Devils Canyon i7-4790K $279.99 Microcenter pre-order

I searched and it popped up. It shows as in stock locally, but I'm going to call, as I haven't received any email updated regarding my order.

Just in case anyone with a Sandy or Ivybridge was feeling the ¨itch¨ to upgrade *and is mainly concerned with gaming performance: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1164 (place your time/effort/money elsewhere in the system)

I wouldnt post OCAHOLIC info around here. It seems everyone does not believe their findings even though they seem very realistic. Kind of like everyone hating on Charlie even though he is usually spot on more than off these days.

Just in case anyone with a Sandy or Ivybridge was feeling the ¨itch¨ to upgrade *and is mainly concerned with gaming performance: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1164 (place your time/effort/money elsewhere in the system)

you know you linked a review that doesn't have a 4790K in it, right? or am i missing something? it's common knowledge cpus have been irrelevant to game performance since... pretty much forever?

Probably going to snag one up, I should be able to use my Maximus VI Gene right?

it's common knowledge cpus have been irrelevant to game performance since... pretty much forever?

I'm pretty sure that if I upgraded my cpu, I'd get a boost in gaming performance.

[Edit: also, we still have to wait another month or two for the new chipset to be released, don't we?
Should I wait and buy a mobo/cpu combo, or get in on this deal and pick up other components later?
What say you, [H]?]

Showing in-stock now, those who pre-ordered will probably get emails letting you know to pick them up.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434176/Core_i7-4790K_40GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

Oddly, I'm not sure. I called about mine and they found the order just fine. I asked if they had one held for me, and they said no but they would go in the case and get one when I arrived. I asked if I would have gotten an email or a call and again they said no.

They said my order confirmation email should have instructed me when to pick it up, but that said July 4.

you know you linked a review that doesn't have a 4790K in it, right? or am i missing something? it's common knowledge cpus have been irrelevant to game performance since... pretty much forever?

lol wat?:eek:

I'm pretty sure that if I upgraded my cpu, I'd get a boost in gaming performance.

[Edit: also, we still have to wait another month or two for the new chipset to be released, don't we?
Should I wait and buy a mobo/cpu combo, or get in on this deal and pick up other components later?
What say you, [H]?]

yeah, you'd get maybe one extra frame per second!

yeah, you'd get maybe one extra frame per second!

You do realize that I'd be upgrading to a faster CPU, a mobo with faster SATA connections, and DDR4 well in excess of my current 4GB of RAM, right? My hardware is old as shit and, while my CPU has plenty of power because I bought well, upgrading ought to net me substantial performance increases in almost everything.

Oh, I was unaware there is a difference between a 4770k and a 4790k save for stock clock values and lower temps (there isn't). So I'd say you are ¨missing something¨. Also, CPUs are not irrelevant to game performance............unless you have a Sandy/Ivybridge (which is why I posted that link).

Decent review, i wish there were Crossfire tests at higher resolution.
My upgrade/sidegrade is mostly for a better motherboard for crossfire spacing of the cards, more sata 6g slots and m.2 as wel. ALready have the z97-WS waiting.

If I was a little closer I would grab a 4790K over the 4770K if I needed a new processor.

Amazon dropped the pre-order ball again, so I cancelled my order from them this morning and got one from Newegg who showed them in stock. About two hours later and I got a shipping notification, woot!

Too bad I'm moving this weekend and probably won't be able to take it for a spin, but maybe Sunday. Maybe.

Yesterday around 5pm went to Tustin, CA MC and bought 4790k batch L329C244 made in Malaysia. They had just opened up 2 batches of them and had around 13 of them on display and I was told they had a lot more in their warehouse. No i5 refresh or anniversary unlocked Pentiums in stock.

Yesterday around 5pm went to Tustin, CA MC and bought 4790k batch L329C244 made in Malaysia. They had just opened up 2 batches of them and had around 13 of them on display and I was told they had a lot more in their warehouse. No i5 refresh or anniversary unlocked Pentiums in stock.

4790k 299+tax at this MC location. $20 more than their 4770k and $40 off Z97 MBS available when purchased with 4790k.

http://hardocp.com/news/2014/06/25/intel_devils_canyon_core_i74790k_in_hand

1403717926IefrYb2zjb_1_1.jpg

Amazon dropped the pre-order ball again, so I cancelled my order from them this morning and got one from Newegg who showed them in stock. About two hours later and I got a shipping notification, woot!

Too bad I'm moving this weekend and probably won't be able to take it for a spin, but maybe Sunday. Maybe.

