DFS Question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Brohande, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Brohande

Brohande n00b

Hello.. sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. Not sure exactly which one this topic fits.

I am having some difficulty with some DFS management. I am attempting to migrate some folders that are on an old DFS 2008 server to a 2012 R2 server. I may have been doing it totally wrong.

I have created the File Server, installed the DFS Role, and proceeded to add the server to the existing namespace. The folders show up from the older namespace server in the DFS management page on the new server.

I replicated the data from the old server to the new server using DFSR. When I tried to add the new location as a target for the existing Folder, it stated that it couldn't because the folder wasn't empty. It then deleted the Folder link entirely from even the old server!

What do I do now? The folders are still able to be accessed at the moment through the existing namespace. But no folders show up in the management GUI under the namespace. I am having nightmares with thinking that as soon as users reboot their machines, that the folders will all of a sudden become inaccessible. Is there a way to restore the link to the existing folder on the old server so the folder shows back up in the DFS Management GUI?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.