DHCP not working, APA instead

Falls Included

I'm happy & gay too
im at my freind house, and i just reinstalled windows and hour ago, and when i plug in the network cable, i get an invalid IP, then i refresh, and after multiple restarts and what not, i get an automatic private address. its not in the same subnet at the other 2 comps on the router. how can make the comp use the DHCP server instead of picking some random IP out of its ass

oops,. forgot the info...

linksys 4 port router, xp pro sp1, realtek chipset nic/pci

Subnets? Why the fuck are you subnetting when you only have a 4 port router? If it says invalid IP, make up on that would fit in your "subnet". what are the IP's of the other PC's? If you don't know how to make the IP fit, post the other IP's. You may also need to enable DHCP by going into the router, or a setting in the TCP/IP settings.

im not subnetting, it made its own. the normal one is 255.255.255.0, while my comp has 255.255.0.0

the other comps have the 192.168.x.x
i have 169.254.202.82 and i have no idea why
the router was just reset, and DHCP was enabled before that, it didnt work then and it doesnt work now

instead of getting a DHCP IP, i get an Automatic Private Address.

OK lime, thanks for the help, but i followed one of my suspicions, and it turns out it just didnt like the PCI slot. damnit, i hate it when its that easy

FYI - the 169.254.x.x w/ the class b subnet is what Windows will assign itself when it cannot communicate with the DHCP server.

Yes, it can be the PCI slot.

I've had times when I had two things fighting for an IRQ because of a shared slot. When that happens, all sorts of stuff just doesn't work right. Move one of the cards to another slot, magically everything works again.

I had a board a while back where the last slot and the fourth slot shared, and I had an ide controller and a nic. Whenever I engaged a file transfer, network connectivity would die, so the file transfer would die, and then network would come back up.

It took me a whole day to sort that one out.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
Yes, it can be the PCI slot.

I've had times when I had two things fighting for an IRQ because of a shared slot. When that happens, all sorts of stuff just doesn't work right. Move one of the cards to another slot, magically everything works again.

I had a board a while back where the last slot and the fourth slot shared, and I had an ide controller and a nic. Whenever I engaged a file transfer, network connectivity would die, so the file transfer would die, and then network would come back up.

It took me a whole day to sort that one out.

ditto, this happens with my tyan 2462 and sound blaster live's... if you put it in the PCI slot that shares the IRQ with the onboard scsi all hell breaks loose

That's a hardware conflict, not an explaination for why dhcp wouldn't function.

Originally posted by Brink
That's a hardware conflict, not an explaination for why dhcp wouldn't function.

so? it can have a hardware conflict and still sorta work

my soundblaster live would *work*, hardly... and whenever i tried to play music and do anything else my system would come to its knees

changed pci slot

everything is happy again

if it was not a hardware thing and a software thing, changing pci slots makes it a "new" device to the system and therefore it had to reinstall all the drivers, bind tcpip etc that also may have fixed it

Originally posted by fallsincluded

i have 169.254.202.82 and i have no idea why

When windows detects a network adapter, but can't get an IP for it, It assigns an IP out of the 169.254/16 network..... Just a Microsoft thing.

If it's an IRQ conflict it will not "sorta" work. Your problem was probably related to ACPI, or IRQ steering, which is too involved to know what the problem actually was, but even if he had a similar problem you either have IRQ conflict or you have proper steering (higher level coordiation of IRQ use) and thus you either have WORKING or NOT.

I like how people never cease LOVE proving me wrong. I simply couldn't be RIGHT of course.

Back