Likewise. I like Amazon, but cancelled my preorder and have it coming from Newegg. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

You do realize that I'd be upgrading to a faster CPU, a mobo with faster SATA connections, and DDR4 well in excess of my current 4GB of RAM, right? My hardware is old as shit and, while my CPU has plenty of power because I bought well, upgrading ought to net me substantial performance increases in almost everything.

None of that matters. LOL, c'mon, cpu architecture and chipset features don't matter at all. :D

/sarcasm off

Of course, only in-store again. Thanks MC for being Morons again.....

You do realize why MC does this, right? It's to drive foot traffic in store where they have an opportunity to up-sell you on other things with higher margins.

Loss lead CPU's at Microcenter have been a thing for like 10 years.

Went down to Tustin MicroCenter from Los Angeles to preorder DC and I'm told "sorry the manager has instructed us to not take preorders. Sorry for the mistake on the WEB site."

:mad:

Worst Intel CPU launch that I have ever had.

SonDa5 - I feel your pain. I ordered many of my parts from Newegg and was going to drive down to MicroCenter, Tustin to pre-order the CPU. What a complete waste of time and frustration.

I used to work there when it first opened as a technician and then as the supervisor of walk-in tech support. I remember the general manager for the entire store was John Caldwell and then changed to Greg Miller (my boss at the time). It has since changed again 6 months ago. What I found out is their pricing and product supply doesn't come from the central MicroCenter (Columbus, OH) anymore. It's sad to see another brick and mortar going down hill.

So for those of you planning on driving down to MC, Tustin - CALL FIRST and get the name of the person you spoke to!

-b0n3z

I canceled my preorder. If it doesn't hit 5Ghz on air then I won't be buying one.

You do realize why MC does this, right? It's to drive foot traffic in store where they have an opportunity to up-sell you on other things with higher margins.

Loss lead CPU's at Microcenter have been a thing for like 10 years.

Which is why I am glad that we have a Micro Center fairly close (Richardson) AND both Fry's and Tiger Direct price match locally. Don't mind the 40 mile drive to pick up a processor $30 to $40 dollars cheaper than the Egg AND get $30.00 off when bundled with a mother board. Now as to buying other stuff there.....:rolleyes: depends on who has it cheapest. Hover Hound is your friend. :D

Did you ask them to grab you one that could do "5GHz on air"? :D

My batch number is from 2013. Odd that these chips took so long to get out. I can only hope that my batch is a special batch reserved for early owners to help market the greatness of DC.

Odd thing I noticed was the CPU was offset with the window and before leaving MC I looked at other 4790ks and all of them appear offset with the plastic window in the box like it wasn't packaged correctly.

Clearly.

Why did you post that? It shows an i5 spanking core 2 duos/quads which everyone knows it's already capable of doing. And it's not simply by 1 or 2 frame rates LOL.

wasn't sarcasm.

None of that matters. LOL, c'mon, cpu architecture and chipset features don't matter at all. :D

/sarcasm off

what he listed has little to no effect on game performance, other than the cpu.

Last edited:
i orderd one from tigerdirect, will be here tomorrow. but i am still waiting on a bios to be able to use it :(

need 2.80 Bios for my Asrock Extreme4 Z87 but its not up yet or under the beta bios's

My batch number is from 2013. Odd that these chips took so long to get out.

That's really weird. They probably just pulled some old 4770k chips, relabeled the IHS, glued on the new power-delivery thingies on the socket, injected some fancy TIM and then shoved them sloppily back in the relabeled packaging :p

I need a good mobo CPU bundle with the 4790k before I'm willing to spend the time and gas to drive the 2.5 hours to Atlanta. I've got to maximize savings if I'm going to spend that much time and $40-$50 on gas.

i orderd one from tigerdirect, will be here tomorrow. but i am still waiting on a bios to be able to use it :(

need 2.80 Bios for my Asrock Extreme4 Z87 but its not up yet or under the beta bios's

Have you checked ASROCK's ftp site? Maybe they just haven't updated the download page yet.

Micro Center in Marietta, GA (Atlanta) had two C batch # available today... both from Malaysia and priced at $279.99 plus $16.80 sales tax = $296.79 (Out-the-Door).

Which is why I am glad that we have a Micro Center fairly close (Richardson) AND both Fry's and Tiger Direct price match locally. Don't mind the 40 mile drive to pick up a processor $30 to $40 dollars cheaper than the Egg AND get $30.00 off when bundled with a mother board. Now as to buying other stuff there.....:rolleyes: depends on who has it cheapest. Hover Hound is your friend. :D
One reason I love Dallas is that we have a MC, TigerDirect (near Galleria) and four Fry's around (Arlington, Irving, Plano, Dallas). :D

Back