounts to a single player game when their servers or your internet shits-out, but now on top of it, all that fucking stink about why it was decided to force an always-on connection does exactly jack fucking shit to prevent them from being hacked.

Now, on top of that shit, it's the user's fault if they get hacked? If your account is hacked more than once, your account is banned? Are they fucking serious? How large of a class action lawsuit do you think would follow if they actually stood by the policy? I cant even imagine.

What blows my mind is this: there are hackers all over the world good enough at what they do to hack into government fucking systems, who in-turn are hired by our government to stop other hackers... so, what in the tossed-fuck makes Blizzard think they're so infallible!?

Are they seriously that egomaniacal to believe that they were "unhackable"!?

So, now people's enjoyment of the game is hampered even more due to Blizzard's "holier/mightier than thou" attitude as if they thought they were somehow untouchable, because now they've been totally and completely nailed.

So from what I have observed Im gonna have to take security serious with this thing.

I am going to get my AV to scan my computer each day before I log into Diablo. I am going to beef up my firewall, create a seperate 'clean' install for Diablo 3, not download anything in my 'clean' install, never touch bots or any other dodgy stuff. I will not browse the internet on my clean install too incase of drive by hacks.

Man, is this post for real?

No one has access to your personal system. It's game accounts that are being hacked. Someone hacking game accounts does not mean they have access to your personal system. It's Blizzard's servers that are being hacked, not your hard drive. Holy hell.

Man, is this post for real?

No one has access to your personal system. It's game accounts that are being hacked. Someone hacking game accounts does not mean they have access to your personal system. It's Blizzard's servers that are being hacked, not your hard drive. Holy hell.

The thing is the official Blizzard response is that 'is your fault' and that you should add an authenticator. If you get hacked a second time they will take away your auction house access as punishment for having poor security.

So if you take all necessary precautions and still got hacked you need to prove absolutely that it was their server and not you that caused the problem.

Now, on top of that shit, it's the user's fault if they get hacked? If your account is hacked more than once, your account is banned? Are they fucking serious? How large of a class action lawsuit do you think would follow if they actually stood by the policy? I cant even imagine.

We've always lived in a victim blaming society, and not just for video games. I remember the Steam forums and how negative they were towards me and others when my Steam account got hacked. "It can't possibly be (company name here)'s fault. You should have taken better care." It doesn't matter if you follow all the advice to the T and things still happen. People in general tend to be fairly icy about these issues until it happens to them. The problem is, with millions of people, being in that 1% is kind of rare, so they are naive about security. Remember, in the end, nothing is unhackable.

And you can't really file suit against them, because if you read the agreement, most likely you've waived those rights for playing the game. After all, you didn't buy the game, you licensed it, and they can terminate your ability to play for whatever reason they want too.

Just FYI, Authenticators are just another layer of security. Once you've already authenticated and the session is going, it's still open to being hijacked (unless the proper steps have been taken on the server to either encrypt the traffic or secure it some other way). People crying about an authenticator being worthless do not understand what the problem is. The authenticator DOES work, the secure session does not (or did not if they've fixed it by now).

There are tons of tricks to hijack sessions, password crack and get into others accounts. All we can do is take steps on our end to prevent it from happening, but you will never have a 100% completely secure connection when you are going across the internet.

BTW, whoever said earlier that making passwords case sensitive doesn't help is either trolling or just plain wrong. It does help.....tremendously. Please look up some information about passwords before spreading false information.

So they fixed cheating and now just have to worry about hacking and stealing due to the auction house. :rolleyes: Good job Blizzard....

People get their account hacked. How is that Blizzard's fault?

Its their fault for making us play a singleplayer game on there un secured servers.

wrong. It's actually already been confirmed that their servers werent compromised.

Bashiok
We've been taking the situation extremely seriously from the start, and have done everything possible to verify how and in what circumstances these compromises are occurring. Despite the claims and theories being made, we have yet to find any situations in which a person's account was not compromised through traditional means of someone else logging into their account through the use of their password. While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

If your account has been hacked, please view the previous post for information on contacting our support department.

wrong. It's actually already been confirmed that their servers werent compromised.

