DHCP disabled on router, now can't access router cloud storage

SickBeast

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I have disabled the DHCP on my Netgear router and I have connected it in series to my Hitron Coda modem/router. I have connected a LAN port of the Hitron modem/router to a LAN port on the Netgear router (not the WAN port). This has somehow made my internet connection a lot faster. However I am now unable to access my router's USB hard drive from the cloud; I can only see it from within my local network.

Do you guys know of a way to configure my routers to make this possible? I realize this is an unorthodox setup but it's working well for me. Any info would be great.

Oh man...

The correct solution would be to put your modem into pass-through mode. Sometimes your ISP is the only one able to perform this step. Then, plug the ethernet from the LAN of your hitron modem to the WAN of the Netgear. The reason it probably feels faster is possibly due to you no longer having a double NAT situation (two routers in series WAN to LAN). What I've recommended will also not double NAT you. And, will make the Netgear directly accessible on your public WAN facing IP address.

Trying to get it working with how is not recommended. It's an unusual setup that could invite unforseen complications or risks. Use the Netgear as it's intended to be used for the best result, and make it your internet facing device as suggested above.

With your now current setup, you likely need a port forward rule in the Hitron device. The Netgear router probably had an automatic rule/setting that handled this when it was in control of DHCP. I agree with FNtastic about bridge mode on the Hitron modem. You normally only want one device pretending to be the edge device. If you do put the Hitron in bridge mode, double check all the rules in the Netgear as it is now your main wall between your data and the bad folks. And backup everything on that USB HD, just in case.

Back