DFI-Street Gives DFI the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
if anyone wants to help me i am trying maybe to rebuild the dfi-street again??

pm-me.

I do not think that is the best thing Shawnol. Rgone will have something set up it sounds like. Plus if [H] gets something, all avenues will be covered. There's several other forums out there that are not just DFI that will offer support (unofficial).

Could be? He was all the time. He needed to have a better attitude towards DFI's customers. He belittled and demeaned everyone that came in with a question. That is not good business practices. DFI cut their losses, no matter how good a guy can be. They just cannot have someone running around trying to help the company when you are actually hurting it.

Rgone is running things now, he will have a support base. He will be a lot better than Travis was.

Just how business is.

I only have a brief experience at DFI Street because I tried one of the boards prior to my current Abit. And what you posted is my impression. I appreciate the knowledge that Angry put forth, but changing his name to Happy did not really change the person. I could deal with it, but it really wasn't a great attitude if you are a paid employee for customer support.

It basically sucked. I bought an Infinity 975 for some C2D lovin' and that was the first DFI board I bought. While I did appreciate all the info on DFI-Street, Happy really pissed me off at how he would talk to people that were NOT flaming/being 'tards/etc.(No I was not one of those he went off on, but I "felt" for them man!)

Thats fine for a tech site that is not affiliated with anyone, but he was their official support person, and speaking to customers that way is completely unacceptable. He did not have the right to belittle questions or posts because the person did not fit into "HIS" idea of the 75% of the OC'ers in the world.

Having said that, It was the best resource on a great company's motherboards and I will miss it. I hope RGone is the next in line to take over as I liked his style much better than Travis'.

Thanks Kyle, for offering. I REALLY hope they take you up on it as you have a great setup and great people here. I go to your site multiple times a day to check up on news in general and see what you've reviewed next, and having DFI here, too, would be awesome.

So...did anybody invite Rgone to come post over here for a while for use without a support base DFI users?

Great to see. I posted on DFI Street a lot after getting my current mobo a year ago and they really helped me out. I found everyone there to be nice and helpful, though I did occasionally see Angry being, well, angry. See, I've worked support for the last decade and I also moderated a couple hardware forums for a couple years, so I understand where he was coming from. It can get so frustrating and old when people blame the product instead of their own limited abilities, post the same things over and over without using search and so on. However, it is part of the job and you can only take it so far without driving people away. I hope they get things worked out and I hope Travis gets to understand this a little better. As annoying as people can be, they're still the customers that provide him with a living.

Oh and thanks Kyle for your offer to DFI. The [H] is already and valuable resource for any enthusiast and that would only make it more so... ;)

I posted this in General Mayhem, so I'll post it here since this thread was around first. Angry Games is a tool, and I'm glad DFI finally figured it out and pulled the rug out from under him. Hopefully their next forum actually has staff in place that knows how to operate the hardware they're supporting.

The name calling will stop or you will banned. That's a promise.

wtburnette, it's one thing to be a moderator of a site and it's another to actually be employed with the manufacturer. He represented DFI and he did it poorly. Not to mention the ethics part of it with disrespect, etc. (They are a overseas company and they take respect very highly)

Great to see. I posted on DFI Street a lot after getting my current mobo a year ago and they really helped me out. I found everyone there to be nice and helpful, though I did occasionally see Angry being, well, angry. See, I've worked support for the last decade and I also moderated a couple hardware forums for a couple years, so I understand where he was coming from. It can get so frustrating and old when people blame the product instead of their own limited abilities, post the same things over and over without using search and so on. However, it is part of the job and you can only take it so far without driving people away. I hope they get things worked out and I hope Travis gets to understand this a little better. As annoying as people can be, they're still the customers that provide him with a living.

Oh and thanks Kyle for your offer to DFI. The [H] is already and valuable resource for any enthusiast and that would only make it more so... ;)

Well, let's leave the disrespectful comments elsewhere.

