DHCP Problems.

sdk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been having some problems with getting the network setup after this reformat. I have reformated the computer before and no problems with the network. At first we thought it was the cable because thats what windows was telling us, so I brought it upstairs and tried it on my cable in my room and it worked fine. The cable downstares will hookup any computer and make it work, but when I go it won't connect to the DHCP.

I have tried just about everything and I am pretty sure this is it. Nothing has changed with the network setup, and I am baffled. BEFSR41 V.2 is the model # and the cable in the computer is rated for a 10 only. And yes, I have set it to 10 in the network options. Any other suggestions on how to foward it, or something that I have overlooked would be great.

sdk said:
the cable in the computer is rated for a 10 only. And yes, I have set it to 10 in the network options.

This is the only part I would ask that you expand on a bit. Is the ethernet cable a Category 3 cable, is the network card in the computer a 10mb card?

Normally you don't need to change the settings on the network card since most will operate at the highest available speed.

Sorry, the cable is a 10, and the network card is a 10/100.

sdk said:
Sorry, the cable is a 10, and the network card is a 10/100.

Ok, where ever you made this change: "And yes, I have set it to 10 in the network options", turn off that change.

I had tried that. I have the original network card, which was a 10/100 which had been in it for the past few reformats. When it didn't work I threw in another 10/100 which didn't even give me any lights at the back where as the old one did. I have the old one in now, and its just running normaly.

Back