Bashiok
We've been taking the situation extremely seriously from the start, and have done everything possible to verify how and in what circumstances these compromises are occurring. Despite the claims and theories being made, we have yet to find any situations in which a person's account was not compromised through traditional means of someone else logging into their account through the use of their password. While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

If your account has been hacked, please view the previous post for information on contacting our support department.

Wrong, even if that's true...and don't believe anything yet, this wouldn't be an issue if they DIDN'T make you logon for single player...how hard is that to understand??????

PS: It would still be an issue for the rest though. :(

Last edited:
They need to have an option for privacy. As in, you don't show up in the recently played players list.

Maybe that will provide a layer of security?

I suppose it's also Blizzard's fault when people get their WoW accounts hacked too.

Wrong, even if that's true...and don't believe anything yet, this wouldn't be an issue if they DIDN'T make you logon for single player...how hard is that to understand??????

There's your mistake, D3 isn't a single player game. This isn't news. In fact, we've known about it for months before release. Get over it.

But ive read that the session ids arent encrypted when playing with others and you can hijack the ids so how is this users fault?

Just because you've read it doesn't make it true. Pretty sure the company that's been running WoW for 8 years isn't having players getting their session ids hacked. This is client/server, not peer-to-peer.

There's your mistake, D3 isn't a single player game. This isn't news. In fact, we've known about it for months before release. Get over it.

Ummm...yes it is if I want to play it that way...who are you to tell me I can't?

I wonder if Blizzard's eco system could be covered by the Anti Money Laundering and Terror Financing laws in place in most developed countries. Those laws require banks to have very strict security policy and perform customer risk evaluations.

I wonder how much online games like WoW and others are used for funding gangs, drug manufacturers, fraudsters, and for general money laundering.

It isn't covered by Bank Secrecy Act/USA PATRIOT Act regulations at this time. That being said, WOW and other virtual worlds are receiving a lot of attention in the anti-money laundering community; most conferences I go to will have at least one session on it.

Bashiok

It's all Battle.net, it isn't just D3. So WOW, SC2, etc. SC2 there isn't any profit motive (that I know of?) to hack accounts. But WOW has been heavily hacked for a long time, even with guildmates I know personally that have had authenticators (although in those cases, they were asked to be removed by the fraudsters).

Also, Battle.net seems extremely strangely coded if you're logged in and get kicked out if someone else logs in AFTER you? Shouldn't it give an error along the lines of, "This user is already logged in" or something along those lines?

Server and Client relationship is beyond your comprehension apparently haahaha

Ummm...yes it is if I want to play it that way...who are you to tell me I can't?

Jay Wilson (Game Director for Diablo 3) : Diablo has always been and will always be a multiplayer game.

Just because single player is possible doesnt mean that its a single player game

Its their fault for making us play a singleplayer game on there un secured servers.

Blizzard isn't making you or anyone else do anything. You voluntarily buy the game, you also voluntarily click to launch the game as well. By doing so you agree 100% to their regulations for accessing their content.

I'm not trying to push a big argument here, just stating the obvious. I think Torchlight 2 is going to be the saving grace for my fallen Diablo fans over the DRM. I also think we should keep our eyes on Grim Dawn as well. But I am very much enjoying D3 right not, so much fun and I feel 12 years younger every time I log in.

No time in my life to complain much about gaming, its a hobby I use to relax and escape life. If my hobby ever gets to a point where I'm upset about it and vocalizing it on enthusiast forums online, perhaps its time for a new hobby. My advice for people who are upset about the DRM is to just walk away then .. don't stress about it, play something else. Blizzard doesn't owe anyone anything, we are entitled to nothing and we take 100% of the responsibility when we voluntarily buy games, agree to EULAs and sign into Blizzards systems.

Blizzard isn't making you or anyone else do anything. You voluntarily buy the game, you also voluntarily click to launch the game as well. By doing so you agree 100% to their regulations for accessing their content.