I dont mind you guys having an opinion and sharing it obviously, or the forums would not be here, but calling the guy names will not do anything but cause fighting here and other possible forum shenanigans, and we don't need bad blood. If he was disrepectful and handling things badly (hey I know I have done my fair share of that) in the past, please say so, but don't be disrepectful to him while doing it.

wtburnette, it's one thing to be a moderator of a site and it's another to actually be employed with the manufacturer. He represented DFI and he did it poorly. Not to mention the ethics part of it with disrespect, etc. (They are a overseas company and they take respect very highly)

You know, you're right. When I moderated it was just for fun and being part of a community. Never got paid for it. I guess I can still understand him getting frustrated and all, but that would be like someone calling me at work and me frothing at the mouth and then wondering why I was fired... ;)

my experiences at "the street" were a negative for DFI . anytime you have a bunch of zealots who consider a product to be a gift from god running something that is supposed to be for support. that is a bad idea . why do people come to a site for support ? because their having some type of problem with the product . i don't think i can count the number of times "the street" has give me information --or should i say opinions that were just flat wrong or deliberate attempts to spin the product in a better light than it was . my experience was so bad-- i almost never bought any more DFI mb's .

my experience with DFI's support -was a one call--problem fixed . so i never visited the street again . if you have a un-professional attitude--it really hurts a company's bottom line . any company that makes motherboards is going to have some problems as their complex items to make and there are lots of x+x=y in other components involved . how a company deals with the problem products can make or break a company so why leave that to !!!!!!s?:eek: :cool:

I posted this in General Mayhem, so I'll post it here since this thread was around first. Angry Games is a tool, and I'm glad DFI finally figured it out and pulled the rug out from under him. Hopefully their next forum actually has staff in place that knows how to operate the hardware they're supporting.

I have to agree with this post. Angry Games was not the kind of guy dfi needed as the face of their support team, and i for one am glad to see him gone.

Quite a bit of the current problems can be laid directly at the feet of DFI over the lack of availiblity of the ATI based RD600 LANPARTY UT ICFX3200 T2R/G board. This thing has been in the works for months and months It was always "next month". It was going to be the greatest O/C Conroe board ever. The NDA has come and gone. No boards. Travis and other over at DFI street has what were supposedly retail samples for review. But maybe they weren't. DFI was going to have a 100 boards at the 'Egg before Christmas. Nope didn't happen. Now they are promising 200 boards in the US and 200 board in the UK in the next weeks. What's this 100 / 200 boards crap? So here it it nearly the middle of January and no board. This board has been hyped beyond all belief and is for all intents and purpose "vaporware".

I have been building and selling systems based on DFI (and Asus and Gigabyte) boards since the 386 days. My first DFI board was a 386SX-20IN which I still have sitting in a box in my garage (along with my Timex Sinclair and other historical relics).

I am not the uber overclocking guru that Happy, RGone, THunDA and ExRoadie are. What I do have under my belt is a hell of a lot of experience troubleshooting and fine tuning systems to achieve their maximum performance

With that said, if anyone needs assistance with their DFI product, post in the appropriate section on [H], giving as much detail as you are able to, and I will do my best (as I am sure others will too) to assist in getting your problems straightened-out.

AceGoober
aka Steven White

EDIT: Pertaining to Happy_Games (aka Travis), he is in all reality a good guy yet (IMHO) he did cross over the line a few times pertaining to customer relations. Of course, how did the customer approach him? Frustrated? Completely pissed-off that the product they purchased with their hard-earned cash doesn't work?

There are two sides to every story. Please keep that in mind before trying to judge others.

I actually was a bit of a "tool" on DFI Street forums once. There was a packaging problem with the NF4 Ultra-D's that resulted in motherboard damage for a lot of people (myself included - 2 boards). I got no response to emails from DFI tech support. Completely frustrated, I saw others with similar problems on DFI Street and started making a fuss. Angry helped us out (without being a tool), and I believe most of us got our boards replaced. It didn't move fast enough for me and I sent a couple of pissy emails to Angry. His response at the time was patient and professional.

I've no doubt that he could be a problem sometimes...but to quote a famous guy: "who among us is without sin? Let them cast the first stone". I dunno if he was fairly compensated for the work he did on DFI-Street or not. I do know that in my experience, DFI has some problems with quality control and it was good to have another place to go for help.

