DHCP issues over wireless

Phandalyon

Hello [H] network gurus. Need a little help if possible.

Running a Windows 2003 SBS server on a domain.

We have approximately 10 wireless PCs connecting and approximately 12 wired PCs.

We are using a Netgear router to direct traffic and the server is handling DHCP.

All of the wired machines are working fine.

Wireless was fine with <5 PCs. Now that we have gone over that limit I am having a heck of a time with DHCP. The laptops will see the network and connect, but cannot get an IP address unless I restart the DHCP service on the server.

Any clues on this one? It seems to be an issue with the router-server communication. But I am not sure where to even start. It is obvious that we need a new router, that little Netgear is just not able to handle what this network has grown to it seems.

The odd part is that it is only affecting the wireless.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Try turning the wifi off on the machines and re-enabing it and see what happens.... that happens to me a bit, but that always fixes it.

QJ

I will give that a shot. The only potential problem is that it kils internet for the office when I restart since it is the main router, so if it needs a restart when I do that it is not a permanent solution. I can usually either power-cycle the router or restart the DHCP service on the server and it will come back up. So far restarting DHCP has been the least instrusive method of fixing the problem. This has taught me that I really need to separate my wireless system from my main router.

What are you using for DHCP? Built in service for 2003? There are some open source alternatives that will run on server 2003 that you might want to give a shot.

00ber_m00 said:
What are you using for DHCP? Built in service for 2003? There are some open source alternatives that will run on server 2003 that you might want to give a shot.

That might work. Do you have any specific ones you reccomend or should I just hunt around a bit. I will look around and see what I find.

Back