I'm not trying to push a big argument here, just stating the obvious. I think Torchlight 2 is going to be the saving grace for my fallen Diablo fans over the DRM. I also think we should keep our eyes on Grim Dawn as well. But I am very much enjoying D3 right not, so much fun and I feel 12 years younger every time I log in.

No time in my life to complain much about gaming, its a hobby I use to relax and escape life. If my hobby ever gets to a point where I'm upset about it and vocalizing it on enthusiast forums online, perhaps its time for a new hobby. My advice for people who are upset about the DRM is to just walk away then .. don't stress about it, play something else. Blizzard doesn't owe anyone anything, we are entitled to nothing and we take 100% of the responsibility when we voluntarily buy games, agree to EULAs and sign into Blizzards systems.
Amen.

I think the funny thing here is that Blizzard explicitly stated there would be no offline single-player this time around, and you have to log in to play, even if alone. They said this multiple times, it was well documented, no one could claim they didn't know about it.

Then the game comes out, people buy it and bitch about this exact issue. I have to wonder, why exactly did they buy it if it was such a big deal to them?

Well said.

Jay Wilson (Game Director for Diablo 3) : Diablo has always been and will always be a multiplayer game.

Just because single player is possible doesnt mean that its a single player game

LOL...wut? That was not Blizzard's official statement. That was some butthurt employee pissed because people were complaining (rightfully so) about having to have an always online connection to play, even in single player mode. I think he said then this game isn't for you then? If it's possible people some will play it that way. You are trying to force people into its your way or the highway...not cool. :rolleyes:

LOL...wut? That was not Blizzard's official statement. That was some butthurt employee pissed because people were complaining (rightfully so) about having to have an always online connection to play, even in single player mode. I think he said then this game isn't for you then? If it's possible people some will play it that way. You are trying to force people into its your way or the highway...not cool. :rolleyes:

There are many very good reasons Blizzard went the client/server route. If you're unable to understand them despite being explained numerous times in multiple threads that's your problem. Needless to say, this has always been the case since the game was first announced.

There are many very good reasons Blizzard went the client/server route. If you're unable to understand them despite being explained numerous times in multiple threads that's your problem. Needless to say, this has always been the case since the game was first announced.

I understand them...I don't agree with them, what don't you understand about that. Diablo 3 is getting hit on Metacritic due to the server issues directly related to having always online drm for everyone. That is a fact. There have been multiple reviews and articles on why that is not a good thing, explaining it much better than I can. That is a fact. Reports of usernames/passwords getting hacked when trying to logon...that would happen to everyone, except people playing SP if always online wasn't required. That is a fact.

I understand them...I don't agree with them, what don't you understand about that. Diablo 3 is getting hit on Metacritic due to the server issues directly related to having always online drm for everyone. That is a fact. There have been multiple reviews and articles on why that is not a good thing, explaining it much better than I can. That is a fact. Reports of usernames/passwords getting hacked when trying to logon...that would happen to everyone, except people playing SP if always online wasn't required. That is a fact.

You mean the launch of a huge multiplayer game didn't go perfectly smooth?!? Big surprise. Yes, it sucks when you want to play and can't. I played WoW for years before and pretty much every single major patch had the same issues.

Personally, I haven't had many issues with D3. Just some lag, but I only play in evenings and didn't start until the day after release.

The only reports of people getting accounts hacked that have been verified are from people who have their passwords compromised. Most likely via a key logger. They also weren't using authenticators. So basically, the same way people get their WoW accounts hacked. Yet another surprise.

I said this in another thread, but people would still be pissed off.

Assuming they used the same model as Diablo 2 at which point once you created online characters you could not play them in offline mode.

People aren't just going to be like "oh wow I can't play on my lvl 30 character that I want to play because my account is hacked, I guess I better just play the single player and forget all about battle.net"

Nope they are going to bitch like hell.

Funny , I can remember Diablo 1 and 2 having the "Singleplayer" option. Multiplayer games don't have singleplayer options.

