DHCP Question?

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
How can you run an DHCP server on a router that is set up as DHCP as well? This can't be done can it? For example, the router I have is set up as running DHCP, thus I wouldn't be able to run a DHCP server on that router would I?

having 2 DHCP servers in the same broadcast domain will produce unexpected results

[BB] Rick James said:
How can you run an DHCP server on a router that is set up as DHCP as well? This can't be done can it? For example, the router I have is set up as running DHCP, thus I wouldn't be able to run a DHCP server on that router would I?
If you mean
<DHCP from ISP> -> <router as DHCP client and DHCP server> -> <client systems are DHCP clients of the router>
This is a pretty normal setup, and almost every router should support it. If you mean something else, describe it.

[BB] Rick James said:

Huh? You mean..you want to run your own DHCP server for the network behind the rotuer..instead of using the routers DHCP service? If so...wonderfully simple..once your DHCP server is ready to go..simply disable the DHCP service on your router.

Back