Devil's Canyon Running At 5.5GHz On Air

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel just tweeted a photo from Computex showing a system running at 5.5GHz on air. :cool: If you aren't up to speed on the latest from Intel, I urge you to read our Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation here.

Sweet lord... I'm Definitely going to upgrade and put this under water once it's out.

I'm assuming that's cherry picked, but If I can hit 5Ghz on water, I'll be stoked.

I'm kind of annoyed I side-graded to a Z87+4670k from my venerable x58/i7-950 @4.2 combo. Should've held out another half generation.

Impressive, too bad it's only dual core though if they could get a quad core up to 5ghz on air and make it stable I'd definitely be interested in building a new system, looks like it still might be another year or two before we see this sort of technology consumer side though.

Impressive, too bad it's only dual core though if they could get a quad core up to 5ghz on air and make it stable I'd definitely be interested in building a new system, looks like it still might be another year or two before we see this sort of technology consumer side though.

Devil's Canyon is a quad core...

The Twitter post seems to imply that this is the i7-4790-K. So this isn't a dual-core CPU.

:eek: It might be (finally!) time to retire my 2500K.

Would be a rough choice...wait a year for broadwell or upgrade...really depends on how much you like reselling old part I would guess.(or if you can find secondary uses)

tumblr_m2ahwbppAU1qfqx4io2_500.gif

Oooooohhhhh. My poor credit card. Just got it paid off. Looks like I'm gonna have to load it back up.

Source?

http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/57835/1/

Shows a 4c/8t at 5.5ghz and another with a single core at 5.5.

The article as posted above:
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-06/intel-core-i7-4790k-erreicht-5.5-ghz-mit-luftkuehlung/

Translated:
"As part of the Intel OC Challenge for Computex 2014 the team MSI reached 5498.72 MHz on all four cores with air cooling. An even slightly higher clock speed of 5515 MHz scored the team Asus, although only one core was active."

Pretty nice. I'm excited to see what my liquid loop can do...or even just to get those speeds and keep everything nice and chilly.
I'm curious to see how it benches and if it'll make a whole lot of real world difference. Most of my horsepower is usually for gaming, and that's typically not where a new CPU shines.

Was the temps still acceptable or have they bumped up the TDP of this chip. If it can do 5.5Ghz somewhere in the 60-70's Celcius then that is pretty good.

if it's confirmed to be 4C/8T at 5.5ghz I'm all over it.

This is a best of the best, cherry picked CPU that did this. When they get released and there are more of these that do it, I'll be sold. But, there are those golden CPU's that just out perform the others. If it was just the first one they grabbed that did this, impressive. But, I could go out and get a dozen CPU's right now and find the best performing one and show it off...

Still, I'd love to have that one that can do 5.5 GHz. I'd upgrade my 2600K anytime for that. That's impressive! Time to go look at RAM prices. If I upgrade, I'm going for the whole thing. :D

Good news for the enthusiast community, no doubt. I'll still be good on my 4770k until Skylake-E with 6-8 cores and matured DDR4.

So what I want to know is can I hope to see up to 5-5.5Ghz on the Haswell-E CPU when it comes out?

30-32Ghz on one consumer grade CPU. :eek:

*yawn*, wake me up when new CPU's actually bring something interesting to the table again.

Bulldozer overclocks to 8+ ghz on LN2, ehrmagerd. Ivy Bridge to 7ghz, ehrmagerd. If this is 4c/8t then it's a bit more interesting than those, but if it's that 1c/1t or 2c/2t BS again...

rare cheery picked suicide volts I bet.

most 4770k's could do 4.2ghz, I bet DC will only be 4.4 on average.

Sticking with my 4.8ghz 2600k even longer :(

rare cheery picked suicide volts I bet.

most 4770k's could do 4.2ghz, I bet DC will only be 4.4 on average.

Sticking with my 4.8ghz 2600k even longer :(

well if DC comes stock at 4Ghz i would expect 4.2 is nothing for those cpus 4.4 should be nothing also i would expect 5ghz to be the normal average maximum most people can get with the cherrys being 5+

we will have to wait and see.

regardless tho i am holding out for X99 i want to see what it can do.

Man tough crowd. OK so it's a cherry picked CPU and the one you get probably won't do 5.5 so you'll just have to live with 5.0.....on air. Sign me up!

I agree if that's just 1 core then that's not that impressive but it's looking like it's across all 4 cores and it's on air so cherry picked or not that's pretty damn impressive and makes me want to buy one.

What's the hype? My 2500k "will do 5.0 ghz on air" enough for a twitter pic :eek:.

Source?

http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/57835/1/

Shows a 4c/8t at 5.5ghz and another with a single core at 5.5.

The article as posted above:
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-06/intel-core-i7-4790k-erreicht-5.5-ghz-mit-luftkuehlung/

Translated:
"As part of the Intel OC Challenge for Computex 2014 the team MSI reached 5498.72 MHz on all four cores with air cooling. An even slightly higher clock speed of 5515 MHz scored the team Asus, although only one core was active."

Seems like it actually was a combination of air and a radiator of liquid nitrogen vapor so not really something an average person would achieve unless you were storing your computer in a -50f degree room.

From the update though: Meanwhile, there are increasing indications that in the result of 5.5 GHz not only air cooling was used. While speaking both Intel and other media only air cooling, but partly also compact water cooler were used, the radiator was on top of that provided with cold liquid nitrogen vapor.

Devil's canyon sounds like a really hot place.

I wanna know the temps ar 5.5 ghz too.

Would be a rough choice...wait a year for broadwell or upgrade...really depends on how much you like reselling old part I would guess.(or if you can find secondary uses)

I agree, my 2500K will easily last another year.
But this is more like it, I'm optimistic next year will bring a worthy upgrade finally.
Not that I'm unhappy with what I have, but that enthusiast upgrade itch strikes every so often :D
Plus I'm on water so it should get a nice result.

However, being an early tester doesnt tend to net the better clocking CPUS and the 2nd gen motherboards always add something tasty.
Can I survive another 2 years without blowing my upgrade fuse...

Back