DHCP server broadcasting DHCP acks out all interfaces?

SYN ACK

[H]ard|Gawd
one of our NT guys just brought something to my attention.

out DHCP/DNS server has an interface on the production network, as well as a backup interface (backup network)

the backup network is a parallel network (physically seperated network hardware) and is not routed/connected to the production network. it is completely isolated for backups only.

i always make sure they do not put a gateway address on the backup network (there is no router, it's a flat network), so that no traffic accidentally goes out that interface

when they did a capture/trace on the backup NIC, they were seeing packets (DHCP ACKs/replies) from the production interface.

so say the routed / production IP of the DHCP server is 10.0.0.5

when you look at the trace on the backup interface, you are seeing the DHCP ACKs/replies from source: 10.0.0.5, destination 255.255.255.255

so it looks like the server is packaging the IP header / DHCP ACK as a layer3 broadcast, and thus sending it out every physical interface.

does anyone know why the server would be doing this, and not just sending out the DHCP ACK on the interface it received the request on?

Do you know the Server OS and DHCPD name and version (if not Windows)

I actually had something similar happen to a different type of device for me.

Turns out I had a .255 default route, lol, misconfigured for the interface that was sending the acks. I fixed it with its appropriate default route and all was good.

in other words, i pinged one interface and got the ack from the other interface. wierd.

Maybe change your server bindings on your DHCP scope to just broadcast out the one NIC?

Back