DGL-4500 Suddenly Disconnecting

pc1x1

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyhow I've had a DLink DGL-4500, working great up to today. Now it keeps disconnecting all my wireless clients. Anyone having this problem? Its very strange.

You are probably under attack by a not very experienced wireless hacker. Deauthenticating the clients is a common techinque to catch ARP requests and reinject them in the network, but that sounds already too clever. A real hacker never deauthenticates more than a couple machines, if you go steal you'd better go stealth.

If you have WPA or WPA2 you are safe just by changing key every week (if it is possible). If you have WEP you already have a new guy keeping you company in surfing the net. Best wishes!

TJ

Using a real long WPA key, and I been looking at the logs, and the network settings, to see if theres any new ips etc. I don't broadcast either, but I will change the keys and router password tomorrow just in case.

Using a real long WPA key,

Fine, especially if it is random and hexadecimal.

and I been looking at the logs, and the network settings, to see if theres any new ips etc.

Excellent, as someone who regularly exploits admins' negligence I can tell you this is going to save you a lot of stolen internet connections (but not a real hacker attack, that lasts too short).

I don't broadcast either,

This does not change a thing, as I wrote in another post. You can do as you like.

but I will change the keys and router password tomorrow just in case.

Unfortunately, as you understand, this is not going to protect you from those wretches having fun in deauthenticating your clients. Good move anyway.

TJ

Back