DFI to strike out with the DFI LANParty JR X58-T3H6

email from motherboardpro today, mine shipped, a week ahead of schedule.

please, please get here by friday.....;)

Would the Antec Mini P180 have enough cooling for the i7? I was set on this mobo as soon as they announced it. And since it's from DFI you can pretty much guarantee good overclocks.

It's just as big as a solo. spcr said it had almost double the airflow of a p180. I have one, and I run my oc'd cpu fanless (using a ninja + bolt kit). Definitely the way to go if you have a matx board, and you want a quiet and/or appropriately cooled system. It is a large case though, it is not a "sff" sized case by any metric. I would highly recommend it if you don't mind the size.

NSK2480 + mini ninja is also another good option.

Thanks! Looks like I will finally make the big i7 switch. Also I always wanted I SFF case.

I'll probably mod it with a side panel window. Maybe add a side fan for the GPU.

No need for mods, especially airflow mods. Leave it stock for a bit and see how you like it. It's a very well thought out case.

No need for mods, especially airflow mods. Leave it stock for a bit and see how you like it. It's a very well thought out case.

The airflow from the 200mm fan has to be seen to be believed. It's incredible. As said, you can almost leave your CPU cooler fanless (apart from for an extreme OC with high voltage). The negative air pressure created will draw air from just about any opening. Beware of dust!

Hi guys,

I haven't had really time to get into the hardware how I used to while back..so I would like to have some advice from you guys:

I'm planning to buy this motherboard and hook it up with I920 and GTX 260. Can Lian Li case PC-V350, V351 handle all this. I'm a bit worried about the thermals. Can the stock cooler keep it all cool enough? Im not planning to do any OC'ing and I like my system nice and quiet.

I'm just absolutely taken with the Lian LI PC-V350(or V351) case and the possibility that nowadays microatx can be used to some HC gaming. Nice. This motherboard is quite a amazing..;)

It has air filters though ;)

I know but it will draw air from any place, including for example the area around and including the PCI slots. That's the only place I can think of who would let the dust go through.

Received my board tonight. Just finished my buildup, now I need some food and then I will do a fresh Vista install before bed.

My build:

DFI X58
I7 920
Xigmatek 1283 with 1366 adapter
3x2GB Supertalent PC12800
Sapphire HD4870 1GB
Edimax PCI Wireless NIC
Samsung 1TB HDD
Samsung 22X DVDRW
QMicra V2
Silverstone ST50EF-SC

In the process of purchasing the following parts for my first ever build (SFF build even):

Antec Mini P180 (purchased)
DFI X58 (purchased)
Auzen Prelude 7.1 (purchased)
i7 920 (still looking for a good price)
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Corsair HX620 PSU
WD 640GB Caviar Black
Plextor 22X DVD Burner (Cheapest I could find on Amazon w/ Free shipping)

I am still deciding whether I should get the Coolit Domino (watercooling kit) or get an air cooler. Any suggestions?

In the process of purchasing the following parts for my first ever build (SFF build even):

Antec Mini P180 (purchased)
DFI X58 (purchased)
Auzen Prelude 7.1 (purchased)
i7 920 (still looking for a good price)
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Corsair HX620 PSU
WD 640GB Caviar Black
Plextor 22X DVD Burner (Cheapest I could find on Amazon w/ Free shipping)

I am still deciding whether I should get the Coolit Domino (watercooling kit) or get an air cooler. Any suggestions?

This case with a good cooling tower (like T/R TRUE or HR-01 Plus or Xigmatek 1283 or 1284) should handle everything but the most extreme O/C. I like the T/R solutions because they can be rotated so that the surface presented to the 200mm fan is bigger (without rotating/setting up at 90degrees, which can be done with any of those coolers) while keeping the overall front to back airflow path. If you just do a mild O/C, you might even be able to use the HR-01 Plus passively. Not sure at all though.

This case with a good cooling tower (like T/R TRUE or HR-01 Plus or Xigmatek 1283 or 1284) should handle everything but the most extreme O/C. I like the T/R solutions because they can be rotated so that the surface presented to the 200mm fan is bigger (without rotating/setting up at 90degrees, which can be done with any of those coolers) while keeping the overall front to back airflow path. If you just do a mild O/C, you might even be able to use the HR-01 Plus passively. Not sure at all though.

Sounds good. I was going to get the TRUE originally since it is king.

you can get some of those parts way cheaper if you look harder, i got my v350 shipped (mwave) for 110 and my noctua for 60 (xoxide).

Hmm just out of curiosity.. is it possible to mount the WD velociraptor using rails.. Is there standard mount holes in there?

Hmm just out of curiosity.. is it possible to mount the WD velociraptor using rails.. Is there standard mount holes in there?
the case comes with screws with rubber grommets on them that you screw into the hard drive holes on the sides, in the hd bay is like a rail with hooks on the ends so that the rubber grommets locks in.

idk if a raptor would fit in there as ive never had one :(

I finished my build last night. Its a quick board at stock speed. Very painless to install windows and even at stock speeds my i7 920 feels as quick as my Q9550 at 4GHz.

No surprises other than the RAM needed to be in the green slots in order to boot.

I am going to attempt to overclock tonight. Crosses fingers.

Update, without touching voltages I have BClock at 165, 3x2GB Supertalent DDR3 at 1650.

It is pretty peppy.

