DFI P-35 "Blood Iron" HDD sleep issue

Calefaction

Limp Gawd
So I am having this issue with my machine since switching to the DFI P-35 board, and I am trying to diagnose it a little.

Basically, every once and a while, my HDD's will seem to go to sleep, and the next time the system tries to access data from that drive, the system will hang for just second, and it will "pop" back to life (you can hear the HDD click as it starts to spin back up). This only started happening when I switched to the DFI board and Vista-64, but I don't know if it's a driver issue, a Vista issue, a motherboard issue, or a combination.

I've done the obvious things (turning power management off in the BIOS, telling Vista not to put my HDD's to sleep (ever), disabling power management in general, etc). My HDD's all check out from a S.M.A.R.T. stand point, and they've all been chkdsk'ed, so the drives themselves seem okay (and again, this only started happening when I switched to the P-35 from a 680i and went to Vista 64-bit).

I've downloaded the latest Intel INF tool and grabbed the latest P-35 drivers, that didn't seem to fix it either. Has anyone else seen this issue? If so, how did you work around it?

It's not show stopping, my system still runs, but it can be annoying for your system to hang for a second while it spins the HDD's back up.

Back