I think the whole login / server issues have been completely blown up for the most part. Clearly if no one was able to play we wouldn't have so many people with 100+ hours of play time right now. I've had a few hours of downtime in the past week, big deal.

The DRM evangelists have a serious hard on whenever something like this comes up. Most of them wouldn't have cared about the game if it weren't for the whispers of "DRM". Good grief.

And what you don't understand is that once you allow a character to be played offline, that opens the door for inevitable item duping/lvl 60 characters and Im sure lots of other things I'm not thinking about. Those same people ruin the AH with all of their mega items, which brings down the whole economy. And then guess what? Now instead of you bitching about being able to play offline, you're bitching about these online duppers and how blizzard shouldn't let people play their characters offline because it ruined your gaming experience.

I swear to God people will find something to complain about no matter what is going on. I just don't understand why people to continue a game they do nothing but bitch about. lol. :rolleyes:

You guys have to remember that just because some one says "Diablo has always been about multiplayer" doesn't mean that Diablo 2 was designed with the Single Player in mind. Sure you could play through the storyline with Diablo 2 offline, but that could have been because of technology.

Diablo 2 may have been designed with mutilplayer in mind, but because of the number of households not having online access many games back in the early 2000s were mutliplayer games with just the single player tacted on.

@ Bonksnp "Now instead of you bitching about being able to play offline, you're bitching about these online duppers and how blizzard shouldn't let people play their characters offline because it ruined your gaming experience.
ummm....I think in your mini tirade you over looked the fact that I was not bitching about that? I said it wouldn't happen to SP if they were able to play without requiring to logon online...wtf were you trying to point out"?

ummm....I think in your mini tirade you over looked the fact that I was not bitching about that? I said it wouldn't happen to SP if they were able to play without requiring to logon online...wtf were you trying to point out"?

He never directed that comment towards you. Reread what he said. He said other people would be bitching about it. Obviously you have never been to a blizzard forum. People bitch about anything.

He is pointing out cause and effect. Sure it wouldn't happen if they allowed a single player, for those people only playing single player. People would still bitch about this with their online characters.

Did you even know there was a battle.net option in Diablo 2 or are you just that naive?

Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned more, but not having offline single player makes more money for Blizzard.
In D2 you could take your single player character save and mod them to have whatever items/stats/skills you wanted. In D3 the only way to beef up your character and answer the "what would it be like if I had x" is to either play and get the stuff or spend money on the rmah to get it.

Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned more, but not having offline single player makes more money for Blizzard.
In D2 you could take your single player character save and mod them to have whatever items/stats/skills you wanted. In D3 the only way to beef up your character and answer the "what would it be like if I had x" is to either play and get the stuff or spend money on the rmah to get it.

I've heard that theory so many times and I think it's irrelevant. The number of would be SP only players is such a low percentage of the total... and how many of those would really spend money on the RMAH?

For me that completely killed the game. Having the most epic items give you no incentive to work for it if you can just cheat.

If someone is given a Mustang they aren't going to drive it for weeks, then say "ok I want to give this back so I can save my money and earn the Mustang"

It just doesn't work that way.

The authenticator DOES work...

While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

They also weren't using authenticators.

if you get hacked with an authenticator you have keylogger on your computer. thats the only way.

I'll point out again, that when I lost my FFXI authenticator, I was able to play script kiddie and remove it from my own locked account with an exploit I got through someone on a FFXiApp forum. Took 10 min tops.

I wouldn't be putting much faith in the security tokens, sure they might work fine when they are in place, but it was trivial to get it removed from the account without any cooperation from Square Enix...I don't have the slightest clue how to create my own 'tools' but had no problem 'finding' one...

I know that tool was probably infested with had all kinds of keyloggers and shit, but I didn't care, by that time I only played to goof off and troll a little, I didn't really care if I got banned/hacked.

But if ya'll want to keep on believing that an authenticator makes you unhackable then whatever I don't really care.

And that is exactly what i do. i tried the beta, it sucked, i then read you need to be online all teh time and said na douyble fuck that and blizzard lose a customer :) simple

Back