DFI nF4 Ultra-D noob Question

blink182prj

Weaksauce
OK, so the molex and FDD power connectors on the motherboard...do I have to plug the power supply into them or are they to power devices (like fans) that have these connectors. Sorry for the noob question, but the manual was of no assistance...

I remember reading (in the manual) that they provide extra stability with overclocks/other large loads.

OK, I can't find it anywhere in the paper manual, perhaps it is in the digital manual (which I have not yet read). Another noob question: I just installed my proc, but I don't yet have any RAM in the board. When I use the test button on my power supply to turn on the computer, 4 debug lights come on. Shouldn't there only be three because I have my CPU in there, but no RAM? Is something wrong with my board? I just got the CPU today, so I can't imagine it is that. Have I seriously screwed something up? Again, apologies for the noobiness.

EDIT: Could it have anything to do with the broken onboard switches that it shipped with? Does it sound like the mobo did actually receive some bad damage? I would RMA it, but I didn't think a little thing like the switches beign broken is worth the shipping back to ZZF. A more serious problem, however, would certainly warrant my money to ship it back to them.

EDIT2: It seems it is in the digital manual. The extra power conectors are for running DXG or SLI, which I am not. Thanks!

Just wanted to see what would happen, I guess. Make sure the HSF, Northbridge fan, and video card fan spin up, etc. I dunno...I have all these goodies sitting around and I want to play with them!

Well, I can't get this thing to boot up. The board gets power (as in the yellow LEDs on the board come on) but when I press the power button, nothing. I have the cable from the power stich hooked up to the correct place per the manual. The interesting this is that if I use my thermaltake PSU, I get the fans to spin up for just a second then everything goes out. If I use my testing PSU, I can get the board to power up if I press the test button, but the 4 red debug lights come on. If I just try to use the power switch with that PSU, nothing comes on at all. I have a feeling this is due to my broken DIY switches, but does anyone think it might be something else?

EDIT: I now have 2x512 Crucial XMS in slots 1 and 2, so I have everything I need to get the comp to boot.

What do you mean DIY switches? Sounds like a short from what you say about the fan spinup. Try unplugging all your fans except cpu and chipset. Disconnect and remove all unnecesary components (hard drives, floppy, cd/dvd, usb/sound headers, memory, and anything else including lights also.) only connect the power switch from your case to the mobo and try that. If that doesnt work re seat the motherboard making sure you dont have any metal against the back of the board like standoffs. you dont need memory installed to start the computer and post. Just your video card and cpu.

By the way about your power supplies,

The circuit breaker inside the thermaltake is reacting slow if you have a short, common for thermalcrap power supplies. I went through the same thing with a Antec and Thermaltake were the short was not tripping the CB in the thermaltake for a split second long enough for the fans to spin up but in the Antec the the trip was so much faste that it wouldnt let the anything power up at all.

There are two "Do It Yourself" switches on the motherboard. They are onboard power and reset switches so that you can more easily test the board outside the case. They were broken off in shipping and I'm wondering if they could be preventing the board from powering on. Thanks for your help, I'll try that when I get home!

OK...so i took the board out of the case and only have the vid card and the proc in it. I still could not get the board to power up. So, I unplugged the PSU, cleared the CMOS, plugged it back in and shorted the power pins. Now, the video card fan will come on for about 1 second and then shut off. The chipset and heatsink fans do not spin up. And, after I get the video card fan to spin up, I can't get it to do it again until I unlpug the board and plug it back in again. Is the board damaged? That's what it seems like!

It does indeed sound like you have a short of some sort. And with the onboard switches being broken off you don't know if any other traces or components were damaged in the area. I would suggest you RMA it.

Back