dfi ultra infinity

jovetata

Limp Gawd
hi, i need help. i have a dfi ultra infinity board. i have bh-5 ram. in my intel system it runs 250 fsb 2226 but on my amd it doesnt even get close to that. my question is, Is there a special bios or special tweaks or mods that i can do to help my board out? i dont thing it'll even do 220 fsb without crapping out. is the board defective? should i RMA? or will volt mods help me?

if volt mods are the answer, ill pay someone to do em for me, thanx

what is the brand and model of the ram? how much voltage did the intel board require to run at 250 and what voltage are you giving the ram with your infinity? also what power supply are you using?

processor is 2600m that can run 2.7 @ 1.9 volts with air. ram is corsair twinx512-3200LLPT, bh-5 supposedly. on intel, it takes 3.2 volts but my board undervolts to 3.1. timings are 2226.

i make room by leaving the proc at like 2.0 and trying to up the fsb or ram with multiplier but to no avail. any suggestions?

edit. 3.3 with infinity and true control 550

i guess ill wait till tomorrow.. cuz u guys forgot there's no school...so u went to sleep early.. :rolleyes:

With the DFI boards, getting a high FSB seems to be very hit and miss on them. I've seen people that have gone over 250MHz FSB, and some people that can't get a stable system at much over 200MHz on them with nearly identical parts. I wouldn't say the board is "defective", it's probably just one that cant overclock well.

jovetata said:
i guess ill wait till tomorrow.. cuz u guys forgot there's no school...so u went to sleep early.. :rolleyes:

thats not a very good way to get your question answered :rolleyes:

what bios are you using? have you tried any of the betas?

thanx. ill test it for one more day then we'll see what happens.

the bios is the one that came with the board. ill try to see what the max numbers for everything is, then try a different bios. any suggestions on which one? or where to get any? i see at thier website the newest one they have is from 2003. is this correct? thanx

Only rev1.1 PC3200LL is BH-5. Anways, is it double-sided? 512MB sticks almost always are and reduce the oc. Do you have CPC on? Having CPC on gives a nice performance boost in many apps like games but reduces the ram oc. Your DFI Ultra Infinity should do 250+ FSB out of the box. If you need above 1.85V stable you usually have to do Vcore mods (ocp and vdrop). It's a good board but has cold-boot issues sometimes.

Try this modded DFI BIOS, prolly best one out there:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=321614&page=1&pp=15

The DFI infinty ultra has alot of problems, you will find alot more info over at AMDMB.com in there DFI section...

But your main problem may be that the Infinty ultra has a max core votlage of 1.825, even thought there BIOS will let you go to 2.0v anythig past 1.825 is pretty much unstabel.. (look at the voltage flucations in the BIOS)

Some tips to help stablize...... pin mod your CPU to 200fsb default, pin mod you AMD mobels default voltage to 1.65v-1.8v what ever you fell good... defaulting mine lets me run 1.9v about 90% stabel, but it causes more cold boot locks like that... (2.82Ghz.. )

yea, rev1.1 here. cpu is 100% stable at 2.6@ 1.8v
2 256 sticks
whats cpc?
im testing the board now, im at 215 fsb with cpu and ram low. im gonna test the fsb of the board alone by lowering the cpu and ram to stock speeds or less.
what voltage can i run the northbridge at with the stock cooling before it craps out?
thanx

im sorry, PIN MOD? could u explain pls. ill take a look at the amdmb site now, thanx

CPC is command per clock and it puts more stress on your ram, limiting your oc. I heard active NB cooling really helps DFI boards. Not really sure though. Touch your NB to see if it's heating up. I'm not sure how much that board goes up on Vdd but get it as high as possible without crapping out. Pinmod is to make your cpu boot at 166 or 200 FSB default. Used for Tbreds, Mobile Bartons, and Bartons to get higher FSB.

jovetata said:
thanx. ill test it for one more day then we'll see what happens.

the bios is the one that came with the board. ill try to see what the max numbers for everything is, then try a different bios. any suggestions on which one? or where to get any? i see at thier website the newest one they have is from 2003. is this correct? thanx

The stock bios that comes with the board sucks.

Here is a good thread with a whole bunch of tips.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31703

You can find the various different BIOS here.

http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html

I recommend the 1/21 bios, most people have had the most success with it. Many people have killed there boards by flashing the BIOS, so be warned. Altough you should be safe if you stay away from any of the alpha BIOS and the 4/29 and 5/05 BIOS. Dont blame me if you kill your bios.

tdg said:
With the DFI boards, getting a high FSB seems to be very hit and miss on them. I've seen people that have gone over 250MHz FSB, and some people that can't get a stable system at much over 200MHz on them with nearly identical parts. I wouldn't say the board is "defective", it's probably just one that cant overclock well.