This is going to be in my next build. I'm just worried about a Noctua NH-C12P going over the edge of the board and then not being able to close the v350. Ideas so far for this build:

Case - Lian Li PC-V350B
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=22881

Mobo - DFI LP JR X58-T3H6
http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-LP...rd-p-1272.html

Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202 - Intel i7 920

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433 - EVGA GTX 260

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002 - Corsair 620W PSU

DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151173 - Samsung DVD/CD Burner

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225 - G.SKILL RAM

Hard Drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136322 - VelociRaptor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319 - WD 640GB Caviar

Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132005 - Asus Xonar D2X

Cooler - Noctua NH-C12P
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24537

Probably be done at the end of the month.
Dude, a $200 sound card is not worth it. the integrated should be fine, or even a $50 sound card. there is no purpose of a $200 sound card unless your an extreme audiophile or have money to spend. the human ear can barely hear 196khz anyway. spend the money on another component instead or pocket it.

Dude, a $200 sound card is not worth it. the integrated should be fine, or even a $50 sound card. there is no purpose of a $200 sound card unless your an extreme audiophile or have money to spend. the human ear can barely hear 196khz anyway. spend the money on another component instead or pocket it.

I guess. I just jumped on the "sound cards provide better performance" bandwagon.

198khz is the sampling rate lol. Has nothing to do with the human ear hearing (like say frequency).

I think he meant that the human ear can't hear the difference between 196khz and something a bit lower.

I was very excited to see this board be released. One of the cooler things about it is the two 16x slots that support both SLI and crossfire! However, I like having a dedicated sound card, on board audio has always bothered me.

The sucky thing about reserving a pci slot for my sound is limiting the dual graphics card possibility. If you went SLI for Xfire, you'd need to stick to single slot cards. The 4850 is the fastest single slot card ATi offers, and the 9800gt is the fastest for nvidia (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Both of those cards in a dual gpu configuration can easily be beaten by a single high end card (I'd probably lean for a gtx 280 or 285). This defeats the purpose.

The easy solution to this problem? There isn't one. There are no good single slot coolers for modern graphics cards. The hard solution? Full coverage single slot vga waterblocks. That makes the machine I'm trying to plan several hundred dollars more expensive, a lot heavier, and a lot less portable. Not to mention a lot more difficult to pull off since I'd like it in a smaller case.

I'd say common sense dictates that building an sff matx sli rig out of this board isn't the way to go. If you air cool, you still run a large risk of overheating once to drop the possibility of any other add in cards. If you watercool, the case becomes much heavier and harder to transport, on top of finding an sff capable of holding the parts necessary to wc a core i7 quad core cpu and two high end graphics cards.

So, even though this all sounds like a dumb idea, I'd like to take a look into it and take some thoughts from you guys. If the consensus remains that it's totally impractical, I'll drop the idea.

First question is can a single radiator cool off those parts? I'd be thinking two EK (I'm partial to them for some reason) full coverage gpu blocks and the koolance 350 cpu waterblock. I've used Black Ice GTX radiators in the past, and I like them very much. Could a 2x120 radiator get rid of the heat? (at a tolerable volume. 35 dB fans would be about the most I could handle).

Second question, how well can the lian li v350 accommodate one of those radiators? There's a spot in the front, but its a think rad and might interfere with other components. Does anyone here have experience with this case? It would be my case of choice unless someone else has a better idea. I love how that thing looks.

And now I have class so I can't finish my post. Meh. Thoughts appreciated though!

…or you can get a 4850x2 / 4870x2 / GTX295 and eliminate the Crossfire issues. Even though most people buy the board for Crossfire, since the extra PCI-E x16 slot is closer to the edge of the board, it helps it fit in more cases. Plus I think it’s the only i7 matx board right now – that helps!

The 4850 in Crossfire beats any single GPU solution and if you have a case long enough for 10.5" cards in the primary slot, then you don't need a multiGPU board anyway.

If you can fit a single 2x120 radiator, it could cool the cards or the GPU, but not both.

Any system you build with modern components is going to be heavy. So you are going to have to deal with that either way. However, most people probably don't move their SFF around too much - it's more about size/space/looks.

You can get rad and fan combos as thin as 45mm. Do some measurements...

If you check the 'Best Graphics Cards For The Money' article on Tom's Hardware, 2 4850s is a pretty awesome setup. If you can put up with the noise of the tiny fans of the 4850s in a single slot solution, then there is plenty of room for your dedicated sound card. Sure performance wise it will be better with 2 4870s or 2 GTXs, but it won't be significant enough to warrant the extra cost IMHO.

To those that are still "recovering" from the specs of the P45. This board is Crossfire AND SLI so you're not left only playing with crummy ATI.

It's nice to have the option of sli or crossfire, but I wouldn't go as far as saying ATI' preform crummy in games. the 4870 x2's dominated the marxet for a WHILE before the gtx 295 and 285 was released. I my self would have preferred sli on my DFI matx am2 mobod, since I have 2 8800gts 320mb's but, I'll just deal with it.

@#$%ing DFI. :mad:

Well I finally managed to get this board installed, but am receiving a "CF" error, like 2/3 of the reviewers on Newegg, who actually own the board. Unfortunately, trying the memory in the green slots is not working.

Did anyone else have this issue and know of a way to fix it?

DFI you never disappoint me! I can always count on you for shoddy quality control. Argh I don't have time for this...

I am using the GSkill sticks and thinking maybe it's a compatibility issue.

Edit: It's alive! I filled all three green slots and it posted. So much for single channel... However, I think this means the yellow ones are toast or else only work when all 6 slots are populated.

Back