In the end, it's just sad that the Street is gone. Hopefully an equally valuable forum will emerge here or elsewhere.

God this is awful....of course something like this happens when i need that site the most (just got new ram).

ARRGG....DFI-street is the best part of owner a DFI board. People on there are soo awesome and helpful. It will be missed.....alot.

I actually was a bit of a "tool" on DFI Street forums once. There was a packaging problem with the NF4 Ultra-D's that resulted in motherboard damage for a lot of people (myself included - 2 boards). I got no response to emails from DFI tech support. Completely frustrated, I saw others with similar problems on DFI Street and started making a fuss. Angry helped us out (without being a tool), and I believe most of us got our boards replaced. It didn't move fast enough for me and I sent a couple of pissy emails to Angry. His response at the time was patient and professional.

I've no doubt that he could be a problem sometimes...but to quote a famous guy: "who among us is without sin? Let them cast the first stone". I dunno if he was fairly compensated for the work he did on DFI-Street or not. I do know that in my experience, DFI has some problems with quality control and it was good to have another place to go for help.

In the end, it's just sad that the Street is gone. Hopefully an equally valuable forum will emerge here or elsewhere.

I remember that. I ordered my board just hours before finding that thread. Sat there with my fingers crossed for a few days. (Arrived with no damage)

As someone who gained considerable knowledge from the DFI site, and who hopefully gave back as much to others, I'm really not happy about the enormous amount of data on NF2-4 being lost, along with fixes and tweaks for everything imaginable.

I wont consider a DFI product in the future, cutting edge stuff with insufficient support (whether from the company or the community of users) is just too much of a crapshoot.

DFI actually lost me when they were handed proof of the Vtt glitch on the NF4 boards and refused to come up with a solution. If you dont want to be bothered, then atleast release the schematics of the Vtt/Vdimm circuit so others can generate a proper solution.

Direct effect for me was sitting on 6 Gigs of BH5 ram that I couldn't get the maximum performance from.... on my allegedly "maximum" performance boards. Held to ~246Mhz on the DDR bus due to the glitch on Vtt.

But at least the issue got discovered and documented, hanks to Xtremesystems and DFI-street and the community of enthusiasts.

Other thing was Oscar got moved to new products and the BIOS support vanished as soon as the product was considered superceeded....well there's still an installed based of tens of thousands of users who need support DFI, man what a short memory the company has.

At least DFI put some effort into supporting the current products, thats more than I can say about Asus/Abit/etc. The success of the A7N8X had NOTHING to do with Asus and everything to do with this community. Ditto on the Abit NF7, again the user community made it work and solved all the issues with workarounds and mods.

Example: SATA dvd drives are coming out, but there is no native support for this as a boot drive in the bios of most boards, this is an ongoing support issue, where are these companies when previous customers need an update?.... nowhere. Any NF2 bios upgrades coming soon? ever? Only about 10 MILLION units in service.

I hope Kyle's generous offer is accepted. But it'll take more than just a deal with DFI, it will take thier actually supporting the products.... even after they aren't the latest new sales rollout. There is a responsibility to the installed base once you sell a few million of something.

I too visited DFI Street and did get help when I got my DFI mb. There are a lot of good people helping others there. I did see the "arrogance" on the one in question here too. I thought it was a bit hostile when there was no need to be. It was almost like the guy thought he was doing everyone a favor by his presence. Seems DFI is getting the blame when the blame might need to be placed elsewhere. Gotta have a good working relationship and this seems to not have been the case.

I just heard about this and have no idea of the events leading to the closing of that forum or about any discussions on that forum before it was closed. What strikes me here is that the actions of DFI-Street have hurt all the users of that forum more than DFI by just outright closing it with no notice (I'm speculating there was no notice, I don't know that for sure since I haven't visited that forum in awhile). Seems it could have been done differently keeping the forum open for user imput on possible avenues to explore rather than just saying, "it's closed dudes, that's just the way it is, deal with it".

