DHCP reservation migration to a new scope

I've got a project that involves updating 20 servers to have new DHCP scopes going from class C to class A.

Setting up the scopes are no big deal, but we've scopes with DHCP reservations ranging from as few as a dozen, to ten times that.

Is there an easy way to migrate these over, or am I going to have to do it manually?

192.168.17.58 -> 10.20.24.58 is fine by me for sake of automated simplicity; it'd be nice to arrange some of these into groups (.20-.50 for switches, WAPs, etc, .50-.100 for printers, etc.), but I'll do that if I end up having to do it manually.

*update*

I swear, half an hour searching, nothing. I post this here, then find a site that has what I need.

http://www.mpking.com/2013/08/using-netsh-to-export-and-import-dhcp.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Have you considered instead of creating ranges of exceptions that you have to manually create to just instead create ranges of exclusions within the DHCP scope?

For example: If your subnet is 10.2.100.0/24 and printers, start your DHCP scope at a number that is outside of your static IP address requirements. This way when you add a host within the DHCP scope as you are now you don't have to create exceptions for each individual endpoint/NAD.

I kind of thought the same thing, but the way I read it is that they are using DHCP leases on everything and using IP reservations for those devices so they always pick up the same IP. I don't know how common it is to use reservations instead of just using static IPs, (I can't say as I've heard many do that) but they might need the lease pool to cover the reservations. I'm not up to speed on Windows DHCP so I don't know if you can just make reservations outside of the scope and still assign them or if they have to be within the pool. Unless of course they are setting static IPs then in which case I would also suggest to just start the scopes at a higher IP or lower, rather than having to chop up the scope.

Set up failover DHCP and use reservations and be done with it, people trust DNS, with Server 2021 R2 you can do DHCP failover / load balance do that and do reservations with a long lease time. if both DHCP servers go down, you got bigger problems. The only thing i could do static for these days are switches / routers and core networking gear and maybe ESXi host / Hyper-V et cetera but actual servers and such, let DHCP deal with it.

Back