DHCP options for VoIP

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Hi all -

We are slowly moving towards a larger VoIP deployment. Currently, when an IP phone goes out, we give it a static IP and have to manually enter the IP of the signaling server -- we'd like to get away from this process.

We have VoIP on it's own VLAN. I think I've heard that you can setup DHCP options so that IP phones can learn the signaling server IP from DHCP. Is that true? Which option would I set?

Anything else I should be considering to ease VoIP deployment?

Thanks!

We have a Nortel Option 61C switch.

I have found the following. But my minimal testing has failed thus far:

Option 191 -- VLAN-A:240.
Option 128 -- Nortel-i2004-A,10.50.0.10:4100,1,5;10.50.0.10:4100,1,5.

Where option 191 is the VoIP VLAN number and option 128 is the signaling server IP address along with Action and Retry of S1.

Max

Totally dependant on the VOIP system, my Fonality system you just set a tftp boot option on DHCP and that makes it work.

Nortel i'm not sure on,

You need a router that can do dhcp relay or you need two dhcp servers, one for each vlan.

You need a router that can do dhcp relay or you need two dhcp servers, one for each vlan.

Wrong,

You need a helper IP on your VLAN to direct it to the single DHCP server that has multiple scopes

Each vendor has different scope settings that you have to apply to the scope. What VoIP vendor are you using?

You shouldn't have to configure static entries, that is only really used when you are configuring a phone for a user outside of your corporate network or in special instances.

Back