DFI Ultra infinity won't POST - even after hotflash!

MikeHunt79

n00b
Ok, I've got 3 ultra infinities, 2 work fine while the other doesn't work at all. I'm trying to fix the non working one, as it used to work fine. :)

First of all, I tried 2 different types of RAM, then 2 different GFX cards, then 2 different CPU's, then 2 different PSU's, yet all of these bits worked fine in my other boards.

So I them pulled the BIOS out, and hotflashed it on another board, (19/6) still nothing. No POST, no BEEPs, nothing! :mad: The LED's come one and the CPU fan spins when it's powered on, however.

The only thing that's strange about this board is that it makes this wierd buzzing noise when it's on. I sounds a bit like a knackard fan. I can post an audio clip of it if that's any use? Could it be one of those amazingly high quality teapo caps has bit the dust. ;)

I'd only suspect two things at this point...

1 - power shorting somewhere.. make sure a screw didn't fall behind the motherboard or something.

2 - your mobo is toast.. possibly due to a bad cap, or ESD damage (did you take ESD precautions?)

1 - power shorting somewhere.. make sure a screw didn't fall behind the motherboard or something.
I've checked and double checked... This set up isn't even in a case yet... I'm testing it all "out of the box" :) Also, I normally find if something is shorting the PSU turns off straight away.
2 - your mobo is toast.. possibly due to a bad cap, or ESD damage (did you take ESD precautions?)
Yep, I grounded myself, so no ESD. I can't see any obvious burnt bits or swelled up caps. This board did work once... :(

normally find if something is shorting the PSU turns off straight away.

Depends what voltage its killing.. I've found if its killing +5 or +12v then the PS realizes it and shuts down.. I've found that PSU makers take less precautions for some of the other voltages outputted... Plus some of the voltages are created on the motherbaord rather than the PSU itself... these voltages aren't monitored by the PSU at all + won't shut the thing down.

Sorry for your loss

Back