While I can't share the same sentiment that some of you share regarding Happy_Games (formerly Angry_Games) being a jerk to customers on DFI-Street, ever since finding (that) forum site I have been using DFI boards with confidence and with great success. Many of the times when Mr. Hill was being slightly 'obnoxious' to new forums members with questions at the Street, it was b/c of user immaturity and questions being asked that could've been solved with simple Google or forum searches.

I believe that Mr. Hill ran DFI-Street the way it had to be run to allow for the best user experience for 'ALL' users on the forum site and not just users coming to the site thinking they 'deserved' help and replies from the admins and mods. In the end, while it may have been the demise of (their) relationship with DFI, the site was run so that users could find useful information, fast.

I will miss the information posted there and the countless of bookmarked threads I have regarding nF4 memory timings, BIOS CMOS clearing, proper PSU requirements, as well as the correct procedures to fully utilize very fast, DFI motherboards. I only wish that I had printed out all those threads before this debacle.

I, and I'm assuming many other users, emailed all the people that Mr. Hill posted on the DFI-Street forums home page. The emails I sent were both respectful and insightful and, while I fortunately did NOT have any bad experiences on the site, I was never aware of Mr. Hill being disrespectful or 'arrogant' to his fellow coworkers and executives at DFI. If this was the case, then I digress.

Either way, I have (6) DFI motherboards sitting in my closet and (1) new DFI Infinity 975X/G board in my current rig (sig needs updating here) and I hope I can continue to obtain solid hardware information for the boards regardless of what site I browse. With that in mind, I know that the motherboard forum (as well as every other subforum) here at [H]ardOCP is pretty damn informative and has always been very useful with all my builds!

With that I say good luck to the crew that helped out over at the Street, and here's to spending even more time helping out and posting in the [H]ardOCP forums! :D

PS. Holy s!@#, I feel like I just gave a eulogy or something! WTF?!?

Like AceGoober, I will also try to share my knowledge of DFI products to the best of my abilities.

I bought the DFI expert this time last year. DFI-Street helped me get through problems I might have ran into while setting up my system. But I could never see it as a great community. Still allot of people seen it as a great one.
My main reason why was the rudeness of the Owner/Top Mod AngryGames.
I never posted there cause of this. I just didn't want to be apart of it. One users post stuck out that I still remember. His name is MassiveOverkill. He dose post here on the [H]forums. He made a post w/poll asking along the lines, "Do you think DFI should make a mATX board based off the 6100 and 61500 chip set." Angrygames must have gotten Angry at the thread and said somthing like, "DFI will not make a mATX board based off that chipset. Stop asking" But we all know they did later in the year.

After the thread was posted I stopped going there. Months later when DFI released their mATX board on the 6100 chipset. I shook my head and smirked.

Good luck to them though and future endeavors.

I was going to buy a DFI board next month to punish my processor... knowing that I had an entire forum dedicated to the board I'd buy. Now I'm not so sure if that's wise to do.

I wonder, is all this crap grounds for the enthusiast community to boycott DFI? I mean, who would want to buy a board from a company just because you'll have badass support, even if the company has shit ethics? I guess I don't know the background to this... was DFI cheating them or something? That's definitely grounds for a boycott from me...

I believe that Mr. Hill ran DFI-Street the way it had to be run to allow for the best user experience for 'ALL' users on the forum site and not just users coming to the site thinking they 'deserved' help and replies from the admins and mods. In the end, while it may have been the demise of (their) relationship with DFI, the site was run so that users could find useful information, fast.

I did find the information I needed fast and to the point. I know its hard to keep the Answered questions Answered on forums from a Admin/Mods view on things. Yet he was doing this all under the DFI name. Don't mean to sound harsh but he failed.

I started seeing the attitude of Mr Hill spreading to the mods and even its users.

I have raised over 2.1 mil for DFI-Street (with the help of relatives) and he told me it was shens.

He can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.

There will be a better support forum for DFI products, that I can assure you of.

Well I'm sorry to see the Street is down.
I didnt make alot posts there but it was one of my favorite places to hang out.

Over at the Street I was Snowpro;)
Nice to see some Friends over here at HardForum, found some others at The Mod Nation

I hope to see some good rise from the ashes

See ya
AKA Snowpro

This stinks.

Dfi street was a big reason I got a DFI board a few years ago... I wonder who is going to step up and take DFI's place as the enthusast king?

the forum was half the reason I bought a DFI board. without the technical expertise and support of the people there, I will no longer buy DFI boards. they are simply too much of a beast to handle without any place for support and collaboration.

and I bet this is the story with many other computer enthusiasts. I hope the people over at DFI get the message.

same here.. unless they get back online (or Kyle gives DFI a [H] board.. which would be very cool!!) i might just have to Asus it up!

also, i'm certainly going to stop folding for team 45454 (DFI-Street), looks like i'm going to have to ring up team #33 from now on :)

I started seeing the attitude of Mr Hill spreading to the mods and even its users.

Well, that's a good point. It's one thing to be a bit more stern and in some cases downright rude to users when a point needs to be made, but spreading that same sense of rudeness and ignorance to your users and mods is never going to be a good thing, for anybody involved. Point taken.

PS. Why are my posts causing the page to spread to the right?? Is this my browser that's causing this, or is it in my head?? :confused:

so i guess this means when you post on dfi street that your dfi mainboard has a problem they will NOT tell you to stop whining, its a user problem, and then ban you?

so i guess this means when you post on dfi street that your dfi mainboard has a problem they will NOT tell you to stop whining, its a user problem, and then ban you?

I don't believe that by posting on DFI-Street forums and asking for help that anybody should be treated harshly. Obviously, you have not had the best of experiences over at the Street. I'm sorry that was the case for you. I, however, have never had that kind of a problem after posting (there) for over 3 years now. I 'guess' I was lucky..

Its the Zeros and Ones you have in your sig. Pushing the table to the right.

PS. Why are my posts causing the page to spread to the right?? Is this my browser that's causing this, or is it in my head?? :confused:
It was the 240 character string in your sig in binary for "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" that caused it.

I have raised over 2.1 mil for DFI-Street (with the help of relatives) and he told me it was shens.

He can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.

There will be a better support forum for DFI products, that I can assure you of.
Hmmm seems we have a discrepancy here.

I have permission from Travis to post this snippet and seeing that it is only his words and not anyone's else I can use it.

So to set the record straight here is that snippet.

well tell you what, come and show me seriously that you have the money and you can have the site for a million flat. If you complain bitterly about the cost, I'll have to inform you of your mistake of alerting me that you had 2.1 million secured, so consider this a heck of a good deal and that I've saved you 1.1 million dollars.

So let's not make yourself look like the savior and Travis a a**hole. End Acegoober Rant

The bottom line is Travis and his crew worked very hard through out the years to make Dfi-Street into what it was(is).

This came at the expense of Travis's own pocket. If DFI actually had a hand in the site they would now have the database and all the content of that site.

For all that had problems on the site was it because you didn't follow the rules or couldn't handle the truth? Hell we all have bad days and nobody here is any exception.

I know I get ticked when I am asked the same question over and over and the answer is right in a sticky. There are some extremely lazy people on some forums.

Rules are rules and while the street did have some strict rules it was to expedite the response to your questions or problems. How can a problem be addressed if they have no idea what equipment you have?

Anyway we have no control over what DFI is going to do from this point on and does it really do any good to bash a person?

There is more to life then worrying about what someone did that offended you, If you can't handle it then here is a straw suck it up.

Tmod

TMOD: Thank you for all your help with your Tmod DFI BIOS ISOs! Those were very helpful over the years.

It was the 240 character string in your sig in binary for "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" that caused it.

"A crummy commercial...Son of a beatch!!" TY.

Damn guys, ease up on Travis. Whoa. I've talked to hime on the phone and exchanged hardware with him on several occasions, and he's always been cool to me. It was my Corsair 4400c2's (TCCD) that he tested and made a list of parameters so people would quit whining about the stuff.

That said, I do want to see the valuable info in the database brought back.

TMOD: Thank you for all your help with your Tmod DFI BIOS ISOs! Those were very helpful over the years.
My pleasure in creating something that will make things just a bit easier for all DFI owners.

Tmod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back