DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D horrors

O-P-M

Gawd
Got this board today and have not had a very good time. I hooked up my Antec NeoPower 480w to the board and plugged in all 4 power connectors. I get the power LED light on, I don't even get the ram LED on, on the motherboard. I try to start it up and I get nothing. Nothing at all. I try clearing cmos for 10 minutes and get nothing. I try using the power switch on the mobo and nothing. Is there anything with this board I should know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs for build:
Antec NeoPower 480w, which is working
DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D
Opteron 170 Denmark
2x1gb Corsair XMS PC4000
eVGA 7950GT KO

ur psu is not good enough, u need atleast 500+ watts of power according to dfi, and also dfi's dont like antecs to much, they have compatiblity problems

and u should also go to dfi-street.com and post about this because it is also there offficial help forum and they could probably help u more.

Check out DFI street for sure. Im surprised it wont atleast post with that PSU.. I have a 485 in mine with an overclocked 146 and its solid but its also an enermax psu... they are picky boards but it will be worth it in the end.

Ya I hear you on the picky boards part. Anyway, I just bought a Antec NeoHE 550w which I heard it a good choice for DFI boards. Just wondering if this would be the cure to my problem. I heard with the Opteron dual core and 7950GT KO overclock that it would be too much for my PSU. Thanks for any advice.

You don't HAVE to have a 500w+ psu for the damn DFI board. You need a GOOD psu for the DFI board. I ran mine on a OCZ Powerstream 420 for over a year until I upgraded everything when a power surge blew everything (cheapy APC UPS shorted out, PSU didn't like the adverse effects and felt it didn't need to be the only one to go).

DFI keeps raising the "minimum" psu spec on that board for some reason. When it initially was announced, the recommended minimum PSU wasn't even a 485w.

I'm using a neo550 with a 7900gto and opty 165 at 2.8 with 4 hard drives and a DFI ultra-D, without even a whisper at stability problems.

The motherboard does not need 500 watts of power. A statement like this is simply wrong. The motherboard simply needs a solid source of power that doesn't sag voltage under load. If all you have plugged in is the motherboard and a video card (no drives, no dual video cards) you won't be anywhere near even a 300watt draw. If you have RAM and a CPU plugged in and the board won't even POST with all power connections correctly made, something is likely wrong with the board (as long as you're sure the power supply functions). I would check for shorts against the case (take board out of case and try it on an insulated surface all by itself) and make absolutely sure ALL power connectors are plugged in securely. That would be the 20/24pin large ATX connector, the 4 pin 12v connector, the 4 pin (hardrive molex plug) PCI express power, and last of all, the floppy drive power connector on the board. You can see the little floppy power plug in this image, from the hardOCP review of the board - bottom center. White plug, 4 pins, open style, right at the end of the pci-x x1 slot.
1109906276KP57hw5CfZ_1_6_l.jpg

I'd say to double-check your build. I have a suspicion that your board is grounding out on the case. Check the standoffs and make sure that you don't have too many or too little. I've seen too many fuckups where someone has placed a standoff under the CPU socket or RAM MOSFET and fried the board.

The power supply advice given here is more than adequate. Sometimes DFI-Street can have their heads up their asses about power requirements, but that NeoPower should be able to power up that system. If you hear a "virgin" squeal come from your power supply after clicking the dummy switch on the back, the caps have failed or are failing.

It's the PSU, but not due to insufficient power. It's a compatibility problem. I read all about it when hunting for compatible parts. Email antec about it, they should know right away what you need to do. I'm running an enermax 535 and it's working fine.

I'd blame DFI for that one. A -5v rail is not required for a motherboard to POST.

O-P-M said:
Ya I hear you on the picky boards part. Anyway, I just bought a Antec NeoHE 550w which I heard it a good choice for DFI boards. Just wondering if this would be the cure to my problem. I heard with the Opteron dual core and 7950GT KO overclock that it would be too much for my PSU. Thanks for any advice.

i ran that board with an antec 500 watt tru control for 18 months, with an x2, 7800gt sli, and 7900gt sli, 4 sata drives, 2 opticals, 5 fans, 2gb ram, everything overclocked as far as it would go. also, after a while i didnt bother to plug in the molex and floppy power connectors to the board with no ill effects (i still use this board in a backup system and i still dont use the 2 extra power connections). i eventually had a 550watt psu on it that had an included wattmeter that was fairly accurate. i never drew more than 350-400 watts even while gaming with sli. your psu is fine.

I have never had trouble with my build, only the best from it. Seriously once you get it working, its GODLIKE

Back