I disagree, 95% of the DFI Infinity and Lanparty revB will reach 240-250fsb with good RAM and a decent BIOS.

awsome info guys thanx. im gonna try to hit the high fsb on the stock bios and then try to flash.

nb heatsink isnt all that hot to touch but it shows around 50c in the motherboard monitor.

ill try little by little to go higher and post what i get in here... i really wanna hit 250+. im modding a heatsink to put on the NB and SB and gonna get a bunch of little ones to put on the mosfets if u guys think this will help.
goodnight for now, ill report in the afternoon tomorrow, thanx a bunch

Yes, you'll want a hacked beta BIOS, I am using the 1/31 BIOS.

Only on the hacked BIOS can you turn off CPC, and you'll need to turn off CPC for Mushkin dual-sided to clock nicely.

Don't bother trying to hit the high FSB on the stock bios, you'll want to get a newer bios... with my DFI infin CPC wasn't even available stock. You've got to flash it. I was able to eliminate a lot of my issues like that... (i'm still running my 8rda+ for now... school's almost out and i'll have plenty of time for play)

ok guys top fsb stcok was a sad 230.
now, my only question is how to flash the bios. i need to know exactly how to do it. i think u can use the alt-f2 method but i havent been able to do it. i downloaded a bios from the dfi website and replaced the bin with a hacked one and nothing. i get an error message saying it cant find awdflash.exe... what can i do.. thanx a lot for ur help guys.

oh BTW, i put together a water cooling kit for it too :p this computer has turned into my form of entertainment for the last 4 days, lol...anyways, thanx in advance for the help

DaveX said:
CPC is command per clock and it puts more stress on your ram, limiting your oc. FSB.

Dave has been the closest so far.

If you disable CPC in your BIOS you will be able to hit a lot higher speeds

As for volt modding, that board has the highest BIOS voltages of any other oard out there, i don't know why you would need any more.

also, i would not run the RAM at 2-2-2-6 in an AMD board, I would run it at 2-2-2-11
why?
Don't ask just do it :)

how do i flash the bios? do i use that winflash thing? i tried it but when i went into the bios, i couldnt find that CPC thing. where is it and what does it lok like? thanx

oh, and which bios should i get that lets me turn CPC off? any hacked version will do it? i downloaded the 1/21 bios, is this one ok? thanx

use winflash to do the bios, use 1/31 or 1/21 and go from there..cpc makes the delay from 1T to 2T, 1T is best for singel sided, 2T is best for dual sided...altho when it is disabled(2T) you will get a minor hit in ram bandwith... 1/21 and 1/31 have cpc in the same place you change ram timings( advanced chipset maybe? i forget :))

Vcore on the DFI Ultra Infinity is not stable usually after 1.85V so you have to do Vcore mods (overcurrent protection and vdrop) to stabilize it. Vlad Draculea has a good guide here.

jovetata, you probably couldn't find the option to turn off CPC because many of the stock BIOS are really old and don't have that option. Please look at my first post in the thread where I posted the link to the modded BIOS.

As boardsportsrule said, CPC on sets the command rate at 1T which double-sided ram cannot handle (my 2x512MB KHX3000 BH-5 is double-sided like most 512MB sticks so won't clock high on my A7N8X as there is no option to turn off CPC...somebody needs to release a patch for Uber BIOS 1007 to do that :mad: ). jovetata, you should have no problem with your single-sided 2x256MB BH-5...maybe it is some other reason you cannot reach high FSB.

ok guys, i flashed to 1/31 bios... let the race begin :D ill report my findings, hopefully i can get 250 (crosses fingers)

ok, i put 2 512 sticks of pc4200 to rule out the mem. i put multi at 10 to rule out proc. i put chipset volt to 1.7 dram to 2.8 and turned cpc off. im trying to see at least 230 but its not working. what else can i do, i have the 1-31 bios... maybe a newer one will work? thanx for the help

jovetata said:
ok, i put 2 512 sticks of pc4200 to rule out the mem. i put multi at 10 to rule out proc. i put chipset volt to 1.7 dram to 2.8 and turned cpc off. im trying to see at least 230 but its not working. what else can i do, i have the 1-31 bios... maybe a newer one will work? thanx for the help

what timings wre you running with your PC4200?

ok, i think im gonna rma this thing if by tomorrow i cant reach a decent fsb. pls chime in with suggestiong, ill try anything

ok i tried the 1-21. used winflash, said everything was ok, rebooted. powered down, cleared CMOS, powered up...nothing. cleared CMOS again, powered up, nothing.... took battery out, put back in, powered up, nothing. did i kill it? what can i do?

edit: BTW i took a look at eh board and it says revision/version A. does this have something to do with the weak oc and failed flash (if thats what happened)? sighx5

its ur ram! lol, pc 4200 has ot high of timings( u said 3-4-4-8, the 3 is hard for NF2 chipsets to run)...bites you spent so much dough on good ram jsut to have to get some better stuff! oh btw: if you RMA due to a 230fsb oc, thats sad :rolleyes:

i have some bh-5 but i was using the 4200 from my intel system... with 2.5 timigs at a low speed, multi was low so ram wouldnt be bothered.

oh ok, i thought there was a b too, but i guess thats only the lan party?

it would be sad wouldnt it? good thing im above that, ive bought enough from newegg to not feel bad about doing this... just checked newegg. ive spent over 8 thou there.. geez

edit: BTW could u guys read my last post and answer my question, if u missed it, it was about the flashing of bios and the pc not booting, any idea what it could be? thanx

corrupted bios...its reccoemnded to have a BIOS SAVIOUR or some backup method..oyu now have to either 1) hot flash the bios chip back to a non-corrupted bios, or 2) pop in another infinity bios chip that is workin :)

boardsportsrule said:
1) hot flash the bios chip back to a non-corrupted bios, or 2) pop in another infinity bios chip that is workin :)

:confused:

thats the same thing

AMD T-type said:
:confused:

thats the same thing
umm no, hot flashing makes the curernt bios chip work, by using another mobo, or temporarily using another bios chip, the 2nd is just takin another bios chip and poppin it in permanately...

boardsportsrule said:
umm no, hot flashing makes the curernt bios chip work, by using another mobo, or temporarily using another bios chip, the 2nd is just takin another bios chip and poppin it in permanately...

ahh okay, i thought you meant pop it in to hot flash it

why waste a mobo for that? lol

ok, first question is, how do i hot flash? i built a computer for a friend and used a NF7 board... will that work?

second is, will i be able to RMA this thing? or will they say, u killed the bios, too bad...? thanx

to hot flahs,

Boot another computer with the exact same board to DOS...

use BIOS pulle to pull out his BIOS wile the system is sitting at DOS prompt

Put in you curpted BIOS, run flash form floppy, pull yous out, put his back,

then put you flashed chip back in your comp.

it must be the exact same baord.

If you dont want to do than the buy a new BIOS chip, and get a BIOS savior with it, hahah...

I(illa Bee said:
to hot flahs,

Boot another computer with the exact same board to DOS...

use BIOS pulle to pull out his BIOS wile the system is sitting at DOS prompt

Put in you curpted BIOS, run flash form floppy, pull yous out, put his back,

then put you flashed chip back in your comp.

it must be the exact same baord.

If you dont want to do than the buy a new BIOS chip, and get a BIOS savior with it, hahah...

To clarify: It doesn't need to be the same board. All you need is a 3rd party flash program such as uniflash (it's a great program, doesn't require any 'special training'/ extreme knowledge. As long as you know what you're doing, you'll be fine). As killa said... boot with a mainboard (that can cache the bios, old(er) motherboards do not support this, and will hang after the bios chip has been removed). Remove the bios chip (if you do not have a PLCC remover, be careful to pull the chip straight out, as to not bend the pins.) If you have never removed a bios chip before, you can try using a nail clipper's file (with the hook end) and placing it in the slot on the bios socket and prying upwards [don't pry it all the way out with one go, rock back and forth GENTLY a few times on each side and the chip should just pop out]). Put the new bios chip in, and run the command (uniflash.exe in this case). The flash utility will come up (uniflash will identify the chip) and then you can decide what bios file you want to flash to. Let it do it's thing and then shut the computer down. Remove the bios chip using the same method as before, and replace the older bios chip.

PLEASE <---!!! Before removing the chip, please notice one side of the chip has an arrow on it, and the socket has a corresponding arrow. PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS. Replacing a bios chip backwards will FUBAR the chip. Also, on that side of the chip is an angled edge (you will see what i'm talking about) that is another identifier of the chip's orientation). I am making a HUGE note of this because i didn't pay attention the first time i hot flashed a chip and completely ruined any chance of reviving it.

AMD T-type: If your question hasn't been answered yet, the board that you use as a hot-flasher does not take any damage (unless you're clumsy and/or rough on the native bios chip). As long as one is careful, it's a pretty smooth operation.

to jovetata:
I'd try the hotflash first. If not, check out the amdmb forums. They have a represented section of the forums with a paid employee (that goes by the handle Angry_Games) as mentioned before. Find out his contact info, and ask him about the RMA process. He will be able to help you, and may even be able to get a board sent out to you so you dont' have to suffer a few weeks without a mobo. He's a great guy, and he's very helpful. I'd try the hotflash first, since you really might as well at this point. Also, if my post wasn't clear enough feel free to contact me (i have some contact info in my profile/sig). Always willin' to help a [H]ard bro out.

diredesire said:
AMD T-type: If your question hasn't been answered yet, the board that you use as a hot-flasher does not take any damage (unless you're clumsy and/or rough on the native bios chip). As long as one is careful, it's a pretty smooth operation.

Heh,

Oh i know how to hot flash, it's almost required for most people with an Infinity :p

What i didnt understand is that it sounded like he was talking about hot flashing it twice.
I didnt know he meant pull a BIOS out of a mobo and completely dont use the board.

Back