DFi nForce-4 Ultra Motherboard and Windows 7

trparky

Gawd
I have an old DFi nForce-4 Ultra motherboard that is still in use with an AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core and I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues installing Windows 7 on it when it comes out.

All I do remember from my tries at installing Windows Vista on it was that I had a heck of a time trying to find compatible drivers for it to work with the chipset. I eventually managed to cobble together a set of working drivers but going through that nightmare isn't something that I want to go through again.

I plan on wiping the drive out and doing a clean install.

Well, I didn't have any trouble with my old DFI SLI-DR Expert with an opteron 170 and Windows 7. I don't even think I needed to download my own specific drivers for most of it, windows 7 came with support for just about everything.

Are you planning on doing RAID or other complex installations?

Just something simple with a crap load of HDDs in it. I'm going to turn it into a file server of sorts for my network.

I don't think you'll have any trouble, and I don't think you'll need any drivers other than what comes out of the box. I have a Pentium 4 machine with a 915 chipset (about the same age as yours) that got everything it needed right off the Win7 RC DVD. The only drawback is that the GMA900 doesn't get Aero, so I added a Radeon 4350 for about $40.

It also seems that Win7 (at least in the RC stage) has kept Windows Update stocked with actual driver updates. My onboard Realtek gig-E and 8800GT both got driver updates via Win Update immediately after installing, though the video drivers were a bit old. I hadn't had a chance to get to nV's site to get the latest, but I found it amusing.

Did a win7 beta (build 7100 or so install) on a DFI ultra-D sli DR for shits and giggles. Worked like a charm. That's on an all IDE drive setup though! I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm pretty sure you'll be good with the retail. Ahem... When it's out... :D

Back