Devils Canyon i7-4790K $279.99 Microcenter pre-order

Any reason to think this isn't going to be the standard price at MC?

Any reason to think this isn't going to be the standard price at MC?

No. MSRP is $360, so this is well below that, however I don't think anyone knows for sure if this is "permanent" or not.

Man, these MC deals make me so jealous. Living in WA, the best I have is fry's 100 miles away....

I'd jump on this deal in a heartbeat.

Well if anyone wants one and can cover at least the cost to ship it; I can pick it up for a few people since I live nearby a MC when it comes out.

hotter than 4770k... g/w w/ that

I doubt that. Its the same core, just with a different PWD and different TIM. Literally the only reason it exists is to overclock better.

Certainly possible Intel somehow did the exact opposite of what they wanted to do, but im doubtful of it. Will wait to see the first reviews.

The real news IMHO is the low end Pentium G3258 is now unlocked.

Have not had a low end intel that was unlocked in forever.

Early reviews shows it runs much hotter than 4770K. Damn if these don't get ti 5Ghz, might have to just buy 4770K.

Please link us to all these "reviewS" that you speak of. There is one out there that may or may not be completely accurate.

Of course, only in-store again. Thanks MC for being Morons again.....

Might consider an upgrade if these things can hit close to 5 GHz.

Please link us to all these "reviewS" that you speak of. There is one out there that may or may not be completely accurate.

I read some review earlier that compared stock speed 4770k to stock speed 4970k and the 4970k was about 10% faster and and it ran hotter. Forgot the link... sorry.. it was a engineering sample so it may not have been in final form and in the review they stated that they didn't have any luck over clocking it.

Over clock a 4770k to 4.5GHZ and I think the performance would be nearly the same.

I have yet to see any detailed reviews that explain the electrical cirucuit improvements that were done to DC to make it perform better.

Early reviews shows it runs much hotter than 4770K. Damn if these don't get ti 5Ghz, might have to just buy 4770K.

The one review I saw at Hexus with an ES were benchmarking the 4970k at stock clocks with a 4770k at stock clocks... the 4970k being 500 MHz faster is going to contribute to higher temps.

Review fail.

I wouldn't be surprised at a 10 degC delta on a stock air cooler between the two. If they were smart they would have down clocked the 4970k and checked temperatures that way. They also made a comment on voltage needing to be higher on the ES to be stable at 4.4 GHz, which could contribute to higher temperatures as well.

Haha, exactly. That's like the most toughest thing to do these days, literally.....

I REALLY WANT to say some specific things about your character and intelligence, but I have to watch my quota limits for infractions:mad:..So I did the next thing and reported your blatant flame bait style posts;)..

People seriously need to be told why b&m stores offer better prices for instore customers?
Sad

Sad isn't the word. This world is just headed to Hell in a gas truck. I often stop work on our prep/storage area because I am not sure I want to come out after a major event only to find the Wallmart crowd is all that survived.:eek::eek:

The one review I saw at Hexus with an ES were benchmarking the 4970k at stock clocks with a 4770k at stock clocks... the 4970k being 500 MHz faster is going to contribute to higher temps.

Review fail.

I wouldn't be surprised at a 10 degC delta on a stock air cooler between the two. If they were smart they would have down clocked the 4970k and checked temperatures that way. They also made a comment on voltage needing to be higher on the ES to be stable at 4.4 GHz, which could contribute to higher temperatures as well.

This. What kind of "professional review site" wouldn't know to do this right off the friggin' bat? I could forgive them if you had a better then average 4770K that could O/C to the same settings as the 4790K with the EXACT same voltage/uncore settings.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that I will be going to my local MC to pick up my unlocked Pentium. I will be able to get a total of 3 of the 4790Ks if anyone here wants one. Must have been a member for at least 2 years (actively) and pony up the cost for tax (0.6%) and a medium rate flat box from USPS. Must have verified PP and Heat. PM if you are interested. I will be visiting the store next week.

Last edited:
Let's get this back on topic, should you want to talk about retailer strategies, please start a new thread.

Just got mine at MC with local tax for $303. Grabbed a Pentium as well. :)

I've stopped shopping at Newegg altogether this past few years and have instead gone to Microcenter. Not only do they price match, they have great prices on the main stuff.

The $279 on the 4790K will be their normal price most of the time. Not always. They do raise prices to normal price levels occasional I've noticed.

They suck people in with the low prices and hit them over the head when they buy video cards, motherboards, cases, etc.

You have to price match and they are happy to do it. But it does kill their profits.

Went down to Tustin MicroCenter from Los Angeles to preorder DC and I'm told "sorry the manager has instructed us to not take preorders. Sorry for the mistake on the WEB site."

:mad:

Worst Intel CPU launch that I have ever had.

The $279 on the 4790K will be their normal price most of the time. Not always. They do raise prices to normal price levels occasional I've noticed.

My local MC had the 4770k on sale today for $299.99+tax....

Hopefully Amazon will come through and have DC available for pre-order soon.

Tiger DIrect has it for preorder but I hate dealing with TD. Every time I have a problem with them.

Went down to Tustin MicroCenter from Los Angeles to preorder DC and I'm told "sorry the manager has instructed us to not take preorders. Sorry for the mistake on the WEB site."

Tustin REPRESENT.

Fun fact, theres a good KBBQ/All you can eat sushi place in like 5 miles from there. Omnomnomnom.

Tustin REPRESENT.

Fun fact, theres a good KBBQ/All you can eat sushi place in like 5 miles from there. Omnomnomnom.

Meh... KBBQ and sushi hasn't been a good experience for me. All Sushi yes.... All Korean BBQ yes... But mixed... meh.

I wish MC would have taken care of me. Now I have to get back in line to figure out a way to get a DC CPU.

MC Tustin blows balls now. They've probably lost a lot of money with those loss leaders. Before you could buy CPU by themselves at the low prices, but now you have to buy CPU/Mobo combo and now this.

Prices vary from store to store. I think the KC Metcalf Microcenter has the 4770K for $279

I was thinking ... to save money. I might just flip my 4770K and Asus Rog Hero w/ 16GB ram for $399 and put that money toward a new board / cpu this July. /thinking ............

I wish the MC in Michigan wasn't more than an hour away for me. After tax it comes out to about $300.... $40 more and I can get it from Newegg without all the driving. So lazy.

From the intel presentation I can see that it has more/different capacitors on the bottom of the chip. So it has a different TIM + different power delivery/regulation. I can't wait to see 5.0GHz+

I am thinking of pairing this up with an ASUS Hero/Ranger!

Meh... KBBQ and sushi hasn't been a good experience for me. All Sushi yes.... All Korean BBQ yes... But mixed... meh.

I wish MC would have taken care of me. Now I have to get back in line to figure out a way to get a DC CPU.

Separate restaurants next to each other. ;)

Anyone going to try to price match at staples?

Maybe wishful thinking but I hope we see the 4790K at $200 like the 4770K. I remember MC had that deal going for a short time.

I doubt it. They promptly stopped when people would buy just the processors and none of the other stuff they were hoping people would buy with them.

I doubt it. They promptly stopped when people would buy just the processors and none of the other stuff they were hoping people would buy with them.
I think that's how it is for them all the time. CPUs are the only things cheap at MC, with the exception of CPU + Mobo combos.

Back