Devils Canyon i7-4790K $279.99 Microcenter pre-order

I picked one up in St. Louis. How is the batch number interpreted, and is there any significance? This one's L329Cxxx.

They didn't have the Pentium G3258 in stock yet.

I picked one up in St. Louis. How is the batch number interpreted, and is there any significance? This one's L329Cxxx.

Found this over at overclock.net

Stepping is in the batchnumber:

Example: L707A723 —

1st letter or digit = plant code: (Malaysia)
0 = San Jose, Costa Rica
1 = Cavite, Philippines
3 = Costa Rica
6 = Chandler, Arizona
7 = Philippines
8 = Leixlip, Ireland
9 = Penang, Malaysia
L = Malaysia
Q = Malaysia
R = Manila, Philippines
Y = Leixlip, Ireland

2nd digit = Year of production: (2007)
3rd & 4th digits = week: (7th week )
5th digit = Stepping (A or B or C)
6th – 8th digits = lot number: (723)
10th – 13th digits = serialization code (—)

Not sure how accurate it is.

I have a hard time understanding why Intel is selling 2013 Haswell chips as 2014 4790k.

I have a hard time understanding why Intel is selling 2013 Haswell chips as 2014 4790k.

Friendly sort that I bumped into at MicroCenter said they'd been binning their best for months to supply the 4790k, but I don't have any way to verify that.

They are building a MC near my house (5 minute walk)..... I think I might be broke in the future.... (Houston).

Not sure if it is a big upgrade from my oc 3770? Can anyone chime in?

I'm really thinking of grabbing one for my roommate. Do you think this would be a large enough upgrade over a I7 920 that runs 24/7 @ 3.6? Would need to grab a new board and memory also, which would be preferable.

Working in the DFW area has benefits. lol

Both my friend and I updated our Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO bio's to 1505 before installing the 4970k

We both had the same exact results, 4.875Ghz, but we are using a 125 bootstrap. 125 x 39 @ 4.875 ~ 1.35v

So we are pushing 5Ghz .. which I'm surprised about.

Unlike others, I DO NOT super heat up my CPU using stress tests mostly for the reason I will never, under most circumstances get into those type of real world scenario's. After several weeks of playing my games without issue, having the OS behave without issue, then I will start running those types of tests but never more than an hour.

But, as I said, I am OS and Game stable. I've tried out Wolfenstein maxed, BF4 Maxed. Xenonauts, Farcry 3 maxed and a few others. I did encode a few *,MTS HD videos from my Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm pancake using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate, which if you haven't used is very very slick .. and had no issues with that as well at the 4.875Ghz

update: I just tried IntelBurnTest and passed. For now, I want to just let the CPU burn in on it's own. As I said my friend has the same exact motherboard, cpu but his cooling solution is a Corsair H110. We have the same memory, Crucial Ballistix Sport LP 1.35v. For those of you that don't know, this is very cheap, half height memory that runs like a beast. We are hitting close to 2300mhz. You can take this memory to 2133 @ 1.65v a day long with 10-12-12-28-1

So far so good at 4.875Ghz. My cooling solution is the Banned in the US Swiftech H320 which can be purchased here - http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=86340&vpn=H320&manufacture=Swiftech. They do ship to the US or at least did when I ordered mine a few months ago.

You guys should really try the 125 bootstrap. I will give you the headroom to push 4.9Ghz or higher

The H220 and H320 are better reviewed than about most A,I.O. water coolers. Reason for the desirability

Now if only someone would benchmark it OC'd against a 2600K OC'd using the same damn benchmarks so we could have a meaningful comparison to use for decision making, life would better.

My 2600K is rock solid at a relatively modest 4.3 GHz (a little wobbly at 4.5)...so what would be the real world gains for moving up to the 4790K under two different scenarios: (1) gaming and (2) transcoding a la Handbrake or (3) Photoshop?

"Wow! Look! I shave 2 whole minutes off a 30 minute transcode" just doesn't make it worth the money.

Now if only someone would benchmark it OC'd against a 2600K OC'd using the same damn benchmarks so we could have a meaningful comparison to use for decision making, life would better.

My 2600K is rock solid at a relatively modest 4.3 GHz (a little wobbly at 4.5)...so what would be the real world gains for moving up to the 4790K under two different scenarios: (1) gaming and (2) transcoding a la Handbrake or (3) Photoshop?

"Wow! Look! I shave 2 whole minutes off a 30 minute transcode" just doesn't make it worth the money.

Yeah, I'm finding it kind of weird that review sites aren't doing this. People used to do all kind of IPC measurements for overclocked processors... ESPECIALLY with Bulldozer. Remember the great lengths everyone went to when that was disappointing?

Is this some kind of sacred cow? Why is no one eviscerating its shitness?

I'll probably buying one soon, but from an evolutionary standpoint haswell and devil's canyon are pieces of shit.

I'm on the same boat as you, except my 2600k runs @ 4.5.

Would be nice to see some benchmarks with OCed 2600k.

What temps would be considered normal for these cpu's on air cooling at the stock speed?

Just trying to get an idea of how much extra heat is pumping out with the OC. Seems like its a lot.

Last edited:
What temps would be considered normal for these cpu's on air cooling at the stock speed?

Out of the box stock these processors have been running very cool. I have not had one on air yet, but loaded at stock clocks and voltage I think you are staying sub-70s depending on how those load with Turbo settings.

How does this pair up to my 4930k ? I'm browsing some benches and nothing is clear cut what's the exact gain ? Besides the higher possibly overclock.

Aren't we all waiting for DDR4 supporting CPU's which are supposed to be available sometime the end of this year ?

Man, these MC deals make me so jealous. Living in WA, the best I have is fry's 100 miles away....

I'd jump on this deal in a heartbeat.

At least you are only 100 miles away -- across the state for me.

Thinking Devils Canyon will be the next upgrade.

So tempted to upgrade from my 3+ year old 2500k and Gigabyte Z68XP board.... although I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. But I do a lot of video encoding, so maybe the move to HT will help some....

I’m getting just about the same as Kyle as far as the throttling is concerned. I’m on air though so, 4.7 GHz at 1.27 is all; I’m able to get stable. Even running Prime it is stable at 4.7 at around 81-82c but it takes almost 15 minutes to get to 80c. If I try 4.8, I have to turn up the voltage to match Kyle's screenshot and my heatsink is unable to keep it from throttling. But idle temps are very good, even at 4.7; temps are around low 30's. Also unlike what I have seen with some of the latest Intel processors with issues with TIM or the lid, not making good contact with the die, all of the cores on my DC are within 2-3c of each other according to CoreTemp.

I’m getting just about the same as Kyle as far as the throttling is concerned. I’m on air though so, 4.7 GHz at 1.27 is all; I’m able to get stable. Even running Prime it is stable at 4.7 at around 81-82c but it takes almost 15 minutes to get to 80c. If I try 4.8, I have to turn up the voltage to match Kyle's screenshot and my heatsink is unable to keep it from throttling. But idle temps are very good, even at 4.7; temps are around low 30's. Also unlike what I have seen with some of the latest Intel processors with issues with TIM or the lid, not making good contact with the die, all of the cores on my DC are within 2-3c of each other according to CoreTemp.

That's excellent, thanks for results. Comparing that to *most* of the 4770k's I have gone through--4.2Ghz on air/AIO (same cooling setup as now essentially, just different chip...) they were badly lidded and would throttle in prime, some of them were much better on temps and could clock higher just randomly.

But is this an avx2 version of prime95 like v28.5 with low FFTs and HT on? That is way different from blend with HT off.

Not being skeptical of your testing just want to be completely detailed about these first wave of 4790k's is all. I have one incoming and I will be sending it through the deepest canyon I can find, with and without its lid on.

But is this an avx2 version of prime95 like v28.5 with low FFTs and HT on? That is way different from blend with HT off.

I used the 64bit Prime95 v28.5 with HT on and In-place large FFT's. I am actually glad you questioned the Prime95 result. I noticed that I should have done the small FFT instead of the large ones. So I will do that once I’m home in the morning and report my findings. But, what I do know is, my system is 100% stable doing other things besides Prime95 at 4.7 GHz. I went on a gaming spree for about 10 hours straight, not a single crash or overheating condition.:D

Edit: So I used small FFT this time, and on my heatsink in the Sig, I had to drop it down to 4.6GHz, but was also able to set it to default voltage, if you believe CoreTemp, it is 1.2144v, Asus Ai Suite is saying 1.248v so take that as it is. Prime95 has been running for an hour at this point and no throttling.

Last edited:
Just went to Tustin and they have the 4690k and 4790k $20 more then the advertised